Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not questioning the reliability, I'm questioning that most of the backers' saying their decision was not based on the FA cup win; maybe a small portion or 20-25% of them but not majority; when the same poll had pretty much the opposite results a couple of weeks ago.

I think there’s a big collection of match going fans who support Ten Hag for taking a hard line and getting rid of underperforming malcontent like Ronaldo and Sancho.

That happened in 1745, how on earth is it relevant? Use better arguments if you want him to stay, it's weak as piss to reference the ye olde Fergie times to back him.
Ok so after two seasons, one wrecked by injuries he still won two cups.
He has one year left on his contract, I will find it shocking if we don’t give him a third season with hopefully a new board in place and more hopefully an injury free season.
There is simply nothing to be gained by sacking Erik now and starting all over again with the new manager wanting this and that.
Oh and when we won the Cup in 91 against Palace we were also struggling in the league.
Learn from history, ETH was hired because of what he achieved at Ajax, he hasn’t become a bad coach since arriving here, the cup win against City proves that.

I think there’s a big collection of match going fans who support Ten Hag for taking a hard line and getting rid of underperforming malcontent like Ronaldo and Sancho.
Yeah, I get that as well. For example, the poll in this thread moved from 70%+ for sack to now <50%. If you ask those 20% that changed their mind, a lot of them will also claim it was not based just on the FA cup win even when the evidence suggests it was. I'm saying the same about those backers. If I had changed my mind, I'd also try to justify that change in mind was not based just on that game.

So it's now official that majority of RedCafe want Ten Hag to stay, fickle bastards !

Realistically it would be a much greater majority too if the poll had been reset at the end of the season as it should have been

Hands up all this anti Ten Hag talk yet with all the crap he has had to deal with he has taken us to Wembley three times and won twice.
Remind me, how did Fergie do in his first two seasons, three season even?
React in haste, repent at leisure.

He took a relegation team to midtable during his six months, he then took that team to 2nd place. Now it's true that the third year saw a decline back to midtable.

The way we play doesn’t inspire confidence. We’ve had considerably more poor games than we’ve had good ones, in my opinion.

It's not just your opinion. Sadly, it's a fact. We're one of the worst coached sides in the league. Saturday's win should not paper over that.

So it's now official that majority of RedCafe want Ten Hag to stay, fickle bastards !

Realistically it would be a much greater majority too if the poll had been reset at the end of the season as it should have been

I think many were just waiting for the FA Cup final to make up their minds.

What does a balanced discussion look like? There are more negatives than there are positives. One side wants to keep Ten Hag due to the positive of winning a league cup and FA cup. The other side wants to get rid of Ten Hag because the goal is to win the League and or CL, which requires sustainable winning football. There is more evidence for the latter than the former. So if anything, people wanting Ten Hag out is balanced discussion.

What do you want people to do? To change their minds because now Ten Hag in has 1 single piece of evidence from this season? Because before this, I couldn't name one positive about this season and when I've asked people who backed Ten Hag, their only answer was that Ten Hag switched to a new style of play. The switch itself was a "positive", not the performances or benefits it has brought United. They couldn't name actual positives of this season prior to the trophy. Everything was just deflection, until the trophy.
There’s no point trying to have a balanced discussion with you, you’ve made that clear.

I think we will keep, but I would like them to sit down with him and discuss the tactics he played up until the last 2 weeks of the season.

We all saw how open the team was, the gaps in the middle. The back four exposed, that cut back goal that plagued us for the entire season. Conceding an average of 20 shots per game. Losing leads to Chelsea, Brentford, Copenhagen, Galatasaray, Wolves and Coventry.

If it is not working on the pitch, I want to see a manager who can make changes during the game. A manager who has a defined game plan home and away. And a plan B, C, D etc... That is what the best managers can do. They can change formation at half-time and during the game. They can see a game out when 2 nil up.

And we need to sign players who have the right attitude, are injury free and comfortable on the ball.

This is the main issue for me. I don't really care if it's Ten Hag or someone else who fixes it but we've had major issues in tactics this season not just personnel. It needs to change immediately.

I'm only in favour of a different manager as I don't think Ten Hag knows how to fix the issues or he already would have. Those assuming it's just players are being very naive, we'll improve with better players for sure but a top manager shouldn't struggle tactically with the quality we have.

Until I see us consistently perform my assumption is he's a manager that needs the absolute best team in the league to win anything. That's not what we need.

I think we will keep, but I would like them to sit down with him and discuss the tactics he played up until the last 2 weeks of the season.

We all saw how open the team was, the gaps in the middle. The back four exposed, that cut back goal that plagued us for the entire season. Conceding an average of 20 shots per game. Losing leads to Chelsea, Brentford, Copenhagen, Galatasaray, Wolves and Coventry.

If it is not working on the pitch, I want to see a manager who can make changes during the game. A manager who has a defined game plan home and away. And a plan B, C, D etc... That is what the best managers can do. They can change formation at half-time and during the game. They can see a game out when 2 nil up.

And we need to sign players who have the right attitude, are injury free and comfortable on the ball.
I’m still waiting to hear someone fully explain why we were playing with such lack of defensive structure in the midfield.

Obviously the attackers were sent out to press, the defense to push up not too high and the midfielders will have had clearly defined roles as well.

Certainly the goal wasn’t to leave us too open and have no pressure on the opponent’s ball carrier if they played through the press.

Watch Ajax under Ten Hag and you see how the midfield is supposed to
perform in transition. It was not an issue.

Second: why could we not be compact and hard to beat when we were in a winning position (3-0 up even)? We can do it, even with a decimated squad as we have seen against Pool away.

Third: there were a number of games where the players did not put in the right effort. Ten Hag and the rest of the staff pulled out all the stops to motivate the players for the FA cup final. You can’t do that before every game.

Fourth: as you mentioned some of our players aren’t strong enough to play modern football. Having the right professional attitude is part of that; you have to do all the right things to stay strong and healthy.

There is a lot of things to be sorted out.

If the options are Kompany, Flick, Maresca or Slot we are better off waiting!!

I am surprised that the teams which finished much higher (In case of Chelsea, higher) on the table have made moves while the club that finished 8th with a negative GD is still pondering what to do. I guess that'll explain why we haven't won a title in XI years.

Learn from history, ETH was hired because of what he achieved at Ajax, he hasn’t become a bad coach since arriving here, the cup win against City proves that.

Yes, I agree with this, Fergie had to adjust from Scottish football to the EFD and so will ETH to the EPL

I have not agreed with all ETH's decisions, especially line ups and timing of subs, but for most of the season his best defenders were unavailable either throughout, or for significant periods and I suspect some of his choices were about 'going where he was pushed'. Plus, some drastic loss of form from his previous top scorer, problems off the field with Sancho and the ongoing problem with Greenwoods future; and the arrival of Sir Jim and his entourage (not all yet assembled) all added to the mix.

He deserves a chance to see out his contract at least.

Yes, I agree with this, Fergie had to adjust from Scottish football to the EFD and so will ETH to the EPL

I have not agreed with all ETH's decisions, especially line ups and timing of subs, but for most of the season his best defenders were unavailable either throughout, or for significant periods and I suspect some of his choices were about 'going where he was pushed'. Plus, some drastic loss of form from his previous top scorer, problems off the field with Sancho and the ongoing problem with Greenwoods future; and the arrival of Sir Jim and his entourage (not all yet assembled) all added to the mix.

He deserves a chance to see out his contract at least.

By this logic we shouldn’t have sacked Moyes.

He was not backed at all in the transfer market.

He had a new CEO above him that didn’t have a clue how to run a football team and no structure whatsoever to assist him.

He was left completely on his own to manage every single area of the footballing side of things.

We were appalling that season and he deserved to be sacked.

We’ve been appalling this season and ETH deserves to be sacked as well.

I think many were just waiting for the FA Cup final to make up their minds.

I'm not sure that's the case for all of them. There was a poll at one stage a few weeks ago which was "sack now" or "give him the FA Cup final", or something to that effect. A large number were commenting saying that he should get the FA Cup final and then be sacked. They're just kneejerking now after he's actually won it, even though they wanted him to go out on a high initially. Nothing we've not seen before, and it's been proven to not work out as people would hope when they make these kneejerk decisions, such as with Ole.

Well if it rules out Tuchel then may as well stick because feel he is above Pochettino & De Zerbi

I agree but there's a damage goods vibe about ETH that makes marketing next season feel like an uphill slog. Being able to pretend we are amazing kind of matters when there are better things to do on a Sunday fternoon.

By this logic we shouldn’t have sacked Moyes

Sorry, no comparison.
Moyes, (no proper succession planning) should never have been appointed, he had no silverware success on his CV, which for someone to follow SAF you would think would be a basic requirement; however more importantly he had been given a contract twice the length of ETH's, i.e. six years, not three, even back then it was a crazy figure to award to anyone (even a manager seeming to get blood out of a stone at Everton) let alone a manager who had won nothing in scope and frequency that would be expected to figure in United's future success.

This last season was the worst in the clubs PL history but not the worst ever, (73-74) relegation; -10 goal difference, final position 21st out of 22, total 38 pts.... but even after relegation we kept the same manager.
The reason being he had shown enough in his handling of the worsting situation towards the end of that season, that the club kept faith with him.

And what? None of those managers that you listed are even options, so I don't know what point you're trying to make.
Maybe don’t butt in on a reply to someone else then? None of the managers you mentioned are options, but yes if they were we should probably act fast. Your intervention made no sense :wenger:
You’re just looking for an argument and I’m not here for it.
@Insanity was saying how awful United are (paraphrasing)because we haven’t knee jerked a decision on the manager, and holding up the clubs mentioned as great examples. Mighty clubs like Bayern, Barca, Chelsea and Liverpool. He neglected to mention Bayern were rejected several times and have appointed relegated Burnley’s manager because they are a mess behind the scenes, Barca have flip flopped xavi or no xavi, Chelsea are a shitshow and even the scousers couldn’t get their first few choices, thus implying we should be changing the manager just for the sake of it when in reality the manager market isn’t great right now. There is a quantity of managers available, there isn’t much quality.

I am surprised that the teams which finished much higher (In case of Chelsea, higher) on the table have made moves while the club that finished 8th with a negative GD is still pondering what to do. I guess that'll explain why we haven't won a title in XI years.
Chelsea had a terrible season and just as they looked like they had got it together they sack the manager. Great plan.
Liverpool have appointed a new manager because Klopp has left, otherwise he would still be manager. Neither club has done anything amazingly proactive or positive to advance the club.

Certainly the goal wasn’t to leave us too open and have no pressure on the opponent’s ball carrier if they played through the press.

Watch Ajax under Ten Hag and you see how the midfield is supposed to
perform in transition. It was not an issue.

It’s not true this wasn’t an issue at Ajax.

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/...ve-years-ago-man-utd-manager-has-not-changed/

https://x.com/eriktenshelby/status/1775194027140272419?s=46&t=rCzfqHU34OjempvauqIwHw

when in reality the manager market isn’t great right now. There is a quantity of managers available, there isn’t much quality.

In all seriousness: is the managerial "market" ever that great?

Available managers are usually 'freshly sacked' managers, which is a point against them.

Available managers are usually 'freshly sacked' managers, which is a point against them.
It's better when there's an up and coming manager to get everyone excited I guess. Mckenna was the closest thing but he's not quite there yet.

Not always. We wanted ETH so negotiated with Ajax for his release for example. All the top managers (and there aren’t many) are already at top clubs so a project at United could be a tough sell, especially if they are successful.

I agree it’s odd however, that being sacked is usually an indicator of doing a poor job and might preclude mere mortals from getting a decent job, yet football managers fall into jobs regularly even with more than one failure on their CV.

United

- club sale or part sale making a lot of things up in the air
- New owner claims United managers have not had the right support to meet their goals
- wants to change structure and system of how things are done
- says they want to have certain professionals in certain positions to help make informed choices and choose the right targets , including manaher

Some fans “why haven’t they done what every other club has done?”.

I think some of you are so disconnected from what’s going on sometimes. Could SJR of acted quicker or made a call ? Yep. But how can anybody not understand that the reason why he may be taking his time is because he is undertaking a far bigger task that other clubs aren’t concerned with.

Changing managers for other clubs is being done by owners/clubs that have at least been doing their thing for awhile. Even clownshop Chelsea have been doing what they’ve been doing.

The fact that INEOs haven’t made a decision yet tells us nothing either way. People need to relax, a decision will be made soon enough.

Maybe don’t butt in on a reply to someone else then? None of the managers you mentioned are options, but yes if they were we should probably act fast. Your intervention made no sense :wenger:
You’re just looking for an argument and I’m not here for it.
@Insanity was saying how awful United are (paraphrasing)because we haven’t knee jerked a decision on the manager, and holding up the clubs mentioned as great examples. Mighty clubs like Bayern, Barca, Chelsea and Liverpool. He neglected to mention Bayern were rejected several times and have appointed relegated Burnley’s manager because they are a mess behind the scenes, Barca have flip flopped xavi or no xavi, Chelsea are a shitshow and even the scousers couldn’t get their first few choices, thus implying we should be changing the manager just for the sake of it when in reality the manager market isn’t great right now. There is a quantity of managers available, there isn’t much quality.

I was making a point that those I mentioned, even though technically available to different extents, were actually more realistic than the names you were giving as they had just been employed elsewhere. Literally none of them have been reported as targets, so your post was just fecking stupid.

The rest of what you have said doesn't matter to us either, because the managers we are apparently interested in haven't gone to any of those teams. Some have even appointed managers than are arguably worse than what we could choose from right now. So again, a pointless discussion.

And for what it's worth, there would be absolutely nothing knee jerk about getting a new manager. All the main ETH supporters on here were all accepting of the fact that ETH should/will go not long ago, because deep down they knew it was going to happen due to results and performances. At any other club he doesn't survive this season. Pre-INEOS he probably would have gone too. There wouldn't have been this outrage if he'd have been sacked at any point before the final, yet after the final it's suddenly crazy to sack him. That is the only kneejerk opinion in all of this.

And given that INEOS have had months to prepare for the likely even that he needed to go, it wouldn't have been called kneejerk had they have lined up another option and sacked him. So what exactly is kneejerk about the idea he should have been sacked?

What was Erik Ten Hags peak?
Ajax's triumphant run to the Champions League semi-final.
And who knocked him out that year?
Poch with Spurs.

According to Ajax fans on here, his last season at Ajax the football wasn't good. So Ten Hag has had his team playing well for about 3 or 4 months out of the last 3 years :lol:

But he scraped through some non league opposition in the FA Cup, hit peak Oleball in the final to win it, and now he's the man to take us forward. OK then.

Piece on the motivational stuff done by Ten Hag pre Saturday. Yes, there were dreadful days during the season past. The team turned up on other days, such as beating Liverpool (and holding them twice)

Not always. We wanted ETH so negotiated with Ajax for his release for example. All the top managers (and there aren’t many) are already at top clubs so a project at United could be a tough sell, especially if they are successful.

Right but that's a different, more nebulous sense of 'availability.'

For example Villa were in relegation form but were able to sign Emery, who was fresh off a CL semifinal with Villareal, in mid-season. So availability can be hard to gauge.

According to Ajax fans on here, his last season at Ajax the football wasn't good. So Ten Hag has had his team playing well for about 3 or 4 months out of the last 3 years :lol:

But he scraped through some non league opposition in the FA Cup, hit peak Oleball in the final to win it, and now he's the man to take us forward. OK then.

So much hate against our manager despite bringing silverware back to our club in the last 2 seasons despite being trophyless in the preceding 5 years.

I've said it several times on this forum.

This forum is full of posters who are not Man Utd fans. It's the only logical explanation for posts like this.

I actually voted in the athletic poll and it wasn’t based on the fa cup win. There’s no outstanding candidates to replace him for my money and even if there was Ten Hag was a proven winner before he came he and has won two cups here.

To say it’s this is the only reason that some want to keep him though is not true. We all as fans want to win league and champions league but are thankful for any success at the same time.

Honestly I think he has had to work under ridiculous circumstances and still inter grated youth players, got rid of some deadwood and tried to implement a suitable playing style. I’d like to see what he can achieve in a focused environment. He overachieved in season 1 and was fighting the world in season 2. Season 3 is normally where the real progress should be seen.

The team turned up on other days, such as beating Liverpool (and holding them twice)

The team turned up in extra time, we were as poor as usual in normal time. We've benefitted hugely from Liverpool being unable to finish their dinners this season. Can say the same for Villa and several other teams as well.

We've had 3 genuinely good performances this season where we convincingly won from start to finish, and one of them was the final.

The amount this poll has shifted following the cup final is just laughable. We played well in a one off game in a similar fashion to our good performances under ole against city

This doesn't negate the crap we have seen all season

The amount this poll has shifted following the cup final is just laughable. We played well in a one off game in a similar fashion to our good performances under ole against city

This doesn't negate the crap we have seen all season
Hell probably get sacked anyway, so the sentiment of fans shouldn't really bother you.

Oh haha. In 21/22 Ajax won the league with 3 losses and a +79 gd. In the CL group stage they won all six games convincingly.

That is hardly indicative of a poor season. Honestly, the bs in here…

Status
Not open for further replies.