Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the manager persisted playing his own way almost throughout the season, leading to awful football and an unprecedented shots against. The defence / mitigation is that he didn’t have the players available on the pitch to make his style successful. On the other hand, the only time he has been successful this season as well as last season is when we have resorted to playing pragmatic football. Even in early part of last season, when he tried to play more open, we got thrashed by Brighton & Brentford.

What gives you the confidence that his preferred ‘style’ is going to get us any better results next season, even if he was to get his players back? Seems we are leaving a lot on hope that the right players will make his style successful when we have seen absolutely no evidence that supports that over the last 2 seasons.

It’s not an exact science. Klopp finished 5th last year with a squad that finished 2nd the year before and won two cups.

This is how everyone plays against Pep’s City side. Might be misremembering but I feel like even that brilliant 99-point Liverpool side picked its moments to go forward albeit with more quality and consistency.

But to your broader point, maybe he’s stumbled onto sacrificing Hojlund for an extra body in midfield and playing Bruno in the false 9 like he did with Sancho in preseason. I don’t think we’d sacrifice much in those games in which we’re meant to be on the front foot.

True, virtually every opponent of City sits back and hopes to nick a counter or get something off a free kick and City virtually always prevail against those opponents. In this case, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, we were not only outplayed but City gifted us the first goal and missed sitters that threw the result our way. City rarely ever makes mistakes like they did against us and I can't think of a single match in the last decade where they played as poorly as they did against us.

Apart from the Mainoo goal, we did not work a brilliant turn of possession into a good chance against City. We had our two chances -- the Garnacho sitter and the Mainoo brilliant striker -- and that was it on the day. I'm not sure what the officially tally of good chances on goal for City but I would say it was 5 or 6, with one of them requiring a fantastic save by Onana and the other was a tame shot but Onana fumbled the easy chance for a save. A win is a win is a win, but the important point is that it was a smash and grab win and in no way a blueprint for the way forward for United. We cannot play this brand of football against the 19 other PL clubs.

It’s not an exact science. Klopp finished 5th last year with a squad that finished 2nd the year before and won two cups.
It isn’t just about the results. Anyone who has watched us this season could clearly see that whatever ‘style’ our manager was playing was producing absolutely torrid football. Even the games we won could easily have gone against us.
I don’t know how anyone can go into next season with any degree of confidence that Ten Hag’s style will be successful. On the contrary, we have enough evidence to reasonably predict that we will see similar performances as this season, if Ten Hag persists with his ‘style’.

It isn’t just about the results. Anyone who has watched us this season could clearly see that whatever ‘style’ our manager was playing was producing absolutely torrid football. Even the games we won could easily have gone against us.
I don’t know how anyone can go into next season with any degree of confidence that Ten Hag’s style will be successful. On the contrary, we have enough evidence to reasonably predict that we will see similar performances as this season, if Ten Hag persists with his ‘style’.

Fair go. I disagree. But all good.

I seriously doubt there's any truth to the Southgate rumours. It sounds too ridiculous to be true and has the sense of being something completely invented by the media like how numerous players always get linked to United in the transfer window. I'm even sceptical there was ever any genuine interest in McKenna.

Of course it matters. Southgate tuchel Poch de Zerbi and Frank are all passed up on if we decide to keep Ten hag.

Now in your hypothetical scenario, we have kept ten hag, and it's gone tits up by Christmas, and we get Southgate.

My question is what has suddenly happened to all the other coaches?

Why are you saying Southgate has been passed up? He's not available until August and that's if paying compensation.

You'd think the guy had won multiple league titles and champions leagues the amount of fuss being made over him. Ten Hag really is the very worst example of how managers are put on a pedestal at United. Utterly ridiculous

I don’t understand what you’re asking here?
You mentioned that it's easier to win cups that to perform consistently in the league.
If that's the case, then why should ETH winning the FA Cup have an effect on him keeping his job, considering how terrible the team performed this season.

You'd think the guy had won multiple league titles and champions leagues the amount of fuss being made over him. Ten Hag really is the very worst example of how managers are put on a pedestal at United. Utterly ridiculous
What's worse is that he buys his own hype. Imagine him telling us that he'll go elsewhere and win trophies. Such an incredibly arrogant statement, yet our fans stood by and lapped it up. Yet the same fans would be upset if Rashford said he'd go elsewhere and win trophies

Interesting how one cup final win can override 38 games of soul sucking football.

The man brought in with the very specific task of moving away from Ole ball and getting us closer to Liverpool, Arsenal and City.

- Produced a worse version of Ole ball
- Pushed us further away from Liverpool, Arsenal and City
- Spent 2 years and nearly half a billion to do it.

Who cares, we are better at penalties than Coventry, Ortega had a comedic brain fart for City and Alvarez missed a sitter.

Let's give him another 3 year deal, really excited.

Driving me mad mate.
The same people will be calling for him to be sacked 4 games into the new season.

Why are you saying Southgate has been passed up? He's not available until August and that's if paying compensation.
If we wanted him we'd get him at the start of next season. Why do you think he's ahead of the other candidates? This is the bizarre thing. It's based on nothing it seems.

So the FA Cup will be the Ineos version of that night in Paris where the best laid plans are ignored for the expediency of giving in to sentimentality inspired by euphoric mobs. The more things change the more they stay the same and when he is eventually sacked Sir Jim's Brexit brigade will bring in the mediocre waistcoat clown to really finish us off.

The way this has turned out really highlights what incompetent muppets Jim has brought in, no best in class at all just nepotistic old boys positioning their mates for roles. There is no serious company that goes into what is supposed to be a crucial period, after a difficult year where you need to plot a recovery, without their ducks laid in a row. This review period is what they were supposed to be doing in March, there was enough evidence even then, a replacement secured and already signed.

Another season wasted because the executive has no backbone to make a decision amidst all the noise. The Glazers really fecked us over by doing a deal with indecisive clowns like these.

The amount of people in this thread getting their knickers in a twist over random twitter posts. It’s pretty much summer lads, put down your phones, switch off your computers and go outside.

True, virtually every opponent of City sits back and hopes to nick a counter or get something off a free kick and City virtually always prevail against those opponents. In this case, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, we were not only outplayed but City gifted us the first goal and missed sitters that threw the result our way. City rarely ever makes mistakes like they did against us and I can't think of a single match in the last decade where they played as poorly as they did against us.

Apart from the Mainoo goal, we did not work a brilliant turn of possession into a good chance against City. We had our two chances -- the Garnacho sitter and the Mainoo brilliant striker -- and that was it on the day. I'm not sure what the officially tally of good chances on goal for City but I would say it was 5 or 6, with one of them requiring a fantastic save by Onana and the other was a tame shot but Onana fumbled the easy chance for a save. A win is a win is a win, but the important point is that it was a smash and grab win and in no way a blueprint for the way forward for United. We cannot play this brand of football against the 19 other PL clubs.
Sorry, but this is guff. We were not outplayed by City. We were comfortably 2-0 up at half time and at the end of the match we beat them on xG and pretty much every attacking metric you want. Arsenal at home to them didn't even come close to that kind of performance and even less so away.

We had several passages of play that had Rashford or Garnacho in a 1v1 foot race with the defenders through on goal. That is a successful tactical plan and probably a large reason Walker didn't track Mainoo for the goal and why Gvardiol made the mistake he did.

You can play this brand of football, because we did in parts keep the ball well and invited the press, leaving gaps in behind to exploit. Newcastle, Brentford, Spurs, Villa, etc all press from the front. We were shite covering space all season, we didn't have anyone at the back who could beat a press be it with ball carrying or passing and we constantly gave it away carelessly. Even for Mainoos goal, Wan Bissaka overlapped properly for once in his life. Now, all of the fact we're missing that can be attributed to poor squad management/planning and coaching by Ten Hag, but the style of football obviously works and it clearly wasn't a smash and grab.

I can already hear the excuses when he's struggling in November.

"FFP restricted our transfer window, he needs one more summer of free spending to really build his team."

The amount of people in this thread getting their knickers in a twist over random twitter posts. It’s pretty much summer lads, put down your phones, switch off your computers and go outside.
TBF it is transfer season. Its par for the course

The amount of people in here getting their knickers in a twist about fans discussing their club on an internet forum dedicated to discussing their club. It's pretty much summer lad, put the phone down, switch off your computer and go outside.

I don't see any other outcome as I don't expect the form of the last 16 months to magically change. But I'll patiently wait for an official announcement before getting my black clothing out. :lol:

Nor do I. I will be absolutely shocked if we just proceed with ETH and do standard transfer business this summer and then come out in August flying looking like a different side. Would be nice though!

Why are people getting annoyed because they haven’t sacked a manager within a few days of the cup final win?

Even if he is to be sacked I will be far happier if they have given it at least a week to settle down first. Maybe the owners are aware that to sack him too soon would upset those fans still buzzing about the cup final. Give those people, and I am one of those still buzzing, a bit longer to enjoy it and then announce it either way.

The United Stand. Famously having an inside track on the season review meetings that are yet to be completed where other people than the ones they mention are deciding on the recommendation to give to the board.

Beginning to hate all of these fan organizations tbh, especially after the clear SEG connection that TUS has. Just becomes a mouthpiece for agendas moreso than an actual fan channel

If we wanted him we'd get him at the start of next season. Why do you think he's ahead of the other candidates? This is the bizarre thing. It's based on nothing it seems.

We're not hiring a new manager to coincide with the start of a season, obviously.

If you dont have common sense I cant help you.

Why are people getting annoyed because they haven’t sacked a manager within a few days of the cup final win?

Even if he is to be sacked I will be far happier if they have given it at least a week to settle down first. Maybe the owners are aware that to sack him too soon would upset those fans still buzzing about the cup final. Give those people, and I am one of those still buzzing, a bit longer to enjoy it and then announce it either way.

It’s more so people getting annoyed at reports that there has been a change of heart after Saturday, or that they are just now conducting a review when any decent operation would have been reviewing for months now and had a good idea of the conclusion to come to.

I reckon there are some bots in here, no one can post this much on the same topic rehashing what they said a hundred pages back and be sane.

Poll is almost tied now 49.9% to 50.1%
Certainly different than a month ago or so

I think you're confused. What you're seeing are United fans celebrating the shit out of an unlikely FA Cup win against a massively fancied City team - and rightly so. They're also affirming a beleaguered manager who most fans are still behind. Everyone knows how far away we are from winning those CL titles, but we're allowed to be happy for a manager who won a trophy and who hopefully stays on.

Sorry, but this is guff. We were not outplayed by City. We were comfortably 2-0 up at half time and at the end of the match we beat them on xG and pretty much every attacking metric you want. Arsenal at home to them didn't even come close to that kind of performance and even less so away.

We had several passages of play that had Rashford or Garnacho in a 1v1 foot race with the defenders through on goal. That is a successful tactical plan and probably a large reason Walker didn't track Mainoo for the goal and why Gvardiol made the mistake he did.

You can play this brand of football, because we did in parts keep the ball well and invited the press, leaving gaps in behind to exploit. Newcastle, Brentford, Spurs, Villa, etc all press from the front. We were shite covering space all season, we didn't have anyone at the back who could beat a press be it with ball carrying or passing and we constantly gave it away carelessly. Even for Mainoos goal, Wan Bissaka overlapped properly for once in his life. Now, all of the fact we're missing that can be attributed to poor squad management/planning and coaching by Ten Hag, but the style of football obviously works and it clearly wasn't a smash and grab.

First things first: we won the game and winning is the only objective going into a game of football. There were no dodgy referee calls -- although if this were a City forum I'm sure we'd be hearing a lot more about two pens that weren't given that I believe were correctly not given, yet both were the kind of contact that is given as a pen from time to time -- and no beachballs or anything of the sort. The match was won on the pitch and we won the game. No one argues otherwise.

That said, we controlled the tempo of the game off the ball, not on the ball. We defended deep and hit on counters. The ball from Dalot was Route One stuff and landed on the foot of Garnacho after a colossal mistake by Gvardiol/Ortega for an open net tap in. This cannot be denied. It also cannot be denied that the second goal was a fantastic counterattack beginning with a fantastic long ball by Rashford, an assist for the ages by Bruno and the sweet finish by Mainoo -- there is no debating the brilliance of that goal.

But that was it as far as chances on goal we had. Garnacho has a chance from a tough angle late in the match but he was never beating the keeper from that angle.

City were torturing us with chances, some of which were glorious and others of which were well taken but off the mark -- the Haaland shot off the crossbar. We let them have possession, which is a noble tactic, and we were rewarded with brilliant defending by our backline to smother Haaland and then Doku. But there is no doubt the majority of play was in our half with City's feet on the ball. I think I read a stat of 27% possession which I can't confirm but sounds right to me.

As brilliant as a performance as it was, this is not a sustainable tactic in the PL. We can't go up against West Ham, Wolves et al and expect to compete for the PL trophy playing this kind of football.

It’s more so people getting annoyed at reports that there has been a change of heart after Saturday, or that they are just now conducting a review when any decent operation would have been reviewing for months now and had a good idea of the conclusion to come to.
Has it considered to you that a fair few may have been borderline on him and an FA cup win (which is quite big) tipped them one way?

The review talk is baffling. As is the random list of coaches we have been linked to.

We have heard so much about the fabled 'game model' that Wilcox is working on etc. If there is genuinely a game model how can the list of coaches we've talked to be so wide? A bunch of guys who basically have nothing in common. Who's making the call on this?

For me Ten Hag deserved to be sacked some time ago. His tactics were leading to relegation fodder having 15-20 shots against us, week in week out. At any time he could have changed our approach, as he did at the weekend, but he chose to persist with the kamikaze stuff.

However, I am fine if he stays now because INEOS thinks he can show the required level of pragmatism to avoid us being slapped about by Crystal Palace.

What I don't want is to sack Ten Hag and end up with a worse coach. Don't serve me s-t and tell me it's steak. I am not interested in Southgate coming in or Potter coming in. If Omar Berrada's braintrust has decided it wants Barcelona football and we are trying to get Luis Enrique out of Paris, ok. But don't give me Gary O'Neill and tell me it's a brilliant move.

The review, decision and headhunting of replacement should have been done urges ago. At least that's how serious football people would do it, what does 90 minutes against City show us that we didn't see in countless embarrassing losses that cost us an entire season? They bottled the decision during the season and a now dazed in a whirlwind of euphoria.

You mentioned that it's easier to win cups that to perform consistently in the league.
If that's the case, then why should ETH winning the FA Cup have an effect on him keeping his job, considering how terrible the team performed this season.
Nah, the point is that in a one off cup game you play a certain style to better the opponent. You don’t necessarily play the standard predefined style like you would in the league.
So ten Hag gets the kudos for being able to set up tactically to suit an opponent on a one off occasion.
As you imply this is not necessarily a reason on its own to keep him, but the fact that he has done it two consecutive seasons, we had a decent league campaign last year, and he has bought on youth players whilst dealing with all the squad issues and off field stuff. He’s also done it on his own without any support from a competent DOF or structure around him. I for one would love to see what he can achieve with Ashworth, Wilcox and Berrarda behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.