Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
A debate on ETH’s time here could be an endless, exhausting one but I don’t think it’s fair to point to fans and call them out for not supporting him and to say that he deserves a better group of fans. For what he has shown here, the support he has got from our fan base has been absolutely immense. Successful managers, and I don’t think he has been one so far, usually don’t get the extent of overwhelming support he has got.
Not sure about that, he’s been called fraud and all manner of names by a large section on here for a long time now. I get some people love a moan - just look at the matchday threads when we lose vs when we win in terms of activity - but there’s a big % on here who seem overly invested in him being sacked.

Not sure about that, he’s been called fraud and all manner of names by a large section on here for a long time now. I get some people love a moan - just look at the matchday threads when we lose vs when we win in terms of activity - but there’s a big % on here who seem overly invested in him being sacked.
This forum is rather meaningless in the grand scheme and none of the things being said on here are likely to ever reach or affect our coach. It’s pretty much the only place on the internet that I have seen a balance discussion, otherwise Reddits/twitter/everywhere else he has been hugely supported, and the sentiment among matchgoing fans seems to have been overwhelmingly positive as well.

As a fan base we are basically oblivious to anything our manager does as we seem to have collectively convinced ourselves that time is the crucial factor that will turn any manager into a world class coach, eventually. We are the only club in the world where this belief is so common among fans.

This forum is rather meaningless in the grand scheme and none of the things being said on here are likely to ever reach or affect our coach. It’s pretty much the only place on the internet that I have seen a balance discussion, otherwise Reddits/twitter/everywhere else he has been hugely supported, and the sentiment among matchgoing fans seems to have been overwhelmingly positive as well.

As a fan base we are basically oblivious to anything our manager does as we seem to have collectively convinced ourselves that time is the crucial factor that will turn any manager into a world class coach, eventually. We are the only club in the world where this belief is so common among fans.
Caf is pretty accurate in terms of representing our global fan base from what I’ve seen. The last poll I saw was 50/50 sack ETH pre cup final and then slid a bit in his favour after the win but that’s about what I’ve found speaking to other fans.

Not sure the last para holds true, one of the weird car myths that pops up now and again. I’m not sure anyone has said they think ETH is going to win everything with us but many believe the alternatives who were available were less appealing. From the tone of your second para I assume you want him out, if he’s as terrible as many have said he’ll be gone by Oct/Nov so you haven’t too long to wait.

Caf is pretty accurate in terms of representing our global fan base from what I’ve seen. The last poll I saw was 50/50 sack ETH pre cup final and then slid a bit in his favour after the win but that’s about what I’ve found speaking to other fans.

Not sure the last para holds true, one of the weird car myths that pops up now and again. I’m not sure anyone has said they think ETH is going to win everything with us but many believe the alternatives who were available were less appealing. From the tone of your second para I assume you want him out, if he’s as terrible as many have said he’ll be gone by Oct/Nov so you haven’t too long to wait.
I don’t mind him staying. The club has made a decision to back him long term and I hope it’s a good one. I don’t think he’s going anywhere anytime soon.

I don’t think Caf is really representative. I’d expect Reddit to be closer to that and it seems tilted at least 80/20 in ETH’s favor

I don’t mind him staying. The club has made a decision to back him long term and I hope it’s a good one. I don’t think he’s going anywhere anytime soon.

I don’t think Caf is really representative. I’d expect Reddit to be closer to that and it seems tilted at least 80/20 in ETH’s favor
Why do you keep saying that? He has not been backed long term, extension on his current contract has been triggered what just means he's been given another chance. If the club club was convinced about Ten Hag, he would've been given a new contract.

This new structure and someone in control over transfers might save Ten Hag, but it won't make him a good manager. He's just lucky on many levels, but still has a lot to prove. He's been given a chance, that's it.

Why do you keep saying that? He has not been backed long term, extension on his current contract has been triggered what just means he's been given another chance. If the club club was convinced about Ten Hag, he would've been given a new contract.

This new structure and someone in control over transfers might save Ten Hag, but it won't make him a good manager. He's just lucky on many levels, but still has a lot to prove. He's been given a chance, that's it.
We still went and extended his deal that still had another year to run, indicating we don’t merely plan on giving him a few months to prove himself. If that was the case, we would not have executed that option.

I think behind the scenes it was hard to negotiate anything longer than merely the opt-in we have executed because he has lost a bit of trust in our new establishment after managerial saga earlier this Summer and wants to see how things unfold in the next few months. It’s going to be him giving us a chance more than the other way around as it has been implied. We need to prove him that we can and will back him properly.

I won’t be surprised to see him sign a proper extension a couple months into season.

Btw for those throwing hissy fits for those "doubting Ten Hag after a pre season loss".

We are doubting Ten Hag after a season where we broke countless records for the worst performance in a number of metrics, finished in our lowest ever Premier League position, went out of the Champions League group stage and didn't even get Europa because we finished bottom, faced 20 shots per game, finished with a minus goal difference. (I could go on for a long longer).

No one is judging a manager based on a Pre-Season game, we are judging him on 2 full years where he has brought us further away from our goal despite having been backed to the tune of over half a billion pounds.

He is incredibly lucky to be in his job and until he does something (I.e consistent week on week performances) then he will be betraying that opportunity and judged for it. If you don't like the manager that's produced the worst week on week performances in 30 years despite being backed hugely facing scrutiny then I'd suggest you just stay of this thread.

Sitting here moaning about people having questions about him after how poorly he has performed isn't being a top red. It's embarrassing.

50% of people wanting him to stay after that shit show last season is a remarkable level of support.

Btw for those throwing hissy fits for those "doubting Ten Hag after a pre season loss".

We are doubting Ten Hag after a season where we broke countless records for the worst performance in a number of metrics, finished in our lowest ever Premier League position, went out of the Champions League group stage and didn't even get Europa because we finished bottom, faced 20 shots per game, finished with a minus goal difference. (I could go on for a long longer).

No one is judging a manager based on a Pre-Season game, we are judging him on 2 full years where he has brought us further away from our goal despite having been backed to the tune of over half a billion pounds.

He is incredibly lucky to be in his job and until he does something (I.e consistent week on week performances) then he will be betraying that opportunity and judged for it. If you don't like the manager that's produced the worst week on week performances in 30 years despite being backed hugely facing scrutiny then I'd suggest you just stay of this thread.

Sitting here moaning about people having questions about him after how poorly he has performed isn't being a top red. It's embarrassing.
eth1.jpg
eth2.jpg

Most accurate username I've ever seen btw.

Specially with Arsenal successful Emirates Cup defence every year since ETH been here. We’ve only won the 2 cups :smirk:

We still went and extended his deal that still had another year to run, indicating we don’t merely plan on giving him a few months to prove himself. If that was the case, we would not have executed that option.

I think behind the scenes it was hard to negotiate anything longer than merely the opt-in we have executed because he has lost a bit of trust in our new establishment after managerial saga earlier this Summer and wants to see how things unfold in the next few months. It’s going to be him giving us a chance more than the other way around as it has been implied. We need to prove him that we can and will back him properly.

I won’t be surprised to see him sign a proper extension a couple months into season.
Well, honestly mate I think you're not being serious at this point but fair enough, benefit of the doubt.

Once the club decided not to sack Ten Hag, it was very obvious he was going to get an extension just to make the public/press back out. The only question was if this is going to be something long term, or more of a temporary option to buy some time.The club did the right thing to pick the latter.

I think he will be lucky to last until the end of the season but I would bet against him being our manager a year from now.

50% of people wanting him to stay after that shit show last season is a remarkable level of support.
I think many just want to be right rather than actually thinking it through. What alternative was better?

Whilst it was a really bad season domestically, he still is the only manager to win cups in back to back seasons post SAF and, somewhat amazingly, is the only manager to get top four whilst winning a cup as well.

People who seem intent of him not being good enough seem unable to accept it ‘might’ have been the worst injury crisis we’ve seen for a long time. People who are ok with him getting a bit more time, like me, are more interested to simply see how he does now with more of a head coach role and less of the Glazer shitshow managers have had since forever. He may well fail miserably, but I’d like to at least see how he does and if he’s as bad as many seem to think, he’ll be done after a few games and we’ll get a new coach in.

I have found the opposite, the larger fan base differ in views about most things, players, managers, ownership.

Well, honestly mate I think you're not being serious at this point but fair enough, benefit of the doubt.

Once the club decided not to sack Ten Hag, it was very obvious he was going to get an extension just to make the public/press back out. The only question was if this is going to be something long term, or more of a temporary option to buy some time.The club did the right thing to pick the latter.

I think he will be lucky to last until the end of the season but I would bet against him being our manager a year from now.
I’m being serious, to be fair I have always been serious when I had voiced my view that his job was safe and I had thought almost throughout the whole saga that they would eventually arrive at a new contract for him. I had a brief moment of doubt before and after the final when pundits all seemed in agreement that he was going to be dismissed, that’s all. I was actually one of the very few who had been fairly confident of him staying on for most of the time.

I think keeping him after last season, with virtually every manager bar Klopp, Pep and Ancelotti available was a statement of intent itself. I know there’s a prevalent sentiment that we did it due to lack of options but this is nonsense, we could have got almost any coach bar those three at one point but ended up extending him.

And I still think he has one of the safest jobs in the league and INEOS are going to be very patient with him. If he’s able to deliver top 4/5 next year, there’s absolutely zero chance that he will be under any threat, but even results below that if properly justified with mitigating factors (like last season was) are likely to be acceptable. I actually expect us to have a decent year regardless (4th/5th and a good EL cup ran as the competition is not stacked with top teams this year and for the first time in a while we won’t have teams being demoted from CL and dropped into EL after groups, which had usually boosted quality considerably mid-way through competition).

I think many just want to be right rather than actually thinking it through. What alternative was better?

Whilst it was a really bad season domestically, he still is the only manager to win cups in back to back seasons post SAF and, somewhat amazingly, is the only manager to get top four whilst winning a cup as well.

People who seem intent of him not being good enough seem unable to accept it ‘might’ have been the worst injury crisis we’ve seen for a long time. People who are ok with him getting a bit more time, like me, are more interested to simply see how he does now with more of a head coach role and less of the Glazer shitshow managers have had since forever. He may well fail miserably, but I’d like to at least see how he does and if he’s as bad as many seem to think, he’ll be done after a few games and we’ll get a new coach in.
Just wanting to be proved right works on both sides.

A manager who didn’t set up without a midfield probably would’ve fared better. Indeed, in the few matches where we did play two in midfield we were a lot more solid and led to the win against City. The injuries do not excuse why we were second best in about 90% of our matches last season.

I see our midfield rotation of Bruno, Mainoo, Mount (only 3 good enough) and then see Casemiro, Eriksen, McT, maybe Collyer/Hannibal.....I have very little hope for our season. We need a proper DM and another CM to rotate with Mainoo. Which is not happening. That's where I am.
I think Mount is to rotate Mainoo. I really hope we don’t go for Mainoo, Mount and
Bruno in one midfield. It has Mainoo not in his best role and strenghts and very little defensive backup.

Just wanting to be proved right works on both sides.

A manager who didn’t set up without a midfield probably would’ve fared better. Indeed, in the few matches where we did play two in midfield we were a lot more solid and led to the win against City. The injuries do not excuse why we were second best in about 90% of our matches last season.
Not really, what would someone just wanting to see how he fares be right about? I want us play in an entertaining way and hopefully win things, don’t really care who coaches us.

Re midfield I think it will be different this year, let’s see. That was a conscious decision after we moved from the double pivot and we really didn’t have the personnel to do so, he stuck to it too stubbornly but then we did win a good trophy so it wasn’t completely awful. Let’s see how this season shapes up.

I have found the opposite, the larger fan base differ in views about most things, players, managers, ownership.
I’d bet - though I have no way of proving it - we’re no different to any other club. There’s just more noise with United but I’ve no doubt you get the same sides forking with any club who aren’t where they feel they should be/want to be.

I’d bet - though I have no way of proving it - we’re no different to any other club. There’s just more noise with United but I’ve no doubt you get the same sides forking with any club who aren’t where they feel they should be/want to be.
Oh yea we will be the same.

Not really, what would someone just wanting to see how he fares be right about? I want us play in an entertaining way and hopefully win things, don’t really care who coaches us.

Re midfield I think it will be different this year, let’s see. That was a conscious decision after we moved from the double pivot and we really didn’t have the personnel to do so, he stuck to it too stubbornly but then we did win a good trophy so it wasn’t completely awful. Let’s see how this season shapes up.
I thought we were talking about those who want him to stay versus those thinking he should be sacked? Are you suggesting that 50% you referenced are only interested in seeing how he does? Why would the other 50% not just be interested in seeing how somebody else fares?

In two years he has spectacularly failed to have us play in an entertaining way.

We won the cup because he abandoned his vacant midfield idea. It is not evidence that his tactics weren’t all bad when he had to give up on them to win.

So, just to be clear, ETH needs at least five months to instill a new philosophy for what is his team?

He isn't a new manager.
It's not instilling a new philosophy. We have seen these teams play good football in parts. But they have been far to inconsistent. To integrate new players in the team and have a fixed playing 11 is not going to be easy. We are still signing players and by the looks of it all these players will be expected to slot right in. Such things will take time.

I'm not calling for managers head after two games, that is for sure.

I thought we were talking about those who want him to stay versus those thinking he should be sacked? Are you suggesting that 50% you referenced are only interested in seeing how he does? Why would the other 50% not just be interested in seeing how somebody else fares?

In two years he has spectacularly failed to have us play in an entertaining way.

We won the cup because he abandoned his vacant midfield idea. It is not evidence that his tactics weren’t all bad when he had to give up on them to win.
I explained it clearly already to you. Re sack or no sack.

Ah yes, let’s criticise him the games we don’t play well in and refuse to praise him for the games we do.

I just do not see how this season will be much better than the last. The teams biggest issue is its midfield and wingers, both of which have not been addressed in the transfer window. How many more seasons will it take for the club to realize Rashford is not good enough? Even Southgate of all people can see hes not good enough

I think Mount is to rotate Mainoo. I really hope we don’t go for Mainoo, Mount and
Bruno in one midfield. It has Mainoo not in his best role and strenghts and very little defensive backup.
We need to have an option for when Bruno isn't available, needs a rest or has a dramatic drop in form. I know he's been indestructible recently but anyone can be injured, Mount should be our go to option here. We've overplayed Bruno as there weren't options, a fit Mount gives us one.

you cant blame fans for not supporting him or to put it in a better way want him out. Last year was dross from all aspects, performance, results, injuries and everything, we fluked a final and won and saved the season. Those fans, like myself, are not that hopefull for this year. INEOS themselves took ages to confirm him (with rumours saying they couldnt agree a deal with tuchel and thats why he stayed). They also changed ALL of his staff which means ALOT! We support the club not an indivdual! If things are not going well, if we are playing dross you cant blindly suppost somone like that. No issues here most fans wanted him out before the FA CUP final, lets hope he changes his bloody tactics and the new staff will help him out in that.

We need to have an option for when Bruno isn't available, needs a rest or has a dramatic drop in form. I know he's been indestructible recently but anyone can be injured, Mount should be our go to option here. We've overplayed Bruno as there weren't options, a fit Mount gives us one.
Yes ofcourse Mount can give Bruno a rest as well, but Zirkzee and Eriksen can play there too and even Diallo could. CM and DM are the bigger problems.

I explained it clearly already to you. Re sack or no sack.

Ah yes, let’s criticise him the games we don’t play well in and refuse to praise him for the games we do.
You made out that one side is motivated by being right and the side you are on isn’t. While providing no real evidence as to why.

We were talking about how he left us without a midfield all season and you said it wasn’t all bad because we won a cup. We won a cup because he abandoned his suicidal tactics after over 50 games of evidence it didn’t work. I’m not sure it’s deserving of huge praise that it took him so long to realise.

You made out that one side is motivated by being right and the side you are on isn’t. While providing no real evidence as to why.

We were talking about how he left us without a midfield all season and you said it wasn’t all bad because we won a cup. We won a cup because he abandoned his suicidal tactics after over 50 games of evidence it didn’t work. I’m not sure it’s deserving of huge praise that it took him so long to realise.

And then set us up in the final in the same way as I’m sure nearly all the other managers in the premier league would have done versus City. We won that final because we have some exceptional players and City had a bit of an off day.

ETH gets some credit for the final for not actively harming our chances of winning (contrary to his tactics for most of the rest of the season). However, it’s a long way away from some sort of tactical masterclass which should give us belief that he’s capable of kicking on over the course of a full season.

Status
Not open for further replies.