Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
De Ligt and Mazraoui are both good players. The fact that ETH knows them both very well and may prefer them over players he is unfamiliar with is just a bonus, they’d have been good targets regardless. Our job is to ensure ten Hag has everything he needs to succeed and these signings will help him.

We have repeatedly failed to deliver his most desired target (de Jong) anyway.

friends-reunited-1720601942-142062.png
That's crazy.

De Ligt and Mazraoui are both good players. The fact that ETH knows them both very well and may prefer them over players he is unfamiliar with is just a bonus, they’d have been good targets regardless. Our job is to ensure ten Hag has everything he needs to succeed and these signings will help him.

De Jong was a complete unrealistic target as there could be. If Messi played for Ten Hag, we would have failed to let him in as well. De Jong wont leave Barca until he is out of contract. Ten Hag should know his players better. It was just nonsense to go 2 months for him. He was just showing how naive and stubborn he is.

De Ligt is fine, Mazaroui on the other hand is a big risk. He is injury prone and defensively suspect. He would never be a club target if it wasnt for ETH. West Ham is his level.

Yeah I don't think it's going to be great when the next manager comes in and can't get Ten Hag's 8 players to play any other way than the Ten Hag way that previously failed.

Let‘s not pass up on good deals just because players are connected to Ten Hag in some way.

De Ligt for the right price is a no brainer really, Mazraoui for 15 million is a good deal too as a skilled squad player.

Who cares if they worked with Ten Hag, if these players elevate the ceiling of the squad?

Will said injuries be a viable excuse, for him two seasons running?

I guess it boils down to how much him and his staff are to blame for them. If it happens again this season, it’s hardly a coincidence.

Let‘s not pass up on good deals just because players are connected to Ten Hag in some way.
De Ligt for the right price is a no brainer really, Mazraoui for 15 million is a good deal too as a skilled squad player.

Who cares if they worked with Ten Hag, if these players elevate the ceiling of the squad?
I agree but the concern here is it seems we're fishing in a very small pond. Just hard to believe that the best option out there always seems connected to Ten Hag.

FDJ, DVB, de Ligt, Neres, Tadic, Ziyech and Antony all played their best football under Ten Hag at Ajax with a very competent structure and a club that was ran like a professional football club is supposed to run. He now has that at United for the first time since he was hired.

I agree but the concern here is it seems we're fishing in a very small pond. Just hard to believe that the best option out there always seems connected to Ten Hag.
The limited pool has nothing to do with Ten Hag. Do you really think when they put their target list together that it’s made up exclusively of players that used to play for him and former Eriedivisie players? What we have is a limited pool of quality players that want to come here and we can realistically buy without violating PSR and FFP rules.

The limited pool has nothing to do with Ten Hag. Do you really think when they put their target list together that it’s made up exclusively of players that used to play for him and former Eriedivisie players? What we have is a limited pool of quality players that want to come here and we can realistically buy without violating PSR and FFP rules.
I find it hard to believe, but it certainly looks like it doesn't it? It's quite unusual (as shown in some of the posts above) how many ETH-related players we get/chase, it's a non refutable fact. As I said before, I was not too bothered about it once we got new owners that were supposed to run this like a serious football club and take control over transfers, but it doesn't seem to be the case. That, OR somehow all best available players are actually ETH-related, what I find hard to believe.

The great thing here is that this is ETH’s team. It’s an inflection point. If DeLigt and Mazouri get over the line, after 600m in transfer fees, 18 new players, most of them connected to Ten Hag either playing for him previously, or Dutch, we have now been molded into ETH’s vision. He still has his transfer veto. The coaches have been changed, including former managers. INEOS have given him every element of support.

At the very very least, 75-80pts, easy top 4, and deep cup runs, maybe a trophy. More scoring, better defending. It’s an absolute must, otherwise, he should be gone. 10 matches into the new season will tell us a lot.

FDJ, DVB, de Ligt, Neres, Tadic, Ziyech and Antony all played their best football under Ten Hag at Ajax with a very competent structure and a club that was ran like a professional football club is supposed to run. He now has that at United for the first time since he was hired.
Key phrase being "at Ajax".

The Premier League is not the Dutch league.

Which is why we signed Højlund, Yoro, Zirkzee, Casemiro, Mount. None of whom ever played under EtH before.

Which is why we signed Højlund, Yoro, Zirkzee, Casemiro, Mount. None of whom ever played under EtH before.
It doesn't change the fact how many players linked to ETH we signed/are chasing still. It's still a bit odd to me as he seems to be having a lot of influence on the transfer targets what actually works against him IMO.

It doesn't change the fact how many players linked to ETH we signed/are chasing still. It's still a bit odd to me as he seems to be having a lot of influence on the transfer targets what actually works against him IMO.
The media are going to link them because it gets them so much attention on their articles/tweets.

The media are going to link them because it gets them so much attention on their articles/tweets.
Are you denying those links? It's a fact he's topping the list of "spent most on his former players" list (and by quite some margin), and that's ignoring de Jong/de Ligt links. Not sure what's your point here.

Ok, but now we need to play absolute top football then. No excuses

Are you denying those links? It's a fact he's topping the list of "spent most on his former players" list (and by quite some margin), and that's ignoring de Jong/de Ligt links. Not sure what's your point here.
I agree that it's weird. Based on reports and interviews, United was lacking on the recruitment front previously and had to lean on Ten Hag too much, so those links of past transfers are understandable. According to everything we read now, that has changed since - yet now the club seems to be pulling in Mazraoui and De Ligt. They remain to be confirmed of course. But still.

Maybe it's a coincidence: Ten Hag in his Algemeen Dagblad interview stated that he wasn't the one bringing up De Ligt (in the past, yes, but not this year), and perhaps Mazraoui got into picture because United are pursuing De Ligt and Bayern are also keen to sell Mazraoui, rather than him being an original United target. But still.

So: it's weird. They usually have those postmortems of transfer windows some time in the fall, and I'm curious to find out how this one played out for real.

I think some of them are definitely baseless.

De Ligt and FdJ are both great players. We'd be lucky to have either, let alone both.

He tops that list because we spent silly money on Antony.

Jesus mate just stop :lol:

I think some of them are definitely baseless.

De Ligt and FdJ are both great players. We'd be lucky to have either, let alone both.

He tops that list because we spent silly money on Antony.
Which ones are baseless? I mean, there are clear numbers on how much $$ we spent on his former players, not sure what's up to debate here. It's a clear pattern.
I agree that it's weird. Based on reports and interviews, United was lacking on the recruitment front previously and had to lean on Ten Hag too much, so those links of past transfers are understandable. According to everything we read now, that has changed since - yet now the club seems to be pulling in Mazraoui and De Ligt. They remain to be confirmed of course. But still.

Maybe it's a coincidence: Ten Hag in his Algemeen Dagblad interview stated that he wasn't the one bringing up De Ligt (in the past, yes, but not this year), and perhaps Mazraoui got into picture because United are pursuing De Ligt and Bayern are also keen to sell Mazraoui, rather than him being an original United target. But still.

So: it's weird. They usually have those postmortems of transfer windows some time in the fall, and I'm curious to find out how this one played out for real.
It's not a coincidence. We're way beyond this point. And again, a new manager chasing his former players under broken club structure doesn't worry me, it's kind of natural to enforce your vision if you're allowed to do so. However, still chasing ETH-linked players after INEOS taking over control over football part of things, is just kind of weird. Seems to me like not much has changed?

Last edited:
I find it really impressive how people continue to totally ignore what comes out of the club on how transfer targets are identified, the process of choosing the preferred target etc, so they can persist with this childish nonsense that Manchester United let a manager buy his mates. Give it a rest, do you not realise how daft you sound.

We are quite obviously chasing players EtH has worked with. At this point even the most deluded must acknowledge that. And looking at how the Antony deal went I can't wrap my head around it. Mazraoui has the potential to be the next clusterfeck.

I find it really impressive how people continue to totally ignore what comes out of the club on how transfer targets are identified, the process of choosing the preferred target etc, so they can persist with this childish nonsense that Manchester United let a manager buy his mates. Give it a rest, do you not realise how daft you sound.
I have the transfer forum on ignore, and don't follow club statements/comments at all. Just checking the facts.
I find it bizarre people actually believe club/managers statements.

It’s tiresome and embarrassing. I’ve pretty much given up on it. This forum used to be strict on who they promoted from the newbies but now..

I don't think we're letting ETH just sign his mates. De Ligt is a good player, and we've wanted him for years. I'm not bothered about all that. What bothers me is how he sets the team up because, if it's as bad as last season, he's going to be in the shit very quickly.

It’s tiresome and embarrassing. I’ve pretty much given up on it. This forum used to be strict on who they promoted from the newbies but now..
Fully agreed on the bolded part. It's a weird discussion, on one end there are people presenting facts, numbers, links (that show how many ETH related players we got/still chase), and on the other end are people that just go "nah".

Quality control
He didn't, we carved Liverpool open plenty enough to have scored at least 3 goals in that game. But I hope he learned that without players that can finish chances, we're going to struggle.
Arne is football guy, EtH is just rich boy got bored...and he found new hobby.

Fully agreed on the bolded part. It's a weird discussion, on one end there are people presenting facts, numbers, links (that show how many ETH related players we got/still chase), and on the other end are people that just go "nah".

:lol:

I'm still not convinced we're tactically strong enough. We're ripped open far too easily, far too often, both on the flanks and through the centre.

How much power does he have on transfers?

I’m pretty sure he doesn’t take part in any fee negotiations, so perhaps the transfer total is irrelevant. Better for the click bait and interaction though I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.