Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question to those saying “but what are the alternatives out there?”

does that mean you would sack him if there was an alternative that you liked?

Sticking with someone that's been proven bad because the alternative might not pan out better - despite you just having had your worst prem finish ever - sure is something

See this is the issue with these aggregator accounts, especially this specific account, this is a line that was buried in an article about Chelsea moving towards Maresca. The exact phrasing was "McKenna also has interest from Manchester United, who look set to part with Erik ten Hag following an end of season review.". It's not the definitive statement that this aggregator account has twisted it into.

Spoken by the same man who managed Antony and Kudus for 2 seasons and chose to sign the former and ignore the latter who cost half the fee.

Kudus started to shine after Anthony was bought. Can't compare the two as they never really played the same timeline

Perhaps those Tuchel rumours are true then, or at least United have been in talks for a while. Would be tough on Tuchel if we've gone for McKenna late on after he rejected Bayern on a promise he's coming here.
Tuchel rejected Bayern because it's a clown show there and he got no assurances that that changes. Nothing to do with United imho.

Spoken by the same man who managed Antony and Kudus for 2 seasons and chose to sign the former and ignore the latter who cost half the fee.

Obviously hobbers on the caf knows far more about football management than ETH

Agree to disagree. I feel the price is squarely on Arnold and Murtough, and their lack of negotiating talent.

As for the Glazers, who doesn’t love spending money that isn’t theirs?! ;)

But that's a very simplistic view. It would have been in ETH's gift to say "Actually, we can get better value for money elsewhere."

It's not like the price will have been a surprise, we'd have known the range they were looking for fairly early. When the seller doesn't really want to sell, knows you're pretty desperate to get that player and has a long term contract you get bent over a barrel, it doesn't matter if you've got Jesus as your negotiator.

He, as with his tactics generally.. seemed entirely inflexible to other options and we HAD to get him no matter the cost.

And what if he's stays and we're still woeful? "Why on earth didn't we sack him?!"

If we're still bad of course there will be hindsight type posts.

Thing is, I find it very easy to find ways not to sack him, and I'm not even 30% as attached to Ten Hag as I was to Ole.

We have two seasons to evaluate here. The first season was very good. Top 4 and a long awaited trophy in a trying season where we played more football than anybody else in Europe. This, mind, after picking up the pieces from what was left after the Rangnick season.

Second season has been poor. Very poor. There is no getting away from that. It's been a season long catastrophe though. Injuries added to poor luck on a scale that I haven't seen at United in 40+ years. Ignore that if you want to - I don't. It's incredibly relevant to the discussion.

Tactics wise I give him a pass for the most part. The chaos football was ridiculous (and also extremely entertaining) but this isn't the way they want us to play football. Of course it isnt! That's beyond question. I see it as a man trying to find a way to get results in uniquely difficult circumstances. If you can't build from the back why not roll the dice?

The fact is I don't believe we have seen Ten Hag football yet. How could we? Season 1 was about dragging an exhausted squad over the line. Season 2 was dragging a depleted squad towards some sort of football. League position got away from us this time, but then we finished the season with something closer to a team, beating the best side on the planet.

I've said already this since Saturday, but sacking him now is probably more dangerous for INEOS than keeping him. If it all goes wrong they're the guys who got rid of a manager who gave us our best season since Ferguson (IMO), and who reached 3 finals in 2 seasons while also developing the roots of what I think could become a monster of a team. A young, very likeable team who seem to have a great culture amongst them.

I realise there are obvious counter arguments to some of this. That's why this thread is so active. I don't expect to change anybodys minds either. This post is more in response to the hundreds of 'I can't fathom how we can keep him' posts plaguing this thread. If you look at his work here in its entirety, then I find it quite easy to advocate another season. What a shame it would be to cut a guy who has delivered some success at a point where we might finally give him some proper support to do his job.

Sticking with someone that's been proven bad because the alternative might not pan out better - despite you just having had your worst prem finish ever - sure is something

I mean, if your vetting process believes the alternatives would be worse, the logical decision is to stick with what you have (using strict guardrails) until a better alternative is found.

I think Tuchel would be great and would happily swap EtH for Tuchel, but if INEOS comes to the conclusion that there isn't anyone out there who fits their criteria for a replacement, then them sticking with EtH makes sense, and it wouldn't be completely illogical from this perspective.

See this is the issue with these aggregator accounts, especially this specific account, this is a line that was buried in an article about Chelsea moving towards Maresca. The exact phrasing was "McKenna also has interest from Manchester United, who look set to part with Erik ten Hag following an end of season review.". It's not the definitive statement that this aggregator account has twisted it into.
He knew exactly what he was doing though.

This bolded bit is a good example of why people think there is a generally unhealthy obsession with managers on here.

If someone were to say that the Glazers treated Elanga like a mug, I really want him to prove them wrong by going on to be the next Ronaldo at a rival club, would that be a sensible thing to say?

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate it’s an emotional rationale. However, on balance, I think he’s a very good manager compared to all of the alternatives. This isn’t Ole, a past it Mourinho, an aged LVG or Moyes. Despite our poor performance this year, ETH is still an elite manager as shown in his first year at United and in glimpses this year - with a huge amount of mitigation in his favour. His transfers have been mixed but no where near as bad as people seem to make out.

We should keep him and the club should back him. The players back him and the fans back him.

It’s objectively riskier sacking him for Tuchel/Poch than it is backing him properly.

Obviously hobbers on the caf knows far more about football management than ETH

Obviously ETH knows far more about football management than any single person who dares criticise him when he's masterminding 4 points in CL group stage and negative goal difference over an entire season.

Serious question: does really almost everyone here believe in everything what those media are writing? It’s ridiculous.

I mean, if your vetting process believes the alternatives would be worse, the logical decision is to stick with what you have (using strict guardrails) until a better alternative is found.

I think Tuchel would be great and would happily swap EtH for Tuchel, but if INEOS comes to the conclusion that there isn't anyone out there who fits their criteria for a replacement, then them sticking with EtH makes sense, and it wouldn't be completely illogical from this perspective.

Golden Blunder's question was posed to Redcafe posters - and my subsequent comment was about posters/opinions here too. Not INEOS/management

So we shouldn’t dare criticize Ten Hag unless we had experience in football management ourselves? What an ad hominem attack - Ten Hag should also have no business criticizing refereeing decisions because he’s never been one, didn’t stop him from doing it though. A massive hypocrite.

So we shouldn’t dare criticize Ten Hag unless we had experience in football management ourselves?

Even then, I dont think we're allowed to criticise ETH's decisions unless we've won 4 farmers league titles in the Eredivisie and at least 2 domestic cups.

So we shouldn’t dare criticize Ten Hag unless we had experience in football management ourselves? What an ad hominem attack - Ten Hag should also have no business criticizing refereeing decisions because he’s never been one, didn’t stop him from doing it though. A massive hypocrite.
Shut down the forum. Newbies can only graduate if they provide evidence of their coaching badges and titles.

The problem with all the arguments to keep is, we know for a fact if Ten Hag had just finished 8th with Spurs and won the FA cup, the same people wouldn't be arguing for us to hire him. You only have to look at the way potential replacements are spoken about so negatively to see this.

Tuchel rejected Bayern because it's a clown show there and he got no assurances that that changes. Nothing to do with United imho.

No I mean the last 4 weeks.

There is a recent report out there Bayern feel he's been promised the job here and why he rejected them again. Before it was he rejected Bayern long ago for the reasons you said and wanted a return to England. If he had nothing lined up with weeks to go and Bayern coming back he may have stayed. Who knows, he may be joining Newcastle but I'd guess he has something lined up or think he has.

Feel free to criticize the players, football executives, or other football managers though. For some reason the same standard doesn't apply to them.

The only person IMO who is the right level to replace Ten Hag is Tuchel. McKenna long term sure, but he should go to Brighton. Tuchel is a good manager and would be my vote, but generally I'd give ten hag another year after winning the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.