Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was ETH’s condition when he joined the club and the reason why Rangnick left. He wanted authority over transfers.
No it wasn't. He wanted to have a say. There is a veto that the manager has and a veto that the DoF has.

Worth also noting that some of his targets such as Antony were well known quantities to our club and they were not vetoed. So putting all the blame on ten hag alone is a bit lazy.

The current manager doesn’t have sole say, this has been repeatedly established and isn’t a valid excuse for Ten Hag and Murtough creating a mess of a squad. SAF was a world class manager including having a big day on transfers and would 100% adapt to the modern game, it’s not that much different now to when he retired 10 years ago.
No, he doesn't. I agree. My point is that the current manager came in and wasn't challenged on any of his targets due to the inadquecies of the structure above him.

No it wasn't. He wanted to have a say. There is a veto that the manager has and a veto that the DoF has.

Worth also noting that some of his targets such as Antony were well known quantities to our club and they were not vetoed. So putting all the blame on ten hag alone is a bit lazy.
Antony is actually the most criminal one of all. He managed him for 2 years and somehow deemed him worth the money we spent. That alone is sackable offense and borders on fraud. I would like to think we are going to sue him for this when he’s gone.

Antony is actually the most criminal one of all. He managed him for 2 years and somehow deemed him worth the money we spent. That alone is sackable offense and borders on fraud. I would like to think we are going to sue him for this when he’s gone.
:lol:

No, he doesn't. I agree. My point is that the current manager came in and wasn't challenged on any of his targets due to the inadquecies of the structure above him.
We don’t know whether or not he was challenged, just that he identified poor players (some that he’d worked with worryingly) and we ended up signing some of them. A manager is always going to have to get some of their targets or there isn’t any point being in the job. If the board veto’d all his targets it would surely be better to get a manager better aligned with their ideas.

It was ETH’s condition when he joined the club and the reason why Rangnick left. He wanted authority over transfers.

We were dumb to allow this to happen but he should have also known his limitations. The whole concept of trying to recreate his Ajax team here was ludicrous to begin with and all sides, him included, should have realized that.

Is this remotely confirmed or just something you've made up, because this isn't the structure he worked in at Ajax or indeed what any manager would realistically expect at a well run club?

Rangnick was moved on because his time as interim was a disaster and he spent a good chunk of it publicly (although fairly) shitting on his employers.

He also wasn't supposed to have any real control. He was going to be Austria's manager and remain employed by United in some undefined consultancy capacity on the side.

Apparently Ten Hag expressed some dissatisfaction with Rangnick not doing a proper handover when he took over (which is reasonable) and so the club didn't take him on as a consultant.

We don’t know whether or not he was challenged, just that he identified poor players (some that he’d worked with worryingly) and we ended up signing some of them. A manager is always going to have to get some of their targets or there isn’t any point being in the job. If the board veto’d all his targets it would surely be better to get a manager better aligned with their ideas.
We actually know he wasn't challenged because if they were vetoed they wouldn't be bought. Melissa reddy also said the club already knew a lot about Antony when he was out on the table.

There certainly are targets that they'd both veto, and it was well briefed in the first summer that ten hag and Murtough were spending weeks before the window opened on agreeing on said targets.

So whilst wholly accepting ten hag takes responsibility for the mistake transfers, it's certainly not entirely on him.

The current manager doesn’t have sole say, this has been repeatedly established and isn’t a valid excuse for Ten Hag and Murtough creating a mess of a squad. SAF was a world class manager including having a big day on transfers and would 100% adapt to the modern game, it’s not that much different now to when he retired 10 years ago.

The game is massively different now to when Fergie retired.

Just before he went, we were actively avoiding playing the agent game that is now basically a given with any signing and contract renewal, all on his say so.

He also liked to have a degree of control over the social lives and media relationships his players had, which would have been near impossible to maintain with the rise of social media.

Modern players don't respond well to disciplinarian management and you can't get by with a midfield of Cleverley and Anderson calibre players just because the rest of the team is quality.

Fergie was god-like and may well have adapted, but the game has definitely moved on.

If we get the restructure that's being reported, I think he'll be given the option to stay but full control over transfers will be taken off him. If that happens and he concentrates on coaching,I think he'll be a success.

In some ways I can understand why he bought players he'd managed before,coming into Utd he clearly wanted players who he could trust,unfortunately they were good at a much lower level, the PL is brutal and he seriously underestimated it(could argue he still is).

Let the DOF or whoever after speaking to the manager clear out the useless trouble makers and let him get on with the job in hand.

Hes made some big mistakes and he does come across as stubborn but with some proper direction and backing i believe he will get it right.

We actually know he wasn't challenged because if they were vetoed they wouldn't be bought. Melissa reddy also said the club already knew a lot about Antony when he was out on the table.

There certainly are targets that they'd both veto, and it was well briefed in the first summer that ten hag and Murtough were spending weeks before the window opened on agreeing on said targets.

So whilst wholly accepting ten hag takes responsibility for the mistake transfers, it's certainly not entirely on him.
Yeah we know he wasn’t vetoed on the players we got they were obviously agreed, but he was likely challenged on players we didn’t end up signing. Nobody is saying that Ten Hag takes sole responsibility for the signings, but he takes a huge chunk of the blame. The answer to this isn’t sacking everyone around him and bringing in a team to make transfer decisions. It needs to be a joint decision from the board and the manager, and if the manager consistently chooses poor players or coach the players he has into a successful team they tend to get replaced.

Yeah we know he wasn’t vetoed on the players we got they were obviously agreed, but he was likely challenged on players we didn’t end up signing. Nobody is saying that Ten Hag takes sole responsibility for the signings, but he takes a huge chunk of the blame. The answer to this isn’t sacking everyone around him and bringing in a team to make transfer decisions. It needs to be a joint decision from the board and the manager, and if the manager consistently chooses poor players or coach the players he has into a successful team they tend to get replaced.
So looking at his transfers then, Eriksen, Licha, Malacia are all seen as good signings for the money we paid.

Mount and Antony have so far flopped, and Casemiro we are unsure who suggested (ten hag or Murtough). I'd argue onana the jury is still out because in spite of what he did in the CL he's doing well in the league. However given the gravity of his CL errors let's say he's not working out either.

Then there's Hojlund, who wasn't ten hags first choice (it was Kane). Hojlund was in a bag with Randal Kolo Muani (who isn't a traditional 9) and Ramos. Neither of those two are doing any better than Hojlund right now.

So objectively we can fairly agree 3 signings have been poor picks? And we can say those 3 were ten hag names? Antony mount onana.

I dont see that as him consistently picking wrong players though.

Also side note I know he doesn't get everything he wants. But worth flagging that he didn't get Kane, he didn't get Todibo, or Kim or the RB spot. He also didn't get the first choice emergency LB. For good or for bad he didn't get Arnautovic, or Gakpo. He also wanted a striker that was more experienced to suppliment hojlund and didn't get that. So it's not like he's had it completely his way either is all.

Last edited:
So looking at his transfers then, Eriksen, Licha, Malacia are all seen as good signings for the money we paid.

Mount and Antony have so far flopped, and Casemiro we are unsure who suggested (ten hag or Murtough). I'd argue onana the jury is still out because in spite of what he did in the CL he's doing wel in the league. However given the gravity of his CL errors let's say he's not working out either.

Then there's Hojlund, who wasn't ten hags first choice (it was Kane). Hojlund was in a bag with Randal Kolo Muani (who isn't a traditional 9) and Ramos. Neither of those two are doing any better than Hojlund right now.

So objectively we can fairly agree 3 signings have been poor picks? And we can say those 3 were ten hag names? Antony mount onana.

Fully agree.

Mount and Antony have so far flopped, and Casemiro we are unsure who suggested (ten hag or Murtough). I'd argue onana the jury is still out because in spite of what he did in the CL he's doing well in the league. However given the gravity of his CL errors let's say he's not working out either.

I don’t think Malacia is generally seen as a good signing from people I speak to/what I’ve seen on here. Martinez yeah has been successful, Casemiro was last season but is in hindsight seen as a short term fix to a long term issue. Hojlund was a joint choice between Ten Hag and Murtough, as was Weghorst on loan. They’ve signed two strikers that don’t have a goal in the league between them which is so poor it’s got to be some kind of record. Onana isn’t working out so far, I think most would replace him. This summer I don’t think we’ve made a single successful transfer, which given what we spent is shocking, and warrants a change in management. Ten Hag and Murtough have taken us backward between them, both in transfers and tactically we have been poor, they don’t have infinite credit from one decent season and it’s difficult to say there is a clear plan on how to progress.

You know, looking at your post it's funny how caught up in the noise about his signings you can get!.

I recently posted if he has full control over transfers it should be taken off him, still a say obviously but not the final word.

Thanks for your sensible post in all the toxicity in this thread.

I don’t think Malacia is generally seen as a good signing from people I speak to/what I’ve seen on here. Martinez yeah has been successful, Casemiro was last season but is in hindsight seen as a short term fix to a long term issue. Hojlund was a joint choice between Ten Hag and Murtough, as was Weghorst on loan. They’ve signed two strikers that don’t have a goal in the league between them which is so poor it’s got to be some kind of record. Onana isn’t working out so far, I think most would replace him. This summer I don’t think we’ve made a single successful transfer, which given what we spent is shocking, and warrants a change in management. Ten Hag and Murtough have taken us backward between them, both in transfers and tactically we have been poor, they don’t have infinite credit from one decent season and it’s difficult to say there is a clear plan on how to progress.
Malacia for what, 13m as a backup LB high potential I thought was good. It's just a shame he got injured.

Weghorst was dumpster diving because of careless spending in seasons prior to ten hags arrival and a failure on sponsorship renewals leading to desparete FFP situations. It's also why Amrabat had to be a loan. I am very sure if he had more money available he'd not have Amrabat as a top choice midfielder target. It's clear he was working in his means.

Im in whole agreement that Mount pursuit was poor (and I advocated him highly, just didn't know he was still a crock). I also agree on Antony. But that's two signings. Ddg had to be replaced, and Onana has made howlers but so has Raya and Sanchez for example. And Onana was superb as a GK last year so it's not like Ten Hag was in a minority view that Onana would be decent for us.

Point being though, he's made some bad moves yes. But they aren't wholly on him. And he's also made some astute moves that do deserve credit. It shouldn't be a shock that a manager making a big step up in a foreign league will make expensive mistakes. It's part of the learning curve for them. But we wanted progressive younger managers that have big potential and strong pedigree. We should accept the good with the bad that they bring.

Arsenal have pepe mistakes and smaller mistakes across tavares and lokonga and kiwor and Luiz and wilian. Lord knows Chelsea made mistakes in the past windows too. Liverpool got it right and kudos to them. But we aren't Liverpool in structure and we aren't city. We might be under Ratcliff but ten hag didn't have the right support to challenge him with better alternatives, and that's something that's missed by a lot of posters who just lazily say "he wasted 400m tho". Ten hag is working with decision makers who said no to Alvarez, Enzo and Caceido when they were in south America. Along with a host of other high profile errors.

Remember Liverpool challenged klopp and put salah on the table, made him convinced it was the right move. And tixi is absolutely vital to pep. We don't have that.

You know, looking at your post it's funny how caught up in the noise about his signings you can get!.

I recently posted if he has full control over transfers it should be taken off him, still a say obviously but not the final word.

Thanks for your sensible post in all the toxicity in this thread.

Yeah thanks its just interesting when you consider the summer sagas and what went wrong, who alternatives were etc.

Last edited:
How is Malacia a good signing? Cheap one, but he is not a very good footballer, to be frank. Just average

It’s up to ten Hag now to address the clear issues within the squad. Whatever our issue with striker depth, never let martial step into the team again. He’s an absolute fecking disgrace of a player. Drop Rashford and McT as well. Give more minutes to Garnacho, Mainoo and Hannibal and integrate Amad into the squad.

I’m tired of the overpaid wasters. I’d rather take further short-term pain with developing young players than the garbage some of these bottlers offer up each week. Sacking the manager is by and far the worst thing we can do at this stage, as it further solidifies the player power at the club. We saw what happened when we sacked Jose when he demanded standards. The players always unmask and show who they really are.
Agree with this tbh. Hannibal deserves a go. Mctominay as an impact sub only.

How is Malacia a good signing? Cheap one, but he is not a very good footballer, to be frank. Just average
For the money paid you'd struggle to find a LB that's much better and happy to be second choice. Put it this way, he's not a hit but he's not a flop. I think he's fine for squad depth.

Malacia for what, 13m as a backup LB high potential I thought was good. It's just a shame he got injured.

Weghorst was dumpster diving because of careless spending in seasons prior to ten hags arrival and a failure on sponsorship renewals leading to desparete FFP situations. It's also why Amrabat had to be a loan. I am very sure if he had more money available he'd not have Amrabat as a top choice midfielder target. It's clear he was working in his means.

Im in whole agreement that Mount pursuit was poor (and I advocated him highly, just didn't know he was still a crock). I also agree on Antony. But that's two signings. Ddg had to be replaced, and Onana has made howlers but so has Raya and Sanchez for example. And Onana was superb as a GK last year so it's not like Ten Hag was in a minority view that Onana would be decent for us.

Point being though, he's made some bad moves yes. But they aren't wholly on him. And he's also made some astute moves that do deserve credit. It shouldn't be a shock that a manager making a big step up in a foreign league will make expensive mistakes. It's part of the learning curve for them. But we wanted progressive younger managers that have big potential and strong pedigree. We should accept the good with the bad that they bring.

Arsenal have pepe mistakes and smaller mistakes across tavares and lokonga and kiwor and Luiz and wilian. Lord knows Chelsea made mistakes in the past windows too. Liverpool got it right and kudos to them. But we aren't Liverpool in structure and we aren't city. We might be under Ratcliff but ten hag didn't have the right support and that's something that's missed by a lot of posters who just lazily say "he wasted 400m tho".

Yeah thanks its just interesting when you consider the summer sagas and what went wrong, who alternatives were etc.
It isn’t lazy to say he wasted hundreds of millions, that’s what they’ve done this summer. Last season I would say Casemiro, Martinez and Eriksen were good. Malacia is neither here nor there he isn’t missed now that he’s been injured, and Antony was diabolical and concerning given he’d worked with him previously. This summer all our major signings have struggled, we have a striker that can’t score in the league, an expensive midfielder with prolonged fitness issues, a goalkeeper with a long list of errors already. It was calamitous and it doesn’t matter how many times we say they weren’t ‘all on him’ he takes a huge portion of the blame. It’s pointless saying well he wanted Kane and Rice when they were never going to sign for him and are top class players that everyone would want. Ole wanted Bellingham and Haland but I wouldn’t want him back or deciding who we sign as an example.

It isn’t lazy to say he wasted hundreds of millions, that’s what they’ve done this summer. Last season I would say Casemiro, Martinez and Eriksen were good. Malacia is neither here nor there he isn’t missed now that he’s been injured, and Antony was diabolical and concerning given he’d worked with him previously. This summer all our major signings have struggled, we have a striker that can’t score in the league, an expensive midfielder with prolonged fitness issues, a goalkeeper with a long list of errors already. It was calamitous and it doesn’t matter how many times we say they weren’t ‘all on him’ he takes a huge portion of the blame. It’s pointless saying well he wanted Kane and Rice when they were never going to sign for him and are top class players that everyone would want. Ole wanted Bellingham and Haland but I wouldn’t want him back or deciding who we sign as an example.
Its lazy to say TEN HAG wasted hundreds of millions. In reality it's a joint decision making process and the scouts at our club failed to put proper alternatives on the table, or even challenge him on the signings that were flops.

If we agree Antony, Mount and Onana are flops that's a lot of money. I agree. But its 3 players (at least one of which can still turn a corner if we are being realistic) and the club didn't give an alternative. Mount I can imagine was a big yes from both sides. Heck it was well briefed he was really high up Liverpools list too. James Ducker said it was a big blow to Klopp's plans when he chose us. Before that Arteta was reportedly keen on him and had to settle for Havertz.

Yes but you have to assume he spends the funds well, and he has the right support and that the modern players hooked on social media and player power will warm to his cold discipline.

Back in his time he could ban twitter across the whole club and get away with it. Not so much now.
Erm, no he couldn't? If Fergie was capable of banning Twitter across the club, do you not think he would've done it after Rooney was offering someone out for a fight?

Erm, no he couldn't? If Fergie was capable of banning Twitter across the club, do you not think he would've done it after Rooney was offering someone out for a fight?
Might have been misremembering. He certainly banned the use at the club or something similar. And he'd go deep into personal advice too telling players to get married or have a kid etc.

You are saying that others were at fault for not stopping him from making a mistake, like wanting Antony here.

Okay, but what you are saying also means that ETH's transfer decisions were not good. He is not good at judging player ability, even when they are his former players, and that's why he wanted Antony.

And he is not very good at making game plans. He is often outmanaged by other managers.

And he is not very good at adjusting during the game. He admitted it himself, that being 2 goals up and not winning is on the manager.

And he is not very good in man management. Not many of our players have improved under him. And he had fights with at least four players.

Then ... what is he good at?

Its lazy to say TEN HAG wasted hundreds of millions. In reality it's a joint decision making process and the scouts at our club failed to put proper alternatives on the table, or even challenge him on the signings that were flops.

If we agree Antony, Mount and Onana are flops that's a lot of money. I agree. But its 3 players (at least one of which can still turn a corner if we are being realistic) and the club didn't give an alternative. Mount I can imagine was a big yes from both sides. Heck it was well briefed he was really high up Liverpools list too. James Ducker said it was a big blow to Klopp's plans when he chose us. Before that Arteta was reportedly keen on him and had to settle for Havertz.
Are we just ignoring the striker we spent 60 odd million on who l hasn’t scored a league goal then yeah. If you just look at our ‘big’ transfers it’s basically: Mount, Antony, Casemiro, Martinez, Onana, Hojlund. It’s basically two successes out of six at the moment. I don’t know how you know the club gave no alternatives either though, that’s just fan fiction at this point. I don’t think you’ll ever agree with me that this transfer window was a stinker so we might as well agree to disagree.

You are saying that others were at fault for not stopping him from making a mistake, like wanting Antony here.

Okay, but what you are saying also means that ETH's transfer decisions were not good. He is not good at judging player ability, even when they are his former players, and that's why he wanted Antony.

And he is not very good at making game plans. He is often outmanaged by other managers.

And he is not very good at adjusting during the game. He admitted it himself, that being 2 goals up and not winning is on the manager.

And he is not very good in man management. Not many of our players have improved under him. And he had fights with at least four players.

Then ... what is he good at?
You're saying a lot of this. Not me. If he wasn't good at man management he wouldn't be able to bounce back from bad defeats or bad runs to go on a string of wins against the odds.

If he wasn't good at game plans he wouldn't finish 77 pts with 2 finals, one cup and 3rd place.

He is at fault for some bad player evaluations but he deserves credit for some others.

Im all for actually critiquing him and agreeing on blame in various facets but I won't indulge in hyperbole.

Are we just ignoring the striker we spent 60 odd million on who l hasn’t scored a league goal then yeah. If you just look at our ‘big’ transfers it’s basically: Mount, Antony, Casemiro, Martinez, Onana, Hojlund. It’s basically two successes out of six at the moment. I don’t know how you know the club gave no alternatives either though, that’s just fan fiction at this point. I don’t think you’ll ever agree with me that this transfer window was a stinker so we might as well agree to disagree.
I've addressed Hojlund.

It was well briefed that he wanted Kane. Fine he didn't get him because he was too expensive. But who was on the table from the club? It was Hojlund, Kolo Muani, Ramos. We were well briefed on the shortlist of strikers. When you're picking from that shortlist I don't see how Hojlund is the big flop.

I agree this window has been a stinker. But I am saying the shortlist of transfers is not made solely by the manager. It's a joint decision and our wonderful scouts couldn't muster proper alternatives for key positions.

We have also failed chronically with signings since we'll before ten hag. The misspending isn't a new problem. It's always been here irrespective of the manager.

Last edited:
Might have been misremembering. He certainly banned the use at the club or something similar. And he'd go deep into personal advice too telling players to get married or have a kid etc.
Encouraging his players to settle down and get married was true, especially in the 90s. But the key thing was he adapted with the times. He said in an interview with Jon Snow that he started mellowing in his later years as he realised the stern disciplinarian approach wasn't going to get the best out of the younger generation of players. Anyway - probably the wrong thread for this.

I've addressed Hojlund.

It was well briefed that he wanted Kane. Fine he didn't get him because he was too expensive. But who was on the table from the club? It was Hojlund, Kolo Muani, Ramos. We were well briefed on the shortlist of strikers. When you're picking from that shortlist I don't see how Hojlund is the big flop.
Obviously he wanted Kane, everyone does he’s probably the best striker on the planet. We don’t know who was discussed by the club, unless you were in the meetings with Ten Hag and Murtough it’s impossible to know. Even out of the brief list Hojlund is the only player to not have a league goal, and is currently behind Martial in the pecking order, he has hardly been a success.

Exactly. Just remove them three from the team and ETH will show what he can do.

you also need to remove Martial, Mctominay, Shaw, Rashford and Lindelof in my opinion. Those are Players who have been here for a long time and are all senior in terms of years and appearances but have proved time in time out that they have problems with attitude, fitness, injuries, consistency, desire and quality. Seen off JM, OGS, RR and possibly ETH. Bin those 5 and the last of the overpaid mercenaries in Varane, Casemiro and Sancho and you have a clean palette and a large chunk of wages back.

Obviously he wanted Kane, everyone does he’s probably the best striker on the planet. We don’t know who was discussed by the club, unless you were in the meetings with Ten Hag and Murtough it’s impossible to know. Even out of the brief list Hojlund is the only player to not have a league goal, and is currently behind Martial in the pecking order, he has hardly been a success.
It was briefed by very credible journalists what the short list was. Kolo Muani and Ramos were among the names with Hojlund. You can dig into it if you want.

If it helps I think Hojlund has more goals for United than the alternative names do combined. And we are shite whilst PSG are top of their league. Kolo Muani isn't even a traditional 9 from what I hear.

You're saying a lot of this. Not me. If he wasn't good at man management he wouldn't be able to bounce back from bad defeats or bad runs to go on a string of wins against the odds.

If he wasn't good at game plans he wouldn't finish 77 pts with 2 finals, one cup and 3rd place.

He is at fault for some bad player evaluations but he deserves credit for some others.

Im all for actually critiquing him and agreeing on blame in various facets but I won't indulge in hyperbole.

So, do you actually believe he is really good in man management?

What do you think he is good at? In your opinion, what makes him a world-class manager that can challenge Pep and Klopp? Because I can't see anything. Please explain to me like I am five, what is he exceptional at and why?

He is older than Pep and he hasn't actually achieved anything yet. Do you really believe that in 3-5-10 years, he will be able to challenge Pep?

So, do you actually believe he is really good in man management?

What do you think he is good at? In your opinion, what makes him a world-class manager that can challenge Pep and Klopp? Because I can't see anything. Please explain to me like I am five, what is he exceptional at and why?

He is older than Pep and he hasn't actually achieved anything yet. Do you really believe that in 3-5-10 years, he will be able to challenge Pep?
Maybe on another day, it's 00:21 here and I don't want to start all over again.

It was briefed by very credible journalists what the short list was. Kolo Muani and Ramos were among the names with Hojlund. You can dig into it if you want.

If it helps I think Hojlund has more goals for United than the alternative names do combined. And we are shite whilst PSG are top of their league. Kolo Muani isn't even a traditional 9 from what I hear.
Hojlund doesn’t have more goals for United than the alternatives combined, he also hasn’t scored in the league and at present isn’t consistently starting matches. I’m not overly concerned with who PSG bought, we bought a striker that isn’t ready to lead the line for us and are having to rely on Martial, again. Like I said, journalist stories are just rumours, it’s daft to take them as gospel and then praise Ten Hag and Murtough for picking the best of the bunch when they signed off on another poor transfer.

Are people genuinely writing Hojlund off :lol:
No, he’s 20. He isn’t anywhere near ready to be at United and we should have looked at more experienced options, it was poor squad planning.

Hojlund doesn’t have more goals for United than the alternatives combined, he also hasn’t scored in the league and at present isn’t consistently starting matches. I’m not overly concerned with who PSG bought, we bought a striker that isn’t ready to lead the line for us and are having to rely on Martial, again. Like I said, journalist stories are just rumours, it’s daft to take them as gospel and then praise Ten Hag and Murtough for picking the best of the bunch when they signed off on another poor transfer.
Isn't that due to him only just coming back from injury? When Hojlund is 100% fit, there's no way Martial is starting ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.