Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Zirkzee being a 9.5 I was hoping we'd keep the box midfield when he came on, but for some reason Bruno stopped staying high through the middle and started drifting to LB to get on the ball.

Yeah Bruno started freelancing more towards the end, while Mainoo and Casemiro were gassed which is a large reason why the game got so stretched.

I don't even think we need to do the box midfield with JZ, he'll basically play like Martial did for us and drop deeper while Bruno can run in beyond. But out of possession it still looks shaky if our initial press isn't successful.

Brighton's easy, we'll put three past their kids. Liverpool the only bump in an easy fixture list till December

How the feck do you have any idea what Brighton are going to look like under a new manager? They've looked decent in pre season. Of course Brighton away will be tricky.

Nothing in this match convinced me that he knows what he's doing. We won because we brought on better players, but the game had become a messy, chaotic ping pong game by that point.

Still see him going this season.

It wasn't great by any means, there were several spells of 10-15 minutes where we lost control, but it didn't descend into the chaos of last year and we did have enough chances to score more. It's difficult to judge too much for the season as several players are still to come back and others will get sharper plus we have no idea how good Fulham are, there's every chance they will struggle, but it's positive to deservedly get the win in the meantime and for our new striking option to get off the mark straight away.

I don’t have anything against him (other than his trousers are too short) but I can’t shake the feeling that RVN already looks more like a MUFC manager than he does on the sideline.

Plus I don’t want to watch us be a “transitional/counter attack” team anymore. I want to keep the ball and attack with fury from the first whistle like we used to.

Also, only signing players you’ve worked with before is criminally under-imaginative. I can’t remember a time it has ever worked, it reminds me of Moyes and Fellaini.

Brighton's easy, we'll put three past their kids. Liverpool the only bump in an easy fixture list till December
Wouldn’t bank on it. We couldn’t put 2 past Fulham at home. Brighton are a better side and are at home so will look to dominate us.

How the feck do you have any idea what Brighton are going to look like under a new manager? They've looked decent in pre season. Of course Brighton away will be tricky.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but they are a long ways from the one under Potter, with Caicedo and others. They signed some kids with little experience and we should be steamrolling them especially with our new signings getting starts.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but they are a long ways from the one under Potter, with Caicedo and others. They signed some kids with little experience and we should be steamrolling them especially with our new signings getting starts.

They literally have a new manager and have made some ok signings. They're the unknown at the moment. Maybe they'll be awful or maybe this new manager will have them playing good stuff. It's still not an easy game.

We won't be steamrolling anyone.

It wasn't great by any means, there were several spells of 10-15 minutes where we lost control, but it didn't descend into the chaos of last year and we did have enough chances to score more. It's difficult to judge too much for the season as several players are still to come back and others will get sharper plus we have no idea how good Fulham are, there's every chance they will struggle, but it's positive to deservedly get the win in the meantime and for our new striking option to get off the mark straight away.

Yeah I'm not going to take a ton of conclusions either way from today about him, although I do hate his subs still and that will never seem to change.

Nothing in this match convinced me that he knows what he's doing. We won because we brought on better players, but the game had become a messy, chaotic ping pong game by that point.

I guess some people have made up their mind about him. Our pressing was better, we didnt concede any clear cut chance ( one was from a mistake from our own corner). Had over 100 more pass and with 85% possession. We missed 3 clear cut chance which on other day could have been goals. Every aspect of the game was better than last season.

Its not enough to challenge top teams but seeing no improvement is bit dishonest statement

We didn’t concede 20+ shots this game (or Man Utd recent games), I called it an improvement. Baby steps. Play compact first, have a solid defensive/midfield foundation, then flourish at the other end once our attackers found a bit of rhythm. I hope so anyway.

The tactic 4-2-4 is created chances and defended okay in the first half..
If we have better player, we are easy to win 4-0..we missed 4 big chances in this match..

It is definitely that Case + Mainoo + Bruno cannot work defensively (which similar to the last whole season) and Mainoo cannot handle 90 mins..so, pingpong condition was came after Mount subbed off

But, which manager can be done well without bring in better player who suitable for the tactic

Last edited:
Once we got going in the first half, we played well. My concern is that we only played well until half time. Second half, particularly after Mount came off, it was just pure chaos. No control, no ball possession. Just end-to-end ball pong. And that isn’t sustainable over the course of a whole season. He’s still failed to convince me that he’s the one until I see consistent, controlled 90 minute displays.

We have lost 4 of the last 5 against Brighton in the league. It won't be an easy game by any stretch.

With how unfairly negative the media have been toward us, it might be a good idea for him to create a siege mentality and galvanise the squad.

With how unfairly negative the media have been toward us, it might be a good idea for him to create a siege mentality and galvanise the squad.

We finished in the worst position in 34 years, we had a negative goal difference for the first time in Premier League history, we conceded more shots per game than any team in the top 5 European leagues.

I think we look much improved but the criticism is not even remotely unfair.

The tactic 4-2-4 is created chances and defended okay in the first half..
If we have better player, we are easy to win 4-0..we missed 4 big chances in this match..

It is definitely that Case + Mainoo + Bruno cannot work defensively (which similar to the last whole season) and Mainoo cannot handle 90 mins..so, pingpong condition was came after Mount subbed off

But, which manager can be done well without bring in better player who suitable for the tactic

How many midfielders has he had now? He's never once made it look good. We abandon/bypass the centre of the pitch for the most part.

Feck the media, it’s the fans who need to rally round and build support for Erik and the team but the negativity has already started because we didn’t play like prime 70’s Brazil in the first game of the season.

We didn’t concede 20+ shots this game (or Man Utd recent games), I called it an improvement. Baby steps. Play compact first, have a solid defensive/midfield foundation, then flourish at the other end once our attackers found a bit of rhythm. I hope so anyway.

I get what you're saying, but in his 3rd season, with all the money he's spent, he has to get us looking like a very good football team this season. There's simply no excuses anymore. Tonight just looked like last season, when we played an opposition who weren't great. A bit messy but get the win.

It's only the first game but within 2 to 3 months this has to be a thing of the past. People wanted to compare him to Arteta last season, and he had Arsenal playing some nice football by his 3rd season. It's time to stand on his own two feet now and show us what his vision for greatness is. We've hired two head coaches to help him as assistants too.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this plan of his is, and I'm sure it won't still be quick counter/ball over the top after a few games.

It’ll continue. They love bashing us. Dont think it was all unfair.

I think the most important thing at this stage of this particular season is to get results. If not it’ll be painted as the rot of last season continuing under ETH.

There are some mitigating factors - Pre season was a write off because of euros, still have injuries, potentially transfer business not complete. None of that will be mentioned if we start dropping points left right and centre

I'm giving him a clean slate this season tbh. What I did think was better was we did look defensively more solid, Martinez and Maguire being back and fit helped as did having two full backs with good pace. Kind of mad to think the team he started only had one new signing in it and still had Dalot out of position.

Things did start going haywire after his first set of subs, but I wonder how much of that is down to match fitness/sharpness.

Decent result, I can't blame him for a bunch of very good-to-unmissable chances going begging. Hopefully as more players build up their fitness and we eventually get someone for the midfield things can improve.

I get what you're saying, but in his 3rd season, with all the money he's spent, he has to get us looking like a very good football team this season. There's simply no excuses anymore. Tonight just looked like last season, when we played an opposition who weren't great. A bit messy but get the win.

It's only the first game but within 2 to 3 months this has to be a thing of the past. People wanted to compare him to Arteta last season, and he had Arsenal playing some nice football by his 3rd season. It's time to stand on his own two feet now and show us what his vision for greatness is. We've hired two head coaches to help him as assistants too.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this plan of his is, and I'm sure it won't still be quick counter/ball over the top after a few games.
We could have won this game 3-0, and you need to manage your expectations. It’s his third season, yes, but the team is still not his and is still lacking in key areas. He won us the game tonight, a game that we lost last year, and it could have easily been better than 1-0.

How many midfielders has he had now? He's never once made it look good. We abandon/bypass the centre of the pitch for the most part.
He only got Casemiro and Mount. Both may have been club signings not his. He got Amrabat last year but he’s not here anymore. The midfield still needs at least two new signings.

Not great overall but my bar for this year is low and I’m not expecting us to be very impressive. Somewhat similar to Wolves performance last year.

We are probably two windows away from having a proper ten Hag team.

Feck sake :lol:

We've only 8 players left from when Ten Hag arrived. 2-3 of those might well leave this month.

This is now undoubtedly Ten Hags team/squad.

Once we got going in the first half, we played well. My concern is that we only played well until half time. Second half, particularly after Mount came off, it was just pure chaos. No control, no ball possession. Just end-to-end ball pong. And that isn’t sustainable over the course of a whole season. He’s still failed to convince me that he’s the one until I see consistent, controlled 90 minute displays.
At least it wasn't 90 mins of ping pong. When the press got going it looked good. It actually looked far better than the previous season. Once we find some more fitness and sharpness I hope we can sustain more pressure closer to their goal.

I wasn't convinced last season but, I want to see where we're at come November. I thought this was an improved performance especially defensively. So I'm willing to give him some patience now.

We could have won this game 3-0, and you need to manage your expectations. It’s his third season, yes, but the team is still not his and is still lacking in key areas. He won us the game tonight, a game that we lost last year, and it could have easily been better than 1-0.

I don't think we were great. That performance against a better team and we won't be saying "we could have won 3-0". I said these would be shite and they were, tougher games ahead. We have to improve, it's a simple as that. And I'm sure we will. He's signed plenty of players now, can near enough field 2 teams he's signed probably. I'm sure we'll be playing some amazing football soon, even he thinks we can win the league. You lot need to lift your expectations because we have a bloody good squad of players.

I don't think we were great. That performance against a better team and we won't be saying "we could have won 3-0". I said these would be shite and they were, tougher games ahead. We have to improve, it's a simple as that. And I'm sure we will. He's signed plenty of players now, can near enough field 2 teams he's signed probably. I'm sure we'll be playing some amazing football soon, even he thinks we can win the league. You lot need to lift your expectations because we have a bloody good squad of players.
We weren’t great but we weren’t horrible either. We were better than we were against them in the same fixture last year, much better. I told you before the game that I wouldn’t expect us to steamroll Fulham, for that matter I don’t expect us to have it easy against many of PL teams, but in the end we got the win and we deserved it.

I was enjoying that first half. Good pressing, lot of energy, patiently looking for openings and two massive chances we should have converted.

Then that second half.. Something I'm curious about is why do we still hoof the ball up the field 20-30 times a game? Is this something ETH tells them to do or are they collectively brainfarting? Second half was woeful in terms of possession and frustrating to watch because the first was pretty good. Sadly we always seem to need such a long time before we take back momentum.

At least one big improvement is that they played that game out without any nerves. Usually a game like this would end in pure chaos and panic after we scored.

We looked like a slightly above average PL team, not significantly better than Fulham. At least the new signings(Zirkzee and Mazraoui) looked impressive.

We don't really excel at anything, any aspect of football. Our players are neither physically(speed, strength) imposing(we're losing a lot of physical duels) or technically great - when we consider whole team as a unit. Midfield can't control games(hot potato show with Bruno and Casemiro). Center backs are slow. Forwards can't finish(Garnacho's miss was really embarrassing, Bruno is just going straight at the keeper twice). Build up is often shaky. Pressing can be good, but is inconsistent.

A lot of things aren't his fault(probably), but I don't see how ETH survives this season as Man Utd manager. Sacking was just delayed for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.