Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another possibility - they may well interview possible candidates and come up with a conclusion that they don't fit the job leaving them sticking by EtH until next year. Judging by the what's available, it could be well be.

They're spot on. I can't believe there's so many fans out there that want them to make decisions based on fan opinion. feck was the point in going out and hiring all these new people then? Let them do their jobs ffs.

But when ETH is fecking up royally in October you know they'll be back in this thread ranting about how we cant judge him until we've had a full summer under Ashworth.

So the "these players" argument is still a thing. Cup win = Ten Hag's masterclass. Horrible PL and CL campaigns = these players.

What a mess already. INEOS don't fill me with confidence with such poor decision making.

May as well still have Woodward in charge if you think the owners should make a decision based on the letter written by a sentimental fan. It's all getting a bit silly now.

It makes you think why so many fans were so bothered about us getting a new football director and creating a new structure at the club if they just want United to make decisions based on fan opinion. It's ridiculous.
It’s absolutely mind blowing. Change their minds more often than @rimaldo changes his jocks. Though that’s probably saying something

Yes, he's made plenty of mistakes this season but I would rather give him another year to prove himself than see this bunch of players outlast another manager.

ETH now knows which players are just not reliable / good enough to move us forward and will hopefully replace with better players.

The idea of a new manager coming in and trying to get the vast majority of these players to turn things around is just a big no for me.

This squad is largely Ten Hag's.

United fans are the worst. Complain for years about us needing a proper football structure. Finally get that pretty much in place. Manager has a really bad season, at which point his backing is at an all time low amongst supporters. Wins an FA Cup by parking the bus. Fans lobby and try to pressure the board/structure to keep him based off one game. You couldn't script it.

And what makes it worse is that Ineos are clearly feeling the pressure. I honestly thought the take over would be an end to the chronic decision making at the club, but it's starting to feel like just the next chapter.

What’s the evidence that INEOS is feeling the pressure? The market moves. If you haven’t committed to the manager staying or going, you have to interview McKenna before his exploding offer (I completely made this up to emphasize the point that the market is moving) vanishes. And you also have to talk to Tuchel and Poch, who are inevitably telling you that they’re not going to sit around waiting for your end of season review (made up again). The media gets wind of that, crafts its narrative, and now you sit down to do your review and apparently are shitting your pants because of fan pressure. The market moves!

It’s absolutely mind blowing. Change their minds more often than @rimaldo changes his jocks. Though that’s probably saying something

if you were as educated as me then you’d know that they start to clean themselves after you’ve pumped 20 loads into ‘em.

What a mess already. INEOS don't fill me with confidence with such poor decision making.
This is their trial period and they're capitulating badly. Bowing to fan pressure isn't a sign of strong leadership surely even Ten Hag inners can see this?

United fans want change everywhere, except the manager. He's a good lad, who's had it tough and was let down by everything and everyone.
Sacking is bad, we're better than that!

Also, sack all the players, the medical staff, the assistant coaches, and the tea lady!

I get fans being prisoners of the moment. It's what fans do (United fans especially). But when/if the people in charge start doing the same - trouble ahead

It's honestly mental. The fans criticised Woodward for his decision making, but I think each and every one of them would have made such stupid, kneejerk decisions. This poll alone was at 80% for the sack at the end of the PL season, and look at the swing after one game! If we'd have played like City and felt like we finally had a breakthrough/glimpse of the potential, I'd sightly understand. But when we played textbook Oleball, something we've established isn't sustainable, then what does it matter?

I feel like I'm in an alternative reality when it comes to ETH, because all of the criticism laid at LVG (ineffective attack), Jose (falls out with players, deluded comments, gets results with negative football and can't go toe to toe with the big teams and plays like the underdog) & Oles (relies on individual moment, Oleball tactics, poor signings, no control over games) door are things he's managed also. Yet the fans want more, and can't really give a good reason why he's the right man in the long term. The only reason is he's won two cups - one of which was a piss easy run of home games, the other was marred by dismal displays against two lower league teams, one of which we scraped by with the skin of our teeth. He's been absolutely nowhere near in the trophies that matter, and has never delivered them in a relevant league either, so where does this faith come from? Where were these people, that are now desperate to keep him, throughout the rest of the season? There's one or two (I won't name them) who stuck by him for a while, but then turned and said that he should probably go, that are now firmly back behind him. One game, and they're suddenly changing their minds again. If it's true that Ineos are being swayed by this game then we're going nowhere.

Sacking is bad, we're better than that!

Also, sack all the players, the medical staff, the assistant coaches, and the tea lady!

I can live with that. My issue is with "The manager hasn't had a structure to support him" but also "The structure needs to follow open letters and popular votes."

Dear INEOS

Congratulations, only in the door and you’ve already won the FA cup! Unfortunately you’ve already inherited your first big decision, ‘sack or back’ Erik Ten Hag?

You may receive advice, pleas and begging letters from fans, ex staff and media but ignore them. You put together a team of experts for this very reason - so that you can logically think about your decision, without emotion and driven by data (which hopefully encapsulates more than FA cup final day).

Make your decision, explain it to us and we will back you whatever may come.

However one thing we all agree on, nobody wants Gareth Southgate as Manchester United manager!

Best of luck with your decision and achieving your summer targets. Looking forward to the new season.

Kind regards
Keir Starmer

This will be my generation's Fergie moment. In a few years I'll be sitting on my balcony overlooking a calming sea, watching the sun set, and a little voice will say;

"Grandpa Pidgy, is it true that United were going to sack Ten Hag 25 years ago?"

And I'll chuckle, smile lovingly as I look towards his big augmented ladybird eyes, and say "Yes, Tarquin X Æ A-Xii Skibidi Pigeon Jr, but nobody knew he was about to win the Champions League twenty times in a row. Now, enjoy the rest of your birthday party - you only turn six once! And in the morning, Private, get your fecking lazy ungrateful arse on that troop carrier and don't come back until the French - and the rest of those Pee-ew EU cnuts - are crying for their mothers through slit throats."

I'm telling you - just wait - you'll see that I'm right.
:lol: :lol:

By the way it seems ETH already has his first signing of the summer sorted.

Yep, you guessed it, permanent deal for Amrabat. Because he played well once in one season.
4 times, actually. Do not exaggerate.

After agreeing to buy 27% of United shares instead of the speculated 100%, I began to doubt whether INEOS is the right ownership group to lead United back to its former glory days. Their questionable decision making process regarding Ten Hag future (whether to retain or dismiss him), only reinforce my concerns. Moreover, considering Ratcliffe's age of 71, it's likely that his children will assume leadership roles at United in just 3-4 years, mirroring the situation with the Glazers. It appears that Ratcliffe may not be the transformative owner capable of restoring United to its former greatness, but sadly a continuation of the Glazer era, “Glazers No. 2”. :mad:

You want me to explain why someone with better pedigree gets afforded more time and leeway than a relatively unknown/bum/potentially chancer? :confused:
Ten Hag was an unknown bum when he signed :lol:

feck me you're a bad poster.

For the first time, thinking there's a good chance he stays. Will just have to laugh tbh.

If they have decided to sack him and looking for new candidates then they should announce the sacking and get it done with. This is not fair on ETH.

I wonder who is part of this review

Normally I assume it would be Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox. But Wilcox is the only one in the building. Why would he need a whole week to debate with himself?

Season reviews tend to be fairly large in scope. Each department have their own review of how the season has gone, what challenges they have faced and what prioritisations and changes they need to do for next season - usually with data provided from analytics that also has to produce that data in a way that is easy to understand. The heads of all of the departments then meet to discuss how each of the departments have done, and review how the club as a whole has done with their targets, what they want to achieve next and what each department finds important. Each department have their own meetings, then the department heads have meetings to coalesce everything and try to see the larger picture. THEN it goes to the decision makers. It takes time.

The goal is to figure out what you did well, what you can do better, how you need to prepare for next season and what you need long term, so that decision makers can adjust budgets and implement changes. Often issues can overlap and serious problems in one department might be down to issues in a different department, or be down to how information is shared between them.

Injuries for instance can be down to coaching, poor visualisation of data, an inefficient reporting structure, leadership issues, staff issues, external disruptions, poor facilities, poor data gathering, poor cooperation between departments, individual errors, issues with nutrition, issues with recovery routines, issues with load management, bad sports science, over cautious practice, over-zealous practice, lack of squad depth, poor follow up of players - and more.

Most of that work will have been done already, but it is still a sizeable job to coalesce everything you have learned into an understandable and actionable plan. As I understood it from Ten Hag - the coaching staff and the First team had their meetings before the cup final.

TLDR: To answer your question; I assume they will be taking the information from all of the different departments through meetings with the various department heads (which they did with the first team last week), before finally bringing it to a series of meetings between Brailsford (standing in for Ashworth), Wilcox, Bell and Blanc (standing in for Berrada) to assess the strategy going forward. One of the elements of that list will be the managers position. I reckon they spend 3 days on those meetings alone.

Yeah you are not wrong. When he said he cannot play like Ajax here was a massive red flag for me and was the point I went full Ten Hag out. He needs to go back on that and I dont think he wants to.
Well that's just a complete misinterpretation of what he said. He said he won't play the Ajax style here because he doesn't have the players for it, and that style isn't in the Utd DNA. He didn't say he doesn't want to play progressive football.

Would you be happy if Utd played Ajax style football? Because the last person who tried to do so got hounded for the football being "dull" (LVG).

Same as Pep, people say they want Pep here but he would be crucified for playing City's style of boring, metronomic football here.

Yes, he's made plenty of mistakes this season but I would rather give him another year to prove himself than see this bunch of players outlast another manager.

ETH now knows which players are just not reliable / good enough to move us forward and will hopefully replace with better players.

The idea of a new manager coming in and trying to get the vast majority of these players to turn things around is just a big no for me.
100%

Well that's just a complete misinterpretation of what he said. He said he won't play the Ajax style here because he doesn't have the players for it, and that style isn't in the Utd DNA. He didn't say he doesn't want to play progressive football.

Would you be happy if Utd played Ajax style football? Because the last person who tried to do so got hounded for the football being "dull" (LVG).

Same as Pep, people say they want Pep here but he would be crucified for playing City's style of boring, metronomic football here.

The same style that he played at Ajax. Thats not what we have played this season.

It's honestly mental. The fans criticised Woodward for his decision making, but I think each and every one of them would have made such stupid, kneejerk decisions. This poll alone was at 80% for the sack at the end of the PL season, and look at the swing after one game! If we'd have played like City and felt like we finally had a breakthrough/glimpse of the potential, I'd sightly understand. But when we played textbook Oleball, something we've established isn't sustainable, then what does it matter?

I feel like I'm in an alternative reality when it comes to ETH, because all of the criticism laid at LVG (ineffective attack), Jose (falls out with players, deluded comments, gets results with negative football and can't go toe to toe with the big teams and plays like the underdog) & Oles (relies on individual moment, Oleball tactics, poor signings, no control over games) door are things he's managed also. Yet the fans want more, and can't really give a good reason why he's the right man in the long term. The only reason is he's won two cups - one of which was a piss easy run of home games, the other was marred by dismal displays against two lower league teams, one of which we scraped by with the skin of our teeth. He's been absolutely nowhere near in the trophies that matter, and has never delivered them in a relevant league either, so where does this faith come from? Where were these people, that are now desperate to keep him, throughout the rest of the season? There's one or two (I won't name them) who stuck by him for a while, but then turned and said that he should probably go, that are now firmly back behind him. One game, and they're suddenly changing their minds again. If it's true that Ineos are being swayed by this game then we're going nowhere.

I would go one step further. I'd argue that the Glazers (particularly Woodward) have failed over the last decade because they were constantly preoccupied with pleasing fans. The truth is that most of the managers we hired should have been fired considerably earlier than anticipated. If logic had prevailed, Ole would not have been employed in 2020, but fan and media pressure forced him to do so. When you consider how passive our fanbase is without discussing transfers, it's evident why we continued failing. We kept appointing duds, constantly attempting to keep the fans onside by consistently giving them what they want, until the fans discovered that the manager was a dud and were in support of his removal; rinse and repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.