Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am suggesting a competent club might have a better idea of the type of manager they are looking for than we seem to
They have a good idea of the type of manager, but they may need convincing from their shortlist. Tuchel is known to be a difficult personality to work with and they wanted to see if he showed signs of adapting to the club. It looks like their minds weren't changed.

What a bizarre situation. Weeks later and they're still interviewing replacements, and presumably leaving Ten Hag hanging whilst they take their sweet time being "diligent".

I'd be surprised if Ten Hag even wanted to continue after all this.

he went on holiday it's fairly possible he knows and they just decided to announce it when he got back

So you’re happy to wait for berrada but not for his pick of DoF
Berradas appointment was sorted fairly quickly, it was clear quite quickly that appointing ashworth woukd be more messy. Also, I would expect the dof to have direct responsibility for overseeing the appointment of the new manager and recruitment

Scored fourteen more goals, took six points off us yet failed to finish above us or win a trophy.

de Zerbi cannot seriously be considered an upgrade. Rather, his would be a 'company' appointment. Sign some Ineos players. Play the Ineos way. Sacked after two middling, tophy-free seasons for god knows who. Poch, probably.

Change qua change. What's the point?

It's possible, but hopefully will never come to pass.

But he’s managing Brighton? His regular players are Welbeck, Lallana and Milner.I think ETH spent more on Antony than Di Zerbi probably has in his entire career

Brighton are a club in trouble. They are selling 2-3 good players per window and the squad they currently have is shocking.

I bet Brighton are a bottom 15 club this season.

They have a good idea of the type of manager, but they may need convincing from their shortlist. Tuchel is known to be a difficult personality to work with and they wanted to see if he showed signs of adapting to the club. It looks like their minds weren't changed.
OK so based on the managers we are being linked with (assuming the rumors are mostly true) what style of manager are we looking for?

Berradas appointment was sorted fairly quickly, it was clear quite quickly that appointing ashworth woukd be more messy. Also, I would expect the dof to have direct responsibility for overseeing the appointment of the new manager and recruitment
Yet both are not allowed to actually work for us until they see our their gardening leave. There’s no difference

If he walked he wouldnt get paid off which isnt ideal if you're EtH, could he claim constructive dismissal? There's been discussions with potential replacements so surely he'd have a case?
Why aren't employers allowed to seek out your replacement while you're still there? Some companies even make you train them

OK so based on the managers we are being linked with (assuming the rumors are mostly true) what style of manager are we looking for?
It's clear that we want a progressive coach who can adapt to the game model set by Wilcox, which will likely be in line with the club's own ethos. We also want someone who can elevate the level of our players, and make do with what he has while we make slow and steady changes to the squad (This has been reported too).

Tuchel is capable of this, but he's also dropped out with every higher up he's worked under. I think INEOS are smart to not rush into the brand of Thomas Tuchel and actually scope out his fit.

I'm not 100% sure De Zerbi is the guy for patience too, he got impatient quite quickly with Brighton and fell out with them.

Yet both are not allowed to actually work for us until they see our their gardening leave. There’s no difference
As i said we should have appointed a dof who could start early summer given how important they are in recruiting a new manager and players. I just don't believe ashworth is significantly better than other options that were more getable

Basically sounds like they went for Tuchel and failed. Now looking more clueless than ever.

ETH should resign.

This mess makes his position weak even if he's kept on. Gareth Southgate can feck off too, hope England get knocked out in the group stages if that means we don't end up with him.

INEPTEOS are finding out it's not all sunshine and rainbows when trying to improve a football club.

This is probably their first clear mistake with handling this situation. They wanted rid of Ten Hag but didn't have a better manager lined up.

This should mean Ten Hag gets atleast a one year extension in my mind, with there being a break clause at the end of next season if it doesn't go well.

I believe Ten Hag would also go for that to atleast get the next 2 years at the club on paper.

ETH cant resign, he's waiting for the £9m payoff.

Wouldnt have felt sorry for him if he'd been sacked promptly but the way Ineos are doing it is shambolic and a grim sign of things to come under their reign

A load of stupid cooks have been let in the kitchen

The constant rumours and links can be ignored as newspaper bollocks to a degree.

But the silence coming out of the club i support of EtH is deafening.

Such a poor showing from INEOS. Really leaves a terrible impression of them as new owners.

Why? He is from a mega rich familly so dosnt need the money

:lol: You dont get to be rich by casually walking away from £9m when it's owed to you.

It's more than double what any other club would offer him for work next season

This is all so unnecessary. Ineos would've lost nothing by keeping ETH on for another season, it would've given them a couple of transfer windows to do some squad rebuilding and then a proper considered handover next summer - we're not going to win the title next season regardless of manager so feck it, spend the time putting the foundations in place. Instead they've put themselves under huge pressure in a poor managerial market and are making themselves look utter fools.

Why? He is from a mega rich familly so dosnt need the money

He must know he's practically gone now, so why not hold out? But we don't even know it's £9m payout anymore. It was said that failure to qualify for CL would mean his payout drops to £6.25m. Unless they got that wrong and it was failure to qualify for any European competition, which would have been stupid on the clubs part given what happened was always a possibility and isn't good enough.

Might as well write off the next 2/3 years. De Zerbi has done nothing in his career and hasn't shown any indication that he could be a top manager.

We're writing off the next 2/3 years whatever happens. If ETH stays. If Southgate comes. If it's RdZ or Frank.

The only differences are will we be playing attractive losing football or unattractive losing football.

The way Ineos have allowed the "review process" to drag on for three weeks is a joke, very poor to be honest.
If they were considering firing eth they should have done it at this stage. One of the big problems Is the lack of idea replacements. He should be left in the job and get the backing from ineos. If they are waiting for Southgate then we are really fecked. What has he ever done as a manager? is it another case of employing British, hopefully not. Sean Dyce has a better record than Southgate . My mother would have done as well as Southgate in the England job.

Last edited:
As i said we should have appointed a dof who could start early summer given how important they are in recruiting a new manager and players. I just don't believe ashworth is significantly better than other options that were more getable
Ashworth is actually one of the best around. Certainly within British clubs

Agree with this sentiment.

How can we be certain we are "leaving him hanging". For all we know, he's been told part of the review is looking at other candidates and he's just gone on holiday while it wraps up. It's the new owners perogative to pick their leadership. Not conventional, but it's possible.

Sounds like it has leaked because Tuchel isn’t going to get the job, I’m assuming they have narrowed it down to one or two names now and we’ll find out who next manager is going to be over next few days.

Tuchel never made sense. Poch is the obvious candidate but smartest move is to keep ETH and buy better players instead. Oh and stop playing a one man midfield until we buy a young Kante.

If he walked he wouldnt get paid off which isnt ideal if you're EtH, could he claim constructive dismissal? There's been discussions with potential replacements so surely he'd have a case?

He'd have to resign first (which would be risky) and there would ultimately be no point in advancing that claim (even if he had a great case) - the payout he will receive from United if he is sacked this summer will vastly outstrip anything he'd be awarded at tribunal for a successful constructive dismissal claim. Far better from Ten Hag's perspective to just sit tight and wait for United to make their move.

United need to pull their finger out, though. I don't see how they can keep Ten Hag in post now that the world knows Ratcliffe has met with Tuchel. The only way to regain Ten Hag's authority would be for United to publicly deny that the meeting with Tuchel ever took place (which looks difficult, given how widely reported it now is). Otherwise, we go into the season with a manager at the helm that everyone knows the club tried to remove in the summer - the only reason he'd still be there would be because everyone they approached turned them down. Ten Hag's position would be completely untenable.

Last edited:
Isn’t it rather obvious by now that the media is rather clueless on what’s going on?

Blindingly.

Before the FA cup final the word was that he was being sacked after the final. Dead man walking. Now it’s been two weeks of «ongoing reviews» where the claim is that we’re in talk with a bunch of other managers, to the point of Ratcliffe personally being involved in talks, and that the results of the reviews are soon to be in.

Piss easy being a journalist, it would seem.

Not sure why people actually bother reading the articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.