Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do believe the players were trying, but they are not machines you can turn on and off; there are other things that affects your ability to perform at a 100% level than pure will. A positive experience in a group - and as a group - can do hell lot of good, just as much as a bad experience - such as losing an EL final on penalties - can do harm. You build confidence in a group by positive experiences, not by trying and trying without result. It's basic psychology, really.

Sure I don’t disagree if the discussion was about a team that was competing at the top and finally broke through and won a trophy. We aren’t.

And two trophies in successive seasons and a 3rd place finish in his first season is precisely that sensible middle ground that people seem to be ignoring.

Much like in your initial post where you asserted people want title challenges - which is not reflective of what’s happening in this thread - I don’t think anyone’s ignoring third place finish and the cup wins.

Realistically, the league cup is a minor trophy that hardly anyone cares about. I don’t dismiss it wholesale but I don’t think inflating its importance is conducive of anything productive. Third place and with the monetary and time investment you’d expect progression in our football, yet we have some of the worst metrics in the league in a substantial amount of markers - unfortunately, they can’t all be explained away with “injuries”. The FA cup is a good trophy but came in one of our worst, if not the worst prem showing we’ve ever had, as well as embarrassing CL run. Cup competitions are also hardly reflective of where you are as a team - United is not the first nor will it be the last poor team to win one.

Judging most recent season, I think it would be fair to say we’ve regressed. Massively. And judging as overall balance - it’s been underwhelming and performances poor, and not because people are expecting nor demanding title challenges right now.

The issue is that we’ve still not seen any evidence of him progressing us towards a possession based attacking team. If 2 years in, this is the situation I don’t see how that changes. We could revert to some good form and get top 4 but wasting another year chasing mere results will get us nowhere.

You mean you don’t want us to play chaos coin flip ball and rely on strictly finishing luck to win games?

It's not about timelines. If it takes 3 years, fine.

The point is, after making the team worse after 2 full years, do you think it's at all realistic that he then goes on to win us a league title?

On the balance of probabilities, the manager who finally takes us back to the glory days, is not someone who makes us worse after his first 2 years and have us performing to the standard of a lower half team.
I do, because simply put the squad itself was worse than the previous year. I didn’t have high hopes for this season and the fact we have got a cup has exceeded my expectations for the season.

This squad needed gutting it still does but hopefully with some good recruitment and better luck with injuries we should be challenging for a top 4 position next season.

I’ve seen enough to think that there is hope If he stays and there is the whole thing of that there isn’t really any one better for me. Not any sure thing anyway.

I think its down to Tuchel or ETH staying at this point. The others seem to be less realistic now that McKenna seems to have extended.

De Zerbi and Tuchel both seem to know something everyone else doesn't, based on the decisions they've taken.

I wish I could trust the process. Just a shame I still don't know what that Friggin process is.

De Zerbi and Tuchel both seem to know something everyone else doesn't, based on the decisions they've taken.

I'd be shocked if it was De Zerbi, but stranger things have happened. Tuchel seems to be the most logical of choices given his winning percentage in multiple leagues (not to mention the CL).

You mean you don’t want us to play chaos coin flip ball and rely on strictly finishing luck to win games?
It’s so weird becuase he’s essentially been the exact opposite manager as I thought he’d be. We need someone to come in and coach is on how to control games, pass through central areas effectively etc whereas ETH was trying to turn into some quick transition team but also failing to get us firing at either end of the pitch.

April - https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-jason-wilcox-ten-hag-audit-ignoring-instructions

‘Wilcox will also be asked to assess whether United’s struggles this season have predominantly been down to a dreadful run of injuries and personnel factors – or whether there are deeper issues, such as players ignoring instructions and/or inflexibility and intransigence on the manager’s part.

‘If it is the latter, United would want to know whether Ten Hag was simply too inflexible or could be open to and capable of implementing and communicating any changes required to his approach.’

The bolded part most likely.

This also isn't proof of your theory mate.

I'd be shocked if it was De Zerbi, but stranger things have happened. Tuchel seems to be the most logical of choices given his winning percentage in multiple leagues (not to mention the CL).
Was Tuchel good for Chelsea in the PL though ? I recall he improved them straight away but they were consistently terrible in attack, eventually the wheels came off and he doesn’t seem to have left them any legacy in terms of style of play.

Not immature to point out if someone is correct or incorrect.

It's somewhat disingenuous though you ignored the context of my original point (the split not spend) so now I don’t have much sympathy for you as I looked at what you said and it was very visibly incorrect. You tried to sidestep a point which you either wilfully ignored/didn’t understand and made an even worse point.
It's pretty evident now that we're just talking past one another and this discussion has gone as far as it can possibly go

Was Tuchel good for Chelsea in the PL though ? I recall he improved them straight away but they were consistently terrible in attack, eventually the wheels came off and he doesn’t seem to have left them any legacy in terms of style of play.

Yeah they were a solid team under him but the attack was a joke, which I think is where the friction came from in the first place because he clashed with the new board over signings.

However they always created chances pretty well it was just Werner or Lukaku on the end of many of them. Through the first 2/3’s of the pitch they were elite though.

The issue is that we’ve still not seen any evidence of him progressing us towards a possession based attacking team. If 2 years in, this is the situation I don’t see how that changes. We could revert to some good form and get top 4 but wasting another year chasing mere results will get us nowhere.

I don't think he's any intention of going down that route. The last 2 seasons don't point towards that anyway.

When people say stuff like this, do they not remember it "clicking" in Year 1. We out-played Barcelona in Europe over two legs and genuinely looked like we were building positive momentum. Year 2 being a complete and utter disaster shouldn't scrub that from our memory.

He's not building then if things are getting worst.

By XG differential United just had the worst season of any big six side during the ten years for which we have the data. 60th out of 60 teams.

I don’t see how anybody can look at that stat and think he’s the manager to take the club forward.
People are looking at this from the wrong frame.

People are asking themselves "is Ten Hag as bad a manager as it appears based on this season?" And the answer is of course no, he can't be this bad, so "it can't be his fault."

What they really should be asking themselves is this. Is the manager who will eventually take United back to the league title, going to make the team far worse after his first 2 years at the club?

The timeline of our next great manager doesn't involve them turning us into a team that is lower half standard after 2 years. And then somehow igniting some meteoric rise to the league title thereafter. Logically, rationally, it just doesn't make any sense. Great managers gradually improve the team and playing style.

Making us worse than Ole/Rangnick era after 2 full years is not what a league winning manager would do.

I do, because simply put the squad itself was worse than the previous year. I didn’t have high hopes for this season and the fact we have got a cup has exceeded my expectations for the season.

This squad needed gutting it still does but hopefully with some good recruitment and better luck with injuries we should be challenging for a top 4 position next season.

I’ve seen enough to think that there is hope If he stays and there is the whole thing of that there isn’t really any one better for me. Not any sure thing anyway.

There's no such thing in footbal.

If Utd had lost on Saturday I don't see a single compelling reason for keeping Ten Hag based on what we saw over this whole season.

The stunning level of incompetence in how the team was set up was not down to injuries, it was there before they started, the injuries are a shield.

He was only there a year and a half and got them 3rd in his only full season (going on a long unbeaten run in the latter half of the 20/21 season). I think the biggest drawback to Tuchel is his volatility in terms of publicly expressing frustration over transfers, which played a big part in why Boehly let him go.

If INEOS are making their decision based on one game then we have bigger issues going forward than the manager.

I was out in Manchester for the final, everyone I spoke to was behind him. It's only the posters on here that want him gone.

I happen to agree with you. Definitely quite a few posters on this site pretending to be Utd fans.

I don’t think he’s going anywhere. I think we’re sticking with ETH for next season and if that’s the decision that’s made I’ll back it. We’ll be stronger next season with the signings and outgoings.

People seem to forget that some our worst performances were with the first eleven or one player short of it. The 6-3 against City, 7-0 against Liverpool or earlier this season the 2-0 against Spurs were with our strongest teams and it was sorry displays.
Don’t forget the 2-0 away at Newcastle last season where they easily should’ve scored 4 or the 1-1 draw away at Brentford this season where we also should’ve conceded a minimum of 4.

We’ve had our asses handed to us in games post SAF but no manager has received as many spankings as EtH has for us. When he gets it wrong it goes horrendously bad and it’s not a rare occurrence.

It's almost like the poll being tight is pretty reflective of the wider fanbase. Who knew!

Status
Not open for further replies.