Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame, but everything he says will be optimised by the football journo' industry, which is relentless. ETH does himself few favours too, sometimes he should be a little more prudent with what he says.

It's nuts to say, but it almost feels like tomorrow is an important game. It isn't... but it, is... all very fragile. But a good performance and confident result will do wonders. I think we will be ok.

It's a shame, but everything he says will be optimised by the football journo' industry, which is relentless. ETH does himself few favours too, sometimes he should be a little more prudent with what he says.

It's nuts to say, but it almost feels like tomorrow is an important game. It isn't... but it, is... all very fragile. But a good performance and confident result will do wonders. I think we will be ok.

Fulham have gone backwards in terms of their squad. This should be an easy win and a dominant performance.

I used to be so positive...

Once a very long time ago i thought Chadwick was the next big thing, i thought Moyes was gonna do good, i really do belive to this day RVN is better than Henry.

But going into this season, i hear alot of people is positive. But i just dont belive in Ten Hag. I dont see it as a good sign he keeps getting the players he knows. I dont think he learns by hes own mistakes, and i still belive this job is way to much for him.

I hope im wrong, but i think we see another really bad season.

As a former critic of Ten Hag I must say that the man has grown! His presser today was night and day compared to his last seasons. Not a single "eh". His english was a lot better and his aggressive tone was not present. That together with no head shakes that comes with his nervousness. Combined it felt calmed and assertive. Hope the team feels the same!

For him I hope that the new coaching team and the new players that arrived this summer will make him feel a bit more comfortable in his role. Further let's hope for less drama this season with players in social media and law problems. And finally, let's hope players can stay fit!

I think more people like me that had a hard time liking him actually can change our view if he continues on the route he showed today!

Half of the starting eleven have only had one preseason game, which is the point he's making and pointing out that other sides with international players are in the same boat

I mean you're just repeating the article so I don't see how that isn't what he said? It's a list of excuses.

I don't think he was being negative per se he's just a very uninspiring literal man, he'll basically just answer the question. Most managers would talk us up and spin it positively.

I'm not sure any manager should be saying the team isn't ready on the dawn of a new season but hey that's just me.
Why don't you just say you don't like him and be done with it.

Of course he is under pressure, last season was an utter shit show outside of a handful of games, a baffling set up that was persisted with for no reason for far too long.

But he has been backed and he can turn it around, but he doesn't have that new signing gloss on him now, he will have to regain trust.

Arguing with another member
Why don't you just say you don't like him and be done with it.

No thanks Karen just making a mild comment on a united event. I apologise if such behaviour causes you such hysteria but crack on.

I'm not saying this is happening before I make someone cry...

But if it came out in the Athletic in January - after Ten Hag is sacked - that he'd vetoed all of INEOS's transfer suggestions who weren't on his personal list of targets, and INEOS were effectively forced to agree to the ones Ten Hag wanted this Summer, would you be shocked?
They both have vetos, so whats your point you are actually trying to make?

Fowler is a cnut but I would still put money on ETH being gone by January. It will be a new level of pressure now that he has been heavily backed.

They both have vetos, so whats your point you are actually trying to make?
It’s something I see joked about. Wondered how many on here thought there could be some legitimacy to it, or whether it was just jokes

As usual I get a lot of people unhappy with me for asking the question

Fowler is a cnut but I would still put money on ETH being gone by January. It will be a new level of pressure now that he has been heavily backed.
This is my fear. Like every sane United supporter I want ten hag to absolutely smash it this season and for United to look like a team not far from a title challenge

But it’s inevitable that a couple of bad results that the mood from last season will come roaring back. I also find it hard to see him being here come 2025. Hopefully we’re wrong

My honest assessment of ETH is that he was quite naive last season. He entered last season expecting much too much movement in our setup, which eventually hurt us. He came into his first season with enough caution to enjoy some success, but he ran off the rails last season, believing he could directly apply his 21/22 Ajax tactics to United. The speed and intensity of the league did not allow that to happen.

There is a reason why hardly any team in England has adopted a 4141. Unlike Spain, Germany, and Holland, where teams are given ample time and space to transition and change shapes on frequently, failure to transition defensively quickly is swiftly punished in England. The 4141 is inherently offensive, therefore we were punished when we were unable to rapidly transition (which was fairly often). It's a bad shape to have as a mid or defensive block, and our pressing was too poor to keep teams high up the pitch, so we were constantly under assault.

The media loves to portray Sir Alex as more of a man manager than a tactician because he preferred to set up in a 442 shape. This completely ignored the fact that the 442, closest followed by the 343, are the best defensive shapes to have, as they cover the most ground on the pitch. Its the best shape to get numbers up the pitch and to drop down to when trying to defend. In a league where transitions were and are still so important, its still one of the best shapes to employ. The current 4231 shape we use readily changes into a 442 while pressing, in a midblock, and in a defensive block, allowing us to always be ready for transitions when we lose the ball.

Even Pep struggled to adjust to the demands of the Premier League during his first season. He learned to adjust over time and refined his tactics to meet the needs of the league. This is why he inverted his full backs and made adjustments throughout the years to ensure his sides can enjoy the fluidity he seeks. Pep is also an excellent tactical in-game manager, which allows him to quickly solve new challenges that disturb his team's fluidity during a game. Ten Haag does not have that in his locker.

This simple change and acknowledgement is why I think we will have a much better season than last season ( without even discussing transfers). I think ETH set up that team to fail without realizing just how flawed his approach was. It made players like Casemiro look much worse than they were. The constant pressure we were under when we lost the ball, didn't allow us to control games, so our more attacking players received far less of the ball than they should have, relying on moments of brilliance rather than constructive play. I feel last season, we were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Off the ball, we had a system in transition borne off the ill-suited nature of the shape, so relied on our pressing and keeping the ball in the backline to avoid attacks from the opposition. Both of which we did pretty badly last season. This season, our shape allows us to have confidence when we don't have the ball, and it provides a strong platform to press. In addition, we have far better ball players in the backline.

Yes as there is absoutely no way Sir Jim's team would put themselves in a position where the manager can veto all their signings after a fortune has been spent assembling a team to find and buy players.
+1

There’s no way sir Jim buys into his childhood club and then allows the manager to undo all his plans. Ten Hag would have been straight out the door.

Arguing with another member
No thanks Karen just making a mild comment on a united event. I apologise if such behaviour causes you such hysteria but crack on.
I mean your reply is wayyyyy more Karen than anything I said. Pull the stick from out of your arse :lol:

As a former critic of Ten Hag I must say that the man has grown! His presser today was night and day compared to his last seasons. Not a single "eh". His english was a lot better and his aggressive tone was not present. That together with no head shakes that comes with his nervousness. Combined it felt calmed and assertive. Hope the team feels the same!

For him I hope that the new coaching team and the new players that arrived this summer will make him feel a bit more comfortable in his role. Further let's hope for less drama this season with players in social media and law problems. And finally, let's hope players can stay fit!

I think more people like me that had a hard time liking him actually can change our view if he continues on the route he showed today!
That’s just because we’re at the start of the season. The rank journos will go after whoever is under pressure as always and it’ll get to them. Hopefully it’s not ETH.

I think we’re going to have a decent season. Still issues with what our midfield will look like but the squad is in a much better place and there’s more guys around now who seem to push each other like Licha, De Ligt (supposedly), Bruno etc. Even guys like Antony despite a very poor season has that dog in his to compete. Someone like Ugarte would really shore up the middle of the park in my opinion as well.

Fulham have gone backwards in terms of their squad. This should be an easy win and a dominant performance.
Have they? They lost Palhinha and Willian but neither played at OT last season in a game when they outplayed us. They got Smith Rowe now too. We will be favorites but we should not them for granted. Hope ETH gets us a win.

Have they? They lost Palhinha and Willian but neither played at OT last season in a game when they outplayed us. They got Smith Rowe now too. We will be favorites but we should not them for granted. Hope ETH gets us a win.

They also lost Tosin.

Except for Smith Rowe, they didnt bring in anyone substantial. They are ok, but we should still win comfortably.

Completely forgot about that game. We were at pretty much full strength except for Shaw and Hojlund.

Didn't Pep say similar to ETH in that City won't be ready until after the international break or have I just imagined that?
Doesn't count, with Pep it's philosophical but With Erik it's just ramblings of a Dutch loser.

I could swear some people on this thread were saying he’s too negative.

See my post above and that from @izec

They lost their best player and their best defender arguably. They signed Smith Rowe but they've seemingly not replace those who left. Willian has also gone, and he featured in 31 PL games last season.

I think they have. They've lost Palinha and Tosin Adarabioyo, they lost Willian who was still performing well enough. Their only real signing has been Smith-Rowe.
Palhinha and Willian did not play at OT when they beat us 2-1, the only loss is Tosin who has been replaced by Cuenca, and they added Smith Rowe. We deserved to lose that game too, not like it was an unlucky defeat. It won't be an easy game.

We have a nightmare calendar to open the year. Brighton A, Liverpool H, Southampton A, Palace A, Tottenham H and Villa A next, coupled with injury crisis we currently have, new players needing time to bed in and some of our players only recently returning from Euro, we should not be expecting miracles from the first 7 fixtures.

Palhinha and Willian did not play at OT when they beat us 2-1, the only loss is Tosin who has been replaced by Cuenca, and they added Smith Rowe. We deserved to lose that game too, not like it was an unlucky defeat. It won't be an easy game.

Tosin was their best defender, and the other 2 played when we beat them earlier in the season. We should be beating them comfortably. The only reason they beat us is because of suicidal tactics - even a slightly more logical approach will see them struggle tonight. And we've invested even further since last season.

They've lost a lot of players that were involved heavily last season and haven't made too many moves in terms of replacements. Tosin and Ream in defence both made 20+ appearances, Decordova-Reid, Palhinha and Willian all made 35+ appearances. Yeah, they've brought in ESR but I think their squad is weaker this season, aswell as their first XI (at this current time anyway).

Tosin was their best defender, and the other 2 played when we beat them earlier in the season. We should be beating them comfortably. The only reason they beat us is because of suicidal tactics - even a slightly more logical approach will see them struggle tonight. And we've invested even further since last season.
Shades of 2006-07 if we beat them tonight. Hope it's the same and we kick on to have a spectacular season like we did back then.

His main target, the one he can control, is to win more games. All the rest will follow suit.

I find this quite interesting, I was bored and started looking at some things, it means nothing but given our recent purchases wanted to look at some figures for my own interest.

If ETH survives to the end of the season, he will have been in charge longer than anyone post SAF

ETH 1061 days total transfer spend to date £518.57m
OGS 970 days total transfer spend £393.21m
JM 901 days total transfer spend £396.18m
LVG 680 days total transfer spend £234.68m
DM 296 days total transfer spend £65.56m

Spend is outgoings only, and includes loan fees, and not down to the last penny

I wanted ETH out, but now that he is staying I want him to succeed, but I do not think there can be any excuses this time if he doesn't he will have had more time and money than any other post SAF manager, he will have the highest daily spend of any Utd manager, ok I know inflation obviously skews somethings but still If a manager has spent half a billion pounds on players then there really is nowhere to hide,

I was encouraged by the performance in the CS so am hoping against hope that things will be different this season, I certainly think that INEOS are making smarter player purchases so far, am hoping he sticks with Amad, I think he will help Hoijlund when he is back fit, am also excited by the prospect of having a decent CB pairing or rather 3 rotating seems like a long time since Vidic and Rio.

Lets hope that either ETH has learned his lessons or has been given strict instructions and we do not see the kamikaze style football we saw last season, am always ridiculously optimistic before each season and this one is no different

I find this quite interesting, I was bored and started looking at some things, it means nothing but given our recent purchases wanted to look at some figures for my own interest.

If ETH survives to the end of the season, he will have been in charge longer than anyone post SAF

I wanted ETH out, but now that he is staying I want him to succeed, but I do not think there can be any excuses this time if he doesn't he will have had more time and money than any other post SAF manager, he will have the highest daily spend of any Utd manager, ok I know inflation obviously skews somethings but still If a manager has spent half a billion pounds on players then there really is nowhere to hide,

I was encouraged by the performance in the CS so am hoping against hope that things will be different this season, I certainly think that INEOS are making smarter player purchases so far, am hoping he sticks with Amad, I think he will help Hoijlund when he is back fit, am also excited by the prospect of having a decent CB pairing or rather 3 rotating seems like a long time since Vidic and Rio.

Lets hope that either ETH has learned his lessons or has been given strict instructions and we do not see the kamikaze style football we saw last season, am always ridiculously optimistic before each season and this one is no different
ETH needs prime Roy Keane in midfield, prime Henry in attack and prime Maldini and Baresi in defense for his system to work. Until then opposite super teams like fulham and coventry will keep outplay us. In other words- the transfer window was pretty solid but the most important signing should have been a new manager

+1

There’s no way sir Jim buys into his childhood club and then allows the manager to undo all his plans. Ten Hag would have been straight out the door.
Dude. How is he allowing Ten Hag to “undo his plans”????

His investment is 1.3b. He’s in for the long haul. 6-7m payoff if he sacks ETH is nothing compared to 600m in revenue. It’s literally 1% of revenue. He will sack anyone to protect his 1.3b investment. Anyone would mate.

I think the argument is that ETH inherited a much, much worse team than his predecessors and needed to make more changes. I think he's still at least 2 Summers away from having the team he needs to play his football, e.g. our midfield alone probably needs 2-3 new players and we haven't got even one this Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.