Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving me mad mate.
The same people will be calling for him to be sacked 4 games into the new season.

100% won't be.

More likely they'll be:
"give him 'til Christmas"
"give him the January window"
"May as well let him stay to the end of the season"

I give up. It’s been 3 days, are people really this impatient to see a man lose his job after such a great weekend? Does it have to be right now and not say, a week after the final

The review is just a way to delay making the decision public , they’ve made their decision, we’ll know what that is in due course, I hope for the clubs sake it’s the right one

True, virtually every opponent of City sits back and hopes to nick a counter or get something off a free kick and City virtually always prevail against those opponents. In this case, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, we were not only outplayed but City gifted us the first goal and missed sitters that threw the result our way. City rarely ever makes mistakes like they did against us and I can't think of a single match in the last decade where they played as poorly as they did against us.

Apart from the Mainoo goal, we did not work a brilliant turn of possession into a good chance against City. We had our two chances -- the Garnacho sitter and the Mainoo brilliant striker -- and that was it on the day. I'm not sure what the officially tally of good chances on goal for City but I would say it was 5 or 6, with one of them requiring a fantastic save by Onana and the other was a tame shot but Onana fumbled the easy chance for a save. A win is a win is a win, but the important point is that it was a smash and grab win and in no way a blueprint for the way forward for United. We cannot play this brand of football against the 19 other PL clubs.
This is absolute nonsense to be fair. It wasn’t a smash and grab win. We had a higher xg than city as @Lash pointed out but in general it wasn’t a high chances game for either side. City pointlessly passing the ball in front of us and going nowhere is not an indication of attacking football nor of chances created. A lot of people are starting to cotton on that this in itself is a form of negative football. City did not miss “sitters”, they barely created anything. How do you have so much of the ball and do absolutely nothing with it? I would absolutely hate it if we played as city played on Saturday. False pretend attacking football. There was no risk to anything they did on Saturday. We were the ones taking risk, piling bodies forward when we broke out, mixing both short and long passes. Obviously we will not play this way going forward (in terms of the defensive line and box midfield) but there were clear elements of organisation and how we passed the ball in the final third that we have lacked in all season.
Also you give city too much credit, you can’t think of a match they played this badly in ten years?
Do me a favour. I can pick out several this season alone. Spurs away, Arsenal home and away, Liverpool away, Villa away….

First things first: we won the game and winning is the only objective going into a game of football. There were no dodgy referee calls -- although if this were a City forum I'm sure we'd be hearing a lot more about two pens that weren't given that I believe were correctly not given, yet both were the kind of contact that is given as a pen from time to time -- and no beachballs or anything of the sort. The match was won on the pitch and we won the game. No one argues otherwise.

That said, we controlled the tempo of the game off the ball, not on the ball. We defended deep and hit on counters. The ball from Dalot was Route One stuff and landed on the foot of Garnacho after a colossal mistake by Gvardiol/Ortega for an open net tap in. This cannot be denied. It also cannot be denied that the second goal was a fantastic counterattack beginning with a fantastic long ball by Rashford, an assist for the ages by Bruno and the sweet finish by Mainoo -- there is no debating the brilliance of that goal.

But that was it as far as chances on goal we had. Garnacho has a chance from a tough angle late in the match but he was never beating the keeper from that angle.

City were torturing us with chances, some of which were glorious and others of which were well taken but off the mark -- the Haaland shot off the crossbar. We let them have possession, which is a noble tactic, and we were rewarded with brilliant defending by our backline to smother Haaland and then Doku. But there is no doubt the majority of play was in our half with City's feet on the ball. I think I read a stat of 27% possession which I can't confirm but sounds right to me.

As brilliant as a performance as it was, this is not a sustainable tactic in the PL. We can't go up against West Ham, Wolves et al and expect to compete for the PL trophy playing this kind of football.
Feels like you've changed your tune a bit from your first post, but at least you're giving it a bit more praise. It's no different to how Real set up against them and you're talking about a team who only lost 5 games in the whole season. Most teams wouldn't be able to do what they did to us in the second half to us the way we were playing and that first half they hardly laid a glove on us and were reduced to long range shots.

They missed one big chance and their only goal was a gaffe by our keeper. For all that possession, we still had more big chances in the game and I cant confirm, but I'm pretty sure the possession gap wasn't that wide at all in the first half.

No but at a massive club like we are you expect someone with some sort of CV. We can’t afford to be taking bigger risks on not proven managers at the highest level.
There’s always a risk, and Frank does have a CV - it’s not like he just started as manager. If a manager ticks all boxes (not saying he does necessarily) except for winning trophies because they never managed a big club, I think they should definitely be considered at least.

I dont know how well connected Kaveh is with Ineos people, but listening to his pieces about the review and ETH and Southgate, it's pretty obvious he thinks Southgate would be their lead candidate if this wasn't a summer with an international tournament.

Ineos use fan sentiment as an excuse to keep Ten Hag until Southgate is freed up. It makes a horrible amount of sense from their perspective.

He also says ETH expects a decision communicated to him by Friday.

Feels like you've changed your tune a bit from your first post, but at least you're giving it a bit more praise. It's no different to how Real set up against them and you're talking about a team who only lost 5 games in the whole season. Most teams wouldn't be able to do what they did to us in the second half to us the way we were playing and that first half they hardly laid a glove on us and were reduced to long range shots.

They missed one big chance and their only goal was a gaffe by our keeper. For all that possession, we still had more big chances in the game and I cant confirm, but I'm pretty sure the possession gap wasn't that wide at all in the first half.

Stats showing 75-25 in the first half also.

We really are the most sentimental club support aren’t we ? Going into the cup final the poll was something like 80-20 in favour of ETH going and after one win albeit a cup final we’re basically 50-50 and even worse it appears Ineos are being swayed by the win and our fair weather fanbase, if ETH stays because we’ve been swayed by one result then we deserve everything that happens next season.

We were just as bad this season Martinez, Varane and Shaw were all fit so the injuries excuse doesn’t work for me and we have been consistently awful since the league cup final last season despite spending another £200 million last summer. If Tuchel wants the job after being told his job is head coach and our structure will do the rest then he should be given it on a two year contract which is his lifespan then move on to McKenna, we should thank ETH for the trophies and part on a high.

This is absolute nonsense to be fair. It wasn’t a smash and grab win. We had a higher xg than city as @Lash pointed out but in general it wasn’t a high chances game for either side. City pointlessly passing the ball in front of us and going nowhere is not an indication of attacking football nor of chances created. A lot of people are starting to cotton on that this in itself is a form of negative football. City did not miss “sitters”, they barely created anything. How do you have so much of the ball and do absolutely nothing with it? I would absolutely hate it if we played as city played on Saturday. False pretend attacking football. There was no risk to anything they did on Saturday. We were the ones taking risk, piling bodies forward when we broke out, mixing both short and long passes. Obviously we will not play this way going forward (in terms of the defensive line and box midfield) but there were clear elements of organisation and how we passed the ball in the final third that we have lacked in all season.
Also you give city too much credit, you can’t think of a match they played this badly in ten years?
Do me a favour. I can pick out several this season alone. Spurs away, Arsenal home and away, Liverpool away, Villa away….
This is spot on, of course. Bolded is my feeling too.

After Saturday’s final Pep answered ‘no’ on being asked if United performed better than City. The sub-text to all that was - as he more or less conceded in another interview - that he underperformed. He was outfoxed and his game plan countered.

If Southgate is Ineos’ number one target then I truly have no words.

I think my tune is pretty consistent. We won the game but we did not outplay City. They had the better chances on goal than we did but we uncharacteristically were clinical in the two chances we had (one was a sitter, the other was a fantastic strike) and they uncharacteristically were not clinical in the chances they had on goal (their one goal coming off an Onana error).

I've always held that finishing wins matches, not possession -- and if you would like to check my posts from a year ago I argued that bringing in Onana, a masterful keeper with the ball at his feet, would have no bearing whatsoever on the quality of our possession or finishing (I know it sounds daft to make such an obvious point, but that's what we were dealing with here in June of last year). We won the cup final due to solid finishing on our part (two good chances, two goals) and poor finishing City (five good chances, one goal), but the point of this tangent on this thread is that we cannot possibly hope to replicate these tactics against the bottom 18 other clubs below City and expect to be successful in a 38 game season. ETH knew this and put his foot forward on tactics during those 38 matches and we came up well short of all reasonable expectations, even if you take into account injuries to Martinez and Shaw. The worry many of us have is that ETH has no answer for how to translate his theories of possession/transition football into practice in the PL.

Fair enough. We certainly did a hell of a lot more with that 25% then, we had 3 shots on target and were two up.

Yeah, we executed counter attacking tactics against a vastly superior team perfectly in the first half. Second half was more or less backs-against-the-wall. Result was brilliant, the match in isolation not so in terms of where we want to be style-wise.̀

No one thought ETH had this in his locker though, maybe that explains the massive shift in favor of him (in addition to trophy euphoria).

I think my tune is pretty consistent. We won the game but we did not outplay City. They had the better chances on goal than we did but we uncharacteristically were clinical in the two chances we had (one was a sitter, the other was a fantastic strike) and they uncharacteristically were not clinical in the chances they had on goal (their one goal coming off an Onana error).

I've always held that finishing wins matches, not possession -- and if you would like to check my posts from a year ago I argued that bringing in Onana, a masterful keeper with the ball at his feet, would have no bearing whatsoever on the quality of our possession or finishing (I know it sounds daft to make such an obvious point, but that's what we were dealing with here in June of last year). We won the cup final due to solid finishing on our part (two good chances, two goals) and poor finishing City (five good chances, one goal), but the point of this tangent on this thread is that we cannot possibly hope to replicate these tactics against the bottom 18 other clubs below City and expect to be successful in a 38 game season. ETH knew this and put his foot forward on tactics during those 38 matches and we came up well short of all reasonable expectations, even if you take into account injuries to Martinez and Shaw. The worry many of us have is that ETH has no answer for how to translate his theories of possession/transition football into practice in the PL.
They objectively didn't and you can check the stats.

I don't get why you keep saying we can't replicate it, of course you can. Erik has no answer when he doesn't have the exact team he wants and clearly has issues managing a squad, but the tactics against City are not the issue.

Another day passes and still no announcement either way, I can't believe that they don't already know. I don't think that it's a good idea to drag this out, get in with it so we can all start looking ahead to next season.

We really are the most sentimental club support aren’t we ? Going into the cup final the poll was something like 80-20 in favour of ETH going and after one win albeit a cup final we’re basically 50-50 and even worse it appears Ineos are being swayed by the win and our fair weather fanbase, if ETH stays because we’ve been swayed by one result then we deserve everything that happens next season.

We were just as bad this season Martinez, Varane and Shaw were all fit so the injuries excuse doesn’t work for me and we have been consistently awful since the league cup final last season despite spending another £200 million last summer. If Tuchel wants the job after being told his job is head coach and our structure will do the rest then he should be given it on a two year contract which is his lifespan then move on to McKenna, we should thank ETH for the trophies and part on a high.

It is not about a single football match. It's about continuity for me.

In any case, it is certainly not the case that those who want him out or in know anything more or are more right. No one knows what the future will bring. It's all just guesswork, speculation and personal preference.

It only gets stupid when people write as if one party is naive and stupid, and proclaim that their opinion is the truth.

If he is to stay then all transfer picks for him ends and it’s a system of signings mainly by the club rather than the manager/head coach.

Because we could easily be back to square one first league game of the season and we once again look turd, and whoever has to replace him get players that have been dictated by the new club hierarchy of Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox.

He will be under pressure from the very first game of the new season and not winning the majority of those opening games will spell trouble. As much as I enjoyed that final, I still remember this is the manager who was also in charge when we got trounced 4-0 by Palace a few weeks ago.

In Lash vs Lex, it’s been a tight contest in the third. Lash getting in a painful body shot before the bell…

I dont know how well connected Kaveh is with Ineos people, but listening to his pieces about the review and ETH and Southgate, it's pretty obvious he thinks Southgate would be their lead candidate if this wasn't a summer with an international tournament.

Ineos use fan sentiment as an excuse to keep Ten Hag until Southgate is freed up. It makes a horrible amount of sense from their perspective.

He also says ETH expects a decision communicated to him by Friday.
I refuse to believe that Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox would hire Southgate. Not even Woodward would have been that stupid. I won't believe it, because I don't want to.

If he is to stay then all transfer picks for him ends and it’s a system of signings mainly by the club rather than the manager/head coach.

Because we could easily be back to square one first league game of the season and we once again look turd, and whoever has to replace him get players that have been dictated by the new club hierarchy of Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox.

He will be under pressure from the very first game of the new season and not winning the majority of those opening games will spell trouble. As much as I enjoyed that final, I still remember this is the manager who was also in charge when we got trounced 4-0 by Palace a few weeks ago.
This is the case for whoever comes in and is likely a factor in why maybe they’ve not been able to attract someone (if they indeed wanted to sack ETH). As much as fans want more people involved in recruitment given our history, managers will always want as much power as possible.

If Ineos still haven’t given EtH a clear answer about his future, then that’s a massive disappointment in my view. Stay or go, it’s quite pathetic to leave things hanging like that and disrespectful on so many levels. Towards the manager, the fans, shareholders, staff. It’s exactly behaviour like that which is the rotting we have been seeing since SAF departure.

Exactly how I see it.

Stretford Paddock with a video up about how Eth is better than arteta. One manager now has his team consistently qualifying for the champions league and wasn't too far from making the semi finals to a manager that couldn't get out of a group that had had Copenhagen in it. The copeium is something else.

I refuse to believe that Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox would hire Southgate. Not even Woodward would have been that stupid. I won't believe it, because I don't want to.

I 100% believe it.

Berrada no, but then he's actually a commercial guy. Look at his background and it's all commercial, sponsorships and business development. That'll be his focus as CEO, I think he'll leave football decisions to Wilcox and Ashworth.

Ashworth and Brailsford - definitely Southgate fans. We started holding Ashworth up on a pedestal because we were linked with him but the dude hasnt achieved anything yet as a football director. He was the guy behind "England DNA" while head of elite development, which was fostered during Southgate's tenure with England. I dont doubt he has good relationships and contacts with English clubs and scout networks but that doesnt mean he knows anything about how to build good football teams. Brailsford links in with this nexus as well.

Ashworth will have worked with him at the FA. It’s entirely possible that they will hire Southgate, especially if it is instructed by SJR and SDB.

Stretford Paddock with a video up about how Eth is better than arteta. One manager now has his team consistently qualifying for the champions league and wasn't too far from making the semi finals to a manager that couldn't get out of a group that had had Copenhagen in it. The copeium is something else.

Joe from SP is probably the most deluded guy out there in all of fan media.

Just thinking the club may actually have Southgate as the preferred top choice.

96ba46b599a81e2c6a8ae9106167ff44_w200.gif

If INEOS has decided to keep ETH for another year, there is no reason to keep this secret. This is not what is happening.

If INEOS has decided to sack him, then it makes sense to wait a bit, we just won a cup. And perhaps they also want to announce the new manager at the same time.

If INEOS hasn't decided yet, I'd be worried about INEOS!...

Has anyone actually took the time to read the England DNA he is so famous for?

It literally reads as "play good football"

If INEOS has decided to keep ETH for another year, there is no reason to keep this secret. This is not what is happening.

If INEOS has decided to sack him, then it makes sense to wait a bit, we just won a cup. And perhaps they also want to announce the new manager at the same time.

If INEOS hasn't decided yet, I'd be worried about INEOS!...
Can't argue with any of that.

Has anyone actually took the time to read the England DNA he is so famous for?

It literally reads as "play good football"

Yeah it's more soundbite bollocks, like vibes and structure.

But also look at Ashworth's transfers at Newcastle. I dont know how much he had to do with Isak's signing, that was already in the works when he joined them. Other than that he's signed Botman and Tonali from abroad.

All his other signings were English - Targett, Livramento, Hall, Barnes, Gordon. Brexit FC. The kind of signings that would bankrupt us if we made them with the England+United taxes.

If we do end up hiring Southgate I will completely write off our chances under Ashworth.

This is the case for whoever comes in and is likely a factor in why maybe they’ve not been able to attract someone (if they indeed wanted to sack ETH). As much as fans want more people involved in recruitment given our history, managers will always want as much power as possible.

It's how most clubs operate these days. Doubt it would deter many if anyone.

The way United have been operating where the manager is in charge with no DOF and dictates transfers is a rarity in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.