Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the polls I've seen on twitter are overwhelmingly ten Hag in but (hopefully) I don't see INEOS giving in to fan pressure.

:lol: :lol:

No go against the fan pressure and risk pissing off the majority of the fans base from the off.

Deary me you crazy folk.

I never said I did. The majority of people I've spoken in real life want him to stay, but it's completely the opposite way round on this forum. That's all I'm saying.
Actually it’s not the poll say 52% to 48%
I was at the game and this percentage is about right in general as well

Said it yesterday and I can say it again today. A lot of back tracking from journalists again today. I'm going to call the whole sacking story BS that was just copy and pasted for clickbaits.

Friday he was 100% gone on Sunday

Yesterday he is at risk, undecided, could be

Now people like McKenna who was apparently a main target is staying, and some journos are just throwing any name of a manager out of a job onto the apparent short list - which is essentially an article of a then saying actually we have no idea.

It's a badge of honour.

If fans ran the club you'd end up offering your interim manager a full time contract and ripping up your succession plan because he won one game of football, or u-turning on a long planned decision to sack a dismally performing manager because he won one game of football.

Oh.

Yeah our fanbase likes to be seen as different so will always back managers to the hilt

Don’t forget the 2-0 away at Newcastle last season where they easily should’ve scored 4 or the 1-1 draw away at Brentford this season where we also should’ve conceded a minimum of 4.

We’ve had our asses handed to us in games post SAF but no manager has received as many spankings as EtH has for us. When he gets it wrong it goes horrendously bad and it’s not a rare occurrence.

I give him that game both Eriksen and Casemiro were out. The argument made by people is that we were particularly good when ETH could pick whoever he wanted, so two absent players is too much.

What a difference 48 hours makes. Sobering up to the realization we're keeping a manager who got us 8th with a negative goal difference. How has Ineos fecked this up?

I never said I did. The majority of people I've spoken in real life want him to stay, but it's completely the opposite way round on this forum. That's all I'm saying.
This is what my initial post was meant to imply. I'm based in ireland so a little removed local feelings in Manchester so I was very surprised to not meet a single fan at wembley and around it Saturday or Sunday that wanted him gone before and after the game. In my group of united supporting mates here in Ireland none of us want him gone (yet) .

Soke of this is down to him just being what seems like a decent human being and how he carry himself as the manager of Man Utd.

Personally I am sick of the resetting every 2 years since fergie retired. Now it finally seems like there might be a proper support structure being put in place to support a manager I would like to see him given more time to execute his vision. I also think he has the dressing room behind him. And he is an important player in the younger players he has brought through. Look at that moment with kobbie and garnacho on sat.

The other thing is united fans need to do is recalibrate our expectations. It's not 2013 anymore. We have gone through 11 years of failing to realistically challenge for a league if we are being brutally honest. There is no quick fix . No overnight appointment to get us back to that. It takes committing to a manager and his plan like arsenal have done with arteta and klopp at pool. Until we start giving one of these managers thar sort of comittment we aint ever gonna get back to that table.

That said. If they sack him fair enough. But the next manager needs to be given at least 2-3 years to build his team and implement his vision. Be supported by the club and hopefully by the back room being put in place. Invest in the infrastructure.

And stop letting it be know the day before a cup final that the manager is going to be sacked. An absolute shambles again that was let out.

I was out in Manchester for the final, everyone I spoke to was behind him. It's only the posters on here that want him gone.
I was at the game and almost all conversations I participated in and overheard wanted him to stay. I often heard his name being sung as well... The level of hatred people have for him and their reaction to the mere suggestion he might stay is genuinely bizarre, like him getting the sack will fix all united problems!

For the record, while I am wanting ten hag to stay (mainly cause there are no alternatives that are upgrades and we effectively will have to pay 10 mil to get rid plus whatever release clause for a new manager... and the mitigating circumstances of injuries, off-field issues etc partially explain the final outcome), if INEOS feel he is not aligned with their footballing structure then so be it, won't be the end of the world.

This is what my initial post was meant to imply. I'm based in ireland so a little removed local feelings in Manchester so I was very surprised to not meet a single fan at wembley and around it Saturday or Sunday that wanted him gone before and after the game. In my group of united supporting mates here in Ireland none of us want him gone (yet) .

Soke of this is down to him just being what seems like a decent human being and how he carry himself as the manager of Man Utd.

Personally I am sick of the resetting every 2 years since fergie retired. Now it finally seems like there might be a proper support structure being put in place to support a manager I would like to see him given more time to execute his vision. I also think he has the dressing room behind him. And he is an important player in the younger players he has brought through. Look at that moment with kobbie and garnacho on sat.

The other thing is united fans need to do is recalibrate our expectations. It's not 2013 anymore. We have gone through 11 years of failing to realistically challenge for a league if we are being brutally honest. There is no quick fix . No overnight appointment to get us back to that. It takes committing to a manager and his plan like arsenal have done with arteta and klopp at pool. Until we start giving one of these managers thar sort of comittment we aint ever gonna get back to that table.

That said. If they sack him fair enough. But the next manager needs to be given at least 2-3 years to build his team and implement his vision. Be supported by the club and hopefully by the back room being put in place. Invest in the infrastructure.

And stop letting it be know the day before a cup final that the manager is going to be sacked. An absolute shambles again that was let out.

Agreed on everything you said!

A large proportion of the fan base would have been fine with Ole continuing also. Moyes too.

Is this really where we're heading again? We've new owners on the football side having a technical review of what had been a disaster of a league and CL campaign and they're just going to go with feelings of the fans?

I drive a lot of the Irish fans from the airport to Old Trafford every home game, and they all seem to want him to stay.

A large proportion of the fan base would have been fine with Ole continuing also. Moyes too.

Is this really where we're heading again? We've new owners on the football side having a technical review of what had been a disaster of a league and CL campaign and they're just going to go with feelings of the fans?
If their review ends up with decision to sack him, then fair enough. But if he ends up staying, then it’s “because fans wanted it”?

People have opinions, look at the polls, it’s almost 50-50. Don’t think any of that will have any impact on INEOS decision.

lots of fans wanted fergie gone too

If their review ends up with decision to sack him, then fair enough. But if he ends up staying, then it’s “because fans wanted it”?

Let's be 100% clear, they already decided to sack him.

If they dont, it's because they're weak and u-turned.

All downgrades to what we h

That's simply not true. ETH is not better than Tuchel, and has not proven to be better than any of the other managers listed.

If we do keep him next season, after all his posturing, and we end up still playing poorly, this will be the dumbest decision United have made.

You can't have a season like this one, where 60 + games were played and less than 10 of them had decent performances and decide to keep the manager of that side.

INEOS will have to believe that he can actually have us challenging and playing good football. If they don't believe that, then there really is no point.

For me, the argument that really annoys me is the wait and see argument. You cannot waste time in football, things change very quickly and opportunities come and go. Liverpool did not drop down in the 90s simply as a result of luck, it was bad decision making borne by sentimentality and blamed on players. They had opportunities to hire better managers than they did, but they always blamed the players and everyone else due to their bootroom culture. They even had Evans and Houllier comanaging at one point in trying to seem respectable. With these delusions and poor decisions, United took advantage of their winning and became the juggernaut that we are today, whilst Liverpool, still big, have never been able to come close in fanbase and size. Yet, they had the headstart, but were willing to waste time in key moments. We can't afford to keep wasting time. Other clubs around us don't waste time, which is why they're turnarounds are quick.

Rebuilds are not necessary for clubs our size because we should always have the finances to ensure that key areas are well equipped. Even City, who essentially had to do a full rejuvination in 2008 took only 3 seasons to build the City we know today. Yet people here are still looking for long drawn out projects when other clubs are showing us that evolution rather than a rebuild is the key. This is why I've always had a problem with this concept, as it allows for the club and fans to consistently reduce expectations on the basis of things looking better in the future. You judge performances on what you see, not on what it could be if.... That's what consistently hurting us. Yes, we may not have the firepower and depth to beat out City for the league at the moment, but we should be able to still play good football that creates chances, controls games and shuts less opposition out. We should still expect not to concede 20 shots per game. What our fans are doing is hoping for things to get better whilst choosing not to make decisions. Let me be clear on this, fans do have sway. INEOS most likely won't sack him, but if they do keep him, it would be due to fan support, similar to us hiring Ole permanently. If we decide to keep ETH, upon all the evidence seen this season, and we play poorly, we would deserve it.

Maybe they've decided not to knee jerk to another manager, and instead give themselves some time to really figure out what way to go next? Half of them aren't even technically employees yet. Why are people throwing such absolute wobblers over this shit, it's hilarious. Posting like 15 year olds.

I will also add it's been a while since an occasion like Sat evoked as much emotion in me. I travelled over with my best mate. We try to get to old Trafford a couple times a season and sat in our local after the semi on 22nd April we started making plans to get to the final somehow.

I'm 41 years of age and I had tears flowing for all of the added time at the end of the game.

Because of who we were beating , the manner ( academy products scoring the winning goals) and probably because of how the news was leaked.

There was a certain element of romanticism involved. I obviously had a couple beers in me and I had stuck a ton on United to win at 8/1 :-).

But any manager and set of players that can get that sort of reaction out of me has my vote.

Maybe they've decided not to knee jerk to another manager, and instead give themselves some time to really figure out what way to go next? Half of them aren't even technically employees yet. Why are people throwing such absolute wobblers over this shit, it's hilarious. Posting like 15 year olds.

Its not kneejerk when no other top club in a similar position would take that action. This end of season alone already proves as much.

Said it yesterday and I can say it again today. A lot of back tracking from journalists again today. I'm going to call the whole sacking story BS that was just copy and pasted for clickbaits.

Friday he was 100% gone on Sunday

Yesterday he is at risk, undecided, could be

Now people like McKenna who was apparently a main target is staying, and some journos are just throwing any name of a manager out of a job onto the apparent short list - which is essentially an article of a then saying actually we have no idea.
The gurniad were changing the initial story by Friday afternoon.

The headline stayed but the language was rowed back massively and mentions of ‘sources inside the club’ were removed.

Now it has loads about an end of season reciew, Bruno’s comments and all kinds of stuff. A massive rambling beast of an article :lol:

Suspect we were on the blower pretty quickly with some firm words!!

Its not kneejerk when no other top club in a similar position would take that action. This end of season alone already proves as much.
Arsenal literally did it with their current manager, who now has them playing very well. A shite season with caveats is not the same as a shite season with no excuses. Chelsea are literally the shittest club ever, I couldn't be happier to walk a different path than them.

I happen to agree with you. Definitely quite a few posters on this site pretending to be Utd fans.
Was apparent since the time of the Quatar bid, and vote. At the time, I was firmly on the side of Ratcliffe and INEOS. Still am, but they need to do the right thing by Ten Hag and let him continue his work.

I don’t believe any of that. I think a competent manager could have got top 4 with this squad.
With McT up front? With Casemiro in defence? With AWB at LB? With Amrabat? I beg to differ. Our ‘ first 11’ is very good, our squad is actually kinda pants and at times our bench has been dire.

There's absolutely no good choice to replace ETH anyway, so I don't believe INEOS will let him go at this point.

Amorim sounds good "on paper", but god knows how good would he be under immense pressure here. I'm no fan of ETH anymore, hell I'd get rid of him after 7:0, but change just for the sake of change is never good, therefore just give him another year. This team can obviously play well, maybe FA Cup is a kick in the good direction.

SAF would never have overseen a league and CL campaign like this, with this squad.

Ferguson's pedigree when he landed here and Ten Hag's pedigree are not close either. I don't know why people keep acting as if they are.

My stance has softened a bit of late. Some days I wake up and want him sacked and others I think hang on, he has won a few trophies - not easy with this lot. Gives me pause. Before it was 90% of days I'd think there hasn't been enough progress as a team but now I'm hovering on the fence somewhere. Glad I'm not making the decision. Ultimately I'd trust someone that has more information than I do, if you were close to the club you'd know from people around the place what the score is.

Status
Not open for further replies.