Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worth mentioning that the Times updated their article on the Tuchel meeting. Now reporting he felt he would not be offered the gig after meeting Ratcliffe before then deciding to take the summer off.

I think it is clear Ratcliffe wants a new man in charge but there is nothing interesting out there. I think Ten Hag will stay and the hierarchy can reassess throughout the season.

Yeah ridiculous he left the meeting feeling he was not going to offered the job, well why did you bother meeting him Ratcliffe if had no intention

Ok, so what's going on? This is the exact same report as after McKenna. So either we had no intention of replacing Ten Hag and were just feeling out potential candidates or they have their eyes firmly set on one candidate. Southgate? Poch?

Huge mistake giving him that feeling and not finding common ground either, could have seen us through the next couple of seasons but not to be unfortunately. I am definitely outta here if they think relegation gate is the answer

So you didn't. Read the article.
We did not "fail" in a pursuit of Tuchel. We stepped up talks, which cemented our concerns we had from the deeper round in finding he wasn't adaptable, and dropped him.

It's also well reported from the times that Tuchel left feeling he wasn't going to be a leading candidate for the role.

Why is Ratcliffe having face to face meetings with managerial candidates? I thought we were leaving this shit up to the experts?

you know it's possible to meet someone about a job, figure out you're not aligned on some key things and decide you don't want to hire them

that seems more plausible than booking the meeting knowing you won't hire him

If he does stay in post then he has no chance in the media going forward anyway, all his press conferences in preseason will be a nightmare.

He has been totally hung out to dry by the higher ups.

Are they being forced to replace ETH? The way they are scrambling to find the right coach while keeping ETH in the dark looks like incompetence. And it’s going to look even worse if they settle for ETH in the end

Also having talks with managers of wildly different play styles is strange to me. Compare this to how Chelsea or Liverpool did theirs, it’s easy to understand the direction they were going with.

Yeah that absolutely reeks of a scattergun approach and total incompetence, no wonder people were worried after seeing how he run NICE

So you didn't. Read the article.
We did not "fail" in a pursuit of Tuchel. We stepped up talks, which cemented our concerns we had from the deeper round in finding he wasn't adaptable, and dropped him.

It's also well reported from the times that Tuchel left feeling he wasn't going to be a leading candidate for the role.
Read it how you want. I suppose it depends on the end outcome. If it was him or Ten Hag clearly we made a move for the former and it ended without a positive outcome. Both parties will want to save face and say it was them who ended it.

Unless there is a real first choice which emerges this week.

Agree with this sentiment.

I think the club were so determined to avoid the perception of undermining the manager by sacking him in the week following the cup final, they didn't consider the alternative is likely worse. We're now in a weird purgatory where it doesn't look like we know what we're doing no matter what happens.

The briefs have been about making a 'considered' decision but it looks more like indecisiveness to me. Even the managers we're being linked with don't appear to meet similar criteria. If we're making a meal of a relatively straightforward decision like this one, I dread to think what player recruitment will look like for the rest of the summer.

He can't continue after being so publicly undermined. Impossible to keep the belief of the players after this

I think the club were so determined to avoid the perception of undermining the manager by sacking him in the week following the cup final, they didn't consider the alternative is likely worse. We're now in a weird purgatory where it doesn't look like we know what we're doing no matter what happens.

The briefs have been about making a 'considered' decision but it looks more like indecisiveness to me. Even the managers we're being linked with don't appear to meet similar criteria. If we're making a meal of a relatively straightforward decision like this one, I dread to think what player recruitment will look like for the rest of the summer.

a few days or one week would've been absolutely fine though

it wasn't a choice between right away or weeks

Didn't someone post that their dad was playing golf with McClaren's dad and he said the club had asked Ten Hag to resign. The club is acting like they want Ten Hag to resign.

Didn't someone post that their dad was playing golf with McClaren's dad and he said the club had asked Ten Hag to resign. The club is acting like they want Ten Hag to resign.

That was never going to happen. If there's one thing managers love is their compensation.

Before the FA cup final the word was that he was being sacked after the final. Dead man walking. Now it’s been two weeks of «ongoing reviews» where the claim is that we’re in talk with a bunch of other managers, to the point of Ratcliffe personally being involved in talks, and that the results of the reviews are soon to be in.

Piss easy being a journalist, it would seem.

Not sure why people actually bother reading the articles.

Exactly.

They know that they can make up whatever they like, and a good portion of the fan base will swallow it whole as fact.

a few days or one week would've been absolutely fine though

it wasn't a choice between right away or weeks
I agree. I think they were wrong not to make their decision in the week following the cup final.

Fair enough if you don't want to make your decision on the day of the cup final or even the next day. I didn't like the way things played out with Louis van Gaal when he was replaced. There was more than enough time to assess whether or not they wanted to stick with Ten Hag during the season, and the result of the FA Cup final shouldn't have impacted that decision.

Well it's obviously very unlikely but the club openly meeting with an other manager is certainly one way to push it.

if you know you're about to get sacked anyway why would you resign and give up compensation, exactly?

Yeah ridiculous he left the meeting feeling he was not going to offered the job, well why did you bother meeting him Ratcliffe if had no intention
I have 2 pts.
1) we don’t know if this is true or not (I’m not sure why Ratcliffe would be meeting Tuchel? You don’t get a dog and then bark yourself. Surely it would be Blanc, Brailsford, Wilcox etc and not SJR himself?)
2) If they did meet, it may well have been with the intention to offer him a position but over the course of discussion it became clear there wasn’t common ground. Doesn’t mean there was any malice involved - not everything is black and white and I personally get the feeling that all of these meetings and reviews are all very deliberate and exploratory- but nothing is yet set in stone. It’s just due diligence.

I think that this is so wrong. You can't be acting like this with your current manager. Have some respect and show some class.

It's like having your wife at home that has given birth to two kids of yours, and you are going around, interviewing potential better candidates, and if in case you don't find them as upgrade to what you currently have, you can go back to wife number 1 like nothinghappened, while she was made aware that you were actively looking to replace her.

This should've been done and to me, the way the club is currently acting is classless, whether you like to keep him or not, this is not the way to go about things. Players agents are also taking notes with how the new club structure is acting.

I want ETH out, but this is an absolutely despicable way to treat the manager of the football club.

Let’s hope that this isn’t a glimpse into how Ineos will run every aspect of the club.

Why did a golf club ask ten Hag to resign? And seriously - who has a talking golf club? Just imagine the howl everytime you smack the ball up the fairway.

Read it how you want. I suppose it depends on the end outcome. If it was him or Ten Hag clearly we made a move for the former and it ended without a positive outcome. Both parties will want to save face and say it was them who ended it.

Unless there is a real first choice which emerges this week.
We didn't make a move for Tuchel. We talked with him and decided against making a move. The articles are pretty clear in that.

Another public example was when the medical staff said Casemiro was fit, he got a second opinion in Brazil and it was discovered he was carrying a hamstring injury.

Are these the only two occasions (Shaw and Casemiro) that have been reported or were there others?

Are these the only two occasions (Shaw and Casemiro) that have been reported or were there others?

Martinez injury from the start of the season was a broken bone that wasn't healed properly from the previous injury, it wasn't placed properly. So, not sure if you can put that in the medical department or the surgeon that operated on him, but it can be seen as another injury feck up.

This really isn't the reassuring start to the summer I was hoping for.

Even if they come out now and announce they're sticking with Ten Hag it doesn't look strong, not after this period of uncertainty. It just seems messy.

I want ETH out, but this is an absolutely despicable way to treat the manager of the football club.

Let’s hope that this isn’t a glimpse into how Ineos will run every aspect of the club.
They're not off to a good start are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.