Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another possibility - they may well interview possible candidates and come up with a conclusion that they don't fit the job leaving them sticking by EtH until next year. Judging by the what's available, it could be well be.
I'm not sure exactly who we'd be waiting for next year that will suddenly meet our requirements?

De Zerbi, Mckenna, Tuchel, Poch, Xavi, Amorim are all likely available to us this summer if we want them, if we can't find a suitable candidate from them then we're probably setting our expectations too high.

The amount of rolling back journalists have done today is mad.

This morning he was definitely going, by lunch time it was a possibility he would, and now said journalists are saying his chances have increased that he will stay. They are just guessing like the rest of us.

Yes, he's made plenty of mistakes this season but I would rather give him another year to prove himself than see this bunch of players outlast another manager.

ETH now knows which players are just not reliable / good enough to move us forward and will hopefully replace with better players.

The idea of a new manager coming in and trying to get the vast majority of these players to turn things around is just a big no for me.

All 8 of them?

Would you be happy if Utd played Ajax style football? Because the last person who tried to do so got hounded for the football being "dull" (LVG).
LVG got hounded out because we scored 49 goals in the league, therefore costing us top 4.

If ETH is only capable of implementing a possession based game that results in 49 league goals per season then sure, I don't want that here.

But I would expect there are managers in the world who are able to coach a team to both pass a football and score goals.

United fans want change everywhere, except the manager. He's a good lad, who's had it tough and was let down by everything and everyone.
Because we are smart enough to understand that while change is necessary in many areas of the club, supporting Ten Hag, who has demonstrated commitment and professionalism in a challenging circumstance, is crucial for maintaining stability and continuity at the club.

I’ve wanted him out for a few months now, it’s been a dreadful watch all season and the end of last but for some reason and I don’t even know why, I find myself wanting him to stay. It’s fecking weird. I think it’s because the names like potter, Tuchel, de zerbi, Poch don’t appeal to me at all!!!

Please tell me you're joking?

:lol: we're fecking cooked, aren't we. I think I've given up hope it this is true.

No I am pretty sure that if Ineos decide keep Ten Hag the first two expenditures will be:

1. £10m on activating his extra year
2. £21m making Amrabat deal permanent

Ten Hag was an unknown bum when he signed :lol:

feck me you're a bad poster.

Yes, Ten Hag is very much an upcoming/unproven manager/potentially chancer, and based on this season's evidence he's a bum in my book.

There, gave you the attention you wanted. Hopefully that holds you for a while.

What a mess already. INEOS don't fill me with confidence with such poor decision making.
People are being dramatic. The season finished 2 days ago, and today's a national holiday. There's no decision been made so I'm not sure how decision making can be poor.

If it takes them a few days to announce to confirm the manager is staying, or to appoint a new manager, it's not a big deal.

What is important is they get the decision correct. Likely we won't know if their decision is correct for another couple of years after we've assessed how the team is progressing under ETH or the new manager.

What’s the evidence that INEOS is feeling the pressure? The market moves. If you haven’t committed to the manager staying or going, you have to interview McKenna before his exploding offer (I completely made this up to emphasize the point that the market is moving) vanishes. And you also have to talk to Tuchel and Poch, who are inevitably telling you that they’re not going to sit around waiting for your end of season review (made up again). The media gets wind of that, crafts its narrative, and now you sit down to do your review and apparently are shitting your pants because of fan pressure. The market moves!

Based on these stories tonight about the Final having an impact on the decision.

I don't believe for a second that Ineos hadn't made a decision before the final. When the stories were everywhere saying he's being sacked, despite the poor timing I could absolutely believe it, everyone did because we all knew it was coming. Yet, look at the stories now. Pretty sure even ETH himself said they'd carried out the review already. Now it just seems like they're hiding behind this review because they're lacking conviction and shitting their pants over the optics of it all.

Let's say even if it was true that they were only reviewing after the final though, for an indefinite timescale as reported, what sort of stupid plan is that anyway? Were they hoping to let it rumble for weeks and hope that, in the event he's sacked, there's somebody just available to fill the position? I don't believe that was the plan, no matter how they're trying to spin it right now. It's just too bad a plan.

Last edited:
Because we are smart enough to understand that while change is necessary in many areas of the club, supporting Ten Hag, who has demonstrated commitment and professionalism in a challenging circumstance, is crucial for maintaining stability and continuity at the club.

"Demonstrate commitment and professionalism". The smart litmus test for the managerial position at Manchester United?

Yes, Ten Hag is very much an upcoming/unproven manager/potentially chancer, and based on this season's evidence he's a bum in my book.

There, gave you the attention you wanted. Hopefully that holds you for a while.
Chancers and 'unknown bums' dont win cups in virtually every single season they've managed. Atrocious post, glad I pulled you up on it.

"Demonstrate commitment and professionalism". The smart litmus test for the managerial position at Manchester United?
It’s a shame he didn’t demonstrate the actual qualities that got him the job. You know, winning a lot more football matches than he loses

This fan base never learns.

Emotionally charged backing of a manager that has completely under performed.

Absolute nutters you'll want him out two months into the season after he's signed another 200m worth of duds.

Ridiculous and embarrassing.

Based on these stories tonight about the Final having an impact on the decision.

I don't believe for a second that Ineos hadn't made a decision before the final. When the stories were everywhere saying he's being sacked, despite the poor timing I could absolutely believe it, everyone did because we all knew it was coming. Yet, look at the stories now. Pretty sure even ETH himself said they'd carried out the review already. Now it just seems like they're hiding behind this review because they're lacking conviction and shitting their pants over the optics of it all.

Let's at even if it was true that they were only reviewing after the final though, for an indefinite timescale as reported, what sort of stupid plan is that anyway? We're they hoping to let it rumble for weeks and hope that, in the event he's sacked, there's somebody just available to fill the position? I don't believe that was the plan, no matter how they're trying to spin it right now. It's just too bad a plan.

Normal practice in football clubs is to contact potential replacements at the same time as you undergo a review to determine if you want to keep the manager or not. You do not wait for a decision to keep in touch with potential replacements. Our targets will be aware of the process, likely the time-frame and that there is a possibility that the position opens up - and that they could be called in to an interview.

No I am pretty sure that if Ineos decide keep Ten Hag the first two expenditures will be:

Retaining Amrabat would mark a promising beginning for INEOS. Amrabat could play a pivotal role in our team's future success.

Our midfield for next season
  • Kobbie
  • Joao Neves
  • Amrabat
  • Mount
  • Bruno
  • McTomminay
  • Toby Collyer

At least we have time to recall all the league and CL games.

"That Bournemouth 3-0 at OT, ooofff"

Season reviews tend to be fairly large in scope. Each department have their own review of how the season has gone, what challenges they have faced and what prioritisations and changes they need to do for next season - usually with data provided from analytics that also has to produce that data in a way that is easy to understand. The heads of all of the departments then meet to discuss how each of the departments have done, and review how the club as a whole has done with their targets, what they want to achieve next and what each department finds important. Each department have their own meetings, then the department heads have meetings to coalesce everything and try to see the larger picture. THEN it goes to the decision makers. It takes time.

The goal is to figure out what you did well, what you can do better, how you need to prepare for next season and what you need long term, so that decision makers can adjust budgets and implement changes. Often issues can overlap and serious problems in one department might be down to issues in a different department, or be down to how information is shared between them.

Injuries for instance can be down to coaching, poor visualisation of data, an inefficient reporting structure, leadership issues, staff issues, external disruptions, poor facilities, poor data gathering, poor cooperation between departments, individual errors, issues with nutrition, issues with recovery routines, issues with load management, bad sports science, over cautious practice, over-zealous practice, lack of squad depth, poor follow up of players - and more.

Most of that work will have been done already, but it is still a sizeable job to coalesce everything you have learned into an understandable and actionable plan. As I understood it from Ten Hag - the coaching staff and the First team had their meetings before the cup final.

TLDR: To answer your question; I assume they will be taking the information from all of the different departments through meetings with the various department heads (which they did with the first team last week), before finally bringing it to a series of meetings between Brailsford (standing in for Ashworth), Wilcox, Bell and Blanc (standing in for Berrada) to assess the strategy going forward. One of the elements of that list will be the managers position. I reckon they spend 3 days on those meetings alone.

We were told the review started 5 weeks ago. Not saying that's enough time, but on the face of it, it seems ample time.

Retaining Amrabat would mark a promising beginning for INEOS. Amrabat could play a pivotal role in our team's future success.

Our midfield for next season
  • Kobbie
  • Joao Neves
  • Amrabat
  • Mount
  • Bruno
  • McTomminay
  • Toby Collyer
Are you winding us up?

Chancers and 'unknown bums' dont win cups in virtually every single season they've managed. Atrocious post, glad I pulled you up on it.

It's cute that you think we hold the same standards when all evidence suggests otherwise.

For clarification: Ferguson's pedigree when he landed and Ten Hag's pedigree are not similar. Someone more established will naturally be given more time/leeway than a relatively unknown bum/potentially chancer/upcoming manager. On this season's evidence - Ten Hag is a bum in my book. He doesn't have to be one in yours (I don't care. You quoted me).

Yes, he's made plenty of mistakes this season but I would rather give him another year to prove himself than see this bunch of players outlast another manager.

ETH now knows which players are just not reliable / good enough to move us forward and will hopefully replace with better players.

The idea of a new manager coming in and trying to get the vast majority of these players to turn things around is just a big no for me.
Do you guys not get tired of making stuff up at this point?

Normal practice in football clubs is to contact potential replacements at the same time as you undergo a review to determine if you want to keep the manager or not. You do not wait for a decision to keep in touch with potential replacements. Our targets will be aware of the process, likely the time-frame and that there is a possibility that the position opens up - and that they could be called in to an interview.

Yeah that's true. But with so many other clubs in the market, it was surely a risky decision to expect them to wait around for something that might not happen. Bayern, Brighton, Chelsea, Liverpool, Milan, Juventus all seem to be moving much quicker than us. Yet we're being told that we could have weeks still to wait for a conclusion. That's not normal.

It's cute that you think we hold the same standards when all evidence suggests otherwise.

For clarification: Ferguson's pedigree when he landed and Ten Hag's pedigree are not similar. Someone more established will naturally be given more time/leeway than a relatively unknown bum/potentially chancer/upcoming manager. On this season's evidence - Ten Hag is a bum in my book. He doesn't have to be one in yours (I don't care. You quoted me).
Fergie's pedigree is irrelevant to a statement that Ten Hag was an unknown bum or a chancer. Chancers and bums don't win silverware in almost every year they've managed.

This is objective, not even some sort of subjective standard evaluation. You made a shit exaggerative post and you've been called out. As you'd say, "don't let me catch you doing it again" :lol:

By the way it seems ETH already has his first signing of the summer sorted.

Yep, you guessed it, permanent deal for Amrabat. Because he played well once in one season.
Feck me I hope you're bullshitting. 30m out of the transfer budget for a player with two good performances under his belt in over 20 appearances. That's our window cooked.

You're correct, but it's worth mentioning the unprecedented magnitude of off-field challenges that Ten Hag has had to deal with, which are beyond the typical scope of a manager's responsibilities. Despite the challenges, his ability to maintain focus and guide the team speaks volumes about his leadership qualities.

With other words, paying those extra 10m should be a pretty safe investment. If it doesn't work out, sell him for 12.

You basically just confirmed my post about bias, you're a leftist who likes the Guardian :lol:

You're showing your own bias with such craic, as ever.

And what makes it worse is that Ineos are clearly feeling the pressure. I honestly thought the take over would be an end to the chronic decision making at the club, but it's starting to feel like just the next chapter.

Ineos likely thought sacking EtH would be a lot easier if we lost the cup final but they've been supplanted. They need to make a decision and stick with it, but, crucially, the 'give him time' narrative will fail.

It's a fillip for EtH's cause and no mistake. Mind you, winning trophies ought to be.

We're fecked if he is staying. Shite unsuccesfull and boring football and Ineos bottling their first massive decision, which doesnt bode well for the future.

INEOS clearly don’t think he is the right man for the job, they need to just get on with it now. Sticking with a manager they don’t really want will only result in him being sacked after an inevitable poor run at some point next season.

Especially when they dont seem to have even been a fan when Jose was managing, since he's also won 2 trophies.

Oh please dont tell me you're gullible enough to think a) the review hasn't already been done and b) it takes a week to summarise a review.

Why are they pre-empting this mythical review tapping up other managers?
And you’re gullible for believing everything you see. If it’s already been done then he’d have been sacked already. LVG was sacked like a day or 2 after the FA cup final.

Status
Not open for further replies.