Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most likely Ruud will take over if Eth leaves during the season. But let's see, I hope Eth surprises us all this year.

That does seem to be the plan yeah
But can’t see Ruud getting the job permanently if he does land the gig of managing the season.

I'm not saying this is happening before I make someone cry...

But if it came out in the Athletic in January - after Ten Hag is sacked - that he'd vetoed all of INEOS's transfer suggestions who weren't on his personal list of targets, and INEOS were effectively forced to agree to the ones Ten Hag wanted this Summer, would you be shocked?

Then INEOS would have to face the music for acting like prats.

My assumption is that they are happy with the players we’ve signed.

But if it came out in the Athletic in January - after Ten Hag is sacked - that he'd vetoed all of INEOS's transfer suggestions who weren't on his personal list of targets, and INEOS were effectively forced to agree to the ones Ten Hag wanted this Summer, would you be shocked?
I’d be very surprised, yes. I don’t think he had anything to do with Yoro transfer and most likely not with Zirkzee either.

I’d be equally surprised if he had absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with De Ligt and Mazraoui transfers like some believe.

GUtoTcbXQAAzqtg

Robie Fowler

Liverpool thugs already started barking before we even kick a ball for this season.

Oh Robbie. What a fool. Arne will be sacked before Erik, and I tend to believe we will win the league before Liverpool do again too. It’s over mate, Klopp is gone - dry your eyes and accept it.

Yes as there is absoutely no way Sir Jim's team would put themselves in a position where the manager can veto all their signings after a fortune has been spent assembling a team to find and buy players.

It’s not really his squad though. Still plenty of players left from pre ETH era and we also don’t have the knowledge of how many of our signings were actually his.
I see you :lol:

Most still don’t know that you’ve been hilariously stirring the pot haha

Even if he does reasonably well, like 10th-12th, I would seriously consider him.
That is more than reasonably well, that would be an incredible result. Everyone everywhere is predicting them straight down again, reasonably well would be to be in the fight to stay up.

That is more than reasonably well, that would be an incredible result. Everyone everywhere is predicting them straight down again, reasonably well would be to be in the fight to stay up.
Exactly I doubt there is even 1% chance they finish top half.

Yeah you’re right.

I give him see leeway as it's not his first language but he always speaks in this negative/excuse manner and it can't do the team any good.

Just show some fecking positivity for a change, almost makes me miss LvG as at least he'd be positive.

Excuses already out, and the fans will back him.

I give him see leeway as it's not his first language but he always speaks in this negative/excuse manner and it can't do the team any good.

Just show some fecking positivity for a change, almost makes me miss LvG as at least he'd be positive.
I mean that's not what he actually said. Someone asked him if United are ready for the season and he basically said that no because not everyone is 100% yet and the new players are still settling in etc, but that was expected because of the Euros and Copa America, and he's not using it as an excuse because every team has the same problem.

I mean that's not what he actually said. Someone asked him if United are ready for the season and he basically said that no because not everyone is 100% yet and the new players are still settling in etc, but that was expected because of the Euros and Copa America, and he's not using it as an excuse because every team has the same problem.
Even the article itself actually shows this:
"The team is not ready but the league starts," said Ten Hag.

"We can't hide from it. We have to deal with it."
That already sounds quite different from the heading, which sounds cowardly. And so apparently his actual response had still further nuance to it, by what you're saying.

I mean you're just repeating the article so I don't see how that isn't what he said? It's a list of excuses.

I don't think he was being negative per se he's just a very uninspiring literal man, he'll basically just answer the question. Most managers would talk us up and spin it positively.

I'm not sure any manager should be saying the team isn't ready on the dawn of a new season but hey that's just me.

Interesting how Fowler proposes Southgate as a viable replacement.

In fairness, many on here would agree with what is written if not its author.

Just want to shut all these dumb fecking pundits that has United outside the top 4 this season. And this man can hopefully make this happen. It’s literally pissing me off now

I see the complete opposite. I think he spent months and months last season saying no excuse and only when it was too late did he change the narrative to bring up mitigating factors. How many times did people say he needed to get stuck into the refereeing before he even so much as hinted at it? For me, there’s a fine line between stating the facts and making excuses. He has given an honest answer to a question, and had the honesty again to state that it’s a challenge facing most teams so it’s no excuse.

I do agree he could be a bit more bullish, but I’d take honesty over bullsh*t every day of the week.

Everyone on here has been moaning that we aren’t ready….. do you want him to condescend you and say we are?

There was nothing negative or defensive or anything as an excuse in what he said..

He said the team is not fully ready because
- players coming late from the euros.
- new players come in late and perhaps more players will still come/leave.
- the usa trip.

Thats just stating facts after which he said its something he just has to deal with, just as a lot of other teams.

He needs to perform.

We are at €608 Million as transfer fees since ETH arrived here.
For sure for over 600m we need better return than what we have been served in the last few years. You don't need 600m to have controlled football matches and not being overrun.

Don't see why people just don't go and watch the video rather than reading paraphrased headines that have nothing to do with what he actually said.

Just a reminder before the season starts.

The way the press treated ten hag at the end of last season was disgraceful. From that awful, deliberate article before the final, to Lineker after. Theyve started this season all guns blazing and he'll get a real going over this year - compared for example, to the guy who has led a cheating team to several titles, who they dare not ask anything of.

Obviously ten hag has to deliver, but as fans we could do with some fact checking before reacting to these stories and headlines.

Agreed. How about he says "we still have work to do but the staff and players are ready for the season."

Easy and simple. Not hard is it?

Don't see why people just don't go and watch the video rather than reading paraphrased headines that have nothing to do with what he actually said.

Well the actual headline is telling. Ten Hag says Man Utd 'not ready' to face Fulham.

The only words he said in that sentence were 'not ready' but everything is click bait these days. When newspapers were on paper so of the relevant information was in the first paragraph and they'd expand as they go. Now they want you to see all the ads so it's bs headlines and the actual information is buried 10 paragraphs down.

Agreed. How about he says "we still have work to do but the staff and players are ready for the season."

Easy and simple. Not hard is it?

He also said

"It's not about the players who are not available," the Dutchman said.

"It's also what I said always last season: it's about the players who are available and we have a good group, we can make a strong selection."

And that Luke Shaw shouldn't take too long to be available, which is good news, but that obviously they can't rush it.

@Withnail

If it's one thing I really hope he's learnt from last season it's that Shaw needs to be brought back slowly and not immediately thrown in as a first teamer. Bring him in as a sub for a few games first. A slow, steady approach. Treat him like a new born lamb.

Well the actual headline is telling. Ten Hag says Man Utd 'not ready' to face Fulham.

The only words he said in that sentence were 'not ready' but everything is click bait these days. When newspapers were on paper so of the relevant information was in the first paragraph and they'd expand as they go. Now they want you to see all the ads so it's bs headlines and the actual information is buried 10 paragraphs down.

Football journalism is in the gutter.

I mean you're just repeating the article so I don't see how that isn't what he said? It's a list of excuses.

I don't think he was being negative per se he's just a very uninspiring literal man, he'll basically just answer the question. Most managers would talk us up and spin it positively.

I'm not sure any manager should be saying the team isn't ready on the dawn of a new season but hey that's just me.

It was more akin to saying the team hasn’t fully gelled rather than not ready. Ten Hag doesn’t always get across his point that well so it takes some interpreting rather than just the literal words he said.

It was essentially just saying in an ideal world you’d have everybody working together for 5-6 weeks and developing the team but with the Euros and Copa America, injuries and new signings that work is still ongoing and not where it would ideally be for the first game of the season. However, lots of teams are in the position.

@Withnail

If it's one thing I really hope he's learnt from last season it's that Shaw needs to be brought back slowly and not immediately thrown in as a first teamer. Bring him in as a sub for a few games first. A slow, steady approach. Treat him like a new born lamb.

Yeah me too. Those are the noises he's making so I'd hope so. Also you have a bit more leeway at the start of the season when there isn't so much pressure.

We all know Robbie likes creating the lines. Turns out the one's he makes these days are made of a different kind of s**t.

Status
Not open for further replies.