Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not what being technically proficient is though.
A prerequisite for being technically proficient is to actually be able to get on the pitch, so he doesn't even get past that stage.

Lets move on - there's a weird fixation on the posters' wording where too many people failed to grasp the broader point he's made.

A prerequisite for being technically proficient is to actually be able to get on the pitch, so he doesn't even get past that stage.

Lets move on - there's a weird fixation on the posters' wording where too many people failed to grasp the broader point he's made.

No that isn't even remotely true. Louis Saha was an extremely technically proficient player, as is Kevin De Bruyne, as is Anthony Martial.

The broader point in regards to Martial was wrong. If what was said was "and even the technical players he had like Martial were never available" that would make sense.

It's a tiny point made mostly because it's interesting when people have wildly different opinions from you and if someone genuinely didn't think Martial had good technique I'd find it interesting.

You did what you seem to constantly do which was stick your nose in and obsessively ensure no one misses how hard Ten Hag has had things.

I actually like to hear this. When you're in a shit company it's on you to get things done when everyone else is wanking in the toilets. If you don't then everyone dies.
100%. What really kills me about some of the things I’ve read in this thread is some posters are so dead set in wanting to be right about Ten Hag that they’ll actually downplay the crimes of the Glazers. Until now it’s been only Liverpool and City supporters doing that. Weird times.

No that isn't even remotely true. Louis Saha was an extremely technically proficient player, as is Kevin De Bruyne, as is Anthony Martial.

The broader point in regards to Martial was wrong. If what was said was "and even the technical players he had like Martial were never available" that would make sense.

It's a tiny point made mostly because it's interesting when people have wildly different opinions from you and if someone genuinely didn't think Martial had good technique I'd find it interesting.

You did what you seem to constantly do which was stick your nose in and obsessively ensure no one misses how hard Ten Hag has had things.
The broader point wasn't to do with Martial as such. You just got fixated with him, and seemingly didn't get what the point was.

For anyone that missed the game - our attacks look very fluid, we look structured and have already got some exciting chemistry forming.
City didn't play a 'weak' side despite having 2 academy kids + Bobb (who I think will play more prominently this season). They had a backline of Dias, Akanji, Gvardiol and were struggling to keep pace with our quick exchanges at times.

Watching the highlights again we really should’ve been 2/3-0 up even before Garnacho’s goal. The moves in the first half for Amad and Rashford chances were really slick and encouraging to see. We just need to be more clinical in finishing our chances. Also City were missing quite a few of their starting XI so won’t draw too many conclusions.

Watching the highlights again we really should’ve been 2/3-0 up even before Garnacho’s goal. The moves in the first half for Amad and Rashford chances were really slick and encouraging to see. We just need to be more clinical in finishing our chances. Also City were missing quite a few of their starting XI so won’t draw too many conclusions.
They played two academy kids but the rest looked like they'd start in any given game in the PL, Bobb and Lewis included.

We meanwhile had no striker, and a 3rd and 4th choice CB pairing. Our subs were the likes of Collyer, McT an exit minded Sancho and Pellistri at RB, whilst they hauled on Nunes, B Silva and KDB particularly in the final 5. And weirdly we still looked like we'd be the ones likely for the winner in spite of that.

For anyone that missed the game - our attacks look very fluid, we look structured and have already got some exciting chemistry forming.
City didn't play a 'weak' side despite having 2 academy kids + Bobb (who I think will play more prominently this season). They had a backline of Dias, Akanji, Gvardiol and were struggling to keep pace with our quick exchanges at times.

By the way, how good is Oscar Bobb, looks like he'll go on to be a world beater.

The broader point wasn't to do with Martial as such. You just got fixated with him, and seemingly didn't get what the point was.

No I addressed a specific point. One in which you agree.

If I wanted to address the entire point about Ten Hag being unable to implement his style with technically poor players and that now hopefully changing them I would have done.

If I had of thought his point was invalidated due to him being wrong about Martial's level of technical proficiency then I would have said so.

Neither happened. I saw a specific point that I thought was very far off my opinion so addressed that specifically. You making up people in your head and arguing things they are saying has nothing to do with me.

Played well yesterday but I don't think games against City are ones to tell us much anyway because we already know we're good on the transition. It's our performances against low blocks that will shape a lot of our season.

GUtoTcbXQAAzqtg

Robie Fowler

Liverpool thugs already started barking before we even kick a ball for this season.

Karma says we will finish above those feckers this year. If we get Ugarte, we could.

For anybody who thinks Erik is not an exceptional tactician, I wonder if they can answer how many managers have ever outplayed Pep in a final of a competition. Emphasis on a final, and not just some odd game in a long league season. Winning by a chance is one, but Erik literally outplayed a stronger team coached by Pep. And you don't just get lucky with shit like that.

Erik is not flawless, and he is far from perfect, but he is by far the smartest, and most capable manager we've had since Sir Alex, Mourinho included. We could do much, much, much worse

Karma says we will finish above those feckers this year. If we get Ugarte, we could.

For anybody who thinks Erik is not an exceptional tactician, I wonder if they can answer how many managers have ever outplayed Pep in a final of a competition. Emphasis on a final, and not just some odd game in a long league season. Winning by a chance is one, but Erik literally outplayed a stronger team coached by Pep. And you don't just get lucky with shit like that.

Erik is not flawless, and he is far from perfect, but he is by far the smartest, and most capable manager we've had since Sir Alex, Mourinho included. We could do much, much, much worse
I agree with your main premise around ETH being more capable and astute than we think he is although the bar hasn’t been set very high since Sir Alex and the multiple failing managers we’ve had

Agreed. Him and Savio will light up the league this season imo. Grealish is done at City imo.
100% re: Bobb and Savio. Could Grealish play the Rodri role? Assuming he gets back to full fitness like season 22/23 when his work rate was crucial in many big games.

I agree with your main premise around ETH being more capable and astute than we think he is although the bar hasn’t been set very high since Sir Alex and the multiple failing managers we’ve had
Fair enough

What about all the Brighton, Burnley, Wolves games in which ETH was outplayed by opposition managers?

Eth just played Oleball on the final, he did well to adjust the tactics to the team so does deserve the credit, but it's something we've seen before under other managers so not exactly revolutionary.

I hope now ETH has almost (hopefully gets the PSG guy too) got everyone he wanted and there should be minimum Top 4, a cup and good football expected from him. There can't be any more excuses.

Now that he has defence sorted we need to see what his he can do as a coach. Ideally we should be adding two midfielders as well but I’d take one at this stage.

Now that he has defence sorted we need to see what his he can do as a coach. Ideally we should be adding two midfielders as well but I’d take one at this stage.
Yep. Very good additions to the back line. Hopefully that means he'll rotate a bit more and keep everyone reasonably fresh.

Like you said, this is where we can see him coach the defense a bit more. Hopefully, at the very least, we are harder to score against.

Yep. Very good additions to the back line. Hopefully that means he'll rotate a bit more and keep everyone reasonably fresh.

Like you said, this is where we can see him coach the defense a bit more. Hopefully, at the very least, we are harder to score against.
Not just the defence. In his third season, given the amount spent, we need to start seeing an impressive style of football.

100% re: Bobb and Savio. Could Grealish play the Rodri role? Assuming he gets back to full fitness like season 22/23 when his work rate was crucial in many big games.
Why would Grealish play the Rodri role, if he could, when they’ve got Rodri to play that role himself?

This. No excuses now. I am very excited to see how we play this season with all those players he wanted and got, plus less injuries.
What annoys me is if things aren’t going well , we never really have any options on the bench. The amount of times people are correctly looking for change from the bench, but when you look at the bench there’s nothing really obviously available to bring on.

Feels like we are a CM short and maybe a striker (unless Zirkhee hits ground running and/or Hoijland stays fit.

The game against city and some of the football against Pool were extremely encouraging. Just hope it doesn’t fall apart against weaker, deeper teams like Fulham.

What annoys me is if things aren’t going well , we never really have any options on the bench. The amount of times people are correctly looking for change from the bench, but when you look at the bench there’s nothing really obviously available to bring on.

Feels like we are a CM short and maybe a striker (unless Zirkhee hits ground running and/or Hoijland stays fit.

The game against city and some of the football against Pool were extremely encouraging. Just hope it doesn’t fall apart against weaker, deeper teams like Fulham.
I don't get that feeling to be honest. I am far more worried about lack of DM, as Casemiro should not be anything more than a backup.

He has now been fully backed.

Let’s see; will the Fulham performance be like the last two vs City? Or will it be like the opening game vs Wolves.

We need a dominant performance, strong ball retention, attacking patterns of play, less chances created against, and a good result.

GUtoTcbXQAAzqtg

Robie Fowler

Liverpool thugs already started barking before we even kick a ball for this season.

Just seen this post, not only is it an extremely ignorant analysis of the match on Saturday, it’s an absolute disgrace that an ex pro can be so disrespectful to a fellow professional ex footballer. I’d completely understand if The Mirror & Fowler are banned from OT for the time-being. Disgusting really.

I don't get that feeling to be honest. I am far more worried about lack of DM, as Casemiro should not be anything more than a backup.
I hate seeing Sancho or Rashford up top, it is just playing with 10 men.

The Bruno false 9 is probably more effective but I’d prefer we basically have a starting 11 who are playing their preferred positions, then last years “let’s try this lad here” stuff.

Already we have had no recognised striker and no LB against city. But in fairness it worked out ok.

He could of maybe played Zirk but im
Sure there was good reason why he didnt. Shame Sancho didn’t score to help move him on.

Just seen this post, not only is it an extremely ignorant analysis of the match on Saturday, it’s an absolute disgrace that an ex pro can be so disrespectful to a fellow professional ex footballer. I’d completely understand if The Mirror & Fowler are banned from OT for the time-being. Disgusting really.
Bring it on, he’s just spamming United fans and trying to be relevant. I’ve no problem with that, more of a problem with the dogmatic “ETH out” crowd who will be quoting that sh/t.

If he is around Christmas >10 points after leaders, he should go. It is his 3 y at the club.
I'm sure INEOS will not see it as simplistically as this. Context will be have to be taken into consideration, i.e. injuries, players performance, whether we are able to secure the players he wants/needs in the remainder of this transfer window.

He has now been fully backed.

Let’s see; will the Fulham performance be like the last two vs City? Or will it be like the opening game vs Wolves.

We need a dominant performance, strong ball retention, attacking patterns of play, less chances created against, and a good result.
There’s a lot of changes in the squad and some injuries to key players, so I hope fans remain realistic. The new signings might take a few weeks to settle in and get used to the EPL. The transfer window is also still open so things can further change. Make your judgements after October, not in the middle of August. Patience is required.

Bring it on, he’s just spamming United fans and trying to be relevant. I’ve no problem with that, more of a problem with the dogmatic “ETH out” crowd who will be quoting that sh/t.
Fowler is entitled to say that he doesn’t rate Ten Hag as a manager and he wasn’t impressed by the performance on Saturday. That’s fine. However, this is a personal attack by Fowler on a fellow ex pro. Disgusting! Probably been snorting too much coke again.

A few injury issues to deal with, but thats to be expected and a plan should be in place for that anyway. Plenty of signings that in theory suit his vision. Lets see how it goes. I still want to believe.

No other manager in the world has been given more than Erik ten Hag. The time, the players, the resources, everything. Any other club he would have been sacked back in June instead. Now he even has the much-vaunted structure to support him. The amount of trust he has been given is unparalleled. He doesn't have a single pathetic excuse left. Time to deliver a befitting campaign. Not next season, not after Christmas, but starting this week against Fulham. Proper football, no more of last season's shite. And anything short of 75 points and a Europa League final should be considered a failure.

I don't expect him to last the season.

Fowler is entitled to say that he doesn’t rate Ten Hag as a manager and he wasn’t impressed by the performance on Saturday. That’s fine. However, this is a personal attack by Fowler on a fellow ex pro. Disgusting! Probably been snorting too much coke again.

Fowler's a moron and nobody should read a word he writes, but then again like Danny Murphy he probably doesn't even write that shite.

No other manager in the world has been given more than Erik ten Hag. The time, the players, the resources, everything. Any other club he would have been sacked back in June instead. Now he even has the much-vaunted structure to support him. The amount of trust he has been given is unparalleled. He doesn't have a single pathetic excuse left. Time to deliver a befitting campaign. Not next season, not after Christmas, but starting this week against Fulham. Proper football, no more of last season's shite. And anything short of 75 points and a Europa League final should be considered a failure.

Two trophies in two seasons. He qualified for CL in his first season. He has done enough to be given more time.
Arteta didn't have that record and he was able to get time to build a title challenging squad.

I fully agree..

The need of some people to bring others down and wanting to see others fail is sickening sometimes... Or maybe its the urge to be quoted and read at the cost of others.. Equally sickening..

Two trophies in two seasons. He qualified for CL in his first season. He has done enough to be given more time.
Arteta didn't have that record and he was able to get time to build a title challenging squad.

Okay, but I don't expect him to challenge yet? And he has been given time, that's why he is still in charge. 75 points (how much he had in his first season) and competent football (as opposed to the weekly farce last season) are hardly insane expectations at this stage. If he can't do that, his position needs to be re-evaluated. Which is what I expect INEOS will do, if it comes to pass.

Ratcliffe himself said that Ten Hag was badly let down by the club, basically he wasn’t even facilitated in a professional manner. That has changed, however, but any manager will still need time to get things right on the pitch. And a lot of new players to settle in. So patience will be required by all. Setting targets is not realistic, I think judging progression in terms of improving the play on the pitch will be more realistic imo.

I hate seeing Sancho or Rashford up top, it is just playing with 10 men.

The Bruno false 9 is probably more effective but I’d prefer we basically have a starting 11 who are playing their preferred positions, then last years “let’s try this lad here” stuff.

Already we have had no recognised striker and no LB against city. But in fairness it worked out ok.

He could of maybe played Zirk but im
Sure there was good reason why he didnt. Shame Sancho didn’t score to help move him on.
But it's a temporary situation, right? We have two #9s, two LWs, two RWs (not counting Antony), two #10s, so attacking wise we're alright.

Then obviously we have 3 players for 2 positions, but let's see if that is addressed still this window. In defense we're quite full as well.

But it's a temporary situation, right? We have two #9s, two LWs, two RWs (not counting Antony), two #10s, so attacking wise we're alright.

Then obviously we have 3 players for 2 positions, but let's see if that is addressed still this window. In defense we're quite full as well.
We played Maguire and Evans in defence last weekend. That’s the 2020 Leicester city CB pairing !!

But with De Licht now I do agree that we should hav enough. I suppose my point is that we had to play a makeshift defence and no striker a week before league starts. This really shouldn’t be happening during the season. It seldom happens to teams challenging for the league or at the top , we can’t expect to be consistent in the league if our managers have to keep chopping and changing with below par alternatives.

We need to get to the point where whatever manager we have had actual solid options on the bench to change games not going well. That’s been seldom the case for a long long time.

in saying that, I agree with you so don’t want to look like I’m arguing!

Status
Not open for further replies.