Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know more about the traditions and ideals of the club obviously. As, yknow, they’re the ones at the game supporting the lads.

I love how people jump on me for posts like this, but saying “ugh the match goers are accepting mediocrity” is apparently fine.

Why do you think the letter the “players” wrote to the fans specifically mentioned the fans from Manchester first? Why do you think they’ve all mentioned the support against Crystal Palace?

They have a connection to the club and the players and to look down on them supporting the club as “accepting mediocrity” is incredibly dumb.
The traditions of the club are part of the clubs PR. There’s a reason why United are a big as they are. You think it’s because the match going fans that United are known in all corners of the world?

It’s just more of your usual fan ranking bollocks you’ve made up to make yourself feel better. There’s lad that come from all over the world to watch United, spend their life savings to watch us play West Brom, and you’ve got the nerve to say they don’t get it.

Just because you forked up £800 at the start of the season doesn’t mean your opinion is worth more than someone else’s.

Funny you mention that actually. Where do you think most of those away fans at the Palace game in London were from? How many coaches went down? How many fans were at the game? Do the math.

These same ‘match going fans’ booed the team and the manager at multiple points this season and they’ll do the same next season before Ten Hag is sacked if he actually stays on that is.

We're all used to that since you post that all the time.

As for the 2nd bolded: You have no issues with ETH defending Overmars?

I mean, it’s not something Im a fan of but for someone to support people they’re friends with isn’t going to change my opinion of the manager. Loads of our players seem to like Greenwood’s posts and I like them too. Ten Hag has been dignified and reverent of our club since he’s been here.

WHY are people upset that people change their minds after we beat the best team in the world deservedly in an FA Cup Final?

“ha ha! You fools! I’m not like you, I don’t let trophies and emotions override my main footballing focus. Logic and numbers.”

Blah Blah Blah - Saturday was mint if you don’t at least consider keeping ETH after that you’re a wrongun.
Is this a joke? Obviously we shouldn't be letting emotions override logic and numbers in this decision :lol:

‘Accepting mediocrity’ is the latest catchphrase for those who are too impatient and emotionally immature to understand why we can’t just become CL champions overnight to throw at those who will support the club even when things are bad.
Its up their with ‘ETH cultists’ and ‘top red’. Pathetic
Because the only alternative to mediocrity is winning the CL :lol: Had we finished again in top 4 everyone would have been happy. Hell even 5 place with an actual style taking shape, that is not suicidal, would have been acceptable. But not 8th place and NEGATIVE goal difference. I have to correct myself , for a club of our stature and resource it's not even mediocre, it's downright poor.

Oh boohoo. If you come on after an FA cup final win and ask for the manager to be sacked you aren’t a proper fan and you don’t do football right.

feck knows why this is so controversial on here. Our matchgoing fans are class and influence how the rest of the club fanbase should behave.
It's controversial because you're wrong.

I've been to plenty of games. Our match going fans are no different. I've heard them say stuff that would get you banned on here TO OUR OWN PLAYERS.

WHY are people upset that people change their minds after we beat the best team in the world deservedly in an FA Cup Final?

“ha ha! You fools! I’m not like you, I don’t let trophies and emotions override my main footballing focus. Logic and numbers.”

Blah Blah Blah - Saturday was mint if you don’t at least consider keeping ETH after that you’re a wrongun.

I think the only way I would have changed my mind would be if we played city of the park in ETH's famed style.

But we didn't, we parked the bus took advantage of some schoolboy defending, scored 1 very good goal and than defended for our lives, against a below par city.

No doubting Saturday was mint and our game plan worked, but basing any long term ideas of a one off game is never a good idea.

The body of evidence from ETH's time here is what I go off, not a one off game.

:lol: It’s mental, isn’t it? And over half of that are key players for ten Hag. “These players” rhetoric just doesn’t work anymore.

I'm sure there will still be somebody still banging on about how these players got multiple managers sacked, 5 years from now if we haven't won the league.

We know it is yours after you posted:

“Okay, so you don't care about being associated with a murdering, oppressive regime. That says a hell of a lot about you more than anything else if you'd rather be associated with that to win a few football games. But lets forget about that for a moment, you'd also rather them turn us into something similar to PSG? And that rests well with you? fecking hell, just support City”

And then later spent hundreds of posts begging for Qatar to take us over.

You’re annoyed at me because your opinions constantly change. I stay true to my beliefs, not change them at the drop of a hat mate sorrt.
:lol: I can’t believe how well versed you are on people’s posting history, it’s fecking tragic.

And as always, you quote one post then make up a bunch of bollocks after it in a desperate attempt to make yourself not look like a WUM.

I've been to plenty of games. Our match going fans are no different. I've heard them say stuff that would get you banned on here TO OUR OWN PLAYERS.
Do you think when United play a game like Palace away , they should come off the pitch and say “Thank you to our loyal matchgoing fans who chant and support us no matter what and also to like the fan who is up in Belarus right now who also massively helps us out on a game like this”

Why is everyone assuming I’m a regular matchgoer. I managed to get to about ten games this year and that is it. I don’t have the money or the time to support the club home and away. Those that do obviously should be listened to and not belittled.

‘Accepting mediocrity’ is the latest catchphrase for those who are too impatient and emotionally immature to understand why we can’t just become CL champions overnight to throw at those who will support the club even when things are bad.
Its up their with ‘ETH cultists’ and ‘top red’. Pathetic
We all support the club for Christ sake, otherwise we wouldn't be taking such an active interest in this very thread. You guys just believe that a manager that's taken us the 8th with a negative goal difference should continue and other people believe that that's unacceptable.

:lol: I can’t believe how well versed you are on people’s posting history, it’s fecking tragic.

And as always, you quote one post then make up a bunch of bollocks after it in a desperate attempt to make yourself not look like a WUM.

I searched for posts made by me with your name in. There’s literally dozens of posts of me posting contradicting nonsense from you. I encourage others to do the same!

We accept mediocre wumming like we accept mediocrity on the pitch.

Some of the most kneejerk and idiotic takes about the club I've ever heard has been at matches.

From the way this lad is talking you would think that the Stretford End is made up only of football scholars who blindly support the club then go and do community work around Trafford centre when the game lets out.

I've also heard a lot of negative comments at the stadium about Ten Hag in literally the last 2 months. Maybe those weren't "real fans" and the criteria for being one is actually "agree with what wumminator thinks".

And a shitty judge of character or bereft of a moral compass
As much as I appreciate our match going fans for the support they show the team, they are also complicit in our mediocrity. After our 8th place finish they were signing the manager’s name and applauding the team, which is a complete joke. We make fun of clubs like Real Madrid because of how their fans turn on managers so quickly, but 14, about to be 15 European Cups tells a different story. There’s turning on your manager too soon, and there’s wilfully supporting mediocrity. Our fans often act like they are superior because they support the manager no matter what, but to what end? Because it’s never been rewarded with success.

There are a lot of us who have supported United our entire lives and either grew up somewhere else, or life took us elsewhere, but our voices don’t count? I agree that most internet fans are far too reactionary and knee jerk, but there are legions of die hard United fans who no longer, or never lived in Manchester, and we are as devoted to the club as any match going fan. Every time I want to see the team play I have to take time off from work and spend thousands to fly home and do so. But I do it. And whenever I do, I am shocked at how willing the match going fans are to put up with such shit on the pitch.
I agree.
The whole culture and ethos of our matchgoing fans is ‘support the team and staff no matter what’. We saw a massive example of this at Selhurst Park after the 4 nil drubbing. It’s fantastic for the team on the pitch and probably why we have the best away supporters in the league.
But ultimately I think it impairs their judgement.

I won’t mind if ten Hag stays but I think it’s the wrong decision, we’ve been woeful this season.
If he does stay I just pray he sticks to the compact midfield tactics.

Because the only alternative to mediocrity is winning the CL :lol: Had we finished again in top 4 everyone would have been happy. Hell even 5 place with an actual style taking shape, that is not suicidal, would have been acceptable. But not 8th place and NEGATIVE goal difference. I have to correct myself , for a club of our stature and resource it's not even mediocre, it's downright poor.
Just on this point, you’re basically saying 8 points is the difference between happiness and full fledged slating of the manager? We had the most first teamers out injured for the longest time (see Athletic article) and have had yet more off field issues this season, is it really such a huge gap when you add the FA cup on top that you can’t see a reason to continue?

I've not officially changed my vote but am leaning towards him staying.

The final was good and honestly, none of the options mentioned as his replacement fill me with any confidence or excitement that they would be better. He also seemingly clearly loves it here and wants to be here, meaning he will try his hardest to get it right

He also has a year left on his contract, so it's not like we are wedded to him

But the main reason I am leaning on him staying is the players from what we can see seems to like him. They haven't downed tools as obviously as they did before which to me means they do like and believe in him, but haven't pulled it off yet.

I would rather stick with him for half a season than go with someone who is no guarantee either

Last edited:
He's also had to deal with his own shortcomings and stubbornness yet deflects often.
Nobody is arguing that Ten Hag is perfect or that he hasn't made mistakes. However, considering everything, he has done enough to earn another year as our manager.

I've not officially changed my vote but am leaning towards him staying.

The final was good and honestly, none of the options mentioned as his replacement full me with any excitement that they would be better. He also seemingly clearly loves it here and wants to be here, meaning he will try his hardest to get it right

He also has a year left on his contract, so it's not like we are wedded to him

But the main reason I am leaning on him staying is the players from what we can see seems to like him. They haven't down tools as obviously as they did before which to me means they do like and believe in him, but haven't pulled it off yet

Great post- love it!

The point there is, why are you asking me if I have the time and energy to search for your bad posts when it’s obvious it takes longer for you to type your bad posts.

I click the search bar. Type “cross” and it’ll auto fill to your name. I then go on “latest postings” and find your bad posts and quote them back.

That takes a lot less time to do than write literally over 10,000 posts in literally years difference. That’s the point I’m trying to make.

After McKenna has decided to stay, it's an easy decision in my view. So I say preach.

I agree that ESPN coverage and punditry is about the worst in the business, but it’s smoke and mirrors to discount the validity of what he was saying just because of where he said it.

The fact is, Ten Hag used yesterdays game to say that having everyone fit, the game showed “what the team was capable of”, and that they were finally able to “play football they way we wanted to”. Well I bloody well hope not. What it showed, if anything was that with everyone fit he was capable of putting a game plan together that could produce a result, but the way we played and how we got that result was surely, surely, not indicative of the type of football we want to play.

This is apparently also a manager that can only produce when all his players are fit - if you listen to him - and can only produce when Martinez is fit - if you listen to the Caf - which is another huge red flag. A good manager has to be able to produce at least a competent performance during an injury crisis, even if no one is expecting you to perform at your best.

It’s also worth remembering, and I pointed this out earlier, to which no one had a reply, but at the start of the season - his second season - we lost 6 of our first 10 games with a nearly full fit squad. That kind of horrendous loss rate continued throughout the season, and was later explained away by some as the result of an injury crisis, but we came out the gate this season losing every other game. Spurs, Arsenal. Bayern, Palace, Brighton and Galatasaray, all turned us over in the first 10 games. We scored 15 and conceded 18 in that period. That run of 4 wins and 6 losses in the first ten games also included the opening day 1-0 over Wolves, where they tore us to pieces and had a stonewall penalty not given, and a very lucky 3-2 win over ten man Forest. So it could have been even worse.

Our form had been dismal since the Carabao cup final win last season, and has stayed pretty consistently poor regardless of personnel.

I think a lot of people, myself certainly, would be happy to give him another season if there were signs of actual progression in the team. There were a fair few people at the end of last season who were ringing alarms bells and saying he was shit, and I very vigorously defended him. I saw enough last season to see he had us moving in the right direction, and put the late season slump down to fatigue. Fatigue from competing on so many fronts (a consequence of success). But we came out of the gates this season looking completely clueless and disorganised with a non-sensical tactical approach. Almost every fan on this forum has been screaming for nearly the entire season about the absurdity of our midfield set up. Yet we win the FA cup with a park the bus performance, and suddenly people are all “give him time”.

I’d LOVE to give him time, IF he had shown any signs this season that he was building something, that he was moving us towards a clear style of play. But he simply hasn’t. He’s persisted with a baffling non-midfield set up, resulting in a record amount of goals and shots on goal conceded, as well as our lowest ever PL finish; and then in the final weeks of the season abandoned that approach for an ultra conservative 4-2-4-0 to win a cup. So what the giddy feck is the plan for next season? Park the bus? Back to tactical seppuku? Something new we haven’t seen yet, meaning we’ve built no foundation over his first two years? No, I’m sorry, but whichever way I shake it, he just doesn’t cut the mustard. He’s developed nothing in the last two years that can be built on. We are basically starting from scratch next season, with or without him, because there is nothing about the way we’ve set up this season that is even remotely usable for next season. That is damning.

The two things I will give him credit for, because a bad manager can do good things, is his consistent commitment to bringing through youth players in a meaningful way (vital for a United manager), and the way he’s handled disciplinary issues - which I fundamentally agree with. The problem is, if you are going to rule with an iron fist - especially in modern football where players are all over paid prima Donna’s - you have to back it up by being successful on the pitch. Otherwise it just doesn’t work.

I don't discount what they say because they're at ESPN, I discount it because it's the same agenda throughout. I'll still engage in debate about potential manager replacements, mind, and I don't see Erik ten Hag as amazing or clueless, so there's a lot of nuance and context.

I don't think he used the FA Cup final to say this is what he can do with a full squad at all. I think it was a tailor made tactical plan that worked to absolute perfection. And I suspect that even after a good summer window and decent availability of key players over the course of another season that would be a similar tactical plan against them again, because they are infinitely superior as a possession side against anyone else really.

I've said numerous times on here, as well as others, that Martinez is absolutely fundamental to the way we set up. You can say that's not a healthy position to be in, but he took over a team that was radically different from a team suited to his style of play. And it would have been that way for most promising managers at the time too. He more or less made two major calls in rectifying that by not pandering to Ronnie who then had a fit, and he sold Dave who needed to go. He also tried to help Sancho find his way, with incredible patience, but Sancho is not mature enough to appreciate it.

Last summer was pretty shite in terms of squad building as the club had briefed three times the players available and their desired prices for each, and then couldn't shift them which is far from an ideal situation to be in in terms of the dressing room. Thankfully, Maguire and McTominay still performed to their level this season, but I think the former doesn't suit our tactics at all and the latter is just not good enough. Can't complain about their professionalism. Some player or players did brief against the media a few times this season using that horrendous piece of shit Luckhurst and the media was really on Erik's case throughout this season. You can add the Greenwood situation and the whole uncertainty of the takeover, which affects not just Erik, but the playing staff, the coaching staff, and everyone at the club. So quite tumultuous really.

And we had that stupid money-grab pre-season which I sincerely hope is a thing of the past, as it set us back, instead of getting us ready. A Glazer special.

The midfield situation is a valid criticism and I had the same criticism, and likely most if not all supporters. He chose to play the percentages thinking this was the best way to not revert to a low block and play on the counter which was maybe the most pragmatic solution given we had Shaw, Martinez, a fit Casemiro missing, a Bruno in poor form, a lazy Rashford, no left back, a rapidly ageing Eriksen, an injured all season Mount, and only one striker, who was missing through injury twice during the season and at the start of the season.

But I feel the comparison with other clubs and injuries is a bit misguided. Chelsea had a player who - like Bruno under Ole - singlehandedly dragged them on. They also have more depth than we have. Arsenal had hardly any major injuries. Did Liverpool struggle with a similar amount of injuries to key players all season? I didn't notice (don't watch them unless we're playing them). City obviously have the best manager around and are so well drilled over years and years that they can carry quite a few injuries. I don't think they suffered anywhere close to what we did. Villa, who obviously have a very good manager but much lower expectations, nowhere near the same scrutiny, did they struggle with a similar amount of injuries to key players? Granted, Newcastle did suffer some significant injuries, and it showed in their results and performances over the season.

Onana had a mare for the first few months, something that was impossible to foresee given his career to date, but he's coming good now. The CL fiasco was both due to his poor performances and in Denmark we were much the better side until that Rashford red card (still think that was harsh).

To me the question now isn't whether it would make sense to keep ETH and he has free rein to do as he pleases, it's do we keep ETH with a new structure in place. He won't be identifying the talent, he'll be greatly supported by first in class people whose role is ensuring the cohesion of all levels of our footballing teams, and the implementation of a long-term vision.

Did you know we tried to sign a forward in January but couldn't due to FFP? He was having to ensure Hojlund stayed fit for as long as possible, whilst having a woefully out of form Rashford. I mean, there are so many factors for this season being the way it was. And yet, we are in the Europa now and won the FA Cup against the best team on the planet.

For me, the right way to go about this is giving him a fresh contract with (unpublicised) clauses that require a certain minimums to be met, which is a get out of jail free card should things not progress, meanwhile McKenna waits in the wings should the call come. Puchel and Poch can continue their plateauing elsewhere and Thomas Frank can keep dreaming.

Last edited:
We accept mediocre wumming like we accept mediocrity on the pitch.

You have over 1,000 posts in this thread. 1,000 posts complaining about a manager who might be managing your football team next year and has won trophies, played youth, acted in a dignified way and tried his hardest.

Just on this point, you’re basically saying 8 points is the difference between happiness and full fledged slating of the manager? We had the most first teamers out injured for the longest time (see Athletic article) and have had yet more off field issues this season, is it really such a huge gap when you add the FA cup on top that you can’t see a reason to continue?
8 points is massive difference . And I forgot to add the disastrous CL campaign. For which injuries do not cut it as an explanation. Not that they do for PL either but they could have mattered if we were actually fighting for CL places. Getting embarrassed by random teams, losing with 3, 4 goals, regularly, also at OT, is not acceptable for me injuries or not.

Nobody is arguing that Ten Hag is perfect or that he hasn't made mistakes. However, considering everything, he has done enough to earn another year as our manager.

Is "doing enough" really the standard of this football club, coming off one of our worst league campaigns in history. Also another year no matter what? What if we have a disastrous first month of two, do you cling onto him even then?

Is "doing enough" really the standard of this football club, coming off one of our worst league campaigns in history. Also another year no matter what? What if we have a disastrous first month of two, do you cling onto him even then?

What if a new manager has a disastrous first month or two?

Sack him when it is mathematically impossible to collect 40 points.

What's interesting here is that the Glazers pandered to the lowest common denominator of fans (code for the thick ones) whenever they wanted a manager gone while ignoring the more intelligent critique that the club was being starved of investment and football leadership while it was in effect being asset stripped by rentier capitalists. They knew that as long as the fans were given their ritual sacrifices they would keep paying irrespective of results, and that's what they cared about. The product became the drama, not the football.

Now we have INEOS, who claim they're going to do the opposite, and the LCD fans are screaming for Ten Hag's head too. What will INEOS do? They will do the same as the Glazers did and sack him, because Ten Hag isn't a hill worth dying on.

Let’s not pretend that we won’t have finished 8th if we had a fully fit squad all season. ETH has already shown what he can do with a half decent team. He beat city with his first choice CB pairing who wasn’t even fully fit by the way. What if he starts next season of well? Will people still want him gone?

What if a new manager has a disastrous first month or two?

He's not come off the back of finishing 8th, with a minus goal difference and 14 losses. So will be afforded more leeway, but even then the idea of sacking managers that are doing a shit job really isn't as difficult as some people seem to think is is. It's not a marriage.

It's a beautiful day for him. Caught some big fishes.

I’m going bed now. The idea I’m Wumming but the people who have over 1,000 posts in a thread are normal and rational individuals is weird to me. Couldn’t be me dedicating all that time to hating someone who has just won us the FA Cup .

Status
Not open for further replies.