Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m still in the ETH team. It just seems crazy to me that he was so pig headed in terms of formation all season (no defensive cover in midfield) game after game the whole of our fan base could see we needed a change. For the last three games he solidified the midfield and lo and behold we start getting decent results. A decent manager works that out a lot sooner and is far more pragmatic.

To be fair, he didn’t solidify the midfield. He played McTominay high and Amrabat had his best game for us.

The biggest change was having Varane, Martinez and Dalot together. Plus AWB playing well in a first half that we scored twice. I don’t think Wan Bisakka lasts the match if Doku started.

He had the perfect game plan against City, with fit players, and everyone played well and we scored at the right time.

We would have lost that match if it came a month ago. Personnel matters.

I’m not an evangelist for the guy. We conceded the third most shots on goal in PL History. The worst and second worst teams finished 20th. The season was a disaster.

I still back him over anyone other that the most elite managers. I’d trust him to accept sensible young signings, signed for sensible money. To add youth players to that. To improve next year and give us a better platform.

I don’t see anyone better that will work under those conditions and deliver more.

What's more incredible is incessantly bitching about poll results from those wanting ten hag out, whilst also trying to suggest large portions of fans weren't backing him before the FA cup final.
That isn't more incredible at all :lol: , the prisoner of the moment on steroid stuff takes the cake easily.

Just hope INEOS aren't half as reactionary and emotionally driven as our fanbase.

We've gone down this very road recently, minus the silverware even, and it set us back a season or 2. Lets hope we change up our approach this go around

I’ve noticed that We blame ole for the signings but don’t ETH.
I honestly never know what to believe on that front as there's lots of different takes. I was wrong to allude to VdB as an Ole signing as i don't believe that's the case, same way i don't believe Fred was a Jose signing in a million years. Still, quite a few poor signings were made in the Ole era regardless of who actually bought them. Time will tell on EtH's.

Hopefully that rules out Tuchel and Southgate. Also means we might as well keep ETH

Hopefully Southgate is ruled out under any circumstances. Tommy Tuchel I don't know he has worked under a DOF at all his clubs I'd imagine.

If anything the recent reports show he has the backing of the players.

If the season was squarely down to injuries then we need to invest in depth going forward as ours is diabolical.

I see you're no longer pretending to fence-sit now that your side is back on the ascendency
He never fence sat in reality, he was always going to blame players and structure even if we finished in 15th
Cheers for speaking for me. Keep up the conversational terrorism.
That isn't more incredible at all :lol: , the prisoner of the moment on steroid stuff takes the cake easily.

Just hope INEOS aren't half as reactionary and emotionally driven as our fanbase.

We've gone down this very road recently, minus the silverware even, and it set us back a season or 2. Lets hope we change up our approach this go around
The Prisoner of the moment line has really gripped you all hasn't it?

As I said, many fans wanted him to stay before the FA cup final. Stop pretending like that wasn't the case.

Large portions wanted him out, large portions wanted him to stay. Match going fans particularly wanted him to stay. Now sentiment has swong toward wanting him to stay, get over it. It's just a fecking poll and he's likely sacked irrespective so just chill the feck out.

Not that the twitter account will know a thing, but as somebody pointed out in the replies, it would be scary that INEOS would change their decision based on fan reaction/one game, and only had McKenna as an alternative. I think even Woodward could have come up with a better plan.

But it's bollocks anyway.

The injuries defense is taken way too far by ten Hag's apologists. We lost Martinez and Shaw for what was in reality the entire season and those are two huge misses, but the argument cannot be that without Martinez and Shaw there was no chance we could have played proper football even once.

*Sigh*

Nobody is saying that, and it's miles away from what actually happened.

Mainoo out for the first half of the season. Mount out for all of it. Casemiro injured at times, Varane for long spells. Maguire, Malacia, Amrabat, Lindelof, Hojlund, Eriksen, Evans, AWB etc etc.

BUT, even that isn't the full story. We start to make a decent go of it with Maguire in defence(for example), then he gets injured. Evans is doing well, then he gets injured before anyone else comes back, so it's Casemiro of all people. He was predictably bad and took a few games to get to some kind of standard. The point I'm making is that instead of options and rotation, the manager has been forced to pick those who've been available all season. It's been like this for defence and midfield for nearly the whole year. I can't remember anything like it in terms of bad luck.

In attack he's had a few options and, to be honest, could probably have done a better job with selection and rotation. But we're really not blessed in those areas. Most of our forwards are young, so playing in front of an ever-changing back and middle has just exacerbated our problems. Then there's the mismatch of styles in the squad. Does anybody think this manager wants to start McTominay for 30+ games a season? Of course not. He's done as well as could be expected and he always gives his all, but he's never a possesion player. Nor is AWB. Neither are Rashford and Garnacho for that matter. From his own mouth, the manager tried to stick to his style through the problems. This may well have been a mistake, it might(though it looks a long shot right now) turn out to be helpful if he stays and gets more appropriate players to fill the gaps, in terms of giving those that did play this year more experience of what ETH is trying to achieve long term. He could, of course, have employed a more pragmatic approach, as he's done in the tougher games with some reasonable success. But that sort of short-termism was, in thoery, what we were trying to move away from. So I can't really fault him for that when he's been told to build for the future.

There's no getting away from the fact that it's been awful on the pitch, like I said a few posts up, I can totally understand the frustrations. For me though, the manager deserves some leeway and understanding for everything that's gone wrong this year. At the very least though, I'd hope that fans who've seen it all unfold this year would acknowledge these issues and not try to downplay them to justify wanting a new manager.

Not that the twitter account will know a thing, but as somebody pointed out in the replies, it would be scary that INEOS would change their decision based on fan reaction/one game, and only had McKenna as an alternative. I think even Woodward could have come up with a better plan.

But it's bollocks anyway.

Yeah I'm praying it's bollocks and they actually make a decision without taking into factor the cup much at all, for better or worse. Keep him if they think he's been hard done by structure/injuries/signings etc. or sack him if they found this season unacceptable. Changing tune over one win though is a worryingly bad sign for the future considering we are all supposed to "trust" them now

*Sigh*

Nobody is saying that, and it's miles away from what actually happened.

Mainoo out for the first half of the season. Mount out for all of it. Casemiro injured at times, Varane for long spells. Maguire, Malacia, Amrabat, Lindelof, Hojlund, Eriksen, Evans, AWB etc etc.

BUT, even that isn't the full story. We start to make a decent go of it with Maguire in defence(for example), then he gets injured. Evans is doing well, then he gets injured before anyone else comes back, so it's Casemiro of all people. He was predictably bad and took a few games to get to some kind of standard. The point I'm making is that instead of options and rotation, the manager has been forced to pick those who've been available all season. It's been like this for defence and midfield for nearly the whole year. I can't remember anything like it in terms of bad luck.

In attack he's had a few options and, to be honest, could probably have done a better job with selection and rotation. But we're really not blessed in those areas. Most of our forwards are young, so playing in front of an ever-changing back and middle has just exacerbated our problems. Then there's the mismatch of styles in the squad. Does anybody think this manager wants to start McTominay for 30+ games a season? Of course not. He's done as well as could be expected and he always gives his all, but he's never a possesion player. Nor is AWB. Neither are Rashford and Garnacho for that matter. From his own mouth, the manager tried to stick to his style through the problems. This may well have been a mistake, it might(though it looks a long shot right now) turn out to be helpful if he stays and gets more appropriate players to fill the gaps, in terms of giving those that did play this year more experience of what ETH is trying to achieve long term. He could, of course, have employed a more pragmatic approach, as he's done in the tougher games with some reasonable success. But that sort of short-termism was, in thoery, what we were trying to move away from. So I can't really fault him for that when he's been told to build for the future.

There's no getting away from the fact that it's been awful on the pitch, like I said a few posts up, I can totally understand the frustrations. For me though, the manager deserves some leeway and understanding for everything that's gone wrong this year. At the very least though, I'd hope that fans who've seen it all unfold this year would acknowledge these issues and not try to downplay them to justify wanting a new manager.

If Martinez goes down next year along with say Mainoo (god forbid), and we are opened up like a sunday league side time and again like we were this year, does Ten Hag get another year? Would you be willing to give him a 4th? Because those would be two huge injuries to our starting XI.

I think I'll have to arrange an eye test. I must have been watching a different team to everyone else this season.

We were comfortably the worst performing team in Europe on the pitch - relative to talent.

Shocking.
Worst CL group stage run of any major English side in recent memory and the worst Domestic League campaign in a generation, our worst in the modern PL, while serving up diabolical football 90% of the time...

I'm sorry, I appreciate the 2 cups but this is the exact sort of thing I was Jose out all the way out in the face of fans talking up his trophy record. There hasn't been any noticeable improvement in the slightest, on the contrary every single player we kept in the side bar maybe Dalot, regressed big time since last season. Even that embarassing Chelsea side managed to consistently play some good stuff towards the end of the season while we would be in dogfights with the worst of the worst going toe to toe with us.

Nothing personal against the guy truly, I'd have loved for him to be our man for the long term but I simply can't wash the taste of the last 8 months of hell in the league away. Never seen a United side more thoroughly outplayed as regularly and as often in my life, not even mentioning the reoccuring thrashings at various points of the season that helped result in a negative GD after 38 matches (!!!)

Simply not good enough in any way or measure, the FA Cup is a blessing and lets us end things without too much negativity and acrimony as the manager can highlight winning 2 trophies in 2 years on his CV.

I think I'll have to arrange an eye test. I must have been watching a different team to everyone else this season.

We were comfortably the worst performing team in Europe on the pitch - relative to talent.

Shocking.
No need for that, you simply didn’t wear rose tinted glasses throughout the season.

It seems like he'll stay. Have to wait for Adam Crafton to get the inside scoop on how it went down. There was some leak to all the major outlets to suggest that he's going to be sacked after the FA cup final but seemingly a total 180 after that.

Did they really do a 180? (In which case the new leadership is as bad as the old one)

Or was the plan always to do a season review and decide after the season?

To be fair, he didn’t solidify the midfield. He played McTominay high and Amrabat had his best game for us.

The biggest change was having Varane, Martinez and Dalot together. Plus AWB playing well in a first half that we scored twice. I don’t think Wan Bisakka lasts the match if Doku started.

He had the perfect game plan against City, with fit players, and everyone played well and we scored at the right time.

We would have lost that match if it came a month ago. Personnel matters.

I’m not an evangelist for the guy. We conceded the third most shots on goal in PL History. The worst and second worst teams finished 20th. The season was a disaster.

I still back him over anyone other that the most elite managers. I’d trust him to accept sensible young signings, signed for sensible money. To add youth players to that. To improve next year and give us a better platform.

I don’t see anyone better that will work under those conditions and deliver more.

He definitely did. Simply playing an extra midfielder for a start tightens things up in there.

Plus a player in Amrabat who'll actually stick to being a 6. Which we haven't had all season.

We were noticeably closer together in midfield, much less space for the opposition to play in.

If Martinez goes down next year along with say Mainoo (god forbid), and we are opened up like a sunday league side time and again like we were this year, does Ten Hag get another year? Would you be willing to give him a 4th? Because those would be two huge injuries to our starting XI.

No, clearly not.

Though I sincerely hope that our backups to Mainoo for next year aren't still Eriksen and Casemiro.

If we keep him and then I'm watching us get battered in transition yet again in August while Kobbie is playing next to the striker and our DM is on an island I might puke
But... it's a new season where our players haven't had the opportunity to play together competitively for 5 matches! Or something.

Sigh...not my personal preference but those interested...

Ten Hag stays

They want Southgate

No, clearly not.

Though I sincerely hope that our backups to Mainoo for next year aren't still Eriksen and Casemiro.

In that case what gives you pause from willing to blame him due to injuries this year? Because the situation is similar to the one I provided: We were without our first choice LB and CB for a majority of the year, intersparsed with various injuries throughout the squad but in total probably 3/4's were mostly available for much of the year yet we were horrendous as a team. It wasn't just Evans making individual errors in games we were performing well in, or the occasional Lindelof/Maguire bluder fecking over what was a good performance (which is what you'd assume when having to play 3rd-5th choice players and trying to get results). As a team we were consistently ran through while being mostly toothless on the attacking end of the pitch. If the same thing occurs next season I don't see how the situation would be any different to this year apart from the blind hope right now that Ten Hag magically fixes all of his issues over the summer while we bring in another batch of fresh faces?

Just seems like a plan based on blind hope as opposed to evidence of what we've been given with him thus far and I'm trying to understand the other side of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.