Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang on a second what do you lot think happens when we're two months I tot he new season and he's serving up the same shite , he's signed some proper duds for 80m each from eredivisie and we are languishing in mid table?

It's far more risky to keep him there's nothing to suggest he'll do better in the window or the league next season.

Give him until Christmas to see how he does.

Sounds like it's all about saving money so he could end up staying due to financial reasons then
This seems such lazy journalism. I mean, there were only 2 scenarios that the decision makers needed to plan for 1) We win the FA cup and qualify for EL 2) We don’t win and are out of Europe. I would be absolutely aghast if all the executives we have brought in are not able to plan around these 2 scenarios.

Making it look like it’s a new complication is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for news.

Keep Him.

He has a track record of developing talented young players. Has given us 3 cup finals in 2 years along with 2 trophies (1 of which is a smaller trophy but still a trophy).

His negatives is that his style requires specific players to execute and that his transfer record has been dodgy. Transfers will not be a part of his focus going forward with the new structure, and the data analysis should help quantify things on the coaching side.

The reality is that of all of the potential candidates to replace, only Tuchel and Poch have proven things at a larger club. The others carry as much if not more risk than keeping Ten Hag. Sometimes the devil that you know is better than the devil that you don't. The absolute worst case, he doesn't get his contract renewed at the end of this year and the club moves forward.
This

Maybe being in the minority of people who see football as a form of entertainment and not an actual lifestyle skews my perception here, but the #1 reason I want him gone is because I'm really tired of us being out of any big title challenge by the end of January.

Would a new manager fix this immediately? Probably not, but it might. Whereas keeping Ten Hag around certainly won't.

I have no doubt he'll do better next year. I don't think 8th and a negative GD is a good reflection of his managerial capabilities. But I'm willing to bet my kidney we will be out of any real European and domestic trophy discussion by February and the most we'll have to look forward to for half the aeason will be another possible Mickey Mouse cup run.

I don't think there's any manager that can come in and win us the league on his first season, but I'd like us to at least stay in the conversation for a while. And that's the one thing ETH has never even been close to delivering.
How can you be tired of something that never happens?

United haven’t challenged for a title in over a decade. We’ve been second twice and both times were so far off the top it was laughable.

I’m tired of us not winning the CL and scoring 100 goals a season then I guess.

2 trophies, 2 seasons. Ten hag deserves one more year with proper backroom staff now in place to support him and his style of football and employ proper transfer policies with players of the right age and to stop the savage wages of average players.. It would be utterly crazy to sack him. Yes some of our performances have been crazy bad but he did get 3rd his first season and a cup. People looking for him to be sacked are not Man United supporters in my opinion and Ten Hag deserves one more season. If you want Ten Hag to be sacked in my opinion your a glory hunting Man Utd fan who will criticize any manager in charge and think a new manager will bring instant success and this would not be the case! Ten Hag deserves one more season! Poch and Tuchel failed to win the french league and German league in thier 1st season where it was dominated for years by the teams they were manging. Tells you all really? Who else is there De Zebri? Sorry not good enough and unproven.
Grow up

No it doesn't whatsoever. I will repeat glory hunting fans, Only reason they probably started supporting United in the first place because they were winning everything! Two trophies two seasons when we have only won five trophies since Fergie retired and finished outside champions league spots six times and you want Ten Hag sacked, give me a break. Again I will repeat with the not real fans because that is what you are!

Wouldn't glory hunting fans be right behind Ten Hag though? After 2 trophies in 2 seasons?

Glory hunters aren't likely to look at anything beyond the shiny trophies at things like performances over the course of a season.

I think the team improved in the last couple go games leading up to the final. Before giving EtH any assurances about his future, if I were INEOS I would ask him if there was a reason why his approach was different or whether it was really players coming back from injuries. Ironically, United seemed to back off with manic suicidal pressing just as our first choice defenders came back. Coincidence or on purpose? I am perplexed.
Penny dropped just as we were about to play Arsenal I think, he changed things (even if it didn't always work). And for me that's a massive issue, how did it take so long to deal with that gulf in midfield that was obvious to the average fan after Wolves?

I personallyt don't think its about accepting mediocrity. If I thought he would have us finish 8th again next year with a negative goal difference etc I would sack him. I dont think that though. I think he'll do better next year, so I want him because I dont think anyone else could be any more likely to come in and do better.

I'd imagine everyone thinks that is likely, how much better is the question though. Finishing 7th with a GD of +1 is better but would you be happpy with that?

I hope that this is satire.

Where did you get sabotage from?

By the looks of it, he's asked the players to play possession high press football, even Rooney has said the players aren't good enough for Manchester United.

Did you want us to go defensive counter attacking? I think you'll see this in FA cup final by the way.

Rio has spoken lots of times about 1v1 defending and actually said that SAF made them play like that.

442 can still have 1v1 defending, remember the 442 from 1994/5 I loved that team, but we've not played the traditional 442 since about 2003? That's 20 years.

Still stand by my original comments.

Yes anyone who'd take the bait.
Its clear he's not wumming in his posts.
I'm curious if you think our rival fans have hijacked our fan twitter accounts, such as the red army, and written a joke request for Ten Hag to stay though

Its clear he's not wumming in his posts.
I'm curious if you think our rival fans have hijacked our fan twitter accounts, such as the red army, and written a joke request for Ten Hag to stay though

;)

I imagine any online poll related to football on an open platform like Twitter is swamped with opposition fans skewing the results.

Do you think opposition fans don't vote in polls designed to gauge opinion amongst supporters of a particular club?

Still stand by my original comments.
I don't think it's particularly noble to remain stubborn and playing players clearly not suited to the style you're trying to implement. If he just played more inexperienced and "lesser" players that at least could run, it would make more sense. The fact he did it for so long is a real red flag for those who want to give him a chance.

Under ETH I have seen some of the craziest sht I've ever seen in football-
1. Worst tactics I have ever seen from all levels of football. Even my sons Under 12 team. And that's the High line/low block with a huge gap in midfield. I challenge anyone to tell me crazier tactics ever witnessed in football at any level.
2. The worst judgement/signing of a player - Antony. Yes there gave been failed signings. Expensive failed signings. But never have I seen a record signing by an ex manager fail like this. Is this the worst judgement of a player ever. You work with him for 2 years. Everyone in your staff will be giving you reports on him and still you fail to see his deficiencies. My mind boggles. Have you ever seen a worse judgement of a player?
3. Crazy thing said as a Manager. ETH - I cant play the tactics I was successful for and signed for and will play totally different tactics at United. I dont care if its his fault or the board or whoever. I have never heard a manager say that they wont play their tactics. Never. Makes no sense.
4. Finishing 8th. Never seen it
5. Biggest defeats. Brantford 4-0. Bournemouth 3-0 Crystal Palace 4-0 City 6-3? Liverpool 7-0. and on and on. Not just beaten. Battered. And not just this season. Last season. Never seen such results even under Rangnick.
6. Folding from a winning position. Chelsea was bad. But being 3-0 up and conceding 3 goals against fkn Coventry was something else. Have you seen a worse capitulation?

7. Even after all the sht above ETH gets a high win percentage, 3rd and 2 cups. Never seen a manager be so sht but somehow produce at the same time.
8. Never have I seen a Manager fail so badly as above and still be backed by the fans and the players.

;)

I imagine any online poll related to football on an open platform like Twitter is swamped with opposition fans skewing the results.

Do you think opposition fans don't vote in polls designed to gauge opinion amongst supporters of a particular club?
I think we need to take a step back and look at what we discussed. Your view was fan sentiment was not reflective of the polls. I'm just reminding you that match going fans want him to stay, other United pundits and more measured supporters want him to stay and of course, a lot globally.

Whether supporter fans can theoretically hijack a poll is another matter, my point was never resting solely on poll sentiment. I'm not as obsessed as some in the ten hag out camp, crying about timing.

No way he should stay and making that decision purely based on one game would be stupid. Our season was a shambles, he simply needs to go. The FA cup win was a nice way to end his tenure here.

I never liked how quicky I jumped to wanting Ten Hag out. Like I wasn't among the very first, but it was pretty early on. I hadn't done that with any manager previously.

And even though it continued to get worse and worse since that point I felt like I went against myself and unfairly jumped to conclusions.

And it did impact how I supported United. I always wanted us to win but there was an inner conflict because a part of me also wanted to be vindicated. Anyone who has been Ten Hag out and won't admit to feeling the same inner conflict is 100% lying. It's that simple.

It's fair to want him gone, lots of good reasons for it, but it ruined my experience of supporting United and if Ten Hag stayed I'd really welcome the chance to renew my support for him and get back to being an actual fully fledged supporter.

But that's just me.

Under ETH I have seen some of the craziest sht I've ever seen in football-
1. Worst tactics I have ever seen from all levels of football. Even my sons Under 12 team. And that's the High line/low block with a huge gap in midfield. I challenge anyone to tell me crazier tactics ever witnessed in football at any level.
2. The worst judgement/signing of a player - Antony. Yes there gave been failed signings. Expensive failed signings. But never have I seen a record signing by an ex manager fail like this. Is this the worst judgement of a player ever. You work with him for 2 years. Everyone in your staff will be giving you reports on him and still you fail to see his deficiencies. My mind boggles. Have you ever seen a worse judgement of a player?
3. Crazy thing said as a Manager. ETH - I cant play the tactics I was successful for and signed for and will play totally different tactics at United. I dont care if its his fault or the board or whoever. I have never heard a manager say that they wont play their tactics. Never. Makes no sense.
4. Finishing 8th. Never seen it
5. Biggest defeats. Brantford 4-0. Bournemouth 3-0 Crystal Palace 4-0 City 6-3? Liverpool 7-0. and on and on. Not just beaten. Battered. And not just this season. Last season. Never seen such results even under Rangnick.
6. Folding from a winning position. Chelsea was bad. But being 3-0 up and conceding 3 goals against fkn Coventry was something else. Have you seen a worse capitulation?

7. Even after all the sht above ETH gets a high win percentage, 3rd and 2 cups. Never seen a manager be so sht but somehow produce at the same time.
8. Never have I seen a Manager fail so badly as above and still be backed by the fans and the players.

He’s had high highs like wins over Liverpool, city, Barcelona and Newcastle etc and low lows. When it goes wrong, it goes spectacularly wrong for him.

I never liked how quicky I jumped to wanting Ten Hag out. Like I wasn't among the very first, but it was pretty early on. I hadn't done that with any manager previously.

And even though it continued to get worse and worse since that point I felt like I went against myself and unfairly jumped to conclusions.

And it did impact how I supported United. I always wanted us to win but there was an inner conflict because a part of me also wanted to be vindicated. Anyone who has been Ten Hag out and won't admit to feeling the same inner conflict is 100% lying. It's that simple.

It's fair to want him gone, lots of good reasons for it, but it ruined my experience of supporting United and if Ten Hag stayed I'd really welcome the chance to renew my support for him and get back to being an actual fully fledged supporter.

But that's just me.
Great post!

I'd imagine everyone thinks that is likely, how much better is the question though. Finishing 7th with a GD of +1 is better but would you be happpy with that?

That's the same with any manager, and if Ineos employ a new one, they'll tell us to 'be patient' and 'give the manager time' as they finish sixth on +2 the season after. Even if they don't win a trophy like EtH has in both seasons managing us.

Don't think there is a right answer to this conundrum. Stick or twist are both fraught with risk.

No way he should stay and making that decision purely based on one game would be stupid. Our season was a shambles, he simply needs to go. The FA cup win was a nice way to end his tenure here.

Who's your tip for a replacement?

You need to set realistic expectations for him if you are keeping him. Can’t expect him to suddenly turn it around from 8th to title challenge, and if we are keeping him based on this season then we basically admit we find this season acceptable. So realistic target for next year is to be within top 4 battle if we have minimal amount of injuries and don’t miss any key players for more than a few games, or just 6th or thereabouts otherwise (with some serious injuries, bad luck etc.).

It’d be madness to keep him and ask him to deliver much better with this team given how 23-24 panned out.

Will Jim and Erik come to an agreement that if the manager doesn’t have every single player available to him for the entire season, he gets another season to put things right?

We will be easily top four next year without injuries.

I don't massively disagree with this, I'm not sure it'll be easily though, but I think getting 4th is doable for a lot of the PL, with a bit of consistency as its a scrappy dog fight. But what if the injury issues continue, and it turns out Ten Hag and his staff are the root cause of said issues, and don't change anything to make things better? There's something not quite right, I don't beleive in luck as bad as we've had it in that department this season.

That's the same with any manager, and if Ineos employ a new one, they'll tell us to 'be patient' and 'give the manager time' as they finish sixth on +2 the season after. Even if they don't win a trophy like EtH has in both seasons managing us.

Don't think there is a right answer to this conundrum. Stick or twist are both fraught with risk.

Who's your tip for a replacement?

How long do they stick with one manager though? That's what Ineos will be weighing up, Ten Hags already had 2 years. While cup wins are great I doubt they've bought United to dick about in midtable.

I don't massively disagree with this, I'm not sure it'll be easily though, but I think getting 4th is doable for a lot of the PL, with a bit of consistency as its a scrappy dog fight. But what if the injury issues continue, and it turns out Ten Hag and his staff are the root cause of said issues, and don't change anything to make things better? There's something not quite right, I don't beleive in luck as bad as we've had it in that department this season.

Yeah this is absolutely fair. We obviously don’t know enough but whatever has caused our injuries this year needs to be addressed.

We hopefully have a lot of footballers who gave played nowhere near as much football this year. Should be better next year!

He’s right though. You are an absolutely terrible fan if you want your club to win more than you support the manager. fecking glory hunters cannot appreciate the great man.

Nonsense. By that logic Moyes should still be our manager...

We have to be within a shout if we have zero injuries.

With any injuries, bar should be lowered.

If everyone stays fit and rest of conditions fall into place ETH can definitely make us a solid top 6 team. That's a good goal to achieve for the next few years. It will also clear out the fan base of the glory hunters so the Local Lads and Top Reds can then truly enjoy Manchester United.

I might be wrong but I don't see enough fans changing their minds or INEOS caring what fans think in the short term anyway. We all know he won that game by parking the bus and hitting on the break and he can't do that in the league. It was a nice win but completely meaningless in terms of what needs to change and what INEOS are all about long term. But we and they still come to the same problem as before that we can't move forward except very slowly (Ten Hag in) and we mustn't go backward (Tuchel in). We are trapped in football no man's land.

The best thing INEOS can do politically is sacrifice ETH but keep the project going. So we get Poch or (ugh) Frank and a season of grace in which to baby step forward again. Ten Hag ends up as a blood sacrifice on the altar of fan impatience.

Personally I would keep him but I know that's not how the game works. Maybe it should be. Sure he's brought it on himself to some extent but the flaws lie mainly with the club, not him.
Pretty much what I'd hope for given the whole season, and not just basing the decision on one game. I'll still support him if he continues, but I don't see that going well, given the evidence of the last 12–18 months.
And people using the FA cup final, against your local rivals and then the celebrations to prove the players are playing for him; yeah no shit, its a final, chance for glory, no shit they'll give their best and in the celebration, no one's going to show anything other than joy. If the players were all in with him then they should have shown it in the other games of the season bar the rare ones.

I think we need to take a step back and look at what we discussed. Your view was fan sentiment was not reflective of the polls. I'm just reminding you that match going fans want him to stay, other United pundits and more measured supporters want him to stay and of course, a lot globally.

Whether supporter fans can theoretically hijack a poll is another matter, my point was never resting solely on poll sentiment. I'm not as obsessed as some in the ten hag out camp, crying about timing.

Did I actually say that though? I can remember saying online polls aren't a great way to gauge anything.

When have match going fans ever not backed a manager though? It's a commendable stance for them to take and I can't ever remember the match going fans turning on any of Moyes, Louis, Jose or Ole. Do you?

Ah, so if you want Ten Hag to stay you're more measured yes? Interesting.

You need to set realistic expectations for him if you are keeping him. Can’t expect him to suddenly turn it around from 8th to title challenge, and if we are keeping him based on this season then we basically admit we find this season acceptable. So realistic target for next year is to be within top 4 battle if we have minimal amount of injuries and don’t miss any key players for more than a few games, or just 6th or thereabouts otherwise (with some serious injuries, bad luck etc.).

It’d be madness to keep him and ask him to deliver much better with this team given how 23-24 panned out.

6th would be progress I suppose, then we'd have to give him a 4th year as we're going in the right direction.

Did I actually say that though? I can remember saying online polls aren't a great way to gauge anything.

When have match going fans ever not backed a manager though? It's a commendable stance for them to take and I can't ever remember the match going fans turning on any of Moyes, Louis, Jose or Ole. Do you?

There are more fans wanting ten hag to stay with a more measured outlook compared to a ton of those wanting him out from just being impatient and pissed off. Though there is also reason on both sides.

Also general support is one thing but writing in to request a manager not be sacked is another.

I don't think it's particularly noble to remain stubborn and playing players clearly not suited to the style you're trying to implement. If he just played more inexperienced and "lesser" players that at least could run, it would make more sense. The fact he did it for so long is a real red flag for those who want to give him a chance.

We've had none, I've watch a lot of the unders this year and they are not ready. Watched Harry Amass yesterday for the under 17 england he didn't play like he does for us.

This summer transfer window is so important, I think we'll see a few more youth players next year if he stays as he has been working with them. If EtH goes the only other coach I see using some of the talent is McKenna because he probably knows them.

Look Casemiro knows he can't play this football to drop him with an "injury" for the final is really telling, some players step up and some don't - some even for physical reasons can't make the grade or some need to work on the mental side. But Eth has not changed his belief.

I knew he'd change it for the one off and play Rashford with a counter.

He has said many times that the media don't understand football, that is not Eth just giving them pelters. He is tell them that there is more going on here, he knows he only needs 5 players to make this team top 2 (yeah I said it).

We might get away with 4 players, but our injuries are so so bad.

It's a shame the euros are on really, ideally we'd do it all before that starts -

PS, people talk about 4D chess, no one has spoken about "Sunday I go on holiday."

Switching the pressure and responsibility to SJR to do there job.

Wanting a manager to stay but understanding the reasons why they may be let go is more measured then absolute confidence that they are definitely going to fail and spending all your time focusing on everything that’s wrong with them.

I mean literally having the worst injuries in the entire league will obviously lower expectations.
If we have any injuries, it should lower expectations considerably.

If zero, then within 5 points off top 4 is the minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.