Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
No other manager in the world has been given more than Erik ten Hag. The time, the players, the resources, everything. Any other club he would have been sacked back in June instead. Now he even has the much-vaunted structure to support him. The amount of trust he has been given is unparalleled. He doesn't have a single pathetic excuse left. Time to deliver a befitting campaign. Not next season, not after Christmas, but starting this week against Fulham. Proper football, no more of last season's shite. And anything short of 75 points and a Europa League final should be considered a failure.

I don't expect him to last the season.

The whole club was a mess when he came in, the squad was a mess, the squad building and planning was a mess. The players at the club weren't good enough to play possession football or front foot attacking football. There was a severe lack of quality all over the pitch.

That all takes time and money to rectify, 3 years minimum to get the squad balance and quality up to a standard where you can compete at the top end of the table and another year or two to actually push on and get over the line and win the league and be competitive in the latter stages of the Champions League.

It's his third season now, this is the one where he has to shit or get off the pot. Be right up there at the top end of the table, get that CL spot and perhaps win the EL and add the FA Cup / League Cup, to get these players used to winning as a group. If he can get the team to do that this season, then next season is the one where you push on and go for the PL title.

If he doesn't and it's a rinse and repeat of the football and results of last season, then he won't be at Utd by the end of it.

No other manager in the world has been given more than Erik ten Hag. The time, the players, the resources, everything. Any other club he would have been sacked back in June instead. Now he even has the much-vaunted structure to support him. The amount of trust he has been given is unparalleled. He doesn't have a single pathetic excuse left. Time to deliver a befitting campaign. Not next season, not after Christmas, but starting this week against Fulham. Proper football, no more of last season's shite. And anything short of 75 points and a Europa League final should be considered a failure.

You can argue he's done a lot more than Arteta did in his first 2 seasons which would make Arteta the manager who has been given the most time.

Arteta says hello

Ratcliffe himself said that Ten Hag was badly let down by the club, basically he wasn’t even facilitated in a professional manner. That has changed, however, but any manager will still need time to get things right on the pitch. And a lot of new players to settle in. So patience will be required by all. Setting targets is not realistic, I think judging progression in terms of improving the play on the pitch will be more realistic imo.

Competent football will translate to points on the table. Of course, you can always get bad referee calls, or just unlucky situations, and end up dropping points. But these things are taken into consideration, I'm sure. You can also get lucky, as well.

There are no two ways about it - it's delivery time as far as this manager is concerned.

Competent football will translate to points on the table. Of course, you can always get bad referee calls, or just unlucky situations, and end up dropping points. But these things are taken into consideration, I'm sure. You can also get lucky, as well.

There are no two ways about it - it's delivery time as far as this manager is concerned.
INEOS themselves have said that they’re looking at progressing on the pitch, not in terms of results. Although of course improvement on the pitch will eventually translate in to results.

We played Maguire and Evans in defence last weekend. That’s the 2020 Leicester city CB pairing !!

But with De Licht now I do agree that we should hav enough. I suppose my point is that we had to play a makeshift defence and no striker a week before league starts. This really shouldn’t be happening during the season. It seldom happens to teams challenging for the league or at the top , we can’t expect to be consistent in the league if our managers have to keep chopping and changing with below par alternatives.

We need to get to the point where whatever manager we have had actual solid options on the bench to change games not going well. That’s been seldom the case for a long long time.

in saying that, I agree with you so don’t want to look like I’m arguing!
And still had a good game ;) I see your point, but I think we're looking very strong with attacking options now. That said, I am more worried about the quality of first-choice players rather than their backups/rotation options.

And still had a good game ;) I see your point, but I think we're looking very strong with attacking options now. That said, I am more worried about the quality of first-choice players rather than their backups/rotation options.
Agreed, I see this season more about the restructure and longer term quality of the squad , moreso then high ambitions.

On paper, the transfer business looks and feels good. A couple of seasons of better value signings, stronger squad options for our managers, club moving on unwanted players and then the marquee top up signings can take us to the next level.

He has now been fully backed.

Let’s see; will the Fulham performance be like the last two vs City? Or will it be like the opening game vs Wolves.

We need a dominant performance, strong ball retention, attacking patterns of play, less chances created against, and a good result.

Two midfielders and I’d agree.

Casemiro and Eriksen are the only central midfielders we’ve signed permanently in four years.

I quite like our business so far, and Ten Hag needs better performances and results, but INEOS need to pull the finger out some more and solve some of our problems once and for all.

Our current midfield options are abject (Mainoo aside).

What about all the Brighton, Burnley, Wolves games in which ETH was outplayed by opposition managers?

Eth just played Oleball on the final, he did well to adjust the tactics to the team so does deserve the credit, but it's something we've seen before under other managers so not exactly revolutionary.
We were magnificent on and off the ball in the final. It was far from a ‚sit back and hit them on the counter‘ approach.

We were also the better team in the final the year before, and in the community shield. Now, which other manager has shown such dominance tactically against supposedly the best manager in the world with a lesser squad?

With the signings of De Ligt and Mazraoui, he now has a genuinely excellent side that is both built in his image and is suited to play possession football. I felt like even last season, the attempt to make us the 'best transition team in the world' was a step in the wrong direction, both in that transition football has a fairly low ceiling I think but also because I think most of our side are much better suited to playing possession football. As we saw in the Community Shield game, Mainoo, Mount, Bruno, Amad and even Casemiro have great quality playing that almost rondo style pass and move football in congested spaces. Add to that Martinez, Mazraoui, Shaw, Dalot and even De Ligt (kind of), plus Onana in goal, and we should have the quality to play a short passing game all over the pitch. If you've ever seen Zirkzee at Bologna, you'll know that even he has this really instinctive ability to link play in small spaces - which should be even more reason to commit to that style of play. The only ones who stick out a bit are Rashford (who played well in the Community Shield game bar his finishing but wasn't really participating in the short passing game - was more of an outlet), Garnacho (was excellent in the Community Shield but by the time he came on we were playing a bit more on the transition) and Hojlund (not really sure about his game in small spaces but he did join from Atalanta who play a possession-heavy style).

I think one of the things to criticize from the Community Shield game (and all of last season) is our build up from the back. In particular, how often we just pass the ball around at the back without making any significant progress before giving it to Onana to just hoof it. In Ten Hag's first season, this was more understandable with De Gea in goal, and the disastrous start to the season, he was being more pragmatic by having the keeper go long. But we got rid of our most capped keeper ever and spent 50m+ to get a ball playing goalkeeper. I think it's time for Ten Hag to be a bit more strict with the backline and force them to play through the high press instead of hoofing it at the first sign of trouble. I think this would improve our control of games as well as suiting the profile of our squad more. Much to look forward to for the Fulham game.

You can argue he's done a lot more than Arteta did in his first 2 seasons which would make Arteta the manager who has been given the most time.
They did very similarly in their first two full seasons. Arteta finished fifth twice, we finished third and eighth, points per game very similar. They both won the FA Cup, we won League Cup and they made it to EL final (and lost).

Arteta still has not won a major trophy at Arsenal though he has made them a lot more competitive and one of the best sides in the league. Let’s see how ETH copes in his third year, if we are benchmarking him against Arteta then we should be expecting something resembling of a title challenge or else ‘but Arteta’ arguments will not be valid anymore.

Arteta career trajectory is extremely rare though so I don’t think benchmarking anyone against him is very fair, hence I think ETH should be aiming for top 6 (and lower expectations if injuries prevent us from gaining any momentum). That is more realistic. Top 6 this year, back to CL in 25-26 and then continue to establish us as a consistent top 4 team over the next 2-3 years.

I wanted him to leave, but I am backing him now, the club is behind him and strengthening the squad for him.

2 things I want to see from Ten Hag are: -

• a style of play that ensures control, not simply possession, but control via proper pressing, compactness and so on, no more suicide style and large open spaces.
  • performance levels of the players must go up few folds, underperforming players must be benched regardless of who they are if they underperform for 3 or 4 games, including new signings, he must make use of the bench more and create a competitiveness within the squad to keep the players on their toes.

I'm not saying this is happening before I make someone cry...

But if it came out in the Athletic in January - after Ten Hag is sacked - that he'd vetoed all of INEOS's transfer suggestions who weren't on his personal list of targets, and INEOS were effectively forced to agree to the ones Ten Hag wanted this Summer, would you be shocked?

With the signings of De Ligt and Mazraoui, he now has a genuinely excellent side that is both built in his image and is suited to play possession football. I felt like even last season, the attempt to make us the 'best transition team in the world' was a step in the wrong direction, both in that transition football has a fairly low ceiling I think but also because I think most of our side are much better suited to playing possession football. As we saw in the Community Shield game, Mainoo, Mount, Bruno, Amad and even Casemiro have great quality playing that almost rondo style pass and move football in congested spaces. Add to that Martinez, Mazraoui, Shaw, Dalot and even De Ligt (kind of), plus Onana in goal, and we should have the quality to play a short passing game all over the pitch. If you've ever seen Zirkzee at Bologna, you'll know that even he has this really instinctive ability to link play in small spaces - which should be even more reason to commit to that style of play. The only ones who stick out a bit are Rashford (who played well in the Community Shield game bar his finishing but wasn't really participating in the short passing game - was more of an outlet), Garnacho (was excellent in the Community Shield but by the time he came on we were playing a bit more on the transition) and Hojlund (not really sure about his game in small spaces but he did join from Atalanta who play a possession-heavy style).

I think one of the things to criticize from the Community Shield game (and all of last season) is our build up from the back. In particular, how often we just pass the ball around at the back without making any significant progress before giving it to Onana to just hoof it. In Ten Hag's first season, this was more understandable with De Gea in goal, and the disastrous start to the season, he was being more pragmatic by having the keeper go long. But we got rid of our most capped keeper ever and spent 50m+ to get a ball playing goalkeeper. I think it's time for Ten Hag to be a bit more strict with the backline and force them to play through the high press instead of hoofing it at the first sign of trouble. I think this would improve our control of games as well as suiting the profile of our squad more. Much to look forward to for the Fulham game.
Our build up from the back is a work in progress. We are trying to bait the opponent, then play through them quickly so we essentially have created a transition.

A short passing game all over the pitch is not what we are looking to do. We are looking for passes between the lines to progress the ball.

We do have a short passing game up front if there is no transition, when attacking the box where we play with many players in a small area. This forces the other team to defend in numbers and we can keep the pressure on.

As we have seen in the Community Shield game, we can create chances from both approaches. I agree with you we look a bit clumsy when playing out the back. I expect this will improve during the season.

They did very similarly in their first two full seasons. Arteta finished fifth twice, we finished third and eighth, points per game very similar. They both won the FA Cup, we won League Cup and they made it to EL final (and lost).

Arteta still has not won a major trophy at Arsenal though he has made them a lot more competitive and one of the best sides in the league. Let’s see how ETH copes in his third year, if we are benchmarking him against Arteta then we should be expecting something resembling of a title challenge or else ‘but Arteta’ arguments will not be valid anymore.

Arteta career trajectory is extremely rare though so I don’t think benchmarking anyone against him is very fair, hence I think ETH should be aiming for top 6 (and lower expectations if injuries prevent us from gaining any momentum). That is more realistic. Top 6 this year, back to CL in 25-26 and then continue to establish us as a consistent top 4 team over the next 2-3 years.

I think from a success perspective Ten Hag has objectively acheived more than Arteta over the the first 2 full seasons. Qualified for Champions league and Europa league with 2 trophies, whilst Arteta qualified for Europa league twice and won 1 trophy (if we want to include the half season he had). That is objectively achieving more than Arteta did in his 2.5 seasons.

I agree that he should be judged on the context of the situation. Am I expecting Ten Hag to challenge for the league this season, no. However, if we do get in a Ugarte then based on the signings I am expecting and think he can achieve top 4 without too much difficulty whilst implementing a proper style. If that does happen then next season should simply be a case of adding 2 or 3 top players to get us challenging for top honours.

But if it came out in the Athletic in January - after Ten Hag is sacked - that he'd vetoed all of INEOS's transfer suggestions who weren't on his personal list of targets, and INEOS were effectively forced to agree to the ones Ten Hag wanted this Summer, would you be shocked?
That wouldn‘t happen, INEOS is firmly behind these smart signings.

Your post and agenda is shocking, though.

How the feck do you think this is a realistic scenario? Do you think Ratcliffe and INEOS would let themselves be played like that? In what world do you live thinking that ETH would just have a veto card he could endlessly throw at Ratcliffe and Ashworth? Without consquences and with giving him his way against their will and spending tens of millions in players they dont want? Really? You must think very very very little of ouw new ownership.. They would have gotten rid of ETH at the spot..

That wouldn‘t happen, INEOS is firmly behind these smart signings.

Your post and agenda is shocking, though.

How the feck do you think this is a realistic scenario? Do you think Ratcliffe and INEOS would let themselves be played like that? In what world do you live thinking that ETH would just have a veto card he could endlessly throw at Ratcliffe and Ashworth? They would have gotten rid of ETH at the spot..

It was a question, not a statement.

I'd be more than shocked because that's just insane conspiracy theory thinking.

EtH wants to win and be successful. Why would he cut off his nose to spite his face? There might be disagreements on targets, but they probably discuss them like adults and come to compromises.

I also very much doubt that EtH went to INEOS with a list that had the likes of Zirkzee, Yoro, Branthwaite, Ugarte, Berge, etc. on it. He's even gone on record to say that De Ligt was a club suggestion, probably after Branthwaite looked out of reach, maybe meaning that Branthwaite was EtH's pick?

It's impossible to say for sure, but I find it hard to look at our signings so far this summer and think that they'd all suddenly be useless if EtH is sacked. These are all guys good enough to play under any coach, and in multiple styles and systems. Most importantly though, they all fit the style Wilcox and INEOS have spoken about, so they're not dependent on EtH.

I'd be more than shocked because that's just insane conspiracy theory thinking.

EtH wants to win and be successful. Why would he cut off his nose to spite his face? There might be disagreements on targets, but they probably discuss them like adults and come to compromises.

I also very much doubt that EtH went to INEOS with a list that had the likes of Zirkzee, Yoro, Branthwaite, Ugarte, Berge, etc. on it. He's even gone on record to say that De Ligt was a club suggestion, probably after Branthwaite looked out of reach, maybe meaning that Branthwaite was EtH's pick?

It's impossible to say for sure, but I find it hard to look at our signings so far this summer and think that they'd all suddenly be useless if EtH is sacked. These are all guys good enough to play under any coach, and in multiple styles and systems. Most importantly though, they all fit the style Wilcox and INEOS have spoken about, so they're not dependent on EtH.
Just something people joke about online. But if he has a veto then presumably it is something he would be in his rights to do. And if he believes the manager should choose the players he works with, then that's a reasonable enough viewpoint. No new contract was ever agreed in the end, just the option activated. So he still holds that ability of veto.

I'm not saying it's what's happened but I don't think I would be shocked either. Not that we will ever know for sure, but if they had sacked Erik this summer after that review, I'm not so sure we'd have signed De Ligt and Mazroui

Just something people joke about online. But if he has a veto then presumably it is something he would be in his rights to do. And if he believes the manager should choose the players he works with, then that's a reasonable enough viewpoint. No new contract was ever agreed in the end, just the option activated. So he still holds that ability of veto.

I'm not saying it's what's happened but I don't think I would be shocked either. Not that we will ever know for sure, but if they had sacked Erik this summer after that review, I'm not so sure we'd have signed De Ligt and Mazroui
The thing is, in real life that's not really how vetos actually work, outside of politics maybe, where they normally have a performative function.

For EtH, having that veto is just a power check that means no player he doesn't want to work with is completely foisted on him. As you've said, that's totally understandable. Even as fans I don't think we want that, I mean look at Chelsea right now! The opposite of that is also true though, whereby the club can just refuse to sign anyone for EtH. He has a lot more to lose in that respect, because I think it's fairly obvious that he really wants to be the manager of Manchester United and be successful here. So, I think it's much more likely that they work together to find players that they both agree on, not just one side.

Also, I'm not sure I agree about Mazraoui and De Ligt. Mazraoui maybe, I can see another manager pushing to keep AWB another year and then letting him go for free. I think in a summer where our budget is limited these both are opportunity buys though, especially De Ligt, and the club has taken that decision. I mean De Ligt has basically cost us the same as what West Ham paid for Kilman.

I think from a success perspective Ten Hag has objectively acheived more than Arteta over the the first 2 full seasons. Qualified for Champions league and Europa league with 2 trophies, whilst Arteta qualified for Europa league twice and won 1 trophy (if we want to include the half season he had). That is objectively achieving more than Arteta did in his 2.5 seasons.

I agree that he should be judged on the context of the situation. Am I expecting Ten Hag to challenge for the league this season, no. However, if we do get in a Ugarte then based on the signings I am expecting and think he can achieve top 4 without too much difficulty whilst implementing a proper style. If that does happen then next season should simply be a case of adding 2 or 3 top players to get us challenging for top honours.
Yeah it's slightly more but not really 'a lot more'. We had slightly higher highs, i.e. getting into CL, but much lower lows - i.e. 8th place and finishing bottom of one of the easiest CL groups ever. Not much in this.

You are very much insinuating that you wouldnt be shocked so that there is a fair amount of likelyness for you in the theory you pose..
Just curious and asking the question

I don’t think we’d have signed the same players if we’d sacked Erik and hired, say Tuchel. Yoro probably would have come regardless as he seems to be separate from the other targets and someone the scouts have highlighted as a “sign now before Madrid can sign him”. But I don’t think he’s abusing his veto

Just curious and asking the question

I don’t think we’d have signed the same players if we’d sacked Erik and hired, say Tuchel. Yoro probably would have come regardless as he seems to be separate from the other targets and someone the scouts have highlighted as a “sign now before Madrid can sign him”. But I don’t think he’s abusing his veto

Ok, it came across a bit different to me.. Apologies if I came across a bit too strong..

I also don't think De Ligt would have come to Utd if Ten Hag wasnt here.. I think the presence of Ten Hag here at United very much opened the window and feasibility for De Ligt.. I think De Ligt very much wanted to work with Ten Hag again and therefore told Bayern and other clubs very quickly he only wanted to come to United.. That quickly made other potential clubs to turn their eyes elsewhere, which obviously also had its impact on the fee.. I think if ETH wouldn be at United it would have been a lot more difficult and potentially costly to get De Ligt. He really is a bargain at this price for his age, quality and experience..

Ajax West now, aren’t we… Is this the most Dutch players and coaches ever in a Man United squad?

At this point, there are no excuses for Ten Hag. This is his squad. Minimum top 4, probably 3rd and 78-80+ points and if he can’t achieve that, he’s gotta go.

I know people are saying Mazrouai can play LB, and so can Dalot, but given how fragile Shaw is, shouldn’t we have prioritized a true LB over bringing in another ex Ten Hag player who happens to be a right back?

Ajax West now, aren’t we… Is this the most Dutch players and coaches ever in a Man United squad?

At this point, there are no excuses for Ten Hag. This is his squad. Minimum top 4, probably 3rd and 78-80+ points and if he can’t achieve that, he’s gotta go.

I know people are saying Mazrouai can play LB, and so can Dalot, but given how fragile Shaw is, shouldn’t we have prioritized a true LB over bringing in another ex Ten Hag player who happens to be a right back?
It’s not really his squad though. Still plenty of players left from pre ETH era and we also don’t have the knowledge of how many of our signings were actually his.

It’s not really his squad though. Still plenty of players left from pre ETH era and we also don’t have the knowledge of how many of our signings were actually his.
Some day it could be fun to see us having one of those managers that can take an existing squad and mold them into his own.
Must be nice.

At this point you do have to say it's ten Hag's quad. Yes, there is some deadwood from the Jose era but if the starting XI looks like this it's his squad:

Onana
Dalot De Ligt Martinez Mazraoui
Casemiro Mainoo
Amad Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund

ETH inherited Dalot and Bruno, and although you don't see his name on my XI he fancies Rashford, who for me relegated himself to the rotation along with Antony, who is undeniably an ETH signing. If he brings in Ugarte (seems nailed on now) then the case for this being ETH's squad and no one else's is overwhelming.

Saying it’s not his squad is ridiculous. He’s been here 3 seasons with the players and signed a good portion of them. Just because you didn’t sign a player doesn’t mean he’s not yours.

At this point you do have to say it's ten Hag's quad. Yes, there is some deadwood from the Jose era but if the starting XI looks like this it's his squad:

Onana
Dalot De Ligt Martinez Mazraoui
Casemiro Mainoo
Amad Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund

ETH inherited Dalot and Bruno, and although you don't see his name on my XI he fancies Rashford, who for me relegated himself to the rotation along with Antony, who is undeniably an ETH signing. If he brings in Ugarte (seems nailed on now) then the case for this being ETH's squad and no one else's is overwhelming.
There are many players he bought or promoted but I still think it’s not the squad he wants ultimately. Eg Casemiro appeared to be a club signing and not what ETH would necessarily want at a DM. I think we are 4-5 transfers away from having a team that can play up to ETH’s standards but if fully healthy capable of delivering 4th.

There are many players he bought or promoted but I still think it’s not the squad he wants ultimately. Eg Casemiro appeared to be a club signing and not what ETH would necessarily want at a DM. I think we are 4-5 transfers away from having a team that can play up to ETH’s standards but if fully healthy capable of delivering 4th.

We can quibble about Casemiro but this is in fact ETH's squad. But let's not use that as a pretext to mercilessly flog ETH if results don't go our way. If players down their tools, as Rashford did most of last season, or players are out injured, as Shaw and Martinez were most of last season, that's not ETH's fault. But he has most of the players he demanded -- De Jong being the only exception I can think of -- and some of the players that he demanded who did come through, Antony being at the top of the list, have massively underperformed, which is on Antony and not ETH.

But this is ETH's squad, no question about it.

We can quibble about Casemiro but this is in fact ETH's squad. But let's not use that as a pretext to mercilessly flog ETH if results don't go our way. If players down their tools, as Rashford did most of last season, or players are out injured, as Shaw and Martinez were most of last season, that's not ETH's fault. But he has most of the players he demanded -- De Jong being the only exception I can think of -- and some of the players that he demanded who did come through, Antony being at the top of the list, have massively underperformed, which is on Antony and not ETH.

But this is ETH's squad, no question about it.

In addition, there is no question that ETH demanded that we bring in Mason Mount. I rate Mount, but for us he's little more than a squad player, a player that ETH demanded the club buy although it remains a mystery as to why.

If Ten Hag has a bad season (I hope not)

How good would Ipswich have to do for anyone to consider McKenna as the new manager for next season?

If Ten Hag has a bad season (I hope not)

How good would Ipswich have to do for anyone to consider McKenna as the new manager for next season?
Most likely Ruud will take over if Eth leaves during the season. But let's see, I hope Eth surprises us all this year.

Lovely stuff. Good to see there is acknowledgment from the top that last season wasn’t all Erik’s fault. He must feel empowered by all the change happening at the club now.

I still think Ole was succeeding inspite of the hierarchy, not because of it. He was holding the club together in his time as manager. Mourinho claims his 2nd place finish was his best achievement, but ole was a PE teacher with a 2nd and 3rd place finish? Give over.

Likewise I think if ten hag was as incompetent as many here made him out to be last season would have been far worse than it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.