Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know our malaise as a club has nothing to do with my needs, but I am sick and tired of being laughed at by my colleagues for the idiotic manner in which United has been run since Ferguson retired. We all respect how ten Hag conducts himself personally but it's abundantly evident that it's all falling apart around him -- an immolation that he himself has had a hand in authoring. His transfers, with the exception of Martinez and Hojlund, have bee appalling, and his tactics come nowhere near to maximizing the talent has does have. The one thing you'd have to give him a lot of credit for is how he handled the Ronaldo fiasco.

What's saving him right now is the absence of any realistic alternative the club could bring in to replace Erik right now. The one plausible name is Conte but that's out of the question. Carlo's name has come up in speculation but that's just not realistic.
Just join them having fun. Seriously mate, let such stuff not get so close, it is football ffs. Nothing else. I am sure, you did everything very well as a fan, thats all you can do. It has all been there already, we have made fun of Liverpool for not getting it together, a little bit fun of Chelsea. Now it is us again. Lets not act as if it would just stop when things would start to get better a bit.

Hate to break it to you but there are thousands of employees who work for Manchester United. Moving on a bunch of players for better, more suitable ones isn’t dumb at all. Maybe that could be you?

In football a high turnover of playing staff is not exactly unusual, especially in transition.

"A bunch of players" isn't what was said though, is it. "The club needs to be purged from DOF, to manager and through to the players." is the full quote what was said. @Waynne

The implication being that doing that and replacing it then means you will suddenly become successful.

Now that does happen at a lot of clubs all over the league. Most lower league clubs replace their entire first 11 every 2 years pretty much - they're unrecognisable. Managers come and go too. But that doesn't suddenly make a side like Aldershot, who sell all their players and manager and replace them all suddenly league champions in their Division. It's just that there is a lot more room for improvement so they tend to be more risky in their decision making.

We need to be more selective with player recruitment no doubt but pretending that we just say we should sell everyone and the manager and replace them and that fixes things is such an insanely lazy cop out. There are 20 sides in the division, we are aiming to be better than all of them, but the margins for success are really thin and you can't just completely obliterate an entire structure and expect success, and that's not without realising that it would be prohibitively expensive (as well as an undoubted failure).

City got away with building their entire infrastructure up because they could afford to fail and do it all again. Misstep a full back, spunk 100million and go again
With the Glazers they simply won't. That's the biggest problem of all and the one Ratcliffe is going to struggle the most getting past.

Many, many people don’t see this.
Sad state of affairs. Those same folks might jump ship if the club and culture is indeed reset because there will be a some growing pains in the new setup and our fanbase can be very impatient.

Don't care if we play stupid football at this point, don't care if we win anything, don't care what happens on the pitch in this very moment at all.

Full cultural reset, full wage structure reset. Massive clearout. That's what's needed. Play youngsters who are eager to prove themselves and are willing to run their socks off and follow instructions.

Get rid of the toxic, overpaid, useless primadonas immediately.

Change of manager accomplishes nothing at this point.
These players would throw even SAF under the bus.

On that note - if ETH plays Rashford and Martial tomorrow, I'll be fecking pissed. If he plays them, I'll know that either they are more powerful than him in this club or he just hopes they'll magically play good (they won't). Lately I can't even look at their faces without getting angry.

Garnacho, Antony, Hojlund upfront. Mount ready to come on.

What is this obsession with "long-term managers"? None of our peer clubs make hiring decisions based on the expectation that the manager will still be in the job in 5-10 years. Football just doesn't work that way anymore.

"A bunch of players" isn't what was said though, is it. "The club needs to be purged from DOF, to manager and through to the players." is the full quote what was said. @Waynne

The implication being that doing that and replacing it then means you will suddenly become successful.

Now that does happen at a lot of clubs all over the league. Most lower league clubs replace their entire first 11 every 2 years pretty much - they're unrecognisable. Managers come and go too. But that doesn't suddenly make a side like Aldershot, who sell all their players and manager and replace them all suddenly league champions in their Division. It's just that there is a lot more room for improvement so they tend to be more risky in their decision making.

We need to be more selective with player recruitment no doubt but pretending that we just say we should sell everyone and the manager and replace them and that fixes things is such an insanely lazy cop out. There are 20 sides in the division, we are aiming to be better than all of them, but the margins for success are really thin and you can't just completely obliterate an entire structure and expect success, and that's not without realising that it would be prohibitively expensive (as well as an undoubted failure).

City got away with building their entire infrastructure up because they could afford to fail and do it all again. Misstep a full back, spunk 100million and go again
With the Glazers they simply won't. That's the biggest problem of all and the one Ratcliffe is going to struggle the most getting past.
I was referring to the Melissa Reddy tweet, not the poster.

I was referring to the Melissa Reddy tweet, not the poster.
Oh yeah, in that case it's hard to argue with what she/Rangnick said really :lol: He has been proven right in a lot of what he said, I think Ten Hag came in and has tried to work with the players/mould them into his vision but they're unmouldable (and the players he's brought in, Hojlund aside, haven't done well so far)

Feels like it’s escalating quickly right now, with the dressing room leaks and his comment today, which frankly smacked of desperation the way he was trying to big up average-at-best performances. I think Anfield or Bayern will be the final straw.

Another strong action by ten hag today with the journalists. Its an ugly, messy process rebuilding and trying to alter the culture of a club that has failed for a decade. Terrible situations like those that arose with ronaldo, sancho and others are something we have to embrace. For years, the likes of pogba and lingard just coasted through. More and more stories emerge every now and then about just how bad the dressing room culture and professionalism has been.

Before we can ever think about winning big trophies again, this simply has to be dealt with. May there be another ugly 'morale damaging' fall out with martial, rashford...whoever, whatever is needed next. Weed them all out one by one. I'm so so sick of the same thing happening and huge portions of the fanbase seemingly forgetting that we've been here before and it gets worse each time. It's like a joke or a curse - how many more managers does it happen to before you think, okay, maybe this time we try give a manager longer even if it means no trophies, to fully weed out the unprofessionals. Whatever you want to say about ten hag and his signings for example, Id sooner see Casemiro, Antony, Hojlund, Martinez and Mount have to battle for us, than plenty of players who were here before he came.

Imagine thinking that going out and punting on de zerbi, or whoever else is popular now, is the right approach?!

A list of all names that have been thrown up when calls for sacking previous managers were made.

See how so many of those managers are doing now. Flashes in the pan, overachievers, managers who had a club in a golden era. They might not have been hot favourites but off the top of my head, there were people at times in the last decade absolutely convinced that the following were the guys to do the job, and I include myself in this delusion. (not to mention van gaal and mourinho).. I don't want anybody to tell me with a straight face that any of them would have done the job in hindsight, and if you do, then you better point to some evidence that they were succesful since the links.

Potter, Pochettino, Enrique, Allegri, Rogers, Blanc, Zidane, Jardim was ALL the rage, fecking Conte, Deschamps, Low, Nagelsmann. Going back to post Moyes among the bookies names were Capello, de Boer, Laudrup....the list goes on and on and on. Stop for the love of god having your head turned by any manager, no matter how good, who will just be coming into the same disjointed shit show and let a manager rebuild an entire dressing room, only keeping the players he'd identified as good enough and promoting the youth he wants. What have we got to lose.

I deleted the comment because I didn't truly believe what I wrote and I felt it was too hash in hindsight, I also think it didn't add much to the discussion.

I don't need any meaning or substance, we're terrible and haven't beaten a top 8 side away since he arrived. I've consistently said that he sticks to his philosophies and then refuses to adapt in game, which is what I mean when I say he hasn't got a plan or a clue as to what he's doing. Football has progressed past the point of putting a team out with some 'principals' and telling them to do the principals more if they want to win the game. There is no plan beyond that, it's one dimensional and it's terrible management at this level in my opinion.

You realise we can read your previous posts, right?

You've consistently said that he sticks to his philosophies, apart from as recently as a month ago where you were talking about how he was setting the team out in complete opposition of his principles to prove a point?

I definitely complained about this last season, but were getting battered for fun and he was sending them out there super open as if to prove a point that the players aren’t good enough to do what he wants. Now he’s doing the opposite to prove this is the best he can get out of them. He’s not even trying, it’s on par with Mourinho calling the board out for not paying him a new CB.

Or when you were criticising him for adapting his play style to the "United way"?

If anything it’s confirmation he’s out of his depth. No top manager comes in and adapts their philosophy and play style they’re been hired for to suit a historic style of play that was relevant 20+ years ago, and if there was a case where you agreed to that as the United manager, you wouldn’t then go and sign players who play best within that system only to make them transition players.

Or when you couldn't even identify his style?

What's his style?

Or when you were saying his style was "make it up as you go along"?

Exactly, it's all clueless, make it up as you go along, styles of play.

I've not even had to go back further than November to find these.

If I go back further, you go from criticising the lack of transfer structure causing us to waste money to pinning money wasted entirely on Ten Hag, and you've gone from claiming we'd have won the quadruple if he was properly supported in his first summer and stating that you believed he'd win us a PL and CL double within five seasons to going on about "Dutch" philosophies being unsuccessful.

We've had one 'article' criticising Ten Hag for sticking rigidly to his style of play despite the lack of quality at his disposal and suddenly you've agreed with this take the entire time, despite not even being able to identify his style of play and criticising him for adapting his style of play literally a month ago, as well as previously claiming that he should simply be able to coach the players to do what he wants.

The only thing you've done with consistency is be incredibly inconsistent and reactionary with your supposed views.

:lol: So I guess this proves your point I want him sacked for the sake of being right. Here I am congratulating the manager on winning and having us playing well when clearly I want him sacked instead. Why would I be complaining about the manager at that point? What exactly are you trying to prove other than fans are happy when their team is winning and playing well?

It'd have been a bit mad if you were calling for his sacking then.

I'm not sure when the flip switched with you, but it's very easy to prove that once it did, you just wanted him sacked, and anything you'd previously said can be instantly disregarded if a new criticism comes along and contradicts it.

You can't expect anyone to take anything you say (at least on this issue) remotely seriously when one minute you're saying Ten Hag isn't a top manager because he's adapting his style of play to suit one "relevant 20+ years ago" and that he's "doing the opposite" of his preferred style to prove some sort of point about the squad, then the next you turn around and say he's been stubbornly unwavering from his preferred style.

Any legitimate criticisms you may have of him simply can't be taken in good faith because while there are concerns to be had about certain things, your track record suggests you'd be equally supportive of contradictory analysis if it was critical of Ten Hag.

What is this obsession with "long-term managers"? None of our peer clubs make hiring decisions based on the expectation that the manager will still be in the job in 5-10 years. Football just doesn't work that way anymore.

I think because we dont have a proper dof or recruitment department. It will probably take 5 years to sort this squad out. Once that is rectified by Ineos (hopefully) that should happen anyway despite manager

Managing the biggest club in the world ain’t no easy task.

Looking at other teams long wait for a leagues title…
Arsenal 1 league title in 20 years.
Liverpool 1 league title in 34 years
United 10 years and counting.

This is a very difficult period for EtH. I hope he has the character to survive, but it’s not going to be easy.

Probably because the two most successful English clubs in the past decade have had their managers for eight years and seven years, and the club emerging as a potential third title challenger has had theirs for four and required a bedding in period of around three seasons before results picked up, yet our fan base seems to think one and a bit seasons is enough regardless of massive injury issues affecting on-field performances and numerous off-field issues casting a massive shadow over the club.

Ideally, your manager will stick around for a long time, because that means things are going consistently well. It's hard for things to go consistently well when reaching a third season is considered a long tenure.

From Man Utd appointment of Ten Haag, we can conclude and agree we wanted to move towards an agressive (out of possession) and controlled (in possesion) tyype of play which is the modern football type. Mastering these two is key to create chances and win games in a pleasing dominant way as the best teams in the last decade have done.
But, Man Utd suffers from many deeprooted problems all over the club. Player power, poor disciplinary record and mentality, supplemented by poor running of a football club across various levels. As Ragnick said it, we need an open heart surgery, just splashing money left and right is not the way forward (we did spend a lot over the last decade, but poorly). Its just a way to calm supporters, just splash money and buy.
Ten Haag is not a god! We are expecting him to do everything from training, to scouting, to disciplinary, to observe nutrition, to run the club and so on and so on. Other successfull teams have efficient foorball hierarchy with a strategic view working hand in hand with the manager and truly supporting them. Now in my opinion i will try to provide my view on each players strength and style of play which suits ten haag.

GK:
Onana: A ten Haag signing and suit his style. More than De Gea. He is not the same wall as De Gea in his peak, but claiming that De Gea is better is really not the right way to go. Onana was bought in because we wanted to evolve our style to a more proactive way, playing possession football and having 1 possession confortable player to play with. Unfortunately, due to injuries, in front of him we didnt and still not have the required players to receive risky balls and capable of ball retaining under pressure. The connection from defence lisandro is not here, shaw was also absent, no real pressure resistant atheletic and confortable in possession defensive midfield in the team. Hence we are not yet getting the most out of him. He is experiencing a number of high profile on target shots which s not helping his case either, the midfield and defence being completely open without the required players. Granted he is also culpable to a number of mistakes, but so was De Gea.

DF:
Only players who really suit Ten Haag style of play are Lisandro Martinez, Luke Shaw and Rafael Varane. Shaw and Varane mostly spend their time on the treatment table than the team. Lisandro was unfortunately injured. But at least these three has the mentality to play for the team, they have thick skin and they strive to get better and responds to critics whenever directed at them (shaw demonstrated over his career and martinez). They bring that grit (shaw and lisandro) and that serenity in case of varane. But as said they are not always availlable really affecting style of play.
Case of Maguire. Not a Ten Haag style. But a true professional. Got back from no man's land and still shows determination. He is not a 80 million CB but he is a very good one if we play by his strength. Not suitable in a high line because of lack of speed but at leat a rock in defence (and good injury record) when we are getting battered. Incidently, his value goes up and his defending come to fore when man Utd are being dominated by other team. Very good in a defensive minded team, but not strong in a proactive type of football due to lack of speed and high line. Has good character from what we have seen.
AWB and Dalot: Tries hard, but both have their limitations. One in attack and one in defence. Should be working more on their concentration. A least mentality and attitude wise they get by.

Midfield: Ten Haag type players for a ten haag style midfield of aggressive, technical and controlled way of playing are almost non existent. There is no real balance in the midfield. Could be overcomed if at least players cover for each others weakness but that is lacking.
Bruno: Ticks the cases for creativity, stamina, technicality and mentality. Can be petulant some times but thats another issue. The complete opposite of what we would call controlled. Brunos best game comes when he at least has cover when he is going to losse the ball. Or when he plays in a defensive team and counterattacking team. As we want to transition to a more proactive play he should get cover for his lost ball to truly flourish but unfortunately we dont have that in our midfield.
Ericksen: Tempo setter but past his years already. No longer athletic and mobile enough. Was never his position but could play the tempo setter which we surely lack when we want to control games. Knows when to give the ball away, when to make space, when to give the ball to fernandes, and when to open up play. Suspect in the defensive part.
Casemiro: Midfield destroyer, good passing ability. But pass his peak already and his legs are giving up. Cant cover for everyone.
These 3 complemented each other, albeit not in a perfect way, but at least they complemented each other.

Scott mctominay: Not ten haag style at all. Has goals in him, but a great liability if we want a dominant midfield. Averaging 20-25 passes a game is far too little for a midfielder aspiring to play in a team that aims to dominate possession. Completely clueless in defensive positioning and cutting passing lanes, cannot pass, not so good with possession. But very good at late coming into the box and scoring from midfield. A fortune and a misfortune at the same time in this man utd team. We need his goals since we lack control of midfield and we do not play well but on the contrary if we had a better midfielder, we would be playing better and creating more chances and dominating midfield and thus producing more goals. Has his use as a game changing sub but not a starter for a team aspiring to be like the great temas. Has good mentality though.

Mejbri: better than mctominay, very good application, willing runner, good mentality more technical than mctominay. But still lacks the positional awareness running around too much, a fred and mctominay in one player. Runs a lot, but leaves too much space. leaving a porous midfield. If averyone knows how to press collectively, it will not be a problem, but this team is yet to master that. More suited to play fernandes (10) role with less burdon on positioning.

Mainoo: Really a talent which is being groomed into the holding midfield tempo setting midfielder. Has athletism, good positioning for his young age and can read the play well well for his age. Hopefully truly mature into a top athletic defensive midfielder capable of both setting the tempo and defending.

Mason mount and Amrabat: Too little from them. They are not pure defensive midfielders, but were bought to provide bow to box play. But are still suspect defensively and dont produce enough offensively.

Attack
Rashford: Really was a beast pre-shoulder injury where he was trying to really improve and was a team player. Now no longer good. Overrated at most. Has really fallen low. Starting to question his mentality. Not good enough and gives me the impression that he overrates his ability too much. Selfish, poor passing and poor decision making. At 25 no longer a kid. I believe we should sell him if we can. People still looks at his numbers, but is in the same category as mctominay - numbers mask the reality. When there is no numbers, we see the reality. Even when he was scoring, that didint mean he was playing well. Apart form his goals, he has long stopped from contributing to play (as he did pre shoulder injury with his good passing and decision making).
Sancho: Nothing to say about him. Talented player but poor mentality and application
Martial: Talented player but poor mentality and application
These 3 attackers remained a talent. Their mentality and lack of dedication have truly hold them back. This is a character trait, i think its too late for them to overcome at man utd since they already have a sense of entitlement. Unfortunately should be sold.

Garnacho, Rasmus: Young hungry players being let down by their team mates and poor dressing room atmosphere created by certain players. Still young but better give them the opportunity than stick with players who have poor mentality and application to the cause.

Anthony: Gets too much stick by united fans for his overpriced transfer. He has his limitations. But he provides balance on the right side and dedication to the team. Still suspect in certain decision making and should be more direct, but still has chance to improve. In a fully functional team, should become a really good player. At least he runs and defends but still susceptible to certain lack of concentration sometimes. Not yet feel the entitlement as rashford, martial and sancho.

Ten haag has tried to sign players with better mentality by signing those he knows. He should be supported more in the scouting part - he tried his best but he is not right everytime. I understand him going for what he knows but that is limiting man utd because he knows mainly the dutch league and many have not adapted to premier league or yet to adapt to PL. At least mentality wise we can see what kind of players he is looking for.
Promote this guy.

I've seen this a couple of times already - why would Ancelotti be fantastic? He is a great manager to make the last step, pushing a very good team to be the best team in a given year. But why would that be helpful to us? We have next to nothing to build upon. He is experienced though I agree so in theory our primadonnas should have respect for a little longer but I don't think, he is the right manager for us. If we have to bring in another manager because of some stupid decisions in the coming weeks, then it has to be somebody very very strict. Somebody who is happy to get into conflict and who is ready to push every of our "stars" to the Reserves training if the effort isn't right and when instructions aren't followed.
I get what you're saying, but I just think Ancelotti would be good because of his general quality as a manager. I know he didn't take Everton to Europe in his time there, but he got them playing well and they had a worse squad at the time than we do now. Obviously he wouldn't be expected to come here and stay for ages, but if there isn't a clear and obvious top candidate someone like Ancelotti would be very good imo.

Getting rid of half the squad isn't feasible and sacking the manager evidently doesn't solve much at all.

Before all that you need a proper DoF or may as well not bother but, even earlier, must fix the root problem of it all which is the club being run on a different wavelength were players are assets on a balance sheet first, marketability after and not all that much for what they actually do on a football pitch. That's were the player power springs from.

Frankly, people have always ridiculed Ole, but without changing the above the best we could hope for is something akin to the trajectory Vibes FC was on until the signing of PRonaldo rocked the boat and made it descend into the chaos that last couple of months were.

Probably because the two most successful English clubs in the past decade have had their managers for eight years and seven years, and the club emerging as a potential third title challenger has had theirs for four and required a bedding in period of around three seasons before results picked up, yet our fan base seems to think one and a bit seasons is enough regardless of massive injury issues affecting on-field performances and numerous off-field issues casting a massive shadow over the club.

Ideally, your manager will stick around for a long time, because that means things are going consistently well. It's hard for things to go consistently well when reaching a third season is considered a long tenure.
Chelsea is the second most successful English clubs in the past decade.

Even if you meant Liverpool and City, you can't be serious to compare ETH to Klopp and Pep right? Reputation wise is already not comparable. The improvement wise, these two managers had in their first 3 season was very linear trajectory. The philosophy behind their playing style is non negotiable. Someone without a belief in his method is unlikely to go the long way, let alone compare to two of the best managers currently.

You made it sound like Pep went handful of seasons during his time at City trophyless, or Klopp team looked like Mourinho football for years before success came.

If there is easy to find another Pep, Klopp; why would we keep looking for another SAF (running the whole club like a DOF on top of first team coaching).

Last edited:
Chelsea is the second most successful English clubs in the past decade.

Even if you meant Liverpool and City, you can't be serious to compare ETH to Klopp and Pep right? Reputation wise is already not comparable. The improvement wise, these two managers had a very linear trajectory. The philosophy behind their playing style is non negotiable. Someone without a belief in his method is unlikely to go the long way, let alone compare to two of the best managers currently.

Alright, two of the most successful sides then.

I'm not comparing Ten Hag to them, I'm just highlighting that a revolving door approach has proven equally as unsuitable and that three of the four longest serving PL managers happen to be at the helm of arguably the three best sides in the league.

There's a middle ground between giving a manager 5-10 seasons and sacking them within two or three.

I wavered a little post-Newcastle but the last few days and the media and leaks etc. have solidified my view

I'm 100% backing the guy to the end.

Alright, two of the most successful sides then.

I'm not comparing Ten Hag to them, I'm just highlighting that a revolving door approach has proven equally as unsuitable and that three of the four longest serving PL managers happen to be at the helm of arguably the three best sides in the league.

There's a middle ground between giving a manager 5-10 seasons and sacking them within two or three.
Comparing favorably to the best outcome is very lazy. There are a host of other bad outcome. Is Chelsea sacking Potter last season unfair? What if ETH is our Emery version? Should we not progress to Arteta phase?

Which team would automatically give manager at least 4 seasons when evidence of regression was stacking against the manager?

The issue with ETH is that he now looks lost at what to do. We're neither good deep block, nor good in possession, nor gung ho gen gen pressing team. It's not about purely result, but building an identity, foundation for future. He can't believe in what previous made him an exciting coach at Ajax, what's the point of the fan to trust himself now?

Last edited:
I reckon if the leaks are true, it's probably only Sancho, maybe Varane (kind of doubt it), and maybe Casameiro (doubt it). Can't see anyone else really. Would much rather purge any of those than ETH.

I reckon if the leaks are true, it's probably only Sancho, maybe Varane (kind of doubt it), and maybe Casameiro (doubt it). Can't see anyone else really. Would much rather purge any of those than ETH.
I don't think it's necessarily players...

Exactly. Just remove them three from the team and ETH will show what he can do.

If you are suggesting it's completely fabricated i would not put it past the "media".
I'm suggesting it's people like Arnold/Murtough or other potentially disgruntled employees about to get canned.

It's something people don't seem to be considering much. Arnold leaked stuff before.

There's feck all chance SAF gets the same time in today's game. In season 3 or 4 he was finishing in the bottom half of the league wasn't he?
In modern football at a club of United magnitude he gets enough funds to proceed with rebuild much quicker than it took in the 80s when you couldn’t just grab whoever you liked. Different circumstances.

In modern football at a club of United magnitude he gets enough funds to proceed with rebuild much quicker than it took in the 80s when you couldn’t just grab whoever you liked. Different circumstances.
Yes but you have to assume he spends the funds well, and he has the right support and that the modern players hooked on social media and player power will warm to his cold discipline.

Back in his time he could ban twitter across the whole club and get away with it. Not so much now.

I'm suggesting it's people like Arnold/Murtough or other potentially disgruntled employees about to get canned.

It's something people don't seem to be considering much. Arnold leaked stuff before.
Would be peak United if our CEO was leaking info to fecking MEN

Why the manager though? How can you feasibly judge his quality if you are also willing to accept the players and the DoF and the CEO are terrible?
The players are certainly not bad enough to be one of the worst to watch teams in the league, and the directors/CEO did not really prevent him from getting £400m of players of his choice, he’s been supported heavily by them.

We can of course give him £1billion and allow him to build a whole new squad of his choice (it’s already been established that he demands full control over transfers, hence Rangnick departure) but I am quite certain it would not make us better unless we also move the club to Groningen.

Comparing favorably to the best outcome is very lazy. There are a host of other bad outcome. Is Chelsea sacking Potter last season unfair? What if ETH is our Emery version? Should we not progress to Arteta phase?

It can be true that Ten Hag turns out not be the one while simultaneously being true that a club, ideally, wants their manager sticking around for a while. As I said, it's a sign that things are going consistently well.

There's also a middle ground between blindly giving a manager 5 years regardless of results and sacking him at the first bump in the road.

Potter is an awful example given he won just six of 21 league games, half of which were his first three games, and had the worst record of any of Chelsea's Premier League managers. He was clearly out of his depth.

I'm also not sure Emery is a great example, given that he had Arsenal finishing 5th in his first season (they finished 6th in Wenger's last and fifth the season before), and he was sacked after a poor run saw them drop from 3rd to 8th, and Arteta only managed to salvage 8th on the final day, finished there again the following season, and only managed to match Emery's 5th placed finish in his third season. Emery went on to win the Europa League and reach the CL semis with Villarreal, and turned a relegation threatened Villa side into a decent top half team, currently competing for a CL spot, and are sat top of their Conference League group having won four from five. It's not a massive stretch to think that he could have done alright with Arsenal had they not pulled the trigger at the first sign of trouble.

Again, Ten Hag might not be the one, but he took us to 3rd and won us a cup last season, and that was with us being in complete disarray the season before and having to replace Ronaldo with Weghorst mid-season. He's earned more than 14 games of a heavily disrupted second campaign.

Yes but you have to assume he spends the funds well, and he has the right support and that the modern players hooked on social media and player power will warm to his cold discipline.

Back in his time he could ban twitter across the whole club and get away with it. Not so much now.
I’d trust Fergie’s ability to adapt, he managed in virtually three different eras with overwhelming succcess in all of them.

It’s disrespectful to the man to even mention him in this thread.

Reactions: Fortitude

If SAF came into United and spent what we have on Antony, Mount, Onana, Hojlund etc he would deserve to lose his job, especially if he set us up how we’ve been for most of the season.

Who in this current squad is causing all the fuss then because we was blaming Pogba and Lingard for years

I’d trust Fergie’s ability to adapt, he managed in virtually three different eras with overwhelming succcess in all of them.

It’s disrespectful to the man to even mention him in this thread.
I'm not the one that introduced him into the thread?

If SAF came into United and spent what we have on Antony, Mount, Onana, Hojlund etc he would deserve to lose his job, especially if he set us up how we’ve been for most of the season.
SAF isn't a DoF so I don't care about managerial mistakes in transfer targets. There should be a structure that doesn't give the manager sole say.

Point being, his disciplinarian style probably wouldn't work as well today as it did before.

I'm not the one that introduced him into the thread?

SAF isn't a DoF so I don't care about managerial mistakes in transfer targets. There should be a structure that doesn't give the manager sole say.

Point being, his disciplinarian style probably wouldn't work as well today as it did before.
It was ETH’s condition when he joined the club and the reason why Rangnick left. He wanted authority over transfers.

We were dumb to allow this to happen but he should have also known his limitations. The whole concept of trying to recreate his Ajax team here was ludicrous to begin with and all sides, him included, should have realized that.

The current manager doesn’t have sole say, this has been repeatedly established and isn’t a valid excuse for Ten Hag and Murtough creating a mess of a squad. SAF was a world class manager including having a big day on transfers and would 100% adapt to the modern game, it’s not that much different now to when he retired 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.