Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
People seem to forget that some our worst performances were with the first eleven or one player short of it. The 6-3 against City, 7-0 against Liverpool or earlier this season the 2-0 against Spurs were with our strongest teams and it was sorry displays.
No kobbie no party

How can anyone seriously think they're keeping ETH? You don't interview five other managers if you are planning to keep the current one. Poch seems very very likely.
I believe they have spoken to other candidates representatives, but I havn't seen any reports that anyone has been interviewed. If they are undecided whether to keep or sack, it would be stupid not to have a back-up plan. So, it's yet to see, IMO.

Again, many supporters wanted him to be given another season before a ball was kicked in the final. That is not being fickle, it's the opposite. They see it's a longer game than most other, arguably fickle fans.

Was lucky to be in London for the game at the weekend. Chatted to loads in the torch in the morning and around stadium before and after game. I didn't come across a single fan who wanted him gone. Which I found a bit odd given the feelings from a large portion on here. I'm struggling to understand the huge difference in opinion.

We can make it work if we sign five world class players for him this summer. But it's not happening, the money isn't there. It's cheaper to bring in a new coach with fresh ideas who can get more out of the players we have.

Yeah I agree but it’s cheaper still to have him stay, under threat of expulsion, and do what’s necessary (something more conservative) to make top 4 and/or win Europa while getting the desired players over 4 or 5 windows.

McKenna reportedly signing an extension with Ipswich as per Ornstein. Might be a pretty big hint on the club’s decision with ten Hag. I don’t think we sack ten Hag for Poch or Tuchel.

And two trophies in successive seasons and a 3rd place finish in his first season is precisely that sensible middle ground that people seem to be ignoring.
In his first season is the big caveat. Pep/Klopp/Arteta aka what we aspire for in their first few seasons didn't see some big regression backwards, at their worst they managed to maintain the position from the previous season. No doubt some will claim ETH is some special snowflake who gets judged on different metrics.

Pep - 3rd > 1st
Klopp - 8th > 4th > 4th > 2nd > 1st
Arteta - 8th > 8th > 5th > 2nd

Was lucky to be in London for the game at the weekend. Chatted to loads in the torch in the morning and around stadium before and after game. I didn't come across a single fan who wanted him gone. Which I found a bit odd given the feelings from a large portion on here. I'm struggling to understand the huge difference in opinion.
I was at the game too. Massive support for him before the game, they were singing his name in Kilburn too which is where a lot of our fans gather before games at Wembley.

But I have to caveat the Kilburn thing is something I heard from a mate, I was running late to the kick off!

By XG differential United just had the worst season of any big six side during the ten years for which we have the data. 60th out of 60 teams.

I don’t see how anybody can look at that stat and think he’s the manager to take the club forward.

I seriously refuse to believe that Ineos would let their decision be dictated by some romantic nonsense.
That having been said its about time they make their decision clear and announce whether he stays or not.

My Arsenal and Liverpool supporting mates are delighted at the prospect of ETH staying.

Having explored other platforms such as Reddit, it's evident that the vast majority of people actually want him to stay. The significant disparity in opinions between what is expressed here and other fan sections of the internet is quite striking really.

In his first season is the big caveat. Pep/Klopp/Arteta aka what we aspire for in their first few seasons didn't see some big regression backwards, at their worst they managed to maintain the position from the previous season. No doubt some will claim ETH is some special snowflake who gets judged on different metrics.

Pep - 3rd > 1st
Klopp - 8th > 4th > 4th > 2nd > 1st
Arteta - 8th > 8th > 5th > 2nd

For me, man United is the hardest managerial appointment in football, especially with glazers as owners. It’s a tough gig and there’s no miracle wand. He’s had a torrid time and much of it not his doing. We also only know about a drop in the ocean of what really goes on at this club. It’s badly run from the top down so I’m refusing to pile it all on the manager.

Is he perfect, no. Should we have done better last season yes. For me 2 trophies in 3 seasons despite it all deserves ineos support and a fair shot.

There are good arguments both for keeping him and for sacking him but personally im still on the side of sacking him, this is supposed to be the start of a new era under INEOS and after replacing Mutough, Fletcher, and Arnold we should now replace Erik and his staff as well so we have a fresh start in all area's.

I dont see any sence at all in giving him until Christmas as if it doesnt work out thats another season wasted while our rivals pull further away from us.

I seriously refuse to believe that Ineos would let their decision be dictated by some romantic nonsense.
That having been said its about time they make their decision clear and announce whether he stays or not.

Mate, there were fans on here demanding we keep Moyes and Solskjaer right to the end.

A lot of United fans are fecking weird when it comes to backing underperforming manager.

Aka you’re wrong?
That's an extremely immature response. I pointed out that we've outspent the competition, and you countered that with a metric that doesn't reflect how much we've spent in recent years.

Either way, the overall point that initially sparked this discussion is that financial supremacy on its own doesn't explain Real's success and our relative failure.

It's a badge of honour.

If fans ran the club you'd end up offering your interim manager a full time contract and ripping up your succession plan because he won one game of football, or u-turning on a long planned decision to sack a dismally performing manager because he won one game of football.

Oh.
Looks like INEOS plan on doing just that because they don't want to look evil and hurt ETH and the fan's fee fees.

I hope this is the case as well. Too many emotional fans moving back and forth with Ten Hag (including me). Objectively we have been garbage this season and ending on a negative GD should not be an acceptable standard. Flip side there are the injuries and FA Cup.

If this is true then I am not impressed at all with the start Ineos are making. They look weaker than the Glazers.

Sacking LVG immediately after the cup win was ruthless but necessary. It was the best thing Joel, Avram and Woody did.

Doesn't that just mean that their not going to sack him immediately, but rather closer to the end of the week?

The only person IMO who is the right level to replace Ten Hag is Tuchel. McKenna long term sure, but he should go to Brighton. Tuchel is a good manager and would be my vote, but generally I'd give ten hag another year after winning the cup.

How good is Tuchel, really?

And damn, looks like EtH might actually be done? Is this as bad / worse / better than how van Gaal was let go?

In my opinion in 2024 the people making decisions at a multi billion pound club should be able to use data & analytics to make their decisions rather than just relying on emotions & feel.
No one who analyses that last season on a data level can genuinely argue for him to stay. People trash pochettino but by most metrics his team performed better than their position, we finished 8th & amazingly by most metrics that was way better than our metrics predicted. Now you can be eyes closed old fashioned and say that only results matter but for league campaigns eventually most teams revert to their data so well we better start performing much better next year or we will be in bigger mess.

I think the only thing that's certain is that no one has a clue. Supposedly Ten Hag was being sacked and we were looking to bring in Tuchel, then McKenna was apparently the front runner, and then today it was reported we were talking to De Zerbi. And now apparently we're considering keeping Ten Hag.

Yeah everything is conjecture until we hear from the club.

Looks like INEOS plan on doing just that because they don't want to look evil and hurt ETH and the fan's fee fees.

If they do that and the beginning of the season is a disaster then they are going to look like incompetent idiots.

I wouldn't be gutted if he stayed - love to see him turn it around but we need very good player recruitment in the summer.,

Mate, there were fans on here demanding we keep Moyes and Solskjaer right to the end.

A lot of United fans are fecking weird when it comes to backing underperforming manager.

Absolutely but I don't believe Ineos are as fickle as fans.

Anyone else think they have done a deal with a wildcard like Amorim or even Xavi hence leaving Barca. Nah more likely it's Tuchel or decided to give Erik another year under new structure.

I think its down to Tuchel or ETH staying at this point. The others seem to be less realistic now that McKenna seems to have extended.

If he stays, another season we can write off. He already prepared his excuses, injuries will be one of them, because it is no coincidence with his training and our medical staff

I hope this is the case as well. Too many emotional fans moving back and forth with Ten Hag (including me). Objectively we have been garbage this season and ending on a negative GD should not be an acceptable standard. Flip side there are the injuries and FA Cup.

All that is absolutely fair and trophies should always count, but the form and especially Ten Hags reluctance to alter the gameplan are the reasons I still think he needs to go.

That's an extremely immature response. I pointed out that we've outspent the competition, and you countered that with a metric that doesn't reflect how much we've spent in recent years.

Either way, the overall point that initially sparked this discussion is that financial supremacy on its own doesn't explain Real's success and our relative failure.
Not immature to point out if someone is correct or incorrect.

It's somewhat disingenuous though you ignored the context of my original point (the split not spend) so now I don’t have much sympathy for you as I looked at what you said and it was very visibly incorrect. You tried to sidestep a point which you either wilfully ignored/didn’t understand and made an even worse point.

The longer it goes the more I feel he is sacked, Tuchel or De Zerbi is in the bag and they're just allowing a bit of time to enjoy the cup win and not be cloak and dagger like last time in how the club handled LVG.

If they are mulling it over still then it leaves not many clubs left for the manager without a job.

My Arsenal and Liverpool supporting mates are delighted at the prospect of ETH staying.
Im sure the same arsenal fans were delighted when Arteta wasn't sacked after 18 months.
If they're happy at the notion if a back to back trophy winner staying good on em.

The issue is that we’ve still not seen any evidence of him progressing us towards a possession based attacking team. If 2 years in, this is the situation I don’t see how that changes. We could revert to some good form and get top 4 but wasting another year chasing mere results will get us nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.