Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume they can't do it in the EPL because they're too slow and turn like oil tankers so a ball past them and they are in a losing foot race. I have heard it said we have a much faster paced game than other leagues.
Yeah. With the speed of PL forwards to deal with, there’s just no way. Sure, he handled MBappe with the high line and slow CBs, but MBappe is slow as feck. And those guys in the Bundesliga like Davies, Frimpong, Sane, etc, clearly too slow for the PL :wenger:

Wtf is this? If you're a United fan, have a word. If you're not, well the forum rules don't allow me to tell you where you can place that liar's bald head.
I think that guy has an agenda. He’s possibly a relative of Ten Hag. No worries, once Ten Hag is sacked, he’ll leave the Caf and follow Ten Hag to the Belgian league or wherever he ends up.

Ten Hag’s fan boys won’t have this as an excuse. They won’t have anything as an excuse. He is our worst manager since SAF who got a very lucky cup run last season. Since his methods have kicked in we have been woeful. But yeah, let’s give him another shot next season eh?
Some people genuinely support the current manager and as such their stance, over the club.
Like if it was the other way round and he started winning most games and playing great football I wouldn't cross my arms and say "no! he's shit I don't care what you all say I was right end of"
I'd happily change my stance as I support the club not my own opinion.

There were probably a-few tbf. Little did we know just how much worse our manager cults would become.
Indeed, you'd think with the passing years and successive failed managers the cult of manager would die out. But here we are circa 2024 and there's still people banging on about Fergie getting 6 years in the 80's and saying every new manager (uniquely at United) needs 4-6 years to get us anywhere.
It’s strange, indeed. I was it quite pro-EtH until sometime mid point this season, actually, wait - it was even long than that as I was fence sitting between in/out at that point (probably because I really wanted him to succeed here). Then a couple of months ago I finally had enough and changed my vote to EtH out.

Then the Liverpool Fa cup match happened and it (almost) made me contemplate, but deep down I knew it was just another false dawn. Then I sort of need to remind myself about the standards, goals & expectations I had for our previous managers. So yeah, I just can’t get behind the guy again or it would make me a massive hypocrite. I think I somehow understand how some could get so embroiled and invested into a manager even after the years of suffering (SAF words, legacy & the will to be proven right I guess), but yeah, I’m firmly in the EtH out camp.

Outside of the Caf, he’s not rated hugely. He’s been ever present in our big pastings these last 2 seasons. Good defender, no more.
Yep. None of City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton would want to swap their LCB for him.

He's a very good centreback but he's not anything special. Gives the team a lot in possession but limits us physically and on set pieces. If you have Pau, Van de Ven or Branthwaite you aren't electing to swap them for Martinez.

And inevitably we overrate him because last year everyone was desperate for ETH to do well. And he was the only signing Ten Hag made that everyone could easily point to and say - that was something he did well.

I never knew we had a squad with 80 players in it. No wonder the dressing rooms are filthy.

It’s strange, indeed. I was it quite pro-EtH until sometime mid point this season, actually, wait - it was even long than that as I was fence sitting between in/out at that point (probably because I really wanted him to succeed here). Then a couple of months ago I finally had enough and changed my vote to EtH out.

Then the Liverpool Fa cup match happened and it (almost) made me contemplate, but deep down I knew it was just another false dawn. Then I sort of need to remind myself about the standards, goals & expectations I had for our previous managers. So yeah, I just can’t get behind the guy again or it would make me a massive hypocrite. I think I somehow understand how some could get so embroiled and invested into a manager even after the years of suffering (SAF words, legacy & the will to be proven right I guess), but yeah, I’m firmly in the EtH out camp.

And in some cases there'll definitely be an element of wanting to be that guy who 10-15 years, 6-8 titles and a European Cup down the line, can say I had faith in Moyes/LVG/Jose/Ole/Ten Hag and backed him from the start.

For all of us who only ever knew SAF as manager, Fergie was the club. So it's understandable some may have had a hard time letting that way of thinking go.

Indeed, you'd think with the passing years and successive failed managers the cult of manager would die out. But here we are circa 2024 and there's still people banging on about Fergie getting 6 years in the 80's and saying every new manager (uniquely at United) needs 4-6 years to get us anywhere.
Fergie had similar issues when he joined, and had to have a clear out, there was no scouting system, no academy to speak of, the drinking culture, and the poor training, Clayton Blackmore was known as "Sunbed" because he spent more time on Ron Atkinsons sunbed than he did training.
He had to to change all that, I don't believe the myth that Mark Robbins saved his career, I'm more inclined to believe that it was Bobby Charlton and a few other directors being adamant he was the man for the job because they could see the changes he was making.
There is no doubt in my mind ETH is dealing with a culture problem, he's having to cope with players who were bought by different managers
We need a clear out, and we need to see what he can do with a full fit first XI before we show him the door, to my knowledge he hasn't had that in the time he's been here.
By clear out I also mean the injury prone and sulking wage thieves.

Is 60 injuries a trophy-worthy celebration now like top 4? Maybe we can have a bus top parade once the season is over on this achievement ? It’s becoming cited more often than the other glaring statistics which are terrible indictments of the season.

Gary more certain he would rather keep Eric for another season

Fergie had similar issues when he joined, and had to have a clear out, there was no scouting system, no academy to speak of, the drinking culture, and the poor training, Clayton Blackmore was known as "Sunbed" because he spent more time on Ron Atkinsons sunbed than he did training.
He had to to change all that, I don't believe the myth that Mark Robbins saved his career, I'm more inclined to believe that it was Bobby Charlton and a few other directors being adamant he was the man for the job because they could see the changes he was making.
There is no doubt in my mind ETH is dealing with a culture problem, he's having to cope with players who were bought by different managers
We need a clear out, and we need to see what he can do with a full fit first XI before we show him the door, to my knowledge he hasn't had that in the time he's been here.
By clear out I also mean the injury prone and sulking wage thieves.

ETH isn’t Ferguson though, not even close. He’s also never going to have the same responsibility, power or control that Ferguson did and he won’t be the one changing the culture. He won’t be the one deciding whether there is a clear out or not and what players we sign.

Context…

Klopp has 19 wins, Ten Hag 10.
Arteta 15 wins.

Crap like this doesn’t deserve to be posted in this thread.
But how many did they have after the same amount of time ETH has been at this club?

That’s funny.

It just shows the ridiculous lengths the Ten Hag cult will go to. I’m pretty sure there isn’t a single number from this season that shows he’s doing a good job. If this is your best shot, it kinda proves that Ten Hag has been pathetic.

Hes on the managerial shortlist in accordance to a tier one or two German source
That would be a dream. Seriously. We won’t have to pay for gardening leave, he gets to go to Bayern and we get to watch him implode there. Can’t wait!

Hes on the managerial shortlist in accordance to a tier one or two German source
Didn't know that, fair enough

After being rejected by the likes of Rangnick I guess it makes sense they are going to the bottom of the barrel

I mean, there are three possibilities:
1. He has his system, but not the players to deliver it, as you say.

2. He doesn’t have a system or his system is crap / inherently flawed.

3. He has his system, but has a hard time communicating it and installing it.

To be fair 1 and 3 are the same thing and lead to 2 as an outcome. So it's hard to use this as a metric of his coaching skills.

We now know how you have reached 39k posts :lol:

Your well thought out, intensely researched posts definitely add a depth to the Caf previously absent. Thank you.
Thanks mate, I appreciate you taking time out of your day to say this.

Cant wait for him to get sacked and tag the ETH frauds in here 100 times a day :drool: The day is coming soon.

Hope they follow him into oblivion

To be fair 1 and 3 are the same thing and lead to 2 as an outcome. So it's hard to use this as a metric of his coaching skills.
I dunno, call me crazy, but I think a good coach had to be a good communicator. If he can’t get his team to execute his ideas, even if they are brilliant, he’s still a bad coach.

1 is decidedly different as it assumes the players, many of whom are full internationals, World Cup and CL winners are incapable of executing his tactics because they don’t have the right attributes.

3 is they have the attributes but don’t understand him.

Gary more certain he would rather keep Eric for another season

Continuing his form with being wrong about every managerial decision related to United ever since he became a pundit.

The toxicity in this thread is getting ridiculous, and the bar was already at rock bottom. If you guys are going so far as to have a desire to goad and provoke one another, perhaps it's time to take a step back and consider what you're doing?

This season needs to end, sharpish; most of these exchanges are a chore to wheel scroll past. I don't know how there's time and energy to say the same things every day like updated NPC's.

What I do notice is that by the week, the thread is carrying darker overtones - you all realise you're here to support the same club, right?

The toxicity in this thread is getting ridiculous, and the bar was already at rock bottom. If you guys are going so far as to have a desire to goad and provoke one another, perhaps it's time to take a step back and consider what you're doing?

This season needs to end, sharpish; most of these exchanges are a chore to wheel scroll past. I don't know how there's time and energy to say the same things every day like updated NPC's.

What I do notice is that by the week, the thread is carrying darker overtones - you all realise you're here to support the same club, right?
To be fair, most of us are poking at each other in good nature. We can have different opinions, it’s okay.

I’m sure if we met in person and had a few pints we’d be laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.