Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mount? The same Mount who is average when he is not injured, but is injured all the time? Martinez who spent half of his time injured and is a bottom 10 percentile CB in aerial duels, who is weak and slow? Onana who makes mistakes every other day? Nothing to suggest yet that Hojlund will ever be a top striker. To his credit, Garnacho and Mainoo look like can be pretty good players and the only thing to be excited we have.

In any case, I think this squad is worse than what he had when he came here. Which is a crime considering how much money he spent.

It isn't, not unless you are including the players who left on a free (which were players who were not even contributing anyway)

Ahh so it's alright to be a complete WUM when you guys agree with it, gotcha :wenger:

Fact most people cant even tell he's wumming shows the state of some viewpoints being endlessly regurgitated in this thread.

No offense, but like most Ten Hag supporters, you sound confused. He didn't stick to his style, he gave up trying to play the Ajax way a long time ago. This transitional football is basically Oleball but with a single pivot instead of double, and he's playing this way because it suits our squad. So it's laughable that you somehow think he's still "sticking to his philosphies" when everyone else in the world can see he's being a stubborn inflexible cnut.

Also, hardly brave to take on one of the highest paid coaching jobs in the world at 10 million a year. You sound like one of those who were genuinely worried he might walk away if we don't fix our structure or something.

Not looking to defend EtH here, but aren’t you contradicting yourself by saying he didn’t stick to his philosophy, but that he’s also being "an inflexible cnut"?

You lost me at the thought that we played well by beating Newcastle in the league cup final. We were poor in that game, it's just Newcastle were even worse.
Agree to disagree. Think it was professional and good way to play a final. Though Newcastle weren't good in that game.

Ye I’d rather set the targets low so anything higher is an overachievement. That’s why his expectations this year are so high because he overachieved last year and finished 3rd with a trophy. The new structure that’s being put in place will make sure they sign the players for the style we want to play so if we can’t get FDJ they’ll find someone who’s similar instead of signing a Casemiro who plays completely different… that’s what confused me, he said he wanted FDJ to play the Ajax way but then he signs Casemiro as his replacement. The new structure will sort that out

Pretty sure I read in his interview he said the plan was to get both.

Not looking to defend EtH here, but aren’t you contradicting yourself by saying he didn’t stick to his philosophy, but that he’s also being "an inflexible cnut"?
Not unless he was known for transitional football during his early Utrecht days. There is no philosophy here at all, just chaotic football week in week out.

If we have another season of injuries like this and it’s not as unlikely with his chaotic style of play, what excuses will he or his fans have? A lot of people are dismissing injuries as pure bad luck and have no correlation to his absolutely disastrous style of play which puts our defense under constant pressure. Does he need another 5 seasons and 500 million to sign more mediocrity to improve the players fitness so that we can compete for titles?

Pretty sure I read in his interview he said the plan was to get both.
It's also the first time he admitted to wanting both, in a carefully prepared and probably his last meaningful interview in the UK. Almost feels like he was directly addressing the criticism about signing a completely different type of player to the one he originally wanted. Though he did end up getting Mount, who he planned to play next to Casemiro.

I think you're a pseudo intellectual who uses jargon and buzz words to make the same arguments over and over again. Even when people disprove your points or offer legitimate answers to your questions. Defending the amount of shots on goal is crazy stuff, for example. Time is a flat circle.

You'll get what you want, unfortunately. The worst season in modern history won't face repercussions. That's the depressing reality.

Nothing more to add.
What jargon and buzz words have I ever used?

Which points have I made that have been disproven?

When have I defended shots on goal beyond saying “I understand why it’s happened and while I don’t like it I can tolerate it in context”.

Thank you for your honesty. I’d rather know the true nature and opinions of a poster. At least you are honest.

Burnley drew at old Trafford, yet Newcastle are 3-0 up at half time at Burnley. Let’s keep blaming injuries…

Tbh, Ten hag should just leave all together as he can spend more money if Utd were out of Europe all together than end up in the conference league (as we are out of Europe as FFP rules).

It is not about wanting ETH in or out. It is about supporting MU. Do we agree on that?
Yeah I don’t care about Erik Ten Hag I care about what I think is best for United.

I do find it tiresome that both sides try and make this all about one man when we often just disagree over the main causes of our issues and relative accountability of those involved.

If we have another season of injuries like this and it’s not as unlikely with his chaotic style of play, what excuses will he or his fans have?

Exactly the same excuses they make now. Because end of the day, it's not about what's best for Manchester United.

"Give him to the end of the season, let him get x, y and z injured players back, only then can we judge him"
"Make a decision on his future in the summer, he needs the new crop of signings to settle in, and £x00m of new signings in January"
"The new structure hasnt had time to bed in yet, unfair to judge ETH until then"
"Ashworth was on gardening leave until x, impossible to know if it's ETH's fault until he's in place"
"Player x had a scandal, how can you expect a £9m-a-year football manager to coach football players when these things are going on?"

Last edited:
Go on. He'd be nowhere near a PL best XI (or even 2nd or 3rd) but we should be 'building around' him?

Opinions are like farts
And yes we should because he is the only CB we have that can actually call himself a ball playing CB and he is by some margin the best CB at the club, or have you not noticed our sides defending and ability to progress the ball since his injury last season? We should look to add an even better CB next to him

If only it was that easy. This squad we have isn’t good enough to challenge Arsenal and City, so a new manager will only take us so far, probably top 4 which any manager is capable of depending on other teams in that season. We need some new players to be able to compete with the top 2
We will never know because we never had top tier manager.
And we will se now how Liverpool will crumble without world class manager.

I always find it odd when people try to make the argument to keep him based of the resulting patience that arsenal showed in arteta but it's poor example because the arsenal job was arteta first managerial role and was always going to be learning on the job but arsenal allowed for this due to the potential of arteta long term, where as ten hag is no spring chicken and what you see with him is as good as it gets.

Yep I genuinely believe some are more concerned about Ten Hags future prospects than United's.

It's been this way with pretty much every post-Fergie appointment, barring Moyes, who we pretty much unanimously agreed was a terrible appointment by every metric imaginable.

More hyperbole, the squad does not need a bigger rebuild than it needed when ETH was hired, in fact we now needs less pieces.
We had multiple first team players leave on a free as well as multiple players that required moving on/shifting. Now we have players like Martinez, Onana, Mount, Hoijlund, Garnacho, Mainoo to build around and after this summer a massively reduced wages billl after clearing out the likes of Ronaldo, Martial, Sancho, Varane and hopefully others (Maguire). Yes the likes of Antony and Casemiro were not good signings but you are not going to get all the signings right.

I will also add that the signings are not all down to the manager and there have been enough things written about the recruitment at this club.

Like I said before its ok to dislike ETH, but there is no need to spout rubbish about the squad being in a worse place than before he started, that is absolute rubbish

I wish I was as optimistic about some of Ten Hags signings. I like Onana and I like Martinez but he along with Mount have serious questions marks over them about injury proneness.

Hojlund I'm willing to be patient with as Ten Hag has setup this team up where he can go entire games without barely receving a pass. Garnacho and Mainoo I'm very optimistic about.

But after the club spending around £450m in 18 months I feel we should have more new faces in place to build upon.

Opinions are like farts
And yes we should because he is the only CB we have that can actually call himself a ball playing CB and he is by some margin the best CB at the club, or have you not noticed our sides defending and ability to progress the ball since his injury last season?
So do you think Martinez is in the top 3 best LCB in the league, yes or no?

We've been no better with him this season.

It's been this way with pretty much every post-Fergie appointment, barring Moyes, who we pretty much unanimously agreed was a terrible appointment by every metric imaginable.

Yeah, though if I remember there were still a few holdouts preaching more time for Moyes right up until the end. Similar now.

Yeah, though if I remember there were still a few holdouts preaching more time for Moyes right up until the end. Similar now.

There were probably a-few tbf. Little did we know just how much worse our manager cults would become.

It’s true any other manager who did the same things under the same conditions I’d have the same response to.

You’ll laugh but it’s genuinely not about Ten Hag so much as it is about the managerial position, the system we’re developing and how much change is required to be a title contender again.

I just don’t happen to think the current place holding manager is the issue. I think it’s more than that.

I always find it odd when people try to make the argument to keep him based of the resulting patience that arsenal showed in arteta but it's poor example because the arsenal job was arteta first managerial role and was always going to be learning on the job but arsenal allowed for this due to the potential of arteta long term, where as ten hag is no spring chicken and what you see with him is as good as it gets.
I don't think they let him go on for so long because it was his first managerial role, I very much doubt that. The board believed in the project and resisted calls for him to be sacked from Arsenal fans for quite a while because they were committed to the rebuild and a reshape of the squad. It looks as if it's paying off very well now.

I will say though, in the case for dismissal, Newcastle are having a disappointing season but they're still capable of putting teams to the sword and have a much healthier goal difference. If we were on the same points as now but had shown signs throughout the season of some excellent attacking displays it would make the case for keeping him a fair bit stronger.

This season can still be worse than 21/22 which was statistically our worst season in last 35 years. 2 seasons ago we finished on 58 points, 0 goal difference, no trophies and last 16 of CL. Now we're on 54 points with 4 games to go, +1 GD, finished bottom of our CL group and in Fa Cup final. Similar seasons in terms of shiteness.

How are Newcastle beating Burnley 4-0 with 3 of their back 4 missing?

Well isn't it obvious? They have a world class "structure" above Eddie Howe. A best in class sporting director who magically makes up for all the inadequacies of the coaching and - oh wait he's on gardening leave.

This is where I disagree. It's wishful thinking that you could do this in a league as competitive as ours. It's like all the people on the caf who earnestly explained how Ronaldo would be fine leading a high press. Of course he wasn't and never could be in the EPL at his age. Just saying it can be made to work doesn't make it true.

Of course you are not wrong. ETH is playing a system that does not suite half his players at all. We knew this from the beginning and we must now suck it up. The choice is change the system or change the players. My view is that he has roughly the right system and the wrong players and we should fix that. He may well get sacked along the way (in fact I'm sure he will) but we have to stick with an aspiration to high press, fast transition fluid football or something not unlike it. Going back to Oleball or LVG borefests or Jose shit on a stick is completely unacceptable to me.
A couple of things here… not sure if you actually watched the match, but Dortmund was playing PSG, who, if they were in the PL, would certainly be in the mix for winning the league. So if it was working against a Luis Enrique PSG side, it would work against the likes of Wolverhampton and West Ham…

People saying that Ronaldo could execute a high press has nothing to do with Terzic taking a strange group of castoffs and giving them an identity are two different things. The former was proven wrong whereas the latter was proven right because we can see it with our own eyes.

‘The question is this: why is Ten Hag persisting with a system that doesn’t work? Whether it is with these players it doesn’t work or just doesn’t work in general in the PL and CL, or he can’t communicate it or install it properly, it really doesn’t matter. I find it hard to believe that Ten Hag would ignore all the obvious signs of concern and dogmatically plow forward, knowing he won’t make the CL and take a 2.3m pay cut, just to idealistically implement his system. The far more ominous reality is that he is not good enough tactically to challenge for a league title in the PL. And if that’s the case, we are wasting our time.

The last few months have seen the minds break of quite a few posters here. I think the issue is that expectations aren‘t realistic in light of all the shiit we have to deal with.

In our first season our expected league finish was around 6th. Almost no one predicted us finishing in top four.

Second season expectation was a bit higher, fourth place. It went out the window after it became clear our new signings needed time and we were hit with too many injuries.

Ten Hag was brave and stupid to come here when we were in disarray. He‘s implemented strict discipline and a playing style throughout the club and had a decent first season.

He has stuck to this style although the squad with all the injuries can‘t do it consistently. It is probably the right decision for the club long term, but it might cost him his job.

So bite me if I‘m staying a bit optimistic. Endless moaning just doesn‘t do any good. A lot of you are just as bad as the media: no nuance and agenda driven negativity.

If we get Southgate it is what you deserve.

Is the bolded this weeks new ten Hag excuse? I mean seriously, did you think at all before you wrote that? I didn't realise every other team in the UK and Europe always buy players that are 100% ready from the very first second. Why can't we buy those players instead of the shite ones we get that take 6 months minimum to settle? Oh that's right, I've figured it out. The ones we buy are all the shite from the Eridivisie.
Have a word with yourself, your wum is showing again!

And you deserve ETH
Just because we want ETH out is equivalent to deserving Southgate.
Are you a united fan or ETHs' ?

The remaining eth fans cannot possibly be utd fans that want what's best for the club or they'd want to get rid of this clown. They want to keep eth as much as every other oppo fans do but they want him to stay because they know he's shite.

I think you're a pseudo intellectual who uses jargon and buzz words to make the same arguments over and over again. Even when people disprove your points or offer legitimate answers to your questions. Defending the amount of shots on goal is crazy stuff, for example. Time is a flat circle.

You'll get what you want, unfortunately. The worst season in modern history won't face repercussions. That's the depressing reality.

Nothing more to add.

He's definitely someone that would sooner waffle on repeating the same 20000 words it takes a normal poster to say in one sentence.

I have no problem with people wanting Ten Hag out, I was at that point myself a while ago.

Blanket blaming the manager for basically everything without acknowledging the massive challenges is unsupportive.

If it turns out we get Southgate and the football style institutionalized at the club is boring and conservative, it‘s what you deserve.

You eth defenders keep saying this crap over and over again yet nobody is saying that at all. Give it a fecking rest please!

And if we do get Southgate I'm 100% sure he would have us playing better all over the pitch, facing less shots, winning more games and losing a lot less than your eth ever will. Same goes for the fecking tea lady!

Status
Not open for further replies.