Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have faith, have some patience. Two trophies in two seasons is a good achievement. Keep him for his strengths and cover his weaknesses (recruitment).

It’s still huge to win 2 trophies in 2 years after none for 4. Nobody cares about semi finals and finals. We went through a long trophy draught and he corrected that. For that I am grateful. It’s not enough for him to stay but still a big positive.

To me it is not that huge,when considering the huge money being poured in the team. Semis and finals show that we were not that far off, so it is not nothing. We are not some championship club achieving the impossible. We have been a good cup team before ETH, and still are. It is not a huge achievement for me, especially when we have nothing else to fight for.

"So tell me Alan how do you think that Newcastle feel that we first took Ashworth and then we knocked them out of European football? Here's one to you too Gary. What it takes for a Spurs legend to win the league without actually playing for us?. Surely you don't need to crap in your pants to answer this"

ITV interview with ETH was excellent: fair, respectful and asked the key question at the end. Gary and Alan have and will always be bitter when it comes to United. ETH has outperformed Klopp over his two seasons yet is likely sacked shows the difference between the two clubs and expectations.

I like the idea of McKenna and think he'll be a great manager in the future, but I think ten Hag deserves another chance.

Those of us old enough to remember 89/90 should understand why.

It takes time to right a ship that was as wrong as United has been.

Has he made great signings, on the whole no, but SAFs signings were hardly stellar while he was trying to fix the team in the 80's, some of them came good, but it didn't look that way in 1990.

Has he made mistakes this season, of course, but he's been dealing with an injury crisis and a severe decline in last seasons most important player. When he has had his most important players available, like today, we've looked like a proper football team capable of challenging the best.

Could we have finished 4th if he'd been more pragmatic, possibly, but hindsight is 20/20.

Every manager has poor seasons and makes bad decisions. Look at Klopp's last season at Dortmund, his first season at Liverpool, last season when they nearly missed the CL. Look at Guardiola's first season at City. Look at Arteta's second season at Arsenal.

If the reports in the Guardian are to be believed then it is a moot point, but what cannot be denied is some United 'fans' need to learn some patience and take a long term view. Chopping and changing the manger because of one bad season isn't the best strategy for creating a successful football club, it is one of the reasons for the state we are in.

If this had been the sort of performance we were seeing even semi-regularly through the season. If these players had looked arsed even 50% as much as they were today. If there had been a hint of this during the season then I'd probably be looking to keep him even if we still ended up where we did.

One way to look at it is that the leak got out about EtH going and the players did it for him!..

... Another way to look at it is that the players have been bumming around all season because they want him out, and once they heard that he's gone they decided to put in a shift.

Does that mean he's bad, or does that mean that enough of the players have been trying to get rid of him that it's looked that way?

Either way, I think that some of these players need to be moved on as quickly as possible, even if we can't sell, send them on loan or something for the good of the squad.

To me it is not that huge,when considering the huge money being poured in the team. Semis and finals show that we were not that far off, so it is not nothing. We are not some championship club achieving the impossible. We have been a good cup team before ETH, and still are. It is not a huge achievement for me, especially when we have nothing else to fight for.
We didn't achieve the impossible of course. I wouldn't say that we need to replace if we had. But at the end of the day, the player's step on to the pitch to win trophies. We had won none for four years and now have 2 in 2. That is what the history books will say so for that, it's a big thank you to ETH even if he wasn't good enough.

We can be simultaneously happy that we won the FA Cup and also happy that he is leaving. If you can’t understand that, I feel sorry for you.
Oh no, DSG off the caf feels sorry for me, whatever will I do....

Loving it. Loving it that he gave every pessimist something to think about. Loving it that he point the middle finger to all those experts and journalist who were just there to throw everything negative at him.

Whatever happens now in his staying or going he won a trophy and gave us something to be happy for.

I'm seeing mostly comments saying thanks and goodbye there's hardly much bitterness being spewed. You ETH inners who are gutted that he's leaving are the ones being bitter.
I'm not an ETH inner at all actually, and haven't been for months, but thanks for playing.

If this is his swansong then Ten Hag can only blame himself. He showed last season that he was capable of setting up a compact team that can absorb pressure and make the most of counters. He did it again today. Had he been willing to adjust earlier in the season we wouldn't have been giving up 20 shots a game and we probably would've qualified for the Champions League. Stubbornness has been his fatal flaw. He may prefer Total Football to Mourinho ball but at least six months ago he should've seen the writing on the wall and changed things up. At least if he's sacked he can say he went out trying to be true to his idea of how we should play...

Exactly this. He's shown a superb tactical ability this last few games yet oversaw months of having huge gaps in the middle.

That's why as harsh as it sounds to change manager after a cup win, coming 8th is just scandalous.

In the ITV interview when asked if he'll be here next season he actually says 'I have no doubt, but it's not up to me'

You have to understand that many aren't best pleased we just won the Cup against a team bank rolled by a nation state. People want their opinions to be vindicated and a loss in the final would've given them more ammunition to fire at ten Hag.

I've consistently said that with the injuries the team has suffered, it made ten Hag change his strategy where he went more direct and tried implementing a proactive style via forcing high turn-overs. We didn't have the players in the build up phase to play out of a press with players consistently being unavailable and also having other positions further forward being disrupted by injury. So playing direct and trying to force high turnovers was the go to method because playing compact in a lower block wasn't going to develop the team in a proactive way but we would've rather carried on playing in a reactive manner. But as you saw today, when you have a GK who isn't a nervous wreck on the ball, a CB like Martinez who is comfortable in small spaces and a player like Amrabat who is much more comfortable in small spaces compared to Casemiro, then you have a strong platform at the back with the added ability of Mainoo and Dalot. This performance wasn't a hit and hope and we actually had composure on the ball for periods or else you just don't beat a City team that is one of the best teams in the world.

Whether they keep him or let him go, what he's done is that he's created a very strong foundation by removing the likes of Ronaldo and De Gea and introducing several youth players who many on this forum doubted before their arrival. The next coach will have strong foundations to work with as far as developing a proactive attacking team.
Great post, and I agree.

I've always wanted him sacked..however..

I feel like he has finally found the right tactics for this 'transitional team'.

Sorry but no. I'm ETH in but he played on the counter today. I'd rather sack him than do that again

You have to understand that many aren't best pleased we just won the Cup against a team bank rolled by a nation state. People want their opinions to be vindicated and a loss in the final would've given them more ammunition to fire at ten Hag.

I've consistently said that with the injuries the team has suffered, it made ten Hag change his strategy where he went more direct and tried implementing a proactive style via forcing high turn-overs. We didn't have the players in the build up phase to play out of a press with players consistently being unavailable and also having other positions further forward being disrupted by injury. So playing direct and trying to force high turnovers was the go to method because playing compact in a lower block wasn't going to develop the team in a proactive way but we would've rather carried on playing in a reactive manner. But as you saw today, when you have a GK who isn't a nervous wreck on the ball, a CB like Martinez who is comfortable in small spaces and a player like Amrabat who is much more comfortable in small spaces compared to Casemiro, then you have a strong platform at the back with the added ability of Mainoo and Dalot. This performance wasn't a hit and hope and we actually had composure on the ball for periods or else you just don't beat a City team that is one of the best teams in the world.

Whether they keep him or let him go, what he's done is that he's created a very strong foundation by removing the likes of Ronaldo and De Gea and introducing several youth players who many on this forum doubted before their arrival. The next coach will have strong foundations to work with as far as developing a proactive attacking team.

Good post as always mate. Did you make it to the final?

2 trophies in two seasons is not to be scoffed at no matter how terrible was the league campaign. Only the second manager in the last eleven years to win multiple cups at the club.

It's his day today.

We come back the pedantic discussions and bickering after a couple of days. Hope the decision makers look at this holistically. At the end of the day it's their job to get the club where it belongs. We can only have meaningless discussions with no real effect on things.

Agree with this 100%

People used it as a stick to beat Ole with. They use the lack of trophies as criticism of managers in line for the job.

The fact is he’s made three finals and won two and that’s good work. Regardless of league form he’s also beaten good sides to win those cups.

He's figured out, with basically three weeks of the entire season left, that playing without bodies in midfield is suicidal in the EPL.

The Palace game in which the penny finally dropped, and Amrabat doing a good job defensively helping out an overtasked defence, has probably given him another season.

I just don't get why it took him so long to figure out what was blatantly obvious to everyone else, whether it is sheer stubborness or deluded optimism. You have to have someone in midfield who is capable of screening the defence and doubling up on wingers. You have to have someone in the midfield capable of competing in duels. We've put out midfields that have barely put pressure on the ball and who have had no defensive positional awareness. Thinking particularly of the Forest game in which McTom was subbed on to play DM.

2 trophies in two seasons is not to be scoffed at no matter how terrible was the league campaign. Only the second manager in the last eleven years to win multiple cups at the club.

It's his day today.

We come back the pedantic discussions and bickering after a couple of days. Hope the decision makers look at this holistically. At the end of the day it's their job to get the club where it belongs. We can only have meaningless discussions with no real effect on things.
Only Jose and ETH won two trophies right?

That's a load of shit. Every fan in here is thrilled that we won, whether or not we believe ETH is the man to take us forward.

excellent post

I feel like this will need an update soon.

The-Last-Supper-Leonardo-Da-Vinci-High-Resolution-32x16.png

He's figured out, with basically three weeks of the entire season left, that playing without bodies in midfield is suicidal in the EPL.

The Palace game in which the penny finally dropped, and Amrabat doing a good job defensively helping out an overtasked defence, has probably given him another season.

I just don't get why it took him so long to figure out what was blatantly obvious to everyone else. You have to have someone in midfield who is capable of screening the defence and doubling up on wingers. You have to have someone in the midfield capable of competing in duels. We've put out midfields that have barely put pressure on the ball and who have had no defensive positional awareness.

Now, we should go out and sign a quality DM like Zubimendi and have Amrabat as backup. But he should never ever experiment with that useless 4-1-4-1 formation again.
Yep. Figured it out far too late. Look how compact we’ve been since that Palace shitshow. Clearly the tactics at play.

Ole and ETH both better than Jose, please stop with this awful narrative that Mourinho is our best manager post Ferguson. We weren't good under him. Ole's 20/21 and ten Hag's 22/23 sides were both better than anything Jose produced. We were shit, there was always tension, and the football was worse than our peaks under Ole and ten Hag.

We weren't even that great last season 22/23. Go to the end of season thread and you'll see almost everybody saying they want to see a clear style of play and an improvement on our football.

Regardless of which side of the fence you’re on, let’s save the talk on his achievements/underperformance for another day. It’s Ten Hag’s day today. Congratulations on another cup win.

That's a load of shit. Every fan in here is thrilled that we won, whether or not we believe ETH is the man to take us forward.
Im not sure how you can speak for all the people on here but it's evident to me that there's some who are not happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.