Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming across very well on the ITV interview
Roy said to him
"I won a championship at Sunderland, gimme some credit for that" :lol:

Sort of interview from the BBC that SAF would have banned them for life for.

Ten Hag should never have been in this position. Due to the handling by United (and INEOS), he’s now facing personal direct attacks on the day he’s won the FA Cup. Either sack him early, or say nothing and make the decision after the final. Stupid from INEOS to “inform United” of their decision prior to the final, knowing it’s likely getting leaked.

Feel for the bald cnut.

If this is his swansong then Ten Hag can only blame himself. He showed last season that he was capable of setting up a compact team that can absorb pressure and make the most of counters. He did it again today. Had he been willing to adjust earlier in the season we wouldn't have been giving up 20 shots a game and we probably would've qualified for the Champions League. Stubbornness has been his fatal flaw. He may prefer Total Football to Mourinho ball but at least six months ago he should've seen the writing on the wall and changed things up. At least if he's sacked he can say he went out trying to be true to his idea of how we should play...
Yep.

The most bizarre of the post-Fergie managers. Makes no sense.

I’d go as far as saying this is the best day as a united supporter in 11 years but he should still be sacked, we grinded it out today but we’ll go nowhere long term with him, thanks for today though Erik

We were reaching semis and finals before, a little luck here and there is the difference. Not like we have not won these trophies after SAF was gone. The league and CL are still distant.
Luck is also what you can say about his performance in league with injuries. You said we are a cup team with no victories. Then how are we cup team?

Pep ungracious prick as ever.

We were reaching semis and finals before, a little luck here and there is the difference. Not like we have not won these trophies after SAF was gone. The league and CL are still distant.
It’s still huge to win 2 trophies in 2 years after none for 4. Nobody cares about semi finals and finals. We went through a long trophy draught and he corrected that. For that I am grateful. It’s not enough for him to stay but still a big positive.

I mean you can but this is the top thread on the day we won the cup, have a day off
It’s the Ten Hag thread… if you want to focus on the game itself, there’s the post match thread, where I have also posted regarding the match itself I a very positive manner.

Pep needs another dose of whatever batch of drugs he abuses. Weirdo

The clamour for giving him another chance now is as reactionary and short sighted as the calls to give Ole the permanent contract after the PSG win.

This is what you hope Ineos can do better than Woodward, take emotion out of everything and keep every decision to brains only.
Yes, and you're a great judge of brains, clearly.

Jesus, why aren't you guys celebrating, I'm on my way to the pub!
Leave the arguing for tomorrow, drink now!
We fecked Pep from behind! CHEERS!

I've always wanted him sacked..however..

I feel like he has finally found the right tactics for this 'transitional team'.

I've seen it from pre-season,

We always looked better with a False 9 because we need a deeper lying creator for our dangerous inverted wingers especially in counter attacks. This is why Sancho looked good in pre-season & even Martial as far as under Ole.

That's not a dag at Hojlund - it's like playing David Villa at LW trying to create for Lewandowski rather than Messi trying to create for David Villa - no matter the quality of players, one tactic is better than the other with the type of players at your disposal.

It's the same with Amrabat - he has played as a False 3rd CB instead of a higher CDM - allowing us to have a false diamond shape in midfield with both a false CB and a False 9 playing like shadow CDM & CAM's.

Ten Hag's not the right manager judging a players quality as seen by his poor signings - but he has finally found the right tactics & the tactics i have wanted since Sancho played False 9 in pre-season.

I've now changed my mind & fine with him staying aslong as the signings are not dictated by him at all purely because he is playing the tactics i have wanted arguably since Ole's 2nd seasons counter attacking team where we the 2nd best team in England. Changing the manager now may make us restart us finding the 'right tactic' over 2 or more seasons.

Ten Hag In changed from Out - not because of a cup win, but because of his tactics in the last 3 matches. If he started Hojlund today & not play the false 9 tactic then i doubt we would have won and i would have wanted him sacked for sticking to the tactic that hadn't worked out for a whole season.
Basing such evaluations on the last 3 games is incredibly shortsighted though. I am sorry. We still conceded so many shots in the last three games and today was going back to the most game plan there is, keep it tight and try to counter. That is not a tactic. Have you guys not learned anything from the Ole times? He had exactly the same plan and where did we go from there? To opponents giving the ball to us and not offer any space to counter. Thats not the way forward. We play the match today 10 times and I am sure we find ways to lose it at least 5 times.

Mixed feelings.

The players turned out to play today .…shame for ETH they couldn’t be arsed during the season.

Do you not think its down to tactics? In the tougher games, we tend to set up in a mid block, but I think had he had a bit more structure throughout the season in the games we were expected to win, then we'd have done a lot better.

He went from a double pivot to a single pivot and ultimately, I think that's what done him over.

The writing is on the wall, he's really trying to sell himself in the post game interviews.

Should have rubbed his medal on his Shearers bald head too

"So tell me Alan how do you think that Newcastle feel that we first took Ashworth and then we knocked them out of European football? Here's one to you too Gary. What it takes for a Spurs legend to win the league without actually playing for us?. Surely you don't need to crap in your pants to answer this"

Happy for Erik whether he stays or hes off, thanks Erik for the two trophies. On a side note can we start a petition to get motd to replace Lineaker and co....fed up of them.

Beating this 115 side in a cup final is a fantastic achievement. It is difficult to predict whether any other manager would do better with those injuries. His team can play football as shown by ajax. I will still give him one more season but not the licence to transfer dealings.

He is really the biggest sore loser. 115 charges… says he’s leaving after next season, maybe because he knows they are fecking cheaters

TBF SAF was never a bundle of joy whenever we lost a final

Luck is also what you can say about his performance in league with injuries. You said we are a cup team with no victories. Then how are we cup team?

No, you can't. He was shit in the league no matter who played, even with a full squad. He may had to shuffle the defense, but he still had some very good CBs available.most of the season. Our attack has been mostly the same and that is crap as well. Our midfield has been abysmal all season.

We have victories in the cup, with Jose, LVG and even Ole reached semis and finals. Doing well only in cup competitions is the definition of a cup team.

Jose won trophies, Ole didn't. Of course Jose was better than him.

Well i can understand you not liking his football but he's the only manager to get 80+ points, and he won two trophies so...there is an argument.

I do think that his style of football is something we're still suffering from though.

Look at the teams he had to beat for those 3 trophies

Leicester in the Community Shield

Northampton, City (who were playing a B team and weren't the best team in the world anyways at that time) West Ham, Hull City and Southampton in the EFL Cup

Feyenoord, Zorya Luhansk, Fenerbahce, Saint-Etienne, Rostov, Anderlecht, Celta Vigo (where we were lucky that Guidetti missed a huge chance in the last minute as we would've been out on away goals) and Ajax in the Europa League

Please be serious :lol:

ETH beating La Liga champions Barcelona last season in the EL, and beating the best team in the world just now, as well as Ole knocking PSG out of the CL are all more impressive cup performances than the lucky cup runs Jose got. Ole also knocked out Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool from the FA Cup.

Just the smallest bit of context provided makes it clear that Jose got incredibly lucky that he never met a single team in those 3 cup runs where United weren't comfortably favorites to go through or win the trophy in the case of the 3 finals.

I don't like to use this word but Jose's PR is genuinely crazy. The Mourinho and Ronaldo cults will cling onto anything and spin it their way. He's way closer to LVG and Moyes than he is to Ole or ETH.

Edit: Forgot two impressive cup performances that came against better teams than what Jose had to face on his 3 cup winning runs: The EFL final vs Newcastle and the 4-3 Liverpool game from this season.

Last edited:
Beating this 115 side in a cup final is a fantastic achievement. It is difficult to predict whether any other manager would do better with those injuries. His team can play football as shown by ajax. I will still give him one more season but not the licence to transfer dealings.
Regardless of his future here, people HAVE to give him credit it for that. That wasn't just a smash and grab either, we rode our luck a bit at times in the second half but if we'd been a bit calmer we could have scored a third. He outclassed Pep in this game. No question.

Some of ye miserable gits really can't help yourselves, even on a day like today. I'm not even ETH in but I can still enjoy this.
You have to understand that many aren't best pleased we just won the Cup against a team bank rolled by a nation state. People want their opinions to be vindicated and a loss in the final would've given them more ammunition to fire at ten Hag.

I've consistently said that with the injuries the team has suffered, it made ten Hag change his strategy where he went more direct and tried implementing a proactive style via forcing high turn-overs. We didn't have the players in the build up phase to play out of a press with players consistently being unavailable and also having other positions further forward being disrupted by injury. So playing direct and trying to force high turnovers was the go to method because playing compact in a lower block wasn't going to develop the team in a proactive way but we would've rather carried on playing in a reactive manner. But as you saw today, when you have a GK who isn't a nervous wreck on the ball, a CB like Martinez who is comfortable in small spaces and a player like Amrabat who is much more comfortable in small spaces compared to Casemiro, then you have a strong platform at the back with the added ability of Mainoo and Dalot. This performance wasn't a hit and hope and we actually had composure on the ball for periods or else you just don't beat a City team that is one of the best teams in the world.

Whether they keep him or let him go, what he's done is that he's created a very strong foundation by removing the likes of Ronaldo and De Gea and introducing several youth players who many on this forum doubted before their arrival. The next coach will have strong foundations to work with as far as developing a proactive attacking team.

Status
Not open for further replies.