Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's becoming/become our version of Benitez.
Yea, an inferior version? Benitez won them a CL. Our standards have certainly dipped so low. Although I also get that many are not convinced by other manager options in the market - that is the job of our owners to get right

I wouldn’t, top three fighting for the league. If not in the top four by Christmas then it's bye bye.

We are 5/4 players off that I feel.

Well I reckon that's what most fans were hoping/expecting for by year 3 when Ten Hag was hired 2 years ago, I know that's what I was hoping for. But we were absolutely awful this season, the way we were setup and getting outplayed and dominated by most teams we played. So bad that if Ten Hag stays I just don't see how we challenge for the title next season. We certainly won't playing the same style of football, we'd do well just getting top 4 playing that way.

To be honest I'd agree with you I don't think I'd be 'happy' with coming 4th in year 3, I definitely wouldn't have been if you'd asked me a year ago. But if we keep Ten Hag and after this clusterfeck of a season I just don't have much faith we could do much else.

I wouldn’t, top three fighting for the league. If not in the top four by Christmas then it's bye bye.

We are 5/4 players off that I feel.

Agreed.

I feel the only way we have of challenging for the title is by keeping Ten Hag, yes there are risks because this season has been a disaster in the league.

Hiring a new manager gives everyone excuses what Ten Hag also got in his first year, not his squad, not his style, give him time.. So sacking Ten Hag means writing of a season.

I know its a big risk in keeping Ten Hag but we should give him the chance to challenge otherwise we are just going to go around in circles, 2 years sack, rebuild, 2 years, sack, rebuild.

I guess for me the biggest point for sticking with Ten Hag is that the players haven't downed the tools yet and seem to be quite fond of him.

Agreed.

I feel the only way we have of challenging for the title is by keeping Ten Hag, yes there are risks because this season has been a disaster in the league.

Hiring a new manager gives everyone excuses what Ten Hag also got in his first year, not his squad, not his style, give him time.. So sacking Ten Hag means writing of a season.

I know its a big risk in keeping Ten Hag but we should give him the chance to challenge otherwise we are just going to go around in circles, 2 years sack, rebuild, 2 years, sack, rebuild.

With a new footballing structure in place arguably it will be like starting from square one for Ten Hag anyway. Ineos have said they'll be deciding the style of play, they'll be deciding the transfers in and out. etc.

With a new footballing structure in place arguably it will be like starting from square one for Ten Hag anyway. Ineos have said they'll be deciding the style of play, they'll be deciding the transfers in and out. etc.

The problem lies here though. Although I can see the logic and rationale for Ten Hag to get sacked, posters are contradicting themselves on here.

When I say why isnt the plans / review carried out during the season, I get told the structure is not in place what do you expect, the same people say Ten Hag should go... So we cant do review but we can sack the manager... make it make sense.

My issue if I listen to posters and wait till the structure is in place, we will be mid july, then sack the man, and hire someone new 2 weeks will take us to end of July.

So people are condoning having a pre season with no manager? No signings? Make it make sense.

So, do we think we'll hear anything this week?
Next week I think. I think they’ll be doing the review this whole week. Also putting a week between them and the FA cup win lessens the blow if they have already sacked him in their heads.

I don't think so, as the manager and staff are the central figures tieing this altogether.
One and a half seasons before SJR took over.

So on the football side is not square because he knows the players as for Ineos or wilcox deciding how we play should be a huge red flag to all utd supporters.

What has Wilcox won? Does he even have one coaching badge? Frankly I don't buy it and I don't think we'll be talking about Eth being sacked - I think we'll be talking about him walking.

It really is over to Ineos to get the players and shift players, they'll need to be quick on both because once the euros start it'll be harder.

I think he'll stay, I genuinely don't see who we can get that will be an upgrade. Plus if the rumours are that we will be looking to on bringing through more youth, then I trust the guy whose bright in Manoo, Garnacho started getting Diallo and Kwambala playing.

I think he'll stay, I genuinely don't see who we can get that will be an upgrade. Plus if the rumours are that we will be looking to on bringing through more youth, then I trust the guy whose bright in Manoo, Garnacho started getting Diallo and Kwambala playing.

And fans want Tuchel, who has no real history of giving youngsters a chance. It makes no sense for us to go for a Tuchel when INEOS are saying they want to build from youth.

If that is the case, then they will be no different to the Glazers really.

What are you suggesting here ?
That we should give managers even less time than we have ?

Nobody post Saf has had 3 seasons .

The top 3 teams in the league all have managers that have been there longer than 3 years .

I know what you are going to say , you can't compare ETH to klopp or pep or something along those lines . You might get away with that if it wasn't for Arteta being one of the 3 .

Don't tell me , I know , you could always tell that Arteta was special .
Those three managers weren't successful because they were given time. They were given time because they were successful (or at least showing signs of it in Arteta's case). If INEOS think that ETH is showing signs of being successful behind the scenes, that is the only way we should even be thinking of keeping him. If he isn't showing signs of building something good behind the scenes, then he shouldn't be kept because he certainly isn't showing it on the field.

Fulltime managers since 2013:

Man Utd: 5 managers
Bayern Munich: 7 managers (going to be 8 next season)
Real Madrid: 7 managers (two of them having two periods in charge, so 5 different people but 7 managerial changes)
Barcelona: 6 managers (going to be 7 next season)
Chelsea: 8 managers (going to be 9 next season)
Inter Milan: 7 managers
AC Milan: 8 managers
Dortmund: 7 managers

It's basically just City, Liverpool, Atletico (all of whom had the best manager they possibly could get), Juventus (who probably couldn't get better than Allegri either) and Arsenal (who still had Wenger for five of those years) who have kept managers longer than we have.

So this idea that we're trigger happy with managers really couldn't be further from the truth. Other than maybe Arsenal, we've given managers more time to prove themselves than any other top club in the world would.

I think we will keep, but I would like them to sit down with him and discuss the tactics he played up until the last 2 weeks of the season.

We all saw how open the team was, the gaps in the middle. The back four exposed, that cut back goal that plagued us for the entire season. Conceding an average of 20 shots per game. Losing leads to Chelsea, Brentford, Copenhagen, Galatasaray, Wolves and Coventry.

If it is not working on the pitch, I want to see a manager who can make changes during the game. A manager who has a defined game plan home and away. And a plan B, C, D etc... That is what the best managers can do. They can change formation at half-time and during the game. They can see a game out when 2 nil up.

And we need to sign players who have the right attitude, are injury free and comfortable on the ball.

It’s Pochettino isn’t it and that’s why we are being delayed. I think Thomas Frank and Tuchel were front runners with a hope Pochettino might be available after his end of season with Chelsea.

David Ornstein is very credible and he pretty much said we were monitoring the Pochettino situation. He’s the perfect middle guy to the next manager and he actually plays good football as we have witnessed with Spurs and Chelsea.

The discredit he gets on here is probably because a lot of us favoured ETH last time it seemed neck and neck. Pochettino is clearly the better manager, however I believe they will probably want him to regig his backroom staff and it may help him on the coaching side. He’s carried the same guys with him for a while now.

I think we will keep, but I would like them to sit down with him and discuss the tactics he played up until the last 2 weeks of the season.

We all saw how open the team was, the gaps in the middle. The back four exposed, that cut back goal that plagued us for the entire season. Conceding an average of 20 shots per game. Losing leads to Chelsea, Brentford, Copenhagen, Galatasaray, Wolves and Coventry.

If it is not working on the pitch, I want to see a manager who can make changes during the game. A manager who has a defined game plan home and away. And a plan B, C, D etc... That is what the best managers can do. They can change formation at half-time and during the game. They can see a game out when 2 nil up.

And we need to sign players who have the right attitude, are injury free and comfortable on the ball.

Probably already been done. It can't be a coincidence the tactics some what changed with Murtough out and Wilcox in. I have no doubt Murtough probably had some influence in the style of play this season and was part of the "we" in the "how we want to play" interview at the start of this season.

I also think he is 100% staying. It feels a bit late now to be sacking him.

They need to make a decision soon, uncertainty over the manager and who it will be will be part of the appeal to players signing for us.

If we've not got clarity on this situation by the first part of next week, it's a bit of a bad look. Not really doing anyone any favours at this point to still be dragging it out.

Hands up all this anti Ten Hag talk yet with all the crap he has had to deal with he has taken us to Wembley three times and won twice.
Remind me, how did Fergie do in his first two seasons, three season even?
React in haste, repent at leisure.

He's becoming/become our version of Benitez.

If you want a facht, Ten Hag actually has a higher win % to Benitez (57.9% vs 54.3%). Benitez was more comparable to Ole or Moyes stint. I don't think you remember how bad Liverpool were compared to even our previous season.

Hands up all this anti Ten Hag talk yet with all the crap he has had to deal with he has taken us to Wembley three times and won twice.
Remind me, how did Fergie do in his first two seasons, three season even?
React in haste, repent at leisure.

That happened in 1745, how on earth is it relevant? Use better arguments if you want him to stay, it's weak as piss to reference the ye olde Fergie times to back him.

Probably already been done. It can't be a coincidence the tactics some what changed with Murtough out and Wilcox in. I have no doubt Murtough probably had some influence in the style of play this season and was part of the "we" in the "how we want to play" interview at the start of this season.

I also think he is 100% staying. It feels a bit late now to be sacking him.

I really can't see Murtough influencing the style of play.

I don't think so, as the manager and staff are the central figures tieing this altogether.
One and a half seasons before SJR took over.

So on the football side is not square because he knows the players as for Ineos or wilcox deciding how we play should be a huge red flag to all utd supporters.

What has Wilcox won? Does he even have one coaching badge? Frankly I don't buy it and I don't think we'll be talking about Eth being sacked - I think we'll be talking about him walking.

It really is over to Ineos to get the players and shift players, they'll need to be quick on both because once the euros start it'll be harder.
Thoughtful post. In here! Like an oasis in the desert.

I seem to recall finishing in the top 4 last season, not 8th.

If we score two goals less next season, let in 10 goals more, and win the league, you'll see how many complaints?

You'll see complaints from the fabric of reality because no club is winning the league with a GD close to 0.

INEOS wasn't around to demand anything, which is the point.

I know that you don't believe what we have seen is the type of football he wants to play. You can't really think it's as simple as "well no one told him to play good football so he didn't".

I know that you don't believe what we have seen is the type of football he wants to play. You can't really think it's as simple as "well no one told him to play good football so he didn't".

You quite obviously have no idea about what I believe. So stick to what I said and nothing else.

It’s paid subscribers, so it’s a bit more reliable than Twitter or redcafe polls.
I'm not questioning the reliability, I'm questioning that most of the backers' saying their decision was not based on the FA cup win; maybe a small portion or 20-25% of them but not majority; when the same poll had pretty much the opposite results a couple of weeks ago.

City have wrapped up the league so top four and a Europa League win be deemed a success?

ETH could deliver that.

I mean he could also develop wings and fly, but I don’t think there’s a lot of evidence at United that he can deliver that, to be honest.

Knocked out of CL at group stage in a group with Galatasaray and Copenhagen. Knocked out of Europa at quarter finals by Sevilla. In the league he’s averaged what? 67 points. You tend to need +70 for top four, no? I’m also thinking Chelsea and Newcastle will be stronger, but who knows.

The way we play doesn’t inspire confidence. We’ve had considerably more poor games than we’ve had good ones, in my opinion.

We can't decide to keep a manager on the basis of an FA cup win. We have to look at what happened throughout the season. Worst premier league campaign ever. Half the squad injured at any one time. Terrible, terrible football. Watching some games, for instance , the 4-0 hammering at palace, it was plain to see We were the worst coached team in the league. Absolutely pathetic performance. Man United should not be losing 4-0 to Crystal Palace, end of! There doesn't seem to be a plan B when things are going wrong. We only saw a change in style in the last 2 games of the PL season. For Me, its just not good enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.