Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're not in the top 4 by the October International break he should be sent packing.

Obviously with the caveat of “it’s only pre season” but I don’t think we’re going to see any sort of defined style of play with Erik.

I also don’t think he’ll be here by Christmas

I said before pre season a poor start would guarantee bad results in the opening 10 games.

Pre season is a huge determining factor in how the manager and team will represent themselves in the season when the assemblement of players have been largely inconsistent for just over a year now.

I'm excited for the season. Its clear when Ten Hag has the right type of players available to him he can play good football that challenges. If we sign De Ligt, Mazraoui and Ugarte then I think the squad will be able to handle the injuries better. Big if in terms of those signings but if they do come in then I'm confident we get top 4 and a trophy. I've liked the pressing shape in pre-season. I can see when Rasmus/Zirkzee, Bruno, Martinez, Yoro/De Ligt, Shaw/Mazraoui, Dalot and hopefully Ugarte are added that the shape and tactics could potentially be very exciting and suite them. I'm looking forward to the season. A lot to look forward to.

If we're not in the top 4 by the October International break he should be sent packing.
Definitely. We probably won't be able to salvage anything from the season once the inevitable happens though. It's all too familiar in recent years.

Two managers that between them have ONE major trophy in 40 years of management? Ten Hag has won more than their careers combined in his first two years.

Why is nuance lost on this website simply because we lost a pre-season friendly? You can not like him, not think he’s good enough, fine. But get a grip.
Are you happy with last year's performance and his transfer dealings? Not least Mount and Antony.

ETH is closer to Moyes than Klopp or Pep in terms of competence. A lucky FA cup victory does not change that. I think top 4 will be very difficult this season.

Are you happy with last year's performance and his transfer dealings? Not least Mount and Antony.

ETH is closer to Moyes than Klopp or Pep in terms of competence. A lucky FA cup victory does not change that. I think top 4 will be very difficult this season.

Also factor in that he’s been backed with over £500 million in transfers. People forget that when they are proclaiming him the bloody messiah for winning an FA Cup!

I am not trolling.
I am neurosurgeon, all my professional career I am dealing people like EtH aka nepo babies. He is rich MF who stumbled on disfunctional club.
Ah, yes. Because neurosurgeons are famous for being football experts.

He'll be sacked within weeks I think. If not it means he's turned it around, which is obviously a positive for us all. Last season destroyed any hope that it'll be the case though, and keeping him on will prove a tremendous waste of time and resources.

The way he sets up his midfield will see him gone by Christmas. Nothing has changed.

It was stupidity to renew him.

We have played some very promising football with that squad we have had at the Tour, and we are excited for the season ahead!

The defensive set up is still ass.
You cannot work miracles with a defensive pair of lindelof and evans. The fact that again the likes of lindelof awb mctominay eriksen casemiro sancho find a way to be closer to starting line up is a huge worry.

Eth cannot afford to start slow this season. The pressure will be sky high this time around even more.

Also factor in that he’s been backed with over £500 million in transfers. People forget that when they are proclaiming him the bloody messiah for winning an FA Cup!

I don't think someone countering a post about him being worse than Ole or Moyes is "proclaiming him the messiah".

Well let's ignore the results of Pre-Season.

Let's see how we start the campaign. He has been given more resources and assistance than any manager in the history of the club so top 4 and a massive improvement in the style of football is the absolute bare minimum.

RvN as our manager would make me crazy happy. That’s one of my childhood heroes.

Well let's ignore the results of Pre-Season.

Let's see how we start the campaign. He has been given more resources and assistance than any manager in the history of the club so top 4 and a massive improvement in the style of football is the absolute bare minimum.

Needs a strong start otherwise the knives will be out in full force

Let's be honest, it would be at ridiculous decision. Been there once and it didn't work out.

That makes no sense.

We have been "there" with nearly every profile of manager since Sir Alex retired. Do we get a consistent Premier League proven manager? An iconic legend of management? A European elite? Former player? Hipsters choice? Modern European coach?

If you discount someone purely because we already had the same profile then no one works. Most of the most successful managers ever have been former players, lots of them at clubs they played for.

Hopefully not necessary anyway.

Lack of prioritising the midfield is going to be the big issue again. Three of our four central midfielders are straight up not good enough for top four football.

Let's be honest, it would be at ridiculous decision. Been there once and it didn't work out.

No offence but that’s just such cursory and poor reasoning.

Not that I’m saying RvN would light the world on fire (he did decently as a manager though), I’m just saying that I have a soft spot for him. Your reasoning is still piss-poor

Yeah, McTominay is going nowhere. Zirkzee & him will be used in the Fellaini role that LVG used. See a lot of route 1 football with the Onana hoofs. Good times ahead.

I just dont understand how a coach who has coached Frenkie De Jong and now Mainoo can be so inept at setting a midfield up. Extremely irritating. This is more than 10 years now of awful midfield play.

Yeah, McTominay is going nowhere. Zirkzee & him will be used in the Fellaini role that LVG used. See a lot of route 1 football with the Onana hoofs. Good times ahead.
Great deduction skills considering Zirkzee hasn't played for the club yet

Great deduction skills considering Zirkzee hasn't played for the club yet
He has been doing that with McTom behind Sancho since Rasmus been out. Mount didn't start against Betis & Mount moved to the left when McTom came in against Liverpool.

Sorry, if you couldn't figure it out. Spend more time watching games then trying to school posters with nonsense in the match day threads.

He has been doing that with McTom behind Sancho since Rasmus been out. Mount didn't start against Betis & Mount moved to the left when McTom came in against Liverpool.

Sorry, if you couldn't figure it out.

I wonder if there are any other players at the club who might be in with a shout for that number 10 role.

Sorry, if you couldn't figure it out. Spend more time watching games then trying to school posters with nonsense in the match day threads.
I'm sorry but I can't see it being used week in week out at all

Zirkzee wouldn’t do very well at it — despite being so tall he’s shite in the air.

Sort of agree on McTominay though. I’ve got a feeling he ends up signing an extension and not actually leaving.

Lack of prioritising the midfield is going to be the big issue again. Three of our four central midfielders are straight up not good enough for top four football.
It's not just the midfield thought. We need another cb, possibly a rb and a lb, some may argue we also need a striker.

Our squad right now is a mess and we are hoping everyone stays fit and chances of that happening is very little.

Zirkzee wouldn’t do very well at it — despite being so tall he’s shite in the air.

Sort of agree on McTominay though. I’ve got a feeling he ends up signing an extension and not actually leaving.
Weghorst was shit in the air too but that didn't stop him from using him in that role. Zirkzee is a facilitator and a much better player than Weghorst. I wouldn't be surprised if he is used there. He is not an out and out striker.

It's not easy and we've signed some good players but the outgoing players aren't moving quickly enough- Sancho, Mctominay, AwB, Casemiro, Lindelof and Maguire (possibly) and consequently the squad still looks a bit of a mess. A lot of this should be solved soon but the quicker the better really. On the positive side Amad and Amass look like they will be important players moving ahead.

Any chance Martinez, Shaw, Mainoo, Garnacho, Dalot, Zirkzee, Bruno will be back for the City game?

Status
Not open for further replies.