Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much power does he have on transfers?

I’m pretty sure he doesn’t take part in any fee negotiations, so perhaps the transfer total is irrelevant. Better for the click bait and interaction though I suppose.
He is involved enough that he knows buying x player leaves no budget for y player etc
Like spending a big chunk of the budget on Mount last season instead of a proper midfielder.
Think calls for his head are going to gather noise again very quickly.

I'm still not convinced we're tactically strong enough. We're ripped open far too easily, far too often, both on the flanks and through the centre.
ETH showed us repeatedly last year how bad his tactics are but the majority is apparently still blinded by the cup runs.

Got scholed tonight about dutch football.

Tell me you never watched the game without telling me..

Lots of the issues from last season still exist, which is a problem, but there was certainly no schooling of anyone last night.

Yeah I think if results are not good by October/November and performances are not up to scratch then I can see it ending badly for Ten Hag.

Wonder if INEOS said something to Tuchel sit tight incase our project doesn't take off to the way we want, we may come calling.

De Ligt could easily be a coincidence. We're after a defender but can't spend too much and he's a quality one who is available for a good price. The fact that ETH has managed him before may not have anything to do with it (other than perhaps elevating us to being De Ligt's first choice).

Onana perhaps as well, being one of the two stand-out options at the time we wanted to sign a goalkeeper. In saying that, the rumours were that the club preferred Costa while ETH preferred Onana, but at the same time Costa would have been more expensive and probably seen as being riskier. So I don't think Onana being a target had anything to do with ETH, but ETH perhaps was the difference between him being 1st or 2nd choice (and once again perhaps elevated us in Onana's eyes so he'd leave Inter).

Mazraoui might be a bit of both, in the sense that we're looking for a cheap back-up fullback and he fits that bill (and has the same agent and at the same club as De Ligt so simplifies discussions), but it may be his history with ETH that gives him the edge.

So all three of the above would probably have been high on the clubs list regardless of the manager.

I'd say Antony and Martinez were the two that we definitely signed due to ETH. The amount of time we chased FDJ as well. Timber before he turned us down probably as well.

Lots of the issues from last season still exist, which is a problem, but there was certainly no schooling of anyone last night.

I mean, even if we scored 3 own goals, we still lost 3-0, lots of goals conceeded without single goal scored which was the story of our last season too, altough with worse football.

I mean, even if we scored 3 own goals, we still lost 3-0, lots of goals conceeded without single goal scored which was the story of our last season too, altough with worse football.

Yeh that's what I mean when I say the problems still remain. We still don't take our chances. We still concede really soft goals. We're still way too easy to counter against. We still struggle in the middle of the pitch.

Obviously with the caveat of “it’s only pre season” but I don’t think we’re going to see any sort of defined style of play with Erik.

I also don’t think he’ll be here by Christmas

October is when he will be sacked along with all his Dutch staff. They are running those players into the ground, constant muscle injuries and what not. He is now being watched very closely by a proper football structure and he knows he needs to get them playing properly but I doubt he will just like last season. Injuries are bad but he can’t use that as an excuse again.

Started energetically but otherwise it was a case of same manager + same players + same tactics = same result.

He is involved enough that he knows buying x player leaves no budget for y player etc
Like spending a big chunk of the budget on Mount last season instead of a proper midfielder.
Think calls for his head are going to gather noise again very quickly.

How much say does he have in transfer decisions? I genuinely have no idea who identifies players and does the negotiations.

If it’s all Hag in a one man operation, what’s the point in the team of scouts, directors, backroom staff etc.

How much say does he have in transfer decisions? I genuinely have no idea who identifies players and does the negotiations.

If it’s all Hag in a one man operation, what’s the point in the team of scouts, directors, backroom staff etc.
The amount of signings that are ex-players, played in the Eredivisie or Dutch can't be a coincidence

3-0 is not schooling?
It is like we love to prepented that 7 never happened.

De Ligt could easily be a coincidence. We're after a defender but can't spend too much and he's a quality one who is available for a good price. The fact that ETH has managed him before may not have anything to do with it (other than perhaps elevating us to being De Ligt's first choice).

Onana perhaps as well, being one of the two stand-out options at the time we wanted to sign a goalkeeper. In saying that, the rumours were that the club preferred Costa while ETH preferred Onana, but at the same time Costa would have been more expensive and probably seen as being riskier. So I don't think Onana being a target had anything to do with ETH, but ETH perhaps was the difference between him being 1st or 2nd choice (and once again perhaps elevated us in Onana's eyes so he'd leave Inter).

Mazraoui might be a bit of both, in the sense that we're looking for a cheap back-up fullback and he fits that bill (and has the same agent and at the same club as De Ligt so simplifies discussions), but it may be his history with ETH that gives him the edge.

So all three of the above would probably have been high on the clubs list regardless of the manager.

I'd say Antony and Martinez were the two that we definitely signed due to ETH. The amount of time we chased FDJ as well. Timber before he turned us down probably as well.

Mount, Weghorst, Malacia, Amrabat

How much power does he have on transfers?

I’m pretty sure he doesn’t take part in any fee negotiations, so perhaps the transfer total is irrelevant. Better for the click bait and interaction though I suppose.
Well we can only speculate, but the FACT is vast majority of the players we got/ are chasing are still ETH-linked. But, if the club says he is not involved, it must be the truth. I mean, why would the PR team say something different from what is actually happenning behind the curtains, right? That would be unprecedented.

Just to be clear, I don't hold this against Ten Hag. It's more I'm disappointed with Ineos so far. They will be judged based on results, not on PR/making a lot of changes for whatever reason.

3-0 is not schooling?

Of course 3 nil doesn't have to mean the manager was schooled. And I've no idea what your second sentence is trying to say.

3-0 is not schooling?

What are you expect that when the defensive triangle is the same (Case, Lindelof and Evens) ? Two of them we are expecting to ship them out and one would be our 5th defender..
Two fallback..One of them we are shipping out and one is newbie
What are you expect that when our one top is the same (Rashford) ? his age and experience shall be led the attacking line but his performance is still low
Sancho is also proven that he is not suitable in winger for the speed and antagonistic of premier league..

No matter the tactic of ETH is good or bad..
It is still half of the field players cannot adopt in the tactic (ability / execution etc)..it is still shown two unities in the field..

Last edited:
Started energetically but otherwise it was a case of same manager + same players + same tactics = same result.
He needs to get off to a good start as there are many who have no appetite for another season of him. Even Ineos had enough of him in April before their U-turn.

It’s so hard to see any evidence that anything’s changed. And therefore so hard to see anything but more of the same.

Good job we’re signing more of his old players then. That will be fun for the next manager to deal with.
Maybe their contingency plan is Nistelrooy, who’ll have then trained these players but be more willing to follow the “style of play” Ineos want

Yeh that's what I mean when I say the problems still remain. We still don't take our chances. We still concede really soft goals. We're still way too easy to counter against. We still struggle in the middle of the pitch.
I think the counter against point is consistent on most teams that try to dominate a game. City arsenal and Liverpool have always been vulnerable on counters. Didn't think we lost a midfield battle per say, and worth noting we likely haven't fielded a single player from our first choice midfield come the start of the season.

Looking at a couple of their goals, we had 4 stationed back vs their 2 and still conceded. Wan bissaka with a back post special for one for example.

We had some very good chances ourselves, not taken. But again, Garnacho Zirkzee Hojlund Bruno not on the pitch. Diallo and Rashy sure, and to be fair out of everyone Mount was probably the best. But I think structurally we are different and more balanced.

I think RvN will be our manager by November, and he’ll do pretty good.

Well we can only speculate, but the FACT is vast majority of the players we got/ are chasing are still ETH-linked. But, if the club says he is not involved, it must be the truth. I mean, why would the PR team say something different from what is actually happenning behind the curtains, right? That would be unprecedented.

Just to be clear, I don't hold this against Ten Hag. It's more I'm disappointed with Ineos so far. They will be judged based on results, not on PR/making a lot of changes for whatever reason.

I don’t actually mind us signing players for him, his former players. As I have stated (which we have disagreed on with you), I think we are making a long term commitment on him and I think it’s quite clear that he has some preference to work with players that he is familiar with.

It is the collective denial about his input in transfers that I find somewhat peculiar, it’s like we as a fan base have convinced ourselves that when it happened during previous regime it was due to their incompetence and inability to provide their own targets, but with INEOS it’s simply them landing at former Ajax players by chance.

I think there may be some value in recreating his Ajax defense. If we manage to be conclude Mazraoui and de Ligt deals, and go for Tagliafico (which I still don’t get how we haven’t been in for him yet as he makes perfect sense for two different reasons), we could realistically have the very best of his Ajax teams. Mourinho got two of his former defenders in when he moved from Porto to Chelsea and they worked brilliantly together next to Cole and Terry.

October is when he will be sacked along with all his Dutch staff. They are running those players into the ground, constant muscle injuries and what not. He is now being watched very closely by a proper football structure and he knows he needs to get them playing properly but I doubt he will just like last season. Injuries are bad but he can’t use that as an excuse again.

Agree. The day we confirmed him was the day we signed for a 70-80% chance that our season will be over by Nov with an interim coming in

If ETH is sacked by November, RVN will become the interim until end of the season. Its a perfect contingency plan as it immediately deflects any bad feeling towards the board, whilst the match goers (myself included) fully get behind a club legend. Basically Ole all over again.

I am not trolling.
I am neurosurgeon, all my professional career I am dealing people like EtH aka nepo babies. He is rich MF who stumbled on disfunctional club.
Any chance you could DM me your name, so I never go anywhere near your operating room?

He is no better than Ole or Moyes. Will be another 8th finish.
Two managers that between them have ONE major trophy in 40 years of management? Ten Hag has won more than their careers combined in his first two years.

Why is nuance lost on this website simply because we lost a pre-season friendly? You can not like him, not think he’s good enough, fine. But get a grip.

Last edited:
Two managers that between them have ONE major trophy in 40 years of management? Ten Hag was won more than their careers combined in his first two years.

Why is nuance lost on this website simply because we lost a pre-season friendly? You can not like him, not think he’s good enough, fine. But get a grip.
It's madness, isn't it?! People can't wait to write us off and seem to take a perverse pleasure in having a moan about us being shite. We've not even played a competitive game and we've been missing some of our most significant players for the friendlies that we have played.

I am not trolling.
I am neurosurgeon, all my professional career I am dealing people like EtH aka nepo babies. He is rich MF who stumbled on disfunctional club.
Well stranger things have happened.
@Dr. Dwayne is a penis enlargement doctor, @rimaldo is a registered sex offender, @Mr Pigeon and @BeepBeepImAJeep aren't even human. And yet they post in a football forum. Just being a neurosurgeon doesn’t absolve you.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon
Pre season tells us very little when it comes to overall team performance, making it pointless to overreact to poor or good performances. I don't think the first 45 mins last night (all I could be bothered watching) was a poor performance in general play by any means, some fairly decent attacking play, though still looking incredibly easy to get at once through the initial press.

More interested in the individual levels, Cas still looking as immobile as he did last season is a concern, Onana being unconvincing again another.

Pre season tells us very little when it comes to overall team performance, making it pointless to overreact to poor or good performances. I don't think the first 45 mins last night (all I could be bothered watching) was a poor performance in general play by any means, some fairly decent attacking play, though still looking incredibly easy to get at once through the initial press.

More interested in the individual levels, Cas still looking as immobile as he did last season is a concern, Onana being unconvincing again another.

Some of the issues apparent in last pre season haunted us all season long. Whilst it's not completely telling, I think you can see what the plan is to an extent. Anybody expecting him to completely change our football though are going to be disappointed.

I don’t actually mind us signing players for him, his former players. As I have stated (which we have disagreed on with you), I think we are making a long term commitment on him and I think it’s quite clear that he has some preference to work with players that he is familiar with.

It is the collective denial about his input in transfers that I find somewhat peculiar, it’s like we as a fan base have convinced ourselves that when it happened during previous regime it was due to their incompetence and inability to provide their own targets, but with INEOS it’s simply them landing at former Ajax players by chance.

I think there may be some value in recreating his Ajax defense. If we manage to be conclude Mazraoui and de Ligt deals, and go for Tagliafico (which I still don’t get how we haven’t been in for him yet as he makes perfect sense for two different reasons), we could realistically have the very best of his Ajax teams. Mourinho got two of his former defenders in when he moved from Porto to Chelsea and they worked brilliantly together next to Cole and Terry.
Exactly, this is bizarre. But it's just about acknowledging that we are still operating the same way we've been in previous years, although it still might change (and hopefully will).
I just find it weird that we're still chasing targets of a manager who has very little credit in the bank left entering his 3rd campaign (that's where we disagree). I am not arguing against signing those specific players, I have never seen them play and have 0 interest in this topic until they actually wear United shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.