Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the people who want him to stay, do you actually believe Ten Hag will win us a premier league or champions league before he leaves this club?

Logically, I can't imagine a scenario where the manager to take us back to our glory days, is someone who after 2 full years has made the team worse, and has us performing to the standard of a 14th/15th placed side. I just don't see the rationale behind it. It would be a fairytale story to make us worse after 2 years and then go and win us a league title, but fairytales aren't real unfortunately.

I think people are being sentimental, and ultimately they think it's mean to sack someone who they feel sorry for. And being nice is more important than the success of the football club to some fans.

McKenna was the only semi-exciting option of those mentioned, so with him staying put then they might aswell let Erik stay. Don't see how Tuchel would fit and he's the second best option.
Is there a club on earth that enjoys romanticism as much as United fans? How would a manager who's never even managed in a top flight league ever be the best option to manage Manchester United?

There's also the elephant in the room that he was part of a regime that was booted out this club already because the players were complaining to the media that our training sessions were not up to standard...

For the people who want him to stay, do you actually believe Ten Hag will win us a premier league or champions league before he leaves this club?

Logically, I can't imagine a scenario where the manager to take us back to our glory days, is someone who after 2 full years has made the team worse, and has us performing to the standard of a 14th/15th placed side. I just don't see the rationale behind it. It would be a fairytale story to make us worse after 2 years and then go and win us a league title, but fairytales aren't real unfortunately.

I think people are being sentimental, and ultimately they think it's mean to sack someone who they feel sorry for. And being nice is more important than the success of the football club to some fans.
Not one person on here believes that Ten Hag can win the league or CL. But the problem is a lot of our fans have gotten comfortable with us being a plucky underdog team.

If he didn't win the FA cup there wouldn't even be any debate whatsoever

Some of the takes in this thread are hilarious on both sides of the in and out argument. There is literally no nuanced debate in this thread at all.

Here’s my point, anyone saying “keep him, there are no alternatives at the moment” are essentially saying that underneath it all they would still replace him if a candidate they thought was better came along. Its not really a proper vote of confidencen
I understand your point, there's many valid points to say that EtH isn't the answer and just as many to say that most of the alternatives aren't either, unless there's an obviously a way better candidate then I don't see the point of changing him on the basis of one bad season

Anyone else think they have done a deal with a wildcard like Amorim or even Xavi hence leaving Barca. Nah more likely it's Tuchel or decided to give Erik another year under new structure.

Am I the only one who would feel for him? With this never seen before injury crisis, no manager in the world (beside the top 3) would have taken us higher than 6th. Also the CL group stage exit was solely Onanas fault, if it was for Eric we would have at least reached last 16.

If people expect him to win it next year then no, but I would expect a serious challenge the year after. Then hopefully in 3 years we could do it. That’s just being realistic at where the squad is and where it needs to get to.

But bring in any manager and we are probably looking at the same sort of timeline or maybe longer. Probably set us a year back. At least with ETH he knows who needs to go and what would be beneficial to come in.

Ashworth, new manager would still need time to look at it and decide what needs fixing/ replacing and best way to move forward.

I don’t think it’s sentimentality at all, I just think people realise where we actually are as a club and what needs to happen for us to keep moving forward and see ETH as being the best option currently.

Eventually we’ll get to a place once Ashworth has had some time where it’ll be alright to sack and hire managers at the drop of a hat as we should hopefully have had structured recruitment and be hiring people that would fit the squad profile we have.

We just aren’t there yet to make that work in my opinion.

Am I the only one who would feel for him? With this never seen before injury crisis, no manager in the world (beside the top 3) would have taken us higher than 6th. Also the CL group stage exit was solely Onanas fault, if it was for Eric we would have at least reached last 16.

A big chunk of players who were either out of the team for most of the time (Mount, Malacia, Martinez) or didn't bother putting a shift in (Casemiro, Eriksen, Antony) were his own signings.

Chelsea have had the same amount of injuries leading to 1+ games missed, Tottenham 1 less - They both finished higher. Heck Villa had 83% as many so they were in the same ballpark.

He was manager when we bought Onana and he didn't take him out the team and give him a break when he was making mistake after mistake so that doesn't really work.

So no, 0 sympathy.

What other big club would keep a manager who finished 8th, with a -1 goal difference after spending 400m

So what if he has an injury crisis again next year and ends up 8th again. Then what?

He must hope that he'll win 1 important game so fans can crown him as the second coming of Sir Alex. The CL and the league are so overrated these days. Its the League cup/FA cup that matters

A big chunk of players who were either out of the team for most of the time (Mount, Malacia, Martinez) or didn't bother putting a shift in (Casemiro, Eriksen, Antony) were his own signings.
Antony can and should be criticized for lots of things, but not putting a shift in is just plain nonsense, that is lterally the one thing he does really well

It makes more sense to allow ETH one more year while INEOS sign players for the style of play they have in mind, while giving McKenna a year to manage Ipswich in the PL to see if he can cut the mustard.

I don't fancy any of the touted options, particularly Tuchel, who sees United as a plum job that will look good on his CV. He also comes across as the same kind of incendiary character as Mourinho - a narcissist prone to a complete melt down if he doesn't feel he is adequately backed; exactly the kind of manager United normally go for and precisley the reason we should be avoiding him under the stewardship of INEOS.

Antony can and should be criticized for lots of things, but not putting a shift in is just plain nonsense, that is lterally the one thing he does really well

The trouble is that he's so shit that you struggle to understand whether its down to talent or attitude.

Of course not but (beside) Tuchel all mentioned candidates wouldn’t either, so what’s the point starting at zero again. It’s like not being able to compete in a race with your Volkswagen and then try next year with a Suzuki.

Newcastle and Chelsea had more days lost to injury this season. They finished 4th/5th in xPTS respectively.

We finished 15th in xPTS. The league table doesn't even reflect how bad our performances were this season.

He also hand-picked Onana as our new keeper, so that's on him.

He must hope that he'll win 1 important game so fans can crown him as the second coming of Sir Alex. The CL and the league are so overrated these days. Its the League cup/FA cup that matters
I can taste the tears. Don't worry kid hel probably get sacked.

It makes more sense to allow ETH one more year while INEOS sign players for the style of play they have in mind, while giving McKenna a year to manage Ipswich in the PL to see if he can cut the mustard.

What's success there though? They don't appear to have a particularly strong squad in terms of names e.g. Leicester, nor are they going to have the financial firepower to go out and give him the players required. Pep would struggle to keep them in the PL.

So what if he has an injury crisis again next year and ends up 8th again. Then what?
He'll be sacked long before that if it looks like happening again and we can only hope that when EtH said he had an idea what was causing the injuries, that he really does know.

Again, there's lots to criticize EtH for, no one is disputing that, but the preseason preparation and a medical department that both he and Casemiro have both criticized this season seems to suggest there are a few issues that really do need sorting regardless of the manager. Hopefully these things will be better next season, again regardless of the manager.

Then he needs another 2 or 3 hundred million and more time. Then maybe we will look like a functioning football team.

Or not, but still he might win a league Cup or something and Sir Alex took years to get it right so clearly if you stick with any manager no matter how bad they perform they will turn into the greatest manager to ever live.

Let's just bloody hope Coventry haven't been practicing their penalties.

It clearly is mate when it happened match after match, for the best part of 9 months regardless of which players were on the pitch.

No one could make a plausible case as to why an entire squad would ignore their managers instructions for an entire season and their manager not only allowed it but defended the tactics and performances.

It's far more likely that Erik tried something outside the box, it failed badly. At first he maybe persevered thinking it would click but at some point probably realised himself he got it wrong. But was too proud to abandon it and basically admit he'd messed up.

I'm a bit confused what you're arguing? That he told them to sit deep and the attack to push up and leave midfield empty? Or that they ignored him and did it anyway? Or that they didn't sit deep and I imagined it all?

Anyway it's all academic. He's getting sacked this week and we will end up with Pochel or Thomas Frank if we're unlucky. And then he will have the same problems come August give or take a player or three.

It's a shame that United fans seem content with 16 months of shite football.

It's been 14 years of shite football, let's be real.

I don't fancy any of the touted options, particularly Tuchel, who sees United as a plum job that will look good on his CV. He also comes across as the same kind of incendiary character as Mourinho - a narcissist prone to a complete melt down if he doesn't feel he is adequately backed; exactly the kind of manager United normally go for and precisley the reason we should be avoiding him under the stewardship of INEOS.

Its evident that INEOS were planning to replace him only to pull up the brakes because he won the FA Cup and the fickle fans turned in favor of him. Which kind of kicks all this 'planning' theory nonsense out of the window

Most of them use the same useless arguments about injuries. You'd also find that pre FA Cup win most wanted him out.

It's a shame that United fans seem content with 16 months of shite football.

The fanbase who excel at lowering standards and worshipping managers.

Looks like he’s staying. I’m not actually against I’ve changed my mind a bit. Last chance though, need a strong start to the season or he really is done.
And here is the crux of the argument. If he starts poorly have we wasted another season and transfer window when there was clear evidence to say he wasn't the guy?

Every fan will be baying for Jim's blood, and using the same argument that was used all the time. You need football people to make decisions and not listen to the fans.

I don't agree with that. We threw away loads of points with a decent team out because Erik refused to change his system which was allowing teams to waltz through our midfield at will.

We only finished 6 points behind 5th place. I'm sure plenty of managers could have achieved that by adapting the system to suit the players available.

Of course not but (beside) Tuchel all mentioned candidates wouldn’t either, so what’s the point starting at zero again. It’s like not being able to compete in a race with your Volkswagen and then try next year with a Suzuki.
Well, if that was the case the logical move would be to appoint Tuchel.

What actually is the plan with keeping Ten Hag then if we don't think he could ever take us back to the top? Keep him until he gets us back in the top 4, and then sack him for a manager who can win the league/CL? Because that obviously wouldn't happen, if he survived this season he's never getting sacked if he's finishing in or around top 4.

Is he even the man to progress us to a certain point and lay the foundations for the next manager? Considering he's made us worse after 2 years and we have no identifiable style of play, I'm not sure how he could be seen as a good option for that either.

I like the guy. He needs to fix the glaring issues in the way we play. That's all that matters to me. Next season there can be no excuses.

He's had two years and spent a fortune and not been able to do it. Why do people think its going to magically click in year three?

Somebody seriously needs to design a powerful laser and etch, in massive letters on the surface of the moon, "FRENKIE DE JONG DOESN'T WANT TO feckING COME TO UNITED"

:lol: I'm just saying, his "prototype" is exactly what we should be looking for.

The trouble is that he's so shit that you struggle to understand whether its down to talent or attitude.
Yes you can, all you have to do is compare him to Rashford, the latter has all the talent you need to be an elite level player, Antony doesn't have that talent

McKenna was the only semi-exciting option of those mentioned, so with him staying put then they might aswell let Erik stay. Don't see how Tuchel would fit and he's the second best option.
My sentiment exactly. Also, the positively of winning the cup might be what is needed to bring the squad together and maybe also to build a stronger relationship between the manager and the squad. People can talk all the want about player power, but the moment the players lose their belief in the project, the manager is done, that's just the way it is. I saw enough heartfelt support for Ten Hag after the victory for me to change my vote. Give him another try, and if we are mid table and miserable come Christmas, bring in McKenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.