Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
That post is ridiculous, he was supposed to challenge this season!
Do you really think the squad of last season or this one gets anywhere near a title challenge? I mean, really? If you think any manager in world football can get this team to challenge for league and champions leagues then I don't know what to say.

If you think he should have got top 4 that's a much fairer argument.

If he does stay i wonder what the recruitment will be like if we're committing to this 'transition' team stuff and a hyper aggressive forward line? All this crap about him 'not having a style of play' has always been utter nonsense but although i'm not convinced it can be successful, you really do have to have the right players (ones that can actually run and are never injured like Bruno, Dalot, Garnacho etc).

Ineos will be the ones dictating this stuff which means they will have to commit to his ideas, at least for one season. Not fecking up preseason by exhausting the players should be another objective.

I know we can't take another transfer saga like it, but Frenkie De Jong, if he really is available, would be a perfect swap-in for that Amrabat slot, if we continue to build on the style we were developing in the fa cup final.

Ten Hag can stay but ;
1.He shouldn't be allowed to choose players otherwise we will get more Antonys.

2.He should be scrutinised very heavily come next season; any more of the garbage of this season, off he goes even if it is early season.

Truth is that the FA cup win does buy him time but we cannot ignore how poor we've been all season with/without injuries and if they fire him, it wouldn't be grave sin.

My head says he goes, my heart says let him stay with above conditions.

What project? He came before INEOS, and what exactly is the endgame for ETH regarding where the team should be under him? We played totally different in each of his two seasons here, and we have gone backwards massively. Continuing the "project" would mean a further decline in league and European results based on this season.

If we keep him and go out next year and continue to get spanked I want an auto suspension list on everyone here that changed their tune and wanted to keep him post FA cup win

I know we can't take another transfer saga like it, but Frenkie De Jong, if he really is available, would be a perfect swap-in for that Amrabat slot, if we continue to build on the style we were developing in the fa cup final.
Somebody seriously needs to design a powerful laser and etch, in massive letters on the surface of the moon, "FRENKIE DE JONG DOESN'T WANT TO feckING COME TO UNITED"

And we were hilariously open in every one of those
Not really in the Forest one, I was there for that and we conceded two stupid goals 4 mins in (a corner counter attack, and then a set piece) and it was one way traffic until we took the lead (and then we just hung on at the end).

If the club want him to stay I'll back him as he's the manager of the club I support.

However, there are a number of signs from this season that say hearts are ruling heads. If he had copped himself on over a month ago we could have been talking about champions league qualification. He's too stubborn and if we have another injury plagued season are we still going to use the excuses from last year?

That's still too light of a midfield for me. Mainoo is such a talent but I think we need a much more robust midfielder alongside him if we're going to make this high intensity, aggressive style work.

Quite easy to convice someone that you are a winner if you win something in both of your seasons.
For all his flaws — his record in domestic finals has been strong. The first FA Cup final could’ve been different if we didn’t have De Gea sabotage within a minute, too.

Downright abysmal in the CL, though.

Not really in the Forest one, I was there for that and we conceded two stupid goals 4 mins in (a corner counter attack, and then a set piece) and it was one way traffic until we took the lead (and then we just hung on at the end).

Yes I was confusing the Forest game with another, but the point stands that 3/4 were basketball games even with our first choice partnership.

20!!! And people want to “see the project through” as if we’ve just been super unlucky but have seen periods of greatness when fit (in reality we’ve been crap for 18 months but who’s counting?)
It's not seen through until it's been 38 losses. Then we might have to sit down and have a think about how long the new contract should be.

Imagine Madrid sticking with a manager that served up an 8th place finish in La Liga with negative goal difference and giving him a third season
There's a reason they're playing for a record 15th CL next weekend while we've gone 11 years without a league title and 16 without a CL

One game is starting to turn the tide. What about the other 50 we all had to suffer through. Only a handful of games I could say he did a good job at coaching.

I just hope that if we are keeping him then that’s a decision INEOS had made before the cup final itself. We have no hope if people running the club are also making decisions based on a one off cup result

Real have sacked managere who've finished 2nd and won trophies.

Think Del Bosque got the boot after winning the CL

Yep. They sacked Benitez 3 months in because it was obvious he wasn’t working out. And then people are astonished that they can maintain success year after year. Highest standards in football, there’s a reason they’ve won that many UCL’s and it’s not because they “back the manager” no matter what.

You have no idea what they've done behind the scenes. There's also the distinct possibility they're waiting for the FA Cup euphoria to die down before announcing he's gone and they're using the 'review' angle to buy that time.

By all means judge them in the future but it's way too early to know anything about how they'll run the club. I'm so tired of people on here just randomly calling anyone and everyone 'clowns'. Get a grip.

They haven't even built a new stadium yet. Mugs

One game is starting to turn the tide. What about the other 50 we all had to suffer through. Only a handful of games I could say he did a good job at coaching.
I just hope that if we are keeping him then that’s a decision INEOS had made before the cup final itself. We have no cup if people running the club are also making decisions based on a one off cup result

Yeah. This would be a major red flag if that’s the case.

There's a reason they're playing for a record 15th CL next weekend while we've gone 11 years without a league title and 16 without a CL

Yep. We have just as much buying power and world influence yet have been run like a clown show while fans endlessly drop their standards lower and lower (I just read an excuse for fecking Antony of all players). Yet Madrid and their supporters demand quality performances and effort on the pitch at all times no matter your standing or history at the club.

Yep. We have just as much buying power and world influence yet have been run like a clown show while fans endlessly drop their standards lower and lower (I just read an excuse for fecking Antony of all players). Yet Madrid and their supporters demand quality performances and effort on the pitch at all times no matter your standing or history at the club.
If anthony was at real there would be a mob outside the ground baying for his blood.

I’ve watched Brighton a lot over the last two years due to having close friends connected to the club.

Even without mentioning his sensational 22/23 season, in 23/24 Brighton finished with an xGpts of 8th while dealing with similar injuries to us. And losing 150m worth of midfield talent without replacing them in Caicedo and Macallister. Their squad this season is very poor.

He also improved and raised the technical level of players like Veltman, Gilmour, Dunk, March and Welbeck in his time at Brighton. While heavily relying on youth like Buonanotte and Hinshelwood.

Brighton kept up their style of football, averaging the 4th highest possession, only behind City, Spurs and Liverpool. 10th in xG created, 8th in xGA. All higher underlying stats than Ten Hag’s Utd. Also has gotten the better of Ten Hag in every match up statistically including dominating Utd at Old Trafford with his B team earlier this season, winning 1-3 comfortably.

Since joining, he’s beaten every top 6 team bar City. And last season, beating Arsenal 0-3 at the Emirates. Arsenal fans will tell you that’s the best away performance they’ve seen from a team at their ground in a very long time.

Hopefully @The Boy can back up this statement. A lot of my Brighton friends didn’t want De Zerbi to go.

Agree with all of this and didn’t want him to go, but sadly I wasn’t surprised at all and with the news of McKenna staying at Ipswich, I’m quite worried about who we get next.

Maybe, but that's only one in a list that didn't include everyone, Antony needs to be sold no question, but he's not even close to the worst post SAF signing

Antony is worse than all of those players other than maybe Schneiderlin. Even Donny looked a much better prospect and had done/ produced more than Antony.

Comfortably the worst signing we've made post-Fergie in terms of price paid for proven quality (Fred at 50 million runs that close but I think he had a good career with us) and then for price compared to actual output

If anthony was at real there would be a mob outside the ground baying for his blood.

He would have been banished to the reserves about 4 months in and then sold for nothing the next window (in truth they wouldn’t have let a manager bully them into paying 80m for a mediocre Dutch league winger in the first place but)

He's a goner, otherwise INEOS would have made a statement by now. Gareth Southgate is going to be the next manager.

If Real win next weekend they'll have won twice as many CLs since SAF retired than we have in our entire history
If the PL distributed money like La Liga does when we were top dogs, United would have won basically every domestic trophy every year and gone deep in the CL every year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.