Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate it’s an emotional rationale. However, on balance, I think he’s a very good manager compared to all of the alternatives. This isn’t Ole, a past it Mourinho, an aged LVG or Moyes. Despite our poor performance this year, ETH is still an elite manager as shown in his first year at United and in glimpses this year - with a huge amount of mitigation in his favour. His transfers have been mixed but no where near as bad as people seem to make out.

We should keep him and the club should back him. The players back him and the fans back him.

It’s objectively riskier sacking him for Tuchel/Poch than it is backing him properly.
Just wondering what makes him “elite”? When I think of elite managers i think of Pep, Klopp, Anceloti. What has ETH done in comparison to be in the elite class?

Just wondering what makes him “elite”? When I think of elite managers i think of Pep, Klopp, Anceloti. What has ETH done in comparison to be in the elite class?
To be fair to him he's literally never had a season where he's not won any silverware. That's quite impressive.

Edit: actually I don't think he won the cup with Utrecht.

Like everyone are clutching straws for information, seeing as Luckhurst saying that we are keeping ETH for sure and then another journalist saying that he is already sacked and we are looking at De Zerbi now :D It's kind of a information war and just leave it until something concrete comes out, sometimes it seems like our club's name just generates so much traffic that the truth doesn't even matter, just to generate clicks.

Hardly playing isn't a positive. If anything it's indicative of just how bad he was.

That's kind of the issue. Antony has played far too much based on his performances. The price tag combined with him being "Ten Hag's man" has lead to this. I will concede that he works hard and that is good. But I still maintain that adjusting for price and playtime he is worse than the likes of Donny, Schneiderlin, Depay, Sanchez and Sancho.

But back on topic.

To be fair to him he's literally never had a season where he's not won any silverware. That's quite impressive.

Edit: actually I don't think he won the cup with Utrecht.
No disrespect to the Dutch but I wouldn’t call their league the toughest

Ten Hag did say Anthony was "unplayable".He is the expert so he sees something in this dud that no one else can. Anthony is the one topic to avoid when defending Ten Hag .It was an unnecessary and criminal waste of money. And no,it was not on Murtough -it was on him.
Ten Hag wanted Antony earlier in the summer, it's absolutely on Murtough that we spent way over the odds on him. Lower fee comes with less pressure. Monumental feck up paying that much so late in the window.

No disrespect to the Dutch but I wouldn’t call their league the toughest
Agreed, but he does know how to win trophies to be fair, wherever he's been. He's no where near the same bracket as the people you've mentioned, but it's a better resume than "plays nice football" award most people go nuts for.

I'll admit: the emotion of Saturday made me sway in my thinking. I was absolutely 'goodbye and good night' after Palace. One of the worst things I've ever witnessed as a supporter. There's little logic to it, the logical decision is definitely for him to go, but there we have it.

What I will say is one way or another, we need an announcement tomorrow latest. This constant speculation benefits no-one.

Ten Hag wanted Antony earlier in the summer, it's absolutely on Murtough that we spent way over the odds on him. Lower fee comes with less pressure. Monumental feck up paying that much so late in the window.
He wanted a striker and there wasn’t an option available so went for any wide player in his contact book and that was Anthony.

He wanted a striker and there wasn’t an option available so went for any wide player in his contact book and that was Anthony.
Even if that's true (it isn't because he requested Antony earlier) -

The fact it's up to a manager to go through his 'contact book' is shambolic. Why they couldn't find him a striker is also shambolic. And why so fecking late in the window!

Agreed, but he does know how to win trophies to be fair, wherever he's been. He's no where near the same bracket as the people you've mentioned, but it's a better resume than "plays nice football" award most people go nuts for.
Agreed but I still wouldn’t use the word elite at this stage

Even if that's true (it isn't because he requested Antony earlier) -

The fact it's up to a manager to go through his 'contact book' is shambolic. Why they couldn't find him a striker is also shambolic. And why so fecking late in the window!
That’s on Murtough. He looked star struck from the moment he laid eyes on ten Hag.

City may drop the ball when Pep leaves next year or when the judgements start raining down. We have to be ready to get in the queue to challenge

so we’re really at the back him or sack him stage. This halfway house idea of keeping him for a few months to see how he does helps nobody, in fact it would hinder us with more media noise and a distraction to the players

Whatever the outcome of this we should be backlisting some of these journos, so clear no one has a scooby and yet write something in affirmative tone and our fan base will jump on it.

so we’re really at the back him or sack him stage. This halfway house idea of keeping him for a few months to see how he does helps nobody, in fact it would hinder us with more media noise and a distraction to the players

The amount this particular line is parroted here really is maddening.

It's fine to be Ten Hag in but you have to accept that means committing to him. And realise that keeping him and not committing to him means just delaying his sacking by a couple of months and wasting another season in turmoil.

I'm stuck on this after being 'Hag out' for a while now. I like the way he has used the younger players and bedded them in, but he has also created the rod for his own back with the Anthony and Mount purchases.
I think i'd like to see if he can implement his 'transitional' style with a mobile DM.
That being said i wouldn't be against a change, as long as we still bed in the best of the youth.
I just don't want to see us buying journeymen again.

It's fine to be Ten Hag in but you have to accept that means committing to him. And realise that keeping him and not committing to him means just delaying his sacking by a couple of months and wasting another season in turmoil.
Yep, money where your mouth is. If they decide he’s the right man, back him and commit to him. He cannot work in uncertainty

It's not even that, you don't have to commit to anything outside of what's normal - just choose whoever you want and judge them on results.

Forget ETH, let's say we hire x, y or z manager tomorrow. If they lose the first 3 games 0-5, you're not stuck with them. 'Oh no, we can't sack him, we backed him in summer'. No one gives feck, you sack someone when you feel there is a better option available, the reason ETH (so far) has not been sacked is because Ineos have either not identified or, probably more likely, not been able to attract someone they feel is 'better'.

He seems to be a winner as evidenced by cup finals and cups. So better than ole in this regard.

but his signings (apart from Martinez and hojund) and style of play is average to boring.

Would prefer a manager who can get our team to actually play with patterns and fluid attacking football.

You’d want them to be thorough and take their time on a decision of this magnitude. Ideally, we’d have Omar and Ashworth on hand to make it but that might be too late, which is why I expect them to end up extending Ten Hag for one more year and bank on fan gratitude from the FA cup.

I agree. The easiest and least risky decision here is to just kick the can down the road one more year once the new directors are embedded. If you replace Ten Hag with De Zerbi, Tuchel or Poch, and it looks
Not really fair on Ineos, that, the reality of the situation is there is no major upgrade on EtH. Tuchel perhaps, but he isn't a 'yes man' by any stretch.

Plus, they really do not want to have the relationship with supporters which the Glazers had. Exceptionally bad for the brand. So they'll be blanch about appointing duds as the PR is difficult to wrangle.

You’re probably right but my larger point is that I’d like to have owners that look proactive and clued up as opposed to knee jerk reaction based on fan sentiment.

Without a doubt. All the horrible performances, all the records broken negatively, -1GD and 8th place have been forgotten just like that

Maybe some on here have been watching the fan channels because they are very pro Erik anyway

He seems to be a winner as evidenced by cup finals and cups. So better than ole in this regard.

but his signings (apart from Martinez and hojund) and style of play is average to boring.

Would prefer a manager who can get our team to actually play with patterns and fluid attacking football.

when he has his first 11 in fairness the football is nice to watch

Yeah, trying to string a review out to a week, when it takes half an hour on a zoom call.

As if INEOS hasn’t been doing a deep analysis on the entire club the second they took over, including the current season.

Just imagining SJR and Berrada sitting down like “alright lads how’d we do this year? Ah I see we won a cup, that’s nice. Hmmm poor season in the league though, what happened there?”

Not sure why the analysis starts now and couldn’t have been done last week it’s 8 days since the league finished and if the fa cup has any baring on his future then maybe the ownership should take a look at themselves because that’s piss poor planning

I thought Wilcox has been casting his eye over it all for a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.