Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with this sentiment.

Yep. Also I'm still convinced Southgate is media BS but the rumors don't go away. The rest of the people we've been linked to have a clear tactical blueprint and will be a continuation of what Ten Hag built tactically so far.

Southgate will be Ole / Jose 2.0 and mostly back to Vibes FC / Rashford - Bruno hero-ball. If they decide to say feck modern football and positional play, we're more Real Madrid than Barcelona then they shouldn't be linked to all these guys

I guess we only know what's been speculated, but if this scattergun approach to getting a new manager is for real, then I've not got much hope for this regime at all.

Let’s take this Southgate link seriously for a second (almost threw up in my mouth typing that), if we did want him as a manager, wouldn’t we just pay out the last 5 or so months of his existing contract, just get him now and tell England to go feck themselves if they don‘t like it?

Other coaches we've been linked with include Frank and Michel at Girona, who we haven't seen discussed here. Also Poch, that article saying he's 'unlikely' isn't worth a carrot.

What about Xavi or Amorim who haven't really been talked about at all, maybe he met them on the quiet last week as well but very much doubt it. I think you can safely say there is no way they could lure the likes of Zidane or Simeone right now either.

Last edited:
Tuchel will have asked for a load of stuff and got told no, Ratcliffe will have seen he is a pain the arse and a short termist, which is good.

It will be Poch or Frank. I've thought that all along. And we will buy a couple of new players and improve our injury record and finish fourth. Probably won't do as well as we would have done if ETH had stayed, but we will never know.

Let’s take this Southgate link seriously for a second (almost threw up in my mouth typing that), if we did want him as a manager, wouldn’t we just pay out the last 5 or so months of his existing contract, just get him now and tell England to go feck themselves if they don‘t like it?

I just won't stomach Utd whilst he is manager, yes I'm well aware that makes me an awful fan

100%

My whole time on redcafe, nothing confuses me more than the De Zerbi love-in. He’s literally done nothing. His football being attractive is a myth too. It’s diarrhoea on the eyes.
De Zerbis reputation is bigger than Red Cafe. He’s been earmarked as Peps replacement at City. If we can get him, we should.

RDZ and Frank’s performances against ETH’s Utd in England says otherwise.
You don't swap managers just because they beat you in a once off game. Also didn't we beat Brighton the second time?
I am not convinced he's the right man for the job but the options out there are not much better.
If ETH stays however I would not leave him in charge of transfers.

De Zerbis reputation is bigger than Red Cafe. He’s been earmarked as Peps replacement at City. If we can get him, we should.

We should see if there’s anyone else who has been earmarked as Pep’s successor on the market.

Who’s that bald Dutch fella who Pep spoke very highly of? Used to be Ajax manager I think.

RDZ and Frank’s performances against ETH’s Utd in England says otherwise.
I wouldn't say that's entirely reasonable. United won one and lost one against Brighton this year, and won one and drew one against Brentford. So it's hardly this dominance you appear to suggest, unless you mean in how they have progressed their sides this season?

United 23/24 finished 5 places and 15 points worse off than 22/23 with a goal difference swing of -16.
Brighton 23/24 finished 5 places and 14 points worse off than 22/23 with a goal difference swing of -26.
Brentford 23/24 finished 7 places and 20 points worse off than 22/23 with a goal difference swing of -21.

Nope, still not seeing it.

De Zerbi and Frank have done nothing to deserve the Man United job. Both are inferior managers than ETH.

Agreed, but we do live in a world where Bayern Munich just hired the 38 year old manager of Burnley FC with a below 50% winning percentage so far. So anything is possible in regards to De Zerbi and Frank.

Even if he limps on he will be sacked by Christmas. Just move on now, it's become a farce

That final and him hugging Garnacho and Mainoo at the end was very special.

If you were going to keep him, the time was after those images and all the sentimentality that went with the day.

The fact that they stayed silent means the decision was already made.

If that decision is Southgate, we are doomed. It tanks INEOS from the start and removes any hope that they could be different.

You don't swap managers just because they beat you in a once off game. Also didn't we beat Brighton the second time?
I am not convinced he's the right man for the job but the options out there are not much better.
If ETH stays however I would not leave him in charge of transfers.
22/23 Brighton 1-0 Utd
22/23 Fa Cup Semi Brighton 0-0 Utd
23/24 Utd 1-3 Brighton
23/24 Brighton 0-2 Utd

22/23 Brentford 4-0 Utd
22/23 Utd 1-0 Brentford*
23/24 Utd 2-1 Brentford
23/24 Brentford 1-1 Utd

In all of these 8 games listed, 4 for RDZ and 4 for Frank, I can confidently say that Utd were the better side for one of those games (asterisked).

The other 7 games, especially the 1-3 and 1-1 in 23/24, ETH has been comprehensively outcoached in relation to the resource available to each manager. That 1-1 vs Brentford was the biggest beating I’ve seen a Utd side take performance wise this century.

It’s not even close when looking at their Premier League résumés. Between ETH, RDZ and Frank.

Brentford and Brighton.

That final and him hugging Garnacho and Mainoo at the end was very special.

If you were going to keep him, the time was after those images and all the sentimentality that went with the day.

The fact that they stayed silent means the decision was already made.

If that decision is Southgate, we are doomed. It tanks INEOS from the start and removes any hope that they could be different.

Personally I cannot see a way to continue to support the club if they sack ETH for Southgate this summer.

I can’t be the only one who it would be the final straw for!?

It's an absolute shit show that has told us the sum total of feck all .

The only thing that I can take from it with any degree of certainty , is that Jimbo comes from the same school of billionaire as Bruce Wayne .

He has unparalleled anti detection capabilities that allow him to pluck his targets out of thin air in the dead of night and stealth drop them into his impenetrable secret tax haven bunker for talks .

After what seemed like a brief half hour chat the target is released . It is only then that he realizes that 5 full days have passed and he really should let his agent know that he's ok .

I wouldn't say that's entirely reasonable. United won one and lost one against Brighton this year, and won one and drew one against Brentford. So it's hardly this dominance you appear to suggest, unless you mean in how they have progressed their sides this season?

United 23/24 finished 5 places and 15 points worse off than 22/23 with a goal difference swing of -16.
Brighton 23/24 finished 5 places and 14 points worse off than 22/23 with a goal difference swing of -26.
Brentford 23/24 finished 7 places and 20 points worse off than 22/23 with a goal difference swing of -21.

Nope, still not seeing it.
I am talking about head to head. From a coaching aspect.

ETH has been outcoached at every turn against both. That ‘draw’ against Brentford this season was the most disgraceful Utd performance against a poor side I’ve seen in over 25 years. They battered us.

And I don’t even want Frank here. It’s just facts. The eye test doesn’t lie.

If this is a sign of how we'll handle transfer business its going to be an exhausting summer.

Our biggest deals are going to be resigning Evans and Amrabat and spending the rest of the summer playing who's the skintest with Everton over Branthwaite.

What about Xavi or Amorim who haven't really been talked about at all, maybe he met them on the quiet last week as well but very much doubt it. I think you can safely say there is no way they could lure the likes of Zidane or Simeone right now either.

Honestly I don't think Xavi is the right guy we need. Barca fans were furious with some of his decisions and handling of players, even they were sick of him and look who he was to them as a player. Then on top of that, he falls out with the club too and comes across incredibly bitter. Amorim should genuinely be an option but I've not seen us linked and, according to the Caf, he's said he's not leaving.

Zidane just seems a no-go, not even sure anymore if he even wants to be a coach in all honesty. Simeone would have been my no 1 pick a while back but, again, seemingly isn't looking to leave and we've not been linked. He ticks every box for me as a coach, he's rebuilt Inter and Lazio previously, reached a CL Final with an unfancied Inter and gave City a good game. He's won titles, cups, plays good football, is flexible in his tactics and has shown innovation with some things he's done. Unfortunately it just doesn't look an option.

De Zerbi and Frank have done nothing to deserve the Man United job. Both are inferior managers than ETH.

What should they have done with Brighton and fecking Brentford? They've both done a great job. Whether that gets you the United job, who knows? But they've not shown me anything that says they'd do a poor job here. If anything, given the talented players and our resources, I'd say that if they just brought the same level of coaching here then they'd do a good job.

RDZ would set us on the right path in terms the football he quickly implements and will bring excitement. He's shown when he has a solid team they can give anybody a game, and not just in a plucky underdog fashion, but genuinely taking the game to top teams. He's had Brighton punching way above their weight, but having your team stripped of its best players and a huge injury list across the team, including his first choice front 3, it was clearly a big task to keep up previous levels.

One would hope the manager and transfers will happen in very quick succession once a decision is announced.
I hope there's more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye. If we haven't started any legwork on transfers, we'll be behind the curve all summer, yet again.

I hope there's more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye. If we haven't started any legwork on transfers, we'll be behind the curve all summer, yet again.

I think it may be a part of an overall strategy - manager situation resolved, coupled with a list of players the manager requests. Another part of the delay may also be that SJR is still working on finalizing his executive team, which would have a big say on who our transfers are.

I am talking about head to head. From a coaching aspect.

ETH has been outcoached at every turn against both. That ‘draw’ against Brentford this season was the most disgraceful Utd performance against a poor side I’ve seen in over 25 years. They battered us.

And I don’t even want Frank here. It’s just facts. The eye test doesn’t lie.
It's not "facts" that he was been "outcoached at every turn against both". It's your opinion and is nothing more than hyperbole.

Brentford 0-4 game, no more of an "outcoaching" than a goalkeeping disasterclass that killed the game before it had even started. But fine, if you want that one, have it.
FA Cup Semi final, 0-0, we went in as underdogs as they were fresh and we went in off the back of our worst performance of the season three days earlier, we the better chances to win the game and ultimately progressed.
Brighton 0-1 last season, very even game, we created good chances first half and didn't take them. Only lost due to a ridiculous handball in about 4th month of the game.
Brighton 1-3 game, yep shocker.
Brentford 2-1, 1-0 down due to goalkeeping error, far the better team in the main and should have scored long before we did equalise and ultimately get the winner.
Brentford 1-1, really poor performance. Mentality was more concerning than coaching at the time from watching them, we looked like we expected to get beat and shrunk even more with the defensive injuries.
Brighton 2-0, let them come at us to hit them on the break, clear practice in terms of gameplan for the Cup Final, should have scored in the first half and scored twice in the second, no issue with that.

It's clear that Brentford go for physicality and the very high press against us, which works particularly well when we don't have our better players in deep areas and Brighton are a possession heavy team who you can control if you have the right players on the pitch. I'd say he was bettered 3 times in those 7 games, he came out on top 3 times and one was pretty even. It's not a great record obviously but doesn't clearly constitute being "outcoached at every turn against both".

I am definitely ETH out because of his disastrous football. But the way the club handle this situation is shameful. After all these rumours, the club should come out to make a statement either sack him or back him.

You can't go looking for managers while the current manager is still here and left in limbo. This is really showing disrespect to ETH.

If Ineos can't find a replacement and go back to ETH, the players will not respect him and he will have another hard season next year. The players know that ETH is walking on thin ice already going into next season.

This is really poor start from Ineos. This is the most important appointment for the club.

This is a mess
Interviewing other managers while Ten Hag is incharge is not the way. Players know now the only reason he’s here is cause no one is available, how is Ten Hag going to have any authority now?

INEOS looking like Glazers atm

ETH and his team will take us to the cleaners during the contract negotiations if this long interview process comes up with zilch and we have to continue with him. No way he stays here without a contract extension after all this. The players will undermine him if they know he is a dead man walking.

This is a mess
Interviewing other managers while Ten Hag is incharge is not the way. Players know now the only reason he’s here is cause no one is available, how is Ten Hag going to have any authority now?

INEOS looking like Glazers atm

Yeah definitely would be staying by default which looks an absolute nightmare situation

Status
Not open for further replies.