Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked a simple question mate. Not sure why you feel the need to put words in peoples mouths.

You're saying people have claimed they ''absolute confidence that they (Ten Hag) are definitely going to fail'', all I'm asking is did anyone actually say that?

I've seen a lot of people say they think next season will be a write off or that he'll fail next season, don't know if I've seen anyone say that 100% will happen. Could be wrong.

That’s some low level mental gymnastics, not interested.. Pass…

Agreed. I mean we almost went out to Coventry City. The difference in our players attitude in those two games is night and day. The players turned up against City, one of the very few times they have since the League Cup win. Whether that was due to Ten Hag or simply the players themselves rising to the challenge is the actual debate.

Does an FA Cup win warrant the erasure of 50 odd PL games? It really shouldn't.

I think we all need to take a breath and just savour the thought of 5 months of Ten Hag suicide ball followed by 3 years of admiring Southgate's waistcoat collection. While we play 5 at the back and eventually drop into the bottom half of the table for real.

It's literally Liverpool in the 90s/2000s. Next year will be our year. Long term rebuilds. The only difference is that we're much bigger than Liverpool were at the time, and due to our commercial standing, we've been able to remain financially competitive and have kept our strong fanbase. But how much longer can we sustain that> We can' t afford to keep wasting seasons. If I were a top player playing for United over the last decade, I'd be really upset at the lack of actual ambition and ruthlessness. Playing in Ten Haag's side this season made some our players look way worse than they actually are.
Our commercial success is neither standout, nor is it enough in any way. We already aren't able to throw money to get the players we want, even that period is now over.

Do they recognize things like tactics?
Anyway, I guess the article is another bs piece.
Of course it is. As if McKenna isn't a viable option. If we wanted to appoint him, he'd be here. Also why on earth would he be our first and only option?

Sigh...not my personal preference but those interested...

Ten Hag stays

They want Southgate

I'll quit while ahead If I Were you , so far you have escaped the attention of Mods usually this fake itk shtick is humoured only to an extent , I have seen posters banned for less .

If they are planning on keeping Hag, leaking Southgate as the main choice as successor (though sadly out of reach currently) is a very clever way to unite the fans behind Erik. :lol:

I'll quit while ahead If I Were you , so far you have escaped the attention of Mods usually this fake itk shtick is humoured only to an extent , I have seen posters banned for less .
He was ahead?

I'll wait for an official announcement. But sticking with him pretty much guarantees in my mind that we're going to end up with Southgate in December. Great.

It does seem very possible that the defensive problems this season will repeat. We just have too many injury prone or slow defenders.

A season of being held hostage to crap, failing football under ETH, with the spectre of knowing that however bad it gets, it'll get worse because of their favoured replacement.

And it doesnt matter how unpopular Southgate is, when he gets his foot in it'll be almost impossible to remove him with Brailsford and Ashworth staking their reputations on him succeeding.

A season of being held hostage to crap, failing football under ETH, with the spectre of knowing that however bad it gets, it'll get worse because of their favoured replacement.

And it doesnt matter how unpopular Southgate is, when he gets his foot in it'll be almost impossible to remove him with Brailsford and Ashworth staking their reputations on him succeeding.
Oh you've decided it's Southgate have you? Good stuff.

Our commercial success is neither standout, nor is it enough in any way. We already aren't able to throw money to get the players we want, even that period is now over.

Finishing 8th and failing to qualify for the CL certainly doesn't help with that.

It's not like you need more time to decide his future. I am pretty sure it's already set and decision is to sack Eric, just need the emotions to cool down a bit, something else to take the first page space.
Just after the game 80% of people wanted him to stay, does one game really change people's mind so much? No, it's just the euphoria of winning the cup. He'll be gone soon.

I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m just saying what I think. In my opinion if he’s not sacked by the end of this week then he’s here next year.

I think if we keep him we end up in tbe same position this time next year or even with a Caretaker for the 2nd half of the season.

Sir Jim has always said he wants to take this club back to the top and I cant believe for one second that he looks at what Erik has done over the last couple of seasons and sees a manager thats going to do that.

This is supposed to be a fresh start for our club in a new era with a new stucture in place and I feel we need a new manager and backroom staff as well if we are to move forward although I would maybe keep Steve McLaren in an advisory role as he knows the club inside out.

Seems we are leaving a lot on hope that the right players will make his style successful

I can't argue with that.

when we have seen absolutely no evidence that supports that over the last 2 seasons.

This is overly harsh. We had good spells last year despite multiple problems. We still haven't come close to having a cohesive squad though, and I think he's shown just about enough to warrant having that opportunity. And, given that the style of football he wants to play and type of players he seems to favour would likely fit in with many of the so called modern managers, it makes sense to me to see the job through for once.

If Ineos have no intention of radically changing the squad this year then there's little point keeping ETH. Get a Mourinho in and we'll just muddle our way to whatever wins we can. Honestly, I could live with that. But I doubt Ratcliffe et al are coming here to do that.

Oh you've decided it's Southgate have you? Good stuff.

If we dont sack Ten Hag now I'm almost certain he will be our next manager yeh. Not like he's going to get any offers from any other big club in the mean time.

We have the option of upgrading Hag to Poch or Tuchel now for free (less his comp) and possibly aren't taking it. So we also wont take it if he's sacked mid season.

You can pretend you dont see it coming if you like but it's pretty damn obvious this is the route we'll be going if he's not sacked now.

If the new leadership has really done a 180 based on one cup game and overly emotional and stupid fanbase, then this club will continue to be down the toilet.

You'd think we'd learn the lesson from Ole fiasco, first giving him a permanent job despite a disastrous end to the season. And, then giving him a new 3 year contract making him Top 5 paid manager in the world after losing a European Final with the most cowardly tactics, only to sack him 5 months down the line and set us back even further. Absolutely infuriating this club.

I think there's probably more logic to Southgate next summer or during next season than after the Euros. I do find it crazy if Ineos believe there aren't any capable replacements now but then decide to appoint Southgate further down the line. Regardless, I won't be taking any Southgate links with any sort of seriousness.

So we are just going to waste another season and fall further behind our rivals while throwing more money away, the only people Erik staying is good news for is rival fans.

I somewhat agree and what is the parameter to assess his success next season.

If INEOS (which I disagree with) let Erik manage the last season with his contract still lapsing, by November would anything minimal of being top four allow him to retain his job?

If we dont sack Ten Hag now I'm almost certain he will be our next manager yeh. Not like he's going to get any offers from any other big club in the mean time.

I wouldnt be so sure about him not getting any offers afterall relegating Burnley gets you the Bayern job these days.

We have the option of upgrading Hag to Poch or Tuchel now for free (less his comp) and possibly aren't taking it. So we also wont take it if he's sacked mid season.

You can pretend you dont see it coming if you like but it's pretty damn obvious this is the route we'll be going if he's not sacked now.
Some mental gymnastics here too - so where do Poch and Tuchel go this summer in this scenario?

Fair , will heed your advice.
Wasn't making it up buy guess my guys could have been exaggerating getting excited. I'll keep it to myself from now on. Cheers!

Fair , will heed your advice.
Wasn't making it up buy guess my guys could have been exaggerating getting excited. I'll keep it to myself from now on. Cheers!
I think it's your wording that made it look bad. You seemed certain in conviction.

It's not like you need more time to decide his future. I am pretty sure it's already set and decision is to sack Eric, just need the emotions to cool down a bit, something else to take the first page space.
Just after the game 80% of people wanted him to stay, does one game really change people's mind so much? No, it's just the euphoria of winning the cup. He'll be gone soon.

I don’t think it’s just the euphoria of winning the cup. It’s also the performance. If we won on penalties after a dogged 0-0 I don’t think momentum swings this much in his favor. So many pundits have asked “where has this United been?”. Although, to be fair, many have also pointed out that the game plan was tailored and not a blueprint.

Some mental gymnastics here too - so where do Poch and Tuchel go this summer in this scenario?

Doesnt really matter does it? They've already been passed up by Ineos when free and available (in this scenario). Same with De Zerbi too.

Get the sense Ineos care a lot about paying as little compensation for any hirings and firings as possible.

Bloody hell, this thread is full of people who have developed PTSD from our repeated setbacks this season, and who are rationalizing their fear of being hurt again by brandishing some dubious principle of realism against those they deem to be either hopeless romantics or deluded fools

Things will be alright lads...eventually

Doesnt really matter does it? They've already been passed up by Ineos when free and available (in this scenario).
Of course it matters. Southgate tuchel Poch de Zerbi and Frank are all passed up on if we decide to keep Ten hag.

Now in your hypothetical scenario, we have kept ten hag, and it's gone tits up by Christmas, and we get Southgate.

My question is what has suddenly happened to all the other coaches?

He's had enough of a chance and winning the FA Cup doesn't change that for me.

This season alone there's been...
4 - 0 v Palace
1 - 1 v Burnley
3 (4) - 3 (2) v Coventry - after winning 3 - 0 at half time and not losing in the final minutes by the virtue of VAR.
2 - 2 v Bournemouth
4 - 3 v Chelsea (after winning in the 90th minute only to end up losing)
1 - 1 v Brentford (scoring in the 90+ minutes only to immediately concede)
1 - 2 v Fulham
0 - 3 v Bournemouth
0 - 1 v Crystal Palace
1 - 3 v Brighton

The absolute disastrous Champions League campaign.

Being dumped out of the League Cup 0 - 3 at home to Newcastle.

Struggling to beat Newport in the FA Cup.

These results alone should have seen him go months ago.

But there's still...
9 games lost at Old Trafford.
14 PL games lost this season.
19 games lost in all competitions.
85 goals conceded in all competitions.
58 goals conceded in the PL.
57 goals scored in the PL.
Negative goal difference.
Lowest ever position finish in the PL.
Highest number of shots faced in a PL season.
Bottom of our CL group.

You can't chalk all of this up to "injuries". The buck must stop with him.

That's just THIS SEASON too! We've also been on a downward trajectory since just before the League Cup final too, and only just scraped top 3.

It is not suddenly going to improve next season.

"We looked so much better than they did."

We did look better in the sense that we executed our game plan better than they did and of course we got the win -- and I want to be clear that winning is almost everything in sport -- but we had very little control control of the ball and we relied on City having a bad day to beat them. We played a brand of football that was our only hope of beating the better side in a cup final, but is a brand of football we can never, ever embrace over a 38 game PL season. In a very real sense we did look better than City on the day, but we looked better by playing a worse brand of football that only works as a smash and grab, which is what the FA Cup really was.

City had a bad day? The Gvardiol/Ortega mistake obviously and then the two chances on goal by Alvarez that on another day he would have beaten Onana. De Bruyne was shocking. Haaland was a nonfactor but on that point all credit goes to Varane and Martinez for shutting him down. I don't recall many stretches of dominance over City or Liverpool, nor Arsenal or Liverpool. We had a good win over West Ham though.

This is how everyone plays against Pep’s City side. Might be misremembering but I feel like even that brilliant 99-point Liverpool side picked its moments to go forward albeit with more quality and consistency.

But to your broader point, maybe he’s stumbled onto sacrificing Hojlund for an extra body in midfield and playing Bruno in the false 9 like he did with Sancho in preseason. I don’t think we’d sacrifice much in those games in which we’re meant to be on the front foot.

I think we all need to take a breath and just savour the thought of 5 months of Ten Hag suicide ball followed by 3 years of admiring Southgate's waistcoat collection. While we play 5 at the back and eventually drop into the bottom half of the table for real.

What another rollercoaster season of emotions it'll be. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.