Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the PL distributed money like La Liga does when we were top dogs, United would have won basically every domestic trophy every year and gone deep in the CL every year as well.
We wouldn't have. There was a point in the last decade when we had a huge financial advantage over all clubs in the league (including City), and we had feck all to show for it.

Not to mention we've regularly been getting schlonged in Europe over the years by clubs with a fraction of our resources, like Sevilla, Copenhagen, and Galatasaray.

Looks like he’s staying. I’m not actually against I’ve changed my mind a bit. Last chance though, need a strong start to the season or he really is done.

Yep. We have just as much buying power and world influence yet have been run like a clown show while fans endlessly drop their standards lower and lower (I just read an excuse for fecking Antony of all players). Yet Madrid and their supporters demand quality performances and effort on the pitch at all times no matter your standing or history at the club.

If Ineos make the correct but hard decisions consistently, I think that ruthless culture can be rebuilt in our fanbase overtime. It starts with Ten Hag's situation, they can give in to sentimentality as the club has for the past 10 years like when Ole got the contract after PSG, or they can sack him despite winning two cups in two years because the ambition is to win league and champions league titles and he's obviously not the man for that. I think they'll ignore the reactionary appeals and go for the latter.

I know we can't take another transfer saga like it, but Frenkie De Jong, if he really is available, would be a perfect swap-in for that Amrabat slot, if we continue to build on the style we were developing in the fa cup final.
I don’t get your logic here. FDJ and Amrabat are completely different profiles. FDJ wouldn’t be sitting making tackles. If anything we now have his profile with the emergence of Mainoo

I like the guy. He needs to fix the glaring issues in the way we play. That's all that matters to me. Next season there can be no excuses.

First off he can't drop them all. He tried it with Varane and Maguire and had to bring them both back. Secondly it wasn't as extreme as you describe. There was a tendency to sit too deep at key moments and it left too much space in midfield cost us goals. These are fine margins. If he'd actually told the front 5 to push up and the back four to sit deep then he would also need to be sacked. It's not that black and white.

It clearly is mate when it happened match after match, for the best part of 9 months regardless of which players were on the pitch.

No one could make a plausible case as to why an entire squad would ignore their managers instructions for an entire season and their manager not only allowed it but defended the tactics and performances.

It's far more likely that Erik tried something outside the box, it failed badly. At first he maybe persevered thinking it would click but at some point probably realised himself he got it wrong. But was too proud to abandon it and basically admit he'd messed up.

The choice is not between sacking or keeping him. It is between sacking or extending him. He will be undermined if his contract is not renewed beyond the remaining year and this would be then feed negatively into the morale of the squad.

Exactly!

Much better states here than my inarticulate attempt to make the same point yesterday. No one with an ounce of sanity, which by definition excludes Goldbridge, argues that INEOS should actually extend ten Hag’s contract. All that’s left to decide is who his replacement should be.

So if this any other big name manager and they had the type of injuries we had poor results but we’re able to make it not only to the cup final but win a cup against one of the top teams in all of Europe. He shouldn’t be given at least Christmas next year or November, I would honestly let him keep going and stop the two years for a manager to get things going and not sack them and try again.

2 cups in two years. I hope we regroup this summer. Get some key players in that we need trim some more of the deadwood and give him a proper chance to start the season. And if he can’t consistently form he’s out on his ass.

Yep. We have just as much buying power and world influence yet have been run like a clown show while fans endlessly drop their standards lower and lower (I just read an excuse for fecking Antony of all players). Yet Madrid and their supporters demand quality performances and effort on the pitch at all times no matter your standing or history at the club.
Let me guess, "he'd be a decent squad player"? Seems to be a common defense around these parts when underperforming and/or low-quality players are discussed.

If Ten Hag stays it reeks of Ineos bowing to fan pressure. Also how fecking furious must Ten Hag be knowing that we've been flirting with these other managers and letting the media pick at him like vultures.

I really couldn't be more Ten Hag in at this point.

Get him two fit CBs, a fit LB, and a Bruno like he was on Saturday and they will be more than challenging next season.

Challenging for what though is the question.

The title? 4th? Europa/Conference League?

I still think it will be Tuchel, he just seems like the obvious candidate if you want to step forward.

I just hope that if we are keeping him then that’s a decision INEOS had made before the cup final itself. We have no hope if people running the club are also making decisions based on a one off cup result

The talk a few weeks ago was that INEOS were likely to keep him on regardless of our shit form and points tally. Before he won us an FA Cup. A new beginning with new people running the show above him

What has confused things is the story just before the FA cup that he was getting the sack.

Media reports have been conflicting, once the decision is announced we will probably never know when it was made. There is quite likely some disagreement within the club over him staying or going, too

Real have sacked managere who've finished 2nd and won trophies.

Think Del Bosque got the boot after winning the CL

They didnt renew Del Bosque after winning the league on the back of winning another league title and two CL in four years. It was Heynckes who got the boot after their first CL in a million years. Oh and Capello got sacked after winning the league in an uninspiring way.

He is staying. Looking forward to another season of struggle for top 4, decent cup runs and shit on a stick football.

Can't wait!

So do we rinse and repeat, new manager new ideas and wanting his own players. I say stick with the boss for one more season and go from there

The opposite of that, the manager position is no more. We'll only have a head coach and all those decisions will be taken off their hands.

This'll happen regardless of Ten Hag staying or going.

We wouldn't have. There was a point in the last decade when we had a huge financial advantage over all clubs in the league (including City), and we had feck all to show for it.
Literally off the top of my head, milestones like Abramovic, Abu Dhabi, Glazers coming, are all well before that timeline.

More importantly, you aren't understanding or addressing the point. Money distribution is completely different between La Liga and the PL. You can win the PL but make a very similar amount to 5th-6th place with the way our model works, the gap between 1st and 20th last season was only about $50m (in La Liga it was $120m).

Looks like he’s staying. I’m not actually against I’ve changed my mind a bit. Last chance though, need a strong start to the season or he really is done.
If he can't turn it around (he won't) then we've written off another season which we can't afford to keep doing. We'll just keep falling further behind our rivals.

I would guess that's what's happening now though. Stick with him another year while monitoring how McKenna does. Massive gamble.

Di Maria to be fair had a return that we could only wish most of our wingers could produce nowadays and had more actual issues affecting him than most i.e. the house robbery.

Sorry but to me he was the merc of all mercs. His work rate sucked and it felt like he downed tools. One of my least favorite ever to wear the shirt. Just my humble opinion.

The talk a few weeks ago was that INEOS were likely to keep him on regardless of our shit form and points tally. Before he won us an FA Cup. A new beginning with new people running the show above him

What has confused things is the story just before the FA cup that he was getting the sack.

Media reports have been conflicting, once the decision is announced we will probably never know when it was made. There is quite likely some disagreement within the club over him staying or going, too
So basically the media are full of shit, they, like the rest of us, have zero idea as to what INEOS are actually going to do

He is staying. Looking forward to another season of struggle for top 4, decent cup runs and shit on a stick football.

Can't wait!
Can we financially afford to have another disastrous league campaign is the big question. I think it's such a massive gamble to keep him after a season like this one.

Here’s to more hammerings next season (of which there’ll be many) when we announce he’s staying.

Literally off the top of my head, milestones like Abramovic, Abu Dhabi, Glazers coming, are all well before that timeline.

More importantly, you aren't understanding or addressing the point. Money distribution is completely different between La Liga and the PL. You can win the PL but make a very similar amount to 5th-6th place with the way our model works, the gap between 1st and 20th last season was only about $50m (in La Liga it was $120m).
We were regularly outbidding and outspending Abramovich and Abu Dhabi throughout the 2010s.

We could've spent twice as much and we still wouldn't be any closer.

Honestly shocked the poll is almost 50/50 after that shitshow of a season (fa cup win aside)

McKenna was the only semi-exciting option of those mentioned, so with him staying put then they might aswell let Erik stay. Don't see how Tuchel would fit and he's the second best option.

Nope, I'd trust him to be better than Poch or Tuchel that's all
Here’s my point, anyone saying “keep him, there are no alternatives at the moment” are essentially saying that underneath it all they would still replace him if a candidate they thought was better came along. Its not really a proper vote of confidence

I think ETH will stay. Probably United have told Kieran that they will give ETH one more year to improve results. Kieran will stay at Ipswich for the time being hoping to get the Unted job sooner or later. Probably why he has decised not to go to Brighton or Chelsea

He literally was worse than Poch just this season.
So you're one of the ones that doesn't classify the FA Cup as a trophy worth winning, top 4 and CL qualification is all that matters I'm guessing, well I consider winning a trophy more important tahn winning nothing at all

Status
Not open for further replies.