Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have faith, have some patience. Two trophies in two seasons is a good achievement. Keep him for his strengths and cover his weaknesses (recruitment).

What are his strengths? He's just not as good as people thought. We shouldn't have even been in the final after getting pushed to the limit by Coventry. I'm glad we win it obviously, but let's be real about it.

I feel like the last few matches the penny may have dropped too late. You need to be compact in the middle. Injuries don’t excuse that. Amrabat has been available most of the season and could have been shoring the middle up. He may not be the best passer and as slow as a ship turning but he’s a warrior. I feel we may have won or drawn a few of those 19 we lost if he has played a double pivot with him

Mental that a significant part of the fan base has chosen to ignore 50 some odd matches over the course of the season and based on one result where we set up in the simplest way possible, make an about face and suddenly want him to continue as manager.
Bingo

I feel like the last few matches the penny may have dropped too late. You need to be compact in the middle. Injuries don’t excuse that. Amrabat has been available most of the season and could have been shoring the middle up. He may not be the best passer and as slow as a ship turning but he’s a warrior. I feel we may have won or drawn a few of those 19 we lost if he has played a double pivot with him
Yep exactly this, I was saying earlier in the thread that we only finished 8 points behind Villa in the end, a few more compact performances and not being so open and we easily would've got an extra 9 points.

He’d still have a job if he’d set us up properly all season. Actually doing your job in a cup final doesn’t buy you 50 more games unfortunately. Thanks, it’s been emotional, good luck in the future
Genuine question.

Lets say we improve in a few areas over the summer and set up the way that he have done in the last 3 games, what do you think would happen?

I'm pretty certain we would push very hard for top four at the minimum.

One thing you can say for Amrabat, Mainoo is at his best playing next to him. Unlike Casemiro who just makes everyone around him look worse.

Fantastic result and greatly improves the overall look of his tenure here, much much bigger than the League Cup last year which was of fairly limited importance.

Seeing Martinez and Varanne today vindicated him a bit for me. We have missed them immensely. No doubt we would have been much better off with them.

You have to understand that many aren't best pleased we just won the Cup against a team bank rolled by a nation state. People want their opinions to be vindicated and a loss in the final would've given them more ammunition to fire at ten Hag.

I've consistently said that with the injuries the team has suffered, it made ten Hag change his strategy where he went more direct and tried implementing a proactive style via forcing high turn-overs. We didn't have the players in the build up phase to play out of a press with players consistently being unavailable and also having other positions further forward being disrupted by injury. So playing direct and trying to force high turnovers was the go to method because playing compact in a lower block wasn't going to develop the team in a proactive way but we would've rather carried on playing in a reactive manner. But as you saw today, when you have a GK who isn't a nervous wreck on the ball, a CB like Martinez who is comfortable in small spaces and a player like Amrabat who is much more comfortable in small spaces compared to Casemiro, then you have a strong platform at the back with the added ability of Mainoo and Dalot. This performance wasn't a hit and hope and we actually had composure on the ball for periods or else you just don't beat a City team that is one of the best teams in the world.

Whether they keep him or let him go, what he's done is that he's created a very strong foundation by removing the likes of Ronaldo and De Gea and introducing several youth players who many on this forum doubted before their arrival. The next coach will have strong foundations to work with as far as developing a proactive attacking team.

I think your last paragraph is something a lot of people haven't really realized. We have a good foundation to build upon, if you take a look at our teenagers and some of the early-to-mid-20s players: Mainoo, Garnacho, Kambwala, Hojlund, Amad, Malacia, Dalot, Mount, Martínez, and then I'd add Rashford, Shaw and Onana as more senior players but with still several years left in them. A few players could make a comeback under a new coach too, IMO, like Maguire for example. And then I haven't even mentioned the biggest prospects in the academy like Amass or Lacey, for example, but that isn't down to ETH.

If we ditch the Glazers' "maximum of 3 significant arrivals per season" limitation of the transfer policy, and sign at least 4, but ideally 5 or 6 players this summer, who can contribute from day 1, I think we have a really exciting young core to build on.

Edit: Whether that's with or without ETH, I'm not sure. Just hope we make the right appointment if we part ways with the current manager.

It’s not that he finally got it, it’s that he realised he’s losing his job and he has to show potential employers that he can actually set a team up to win games instead of working towards a system that his players can’t play.

It would appear that he spent the entire season trying to coach the players into playing a certain way, which they can’t, so he’s intentionally or unintentionally thrown them under the bus in the process.

He should have just tried to get the best out of them and tweak the system as new players are made available to him. You have to win games first and foremost as the manager of Manchester United.

You have to understand that many aren't best pleased we just won the Cup against a team bank rolled by a nation state. People want their opinions to be vindicated and a loss in the final would've given them more ammunition to fire at ten Hag.

I've consistently said that with the injuries the team has suffered, it made ten Hag change his strategy where he went more direct and tried implementing a proactive style via forcing high turn-overs. We didn't have the players in the build up phase to play out of a press with players consistently being unavailable and also having other positions further forward being disrupted by injury. So playing direct and trying to force high turnovers was the go to method because playing compact in a lower block wasn't going to develop the team in a proactive way but we would've rather carried on playing in a reactive manner. But as you saw today, when you have a GK who isn't a nervous wreck on the ball, a CB like Martinez who is comfortable in small spaces and a player like Amrabat who is much more comfortable in small spaces compared to Casemiro, then you have a strong platform at the back with the added ability of Mainoo and Dalot. This performance wasn't a hit and hope and we actually had composure on the ball for periods or else you just don't beat a City team that is one of the best teams in the world.

Whether they keep him or let him go, what he's done is that he's created a very strong foundation by removing the likes of Ronaldo and De Gea and introducing several youth players who many on this forum doubted before their arrival. The next coach will have strong foundations to work with as far as developing a proactive attacking team.

Well said, as someone who lost faith in him and still think he should be gone / at least be on his last chance, I absolutely give credit to him for dealing with all these off field issues well and bringing through some fantastic youngsters to the fold. He will leave this club (if he does) better off than most other managers did - at least the next guy will have something to build on.

Bad performances aside, I give him respect where it’s due - and I do wish that this sacking situation would’ve been dealt with in a classier manner, just not what I’d like to see from the club. Hope whoever leaked that story gets found out and sacked on Monday morning.

Erik’s a class guy when you see the relationship he has with his players, so as a fan I can only wish him the best regardless of what the execs decide.

I think your last paragraph is something a lot of people haven't really realized. We have a good foundation to build upon, if you take a look at our teenagers and some of the early-to-mid-20s players: Mainoo, Garnacho, Kambwala, Hojlund, Amad, Malacia, Dalot, Mount, Martínez, and then I'd add Rashford, Shaw and Onana as more senior players but with still several years left in them. A few players could make a comeback under a new coach too, IMO, like Maguire for example. And then I haven't even mentioned the biggest prospects in the academy like Amass or Lacey, for example, but that isn't down to ETH.

If we ditch the Glazers' "maximum of 3 significant arrivals per season" limitation of the transfer policy, and sign at least 4, but ideally 5 or 6 players this summer, who can contribute from day 1, I think we have a really exciting young core to build on.
We def need 5 or 6.
Evans, lindelof or Maguire, varane, Eriksen, casemiro, amrabat, martial . That's atleast 7 we are losing. Probably even more

It seems he wasn’t answering questions regardless of the topic

His non answer is all the answer you need.

To be fair if you don't buy into his project, today proves nothing since he played a completely different way.

Genuine question.

Lets say we improve in a few areas over the summer and set up the way that he have done in the last 3 games, what do you think would happen?

I'm pretty certain we would push very hard for top four at the minimum.
Genuine answer, I’d have absolutely no issues with him getting another season if he dropped this shit system he’s been pushing on us for 45 games.

I believe he decided to play a certain way this season (his way) in hopes to coach the players into how he wants them to play. The issue is we’ve had injuries and they simply can’t do it, although I’m not sure anyone can at this level.

When you play a system that highlights the weaknesses of the players you currently manage, you’re essentially feeding them to the wolves every week. Rightly or wrongly, lads like Maguire will feel they’ve earned their United move and now it’s being stolen from them by a manager who’s decided he can’t play in defence because he’s not left footed. Boom, there goes all mutual respect.

I’d have way more patience with the manager if we’d absolutely stunk the place out all season but won most of our games. We’d also have achieved top 4 with ease and that’s always a platform to build upon and bring better players in.

It’s unfortunate but it is what it is now.

ETH post-match press conference will be live on Sky Sports News soon for anyone that wants to watch. Not turned up yet (may be currently being sacked :wenger:)

We weren't even that great last season 22/23. Go to the end of season thread and you'll see almost everybody saying they want to see a clear style of play and an improvement on our football.

Yeah, the performances admittedly fell off a cliff after the EFL cup final. However, we weren't that great under Mourinho either. You can mention the 81 point season, or the 3 cups, but we were all there, we weren't good and the environment was always close to becoming toxic. And with context provided, it becomes clear that those 3 trophies and the 81 point season aren't all that special either. Ole finished on 74 points when we had nothing to play for after matchweek 34. ETH finished on 75 points without a striker. We lost the EL because of De Gea and a Maguire injury. It just doesn't make sense to me that people would have completely different opinions on Mourinho and Solskjaer, for example, if you change literally just 1 moment in each United stints. If Guidetti buries the chance in the semi-finals, Mourinho doesn't win the Europa League. If De Gea doesn't have a horrific penalty shootout performance, Ole wins the Europa League. Judging a 2 and 3 year stint respectively based off of two moments that could've gone either way is just incredibly flawed logic, especially that both things were out of their hands.

Genuine answer, I’d have absolutely no issues with him getting another season if he dropped this shit system he’s been pushing on us for 45 games.

I believe he decided to play a certain way this season (his way) in hopes to coach the players into how he wants them to play. The issue is we’ve had injuries and they simply can’t do it, although I’m not sure anyone can at this level.

When you play a system that highlights the weaknesses of the players you currently manage, you’re essentially feeding them to the wolves every week. Rightly or wrongly, lads like Maguire will feel they’ve earned their United move and now it’s being stolen from them by a manager who’s decided he can’t play in defence because he’s not left footed. Boom, there goes all mutual respect.

I’d have way more patience with the manager if we’d absolutely stunk the place out all season but won most of our games. We’d also have achieved top 4 with ease and that’s always a platform to build upon and bring better players in.

It’s unfortunate but it is what it is now.
Fair enough. I don't disagree. Just seems to me like he has figured out where we are going wrong (finally) in the last few weeks.

Seeing Martinez and Varanne today vindicated him a bit for me. We have missed them immensely. No doubt we would have been much better off with them.
They were both fantastic, but, as @golden_blunder says above, it's more about how he finally adjusted the midfield. Martinez and Varane would have struggled had we continued with that one man alone on an island approach, too. The fact that we looked better in every game since playing Amrabat with Mainoo regardless of our CB pairing this past month or so just shows how much of a problem that tactic was.

They were both fantastic, but, as @golden_blunder says above, it's more about how he finally adjusted the midfield. Martinez and Varane would have struggled had we continued with that one man alone on an island approach, too. The fact that we looked better in every game since playing Amrabat with Mainoo regardless of our CB pairing this past month or so just shows how much of a problem that tactic was.
I agree to an extent. I think it's a combination of both.

We def need 5 or 6.
Evans, lindelof or Maguire, varane, Eriksen, casemiro, amrabat, martial . That's atleast 7 we are losing. Probably even more

Not sure all 3 CBs leave, to be honest. Not sure Eriksen leaves either. We also don't necessarily have to replace everyone. 7 "significant" arrivals is rather unlikely in my opinion, although Chelsea have showed us it's not impossible. Might not be sensible, though. We'll see.

He’d still have a job if he’d set us up properly all season. Actually doing your job in a cup final doesn’t buy you 50 more games unfortunately. Thanks, it’s been emotional, good luck in the future
What do you do for a living? Assuming it's not managing a football club at the highest level, clearly you should switch jobs mate (unless you earn more money doing what you do now).

Evans coming in and performed just as well, the only thing vindicated is that he has been making pathetic excuses for shit performance and results. As has been shown that by not leaving the midfield open we actually can be decent.

It makes it worse.

There is two possible scenarios

He was working towards his system in the long term but got told he’s being fired so he changed to making it about results.

Or

He got told he’s safe but results need to be better and we’ll work longer term on being a more forward-thinking team.

I could see both being true tbh. I also think the last couple of games were in part just preparing for today.

Evans coming in and performed just as well, the only thing vindicated is that he has been making pathetic excuses for shit performance and results. As has been shown that by not leaving the midfield open we actually can be decent.
Disagree respectfully. Rapha and Licha did so much good work in the first 70 minutes that it's difficult to imagine us doing that well without them. The better midfield structure helped though granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.