Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I was as optimistic about some of Ten Hags signings. I like Onana and I like Martinez but he along with Mount have serious questions marks over them about injury proneness.

Hojlund I'm willing to be patient with as Ten Hag has setup this team up where he can go entire games without barely receving a pass. Garnacho and Mainoo I'm very optimistic about.

But after the club spending around £450m in 18 months I feel we should have more new faces in place to build upon.
I also agree we should have more but I also know the club is changing its recruitment team for a reason.

Does not change the fact saying the squad is in a worse place than when ETH started is completely false

If only we had Martinez fit, we’d be scoring goals for fun or we’re told as much.
Last summer we had someone constantly going on about how buying a ball playing goalkeeper, rather than a new striker, would mean we would score more goals (because "playing out of the back" or something), so you're not far off.

So do you think Martinez is in the top 3 best LCB in the league, yes or no?

We've been no better with him this season.

He was injured all this season that is clear.
And I think he would be in the conversation for top 6 CBs in the league given his whole career especially if you appreciate ball playing of which I would say he is in the top 2-3

Yeah ETH needs to get all the time he needs, if it takes 10 years for him to get us back in top 4 then be it. In the meantime all our executives, coaches and players should be working towards making life easier for him so that he can eventually succeed. We owe him this.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He was injured all this season that is clear.
And I think he would be in the conversation for top 6 CBs in the league given his whole career especially if you appreciate ball playing of which I would say he is in the top 2-3
So he's not then? My opinion is a fair one.

He's started 7 PL games. We conceded 13 goals in them.

Last summer we had someone constantly going on about how buying a ball playing goalkeeper, rather than a new striker, would mean we would score more goals (because "playing out of the back" or something), so you're not far off.
The thing is, we have that ball-playing goalie going route one half the time.

I’ve also said this before in this thread. If we’re arguing over .16 of a goal per game I’m not too worried about the strength of my argument here

It's not bad until you look at the GD along with the fixtures remaining. It won't stay that way. I don't think our attack is better, we have arguably sacrificed any midfield control in the hope we can out score the opposition. Don't overly disagree with that approach given how woeful we were in the opening half of the season. We've carried our CL strategy into the League. It's certainly no long term solution, nor is it effective.

The thing is, we have that ball-playing goalie going route one half the time.

Well he has the ball at his feet, and every outfield player stands still while they’re marked. He’s limited on choices here. Then the crowd gets on his back for holding on to the ball for too long, so partway through the game he’ll just start pumping it up to Hojlund instead.

There's a lot of discussion on mitigating circumstances and whether they are just excuses but not enough is made of just how bad we've really been this season. Our position is very flattering when taking into account "performances" we've been putting this whole season. Newcastle have scored 26 goals more than us. They've had injuries. Even Chelsea have scored 13 more. It's beyond ridiculous to blame it just on injuries and not to put huge question marks on coaching and the way we set up week in week out. Not good enough by any stretch of the imagination.

There's a lot of discussion on mitigating circumstances and whether they are just excuses but not enough is made of just how bad we've really been this season. Our position is very flattering when taking into account "performances" we've been putting this whole season. Newcastle have scored 26 goals more than us. They've had injuries. Even Chelsea have scored 13 more. It's beyond ridiculous to blame it just on injuries and not to put huge question marks on coaching and the way we set up week in week out. Not good enough by any stretch of the imagination.

There’s no point being rational mate. The lunatics on here won’t listen.

Not unless he was known for transitional football during his early Utrecht days. There is no philosophy here at all, just chaotic football week in week out.

I’m just saying that claiming he’s inflexible but simultanously has abandoned his philosophy is a contradiction in terms.

Osimhen would cost a boatload more than Hojlund. Vlahovic had fallen off last season. David hit career highs last year so maybe. En-Neysri, meh. Openda, maybe. Wakins would have cost too much. Toney, not an option last summer. Solanke would have been laughed if people brought him up as a serious option in the summer. Same for Cunha.
Watkins and Isak wouldn't have cost much more than the exorbitant fee we agreed for a raw and unproven player in Hojlund. What was so special about Hojlund other than the fact he's young and physically resembled Haaland? Not even avid serie A watchers on this forum hyped him up as one to watch. After Ten Hags agency signed him and pushed him as a target he instantly became subject to the same powerful hype machine that had many here thinking Amrabat would solely solve our midfield woes when most clearly never watched them regularly beforehand. We overlooked much better players right here in the same league

Even last season, despite the double pivot and low goals conceded, we were easy to play through. That was with an in form Casemiro, Martinez and Shaw.

His reasoning is at odds with what he does though. The other day he spoke about Casemiro and FdJ being what he wanted, so why has he abandoned that midfield dynamic?

I don't relate to any of this. We were defensively quite solid last season with Varane and Martinez playing together and Shaw deputising. Obviously Casemiro dropped off a cliff in the middle of last season and has not been the same since. And FdJ is great, but he hasn't been playing very well for us on account of living in Barcelona.

but Dortmund was playing PSG, who, if they were in the PL, would certainly be in the mix for winning the league. So if it was working against a Luis Enrique PSG side, it would work against the likes of Wolverhampton and West Ham…

‘The question is this: why is Ten Hag persisting with a system that doesn’t work? Whether it is with these players it doesn’t work or just doesn’t work in general in the PL and CL, or he can’t communicate it or install it properly, it really doesn’t matter.

It was one game, and I don't think PSG would win the EPL anyway. They have a history of blowing up in European semi finals.
But when you say it doesn't matter why his system doesn't work, it very much does matter. Because it's quite clear that he has a plan and he does not have the players to deliver it. The response to that is not to sack him, it is to get the players he needs. But that takes time and we keep fekking up on transfers and injuries. For all we know Mason Mount would have been player of the year if he had stayed fit (but I doubt it).

At the end of the day ETH will get sacked. And he has made mistakes that very much are on him. I don't necessarily think he deserves to keep his job. But I also think if he does he will come good again. The main problem is the Glazer legacy. In a better run club I think he would have us comfortably in the top four on the same budget.

Yeah, I just watched his interview with Neville and it gave me a bit of a different perspective on things. I think we have improved going forward quite a bit but obviously, the amount of changes at the back are affecting the goals/shots conceded dramatically.
How do you watch our games and see this? Top sides look as though they can score every time they go forward, we are clueless in the final 3rd most of the time unless its a counter.

Slightly off-topic, is this the longest thread we've had for a manager on the caf post-Fergie?

I don't relate to any of this. We were defensively quite solid last season with Varane and Martinez playing together and Shaw deputising. Obviously Casemiro dropped off a cliff in the middle of last season and has not been the same since. And FdJ is great, but he hasn't been playing very well for us on account of living in Barcelona.

We were, but rode our luck quite a lot and, in the end didn't give up many goals as a result. It obviously came undone a few times though. But I recall in the summer, when we were linked with Mount and Simon Stone tweeted saying ETH intends on pushing Mount further up next to Bruno and leaving Casemiro sitting, that myself and others were saying how we already looked susceptible on the counter and how this move would expose our weakness more. Look what happened.

There were probably a-few tbf. Little did we know just how much worse our manager cults would become.

Indeed, you'd think with the passing years and successive failed managers the cult of manager would die out. But here we are circa 2024 and there's still people banging on about Fergie getting 6 years in the 80's and saying every new manager (uniquely at United) needs 4-6 years to get us anywhere.

The last few months have seen the minds break of quite a few posters here. I think the issue is that expectations aren‘t realistic in light of all the shiit we have to deal with.

In our first season our expected league finish was around 6th. Almost no one predicted us finishing in top four.

Second season expectation was a bit higher, fourth place. It went out the window after it became clear our new signings needed time and we were hit with too many injuries.

Ten Hag was brave and stupid to come here when we were in disarray. He‘s implemented strict discipline and a playing style throughout the club and had a decent first season.

He has stuck to this style although the squad with all the injuries can‘t do it consistently. It is probably the right decision for the club long term, but it might cost him his job.

So bite me if I‘m staying a bit optimistic. Endless moaning just doesn‘t do any good. A lot of you are just as bad as the media: no nuance and agenda driven negativity.

If we get Southgate it is what you deserve.

Says who?

It's not bad until you look at the GD along with the fixtures remaining. It won't stay that way. I don't think our attack is better, we have arguably sacrificed any midfield control in the hope we can out score the opposition. Don't overly disagree with that approach given how woeful we were in the opening half of the season. We've carried our CL strategy into the League. It's certainly no long term solution, nor is it effective.
We’ll have to see how we do in the last few.

It’s not the long term solution and it’s not the same effective solution as better sides, but we’re not in a position to play our best yet.

I also agree we should have more but I also know the club is changing its recruitment team for a reason.

Does not change the fact saying the squad is in a worse place than when ETH started is completely false

Fair point, we shouldn't have given a relatively unproven manager the keys to the kingdom and let him direct our transfer business.

I can see why you say our squad isn't in a worse place vs 2 years ago. But I'm not sure if it is in a better place either. Now like 2 years ago it still needs a lot of investment, LB, CB (maybe 2), DM RW, ST at least needed this summer.

ETH intends on pushing Mount further up next to Bruno and leaving Casemiro sitting, that myself and others were saying how we already looked susceptible on the counter and how this move would expose our weakness more. Look what happened.

If everyone agrees on one thing it is that there is way too much space in midfield and that is created by the lack of a quality holding midfielder, and then made worse by the lack of a central defender willing to push up. The question is do we sit deep and counter attack or do we stick with the system and try and bring in new players from the youth system or via transfers. If we do the former then we have to sack ETH because clearly it will be over his dead body.

Watkins and Isak wouldn't have cost much more than the exorbitant fee we agreed for a raw and unproven player in Hojlund. What was so special about Hojlund other than the fact he's young and physically resembled Haaland? Not even avid serie A watchers on this forum hyped him up as one to watch. After Ten Hags agency signed him and pushed him as a target he instantly became subject to the same powerful hype machine that had many here thinking Amrabat would solely solve our midfield woes when most clearly never watched them regularly beforehand. We overlooked much better players right here in the same league
Isak and Watkins would have cost a little bit more yeah but Isak's stats weren't that amazing. Also, Watkins is in his prime and they went for the longer-term value instead in a player they fell can be better than Watkins. Not gonna knock that choice to get a potential world-class player who's much younger instead of a very good older player who won't get past that level.

Also, as seen with the Muani and Ramos fees, they were all gonna cost as much as each other so it was just preference in the end.

The real mistakes have been Casemiro and Antony. If the others are flops then fine but we paid market value for them. Those other two though? Way overblown prices.

If everyone agrees on one thing it is that there is way too much space in midfield and that is created by the lack of a quality holding midfielder, and then made worse by the lack of a central defender willing to push up. The question is do we sit deep and counter attack or do we stick with the system and try and bring in new players from the youth system or via transfers. If we do the former then we have to sack ETH because clearly it will be over his dead body.

How do we know our CBs are unwilling to push up? Pretty sure somebody posted stats that showed Maguire and Lindelof pushed up higher under Ole than our defence is under ETH.

How do we know our CBs are unwilling to push up? Pretty sure somebody posted stats that showed Maguire and Lindelof pushed up higher under Ole than our defence is under ETH.

Higher under Ole is a low bar. We know they sit deep because we have eyes. They sit deep because they're old and/or slow. Talking about Maguire, Veron, Evans, Lindelof.

It's been this way with pretty much every post-Fergie appointment, barring Moyes, who we pretty much unanimously agreed was a terrible appointment by every metric imaginable.
No it happened with Moyes too, trust me

Higher under Ole is a low bar. We know they sit deep because we have eyes. They sit deep because they're old and/or slow. Talking about Maguire, Veron, Evans, Lindelof.

Yeah but do you know they're not being asked to do this? There's examples of older or not particularly pacey CBs playing in a high line. Look at one of the teams in the CL Semis for a start, and our CBs look rapid in comparison.

But you’re telling me not to assume things and then assuming multiple things yourself. Obviously neither of us know for sure. But United seemed to give up fecking fast regardless. If they could have got Kane, they weren’t going to achieve it with that mentality.

And it’s not just Kane. Even at executive level United have consistently just gone for whoever is easiest to get. Do you think they thought Murtough was the best sports director they could get? Or did they just get him because he was already there and easy to put in place? See also for Arnold, Woodward and every other fecker they got
What we do know is that ETH couldn't manage his way out of a wet paper bag but still there are numbers on here willing to make every excuse under the sun... reality bites, ir has this season at least

Yeah but do you know they're not being asked to do this? There's examples of older or not particularly pacey CBs playing in a high line. Look at one of the teams in the CL Semis for a start, and our CBs look rapid in comparison.

I assume they can't do it in the EPL because they're too slow and turn like oil tankers so a ball past them and they are in a losing foot race. I have heard it said we have a much faster paced game than other leagues.

Sack watch.

For the 23-24 season, his record:

P47 W23 D7 L17 48.9%

Ole in 21-22 season:

P17 W7 D3 L7 41.17%

Jose in 18-19:

P24 W10 D6 L8 41.6%

What we do know is that ETH couldn't manage his way out of a wet paper bag but still there are numbers on here willing to make every excuse under the sun... reality bites, ir has this season at least
I’ve not made any excuses for him. I’ve admitted he’s underperforming massively the last 18 months. We could be 8th this time tomorrow. That’s pathetic considering the players he’s had available

But there also needs to be some context, those above haven’t helped him.

How are Newcastle beating Burnley 4-0 with 3 of their back 4 missing?
Ten Hag’s fan boys won’t have this as an excuse. They won’t have anything as an excuse. He is our worst manager since SAF who got a very lucky cup run last season. Since his methods have kicked in we have been woeful. But yeah, let’s give him another shot next season eh?

Outside of the Caf, he’s not rated hugely. He’s been ever present in our big pastings these last 2 seasons. Good defender, no more.
Yep. None of City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton would want to swap their LCB for him.

I assume they can't do it in the EPL because they're too slow and turn like oil tankers so a ball past them and they are in a losing foot race. I have heard it said we have a much faster paced game than other leagues.

Shouldn't assume. If the defence had been disobeying such a critical instruction all season then I think we'd know about it. Besides, I watched Dortmund with a high line against Mbappe just a few days ago. Matts Hummels is slow as treacle, but there's a level of coaching and organisation that can make it possible. They finished top of their CL group ahead of Milan, PSG and Newcastle, facing Mbappe, Kolo Muani, O. Dembele, Leao, Izak, Gordon, Almiron etc. So it's not inconceivable to be able to play a high line and high intensity press with slower players at CB.

So what's the truth of the matter? Has ETH decided to let them get away with it all season? If your manager is asking and asking you to push up, surely you push up and the consequences are on his shoulders. I don't believe they've just ignored it because they're scared or whatever. So if he's asked them to play this way, which is more likely, and he's out here telling us he's not wavering from his style just because of injuries, then what a tangled web he's weaving.

It was one game, and I don't think PSG would win the EPL anyway. They have a history of blowing up in European semi finals.
But when you say it doesn't matter why his system doesn't work, it very much does matter. Because it's quite clear that he has a plan and he does not have the players to deliver it. The response to that is not to sack him, it is to get the players he needs. But that takes time and we keep fekking up on transfers and injuries. For all we know Mason Mount would have been player of the year if he had stayed fit (but I doubt it).

At the end of the day ETH will get sacked. And he has made mistakes that very much are on him. I don't necessarily think he deserves to keep his job. But I also think if he does he will come good again. The main problem is the Glazer legacy. In a better run club I think he would have us comfortably in the top four on the same budget.

I mean, there are three possibilities:
1. He has his system, but not the players to deliver it, as you say.

2. He doesn’t have a system or his system is crap / inherently flawed.

3. He has his system, but has a hard time communicating it and installing it.

In scenarios #2 and #3, he has to get sacked. In scenario #1, if you believe it, the low end of the financial risk is another 300m (100m in lost revenue and another 200m in players).

now that we have a proper structure installed, this is a pretty big call by Berrada. You could get sacked if you make the wrong choice. As they build the talent pipeline like Brighton, the manager/ head coach will be easier to replace.

If Ten Hag leaves you better hope someone competent and exciting is hired. But you lot deserve Southgate.
Wtf is this? If you're a United fan, have a word. If you're not, well the forum rules don't allow me to tell you where you can place that liar's bald head.

Status
Not open for further replies.