Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I think you're just pulling my leg - fair enough for dragging me into it as long as you did.

Yeah, good thing I haven't done that - I however; do not absolve him of responsibility because of supposed impending organisational changes - as it's been widely reported the club attempted to accommodate his targets (to a detrimental degree even) as it was suggested by the Rangnick quote.
I’ve already been told it it’s not his job to recruit players, it’s not his job to motivate them and he is also not fully responsible for what they do on the pitch because we cannot be certain that they follow his orders, so basically it is not his job to set us up tactically either.

Makes me wonder why we even have a highly paid person in this job that requires basically nothing from you.

That's the big question isn't it. The answer probably depends on who is available and willing to join. As others said if you could get someone pragmatic like Emery we would be better off in the short term. Long term we would need to find an emerging talent or proven manager that can get the best out of us. Ancelotti would be fantastic if we could actually get him.
Your last sentence contradicts your previous sentence. A 64 year old manager isn't going to be a long term option.

Also, I rate Emery as a medium club manager. But I don't think he's cut out for one of the biggest jobs in world football. There's a reason why most Arsenal fans were glad to see the back of him.

Thanks for answering, I agree that it is the easiest and therefore the most likely option. A Few more questions:

What do you mean by progress? Finish higher in the table vs last season or win 2 cups vs 1? Or another measure?

Do you think if we had a different manager at the start of the season we wouldn’t have had the same amount of injuries?

Also do you think with a different manager we would have offloaded Maguire and Mctominay in the summer and not be playing them again this season?
Progress isn't linear in terms of results I don't think. Like I said, a manger with a long term plan would have to have a proper go at introducing a functional style of play. A short term one yeah progress might mean higher finishes, better results vs the top 10, trophies. I don't know if having a different manager would result in fewer injuries, likely not, no. It probably depends on if the coaching and training sessions haven't left the players in full fitness, the high volume of friendlies was a point of discussion over the summer for example. I don't know if another manager would want to 'offload' either of the players mentioned, I would like to think if they were dead set against using them, they would recruit players in their positions so they don't then rely on them to save their seasons, rather than squandering cash on players like Mount that make little sense on the surface.

Your last sentence contradicts your previous sentence. A 64 year old manager isn't going to be a long term option.

Also, I rate Emery as a medium club manager. But I don't think he's cut out for one of the biggest jobs in world football. There's a reaaon why most Arsenal fans were glad to see the back of him.
No it doesn't, he would be an example of a short term pragmatic manager that would get better results immediately. I quite obviously wouldn't think Ancelotti would be here for a project as he isn't that kind of manager? Emery may not be cut out for the United job, I think he is certainly a better and more proven manager than the one we have right now. A large portion of fans would be delighted to see the back of Ten Hag.

This is what happens when you have a ‘principals’ manager. You consistently play the same way, insist on the same principals and then you blame the players when it doesn’t come off because the principals can never be wrong.

Just think about how many world class CB parings would never have saw the light of day if your CB’s had to be one left and one right footer? Not us though, it’s absolutely necessary if we’re going to beat the likes of Luton.

This is common throughout the team. They’re doing ‘principals’ for the sake of it.
We‘ve played many games with two right footed cb‘s. Shaw played lcb for two reasons: Martinez is out and it is less demanding than playing lb. His playing time and intensity is being managed

This is what happens when you have a ‘principals’ manager. You consistently play the same way, insist on the same principals and then you blame the players when it doesn’t come off because the principals can never be wrong.

Just think about how many world class CB parings would never have saw the light of day if your CB’s had to be one left and one right footer? Not us though, it’s absolutely necessary if we’re going to beat the likes of Luton.

This is common throughout the team. They’re doing ‘principals’ for the sake of it.

I'm fairly sure you're one of the main complainants about us apparently having no identifiable principles (or style, or philosophy, whatever you want to call it) but now because a blog post has said sticking to principles is bad, you've changed your tune.

Apologies if it's not you in particular, but it's frankly hilarious that we've had weeks of "what is he even trying?", seemingly endless posts about how it's great that Spurs have gone to shit with injuries because Crocodile Dundee isn't wavering from his principles even if it means losing, and even more about how Ten Hag should stick to his philosophy even if the players don't suit it, and now one piece criticises Ten Hag for doing precisely that and suddenly we've got a bunch of posters jumping on that and agreeing wholeheartedly.

Edit: Just checked, you do appear to be one of them. So which is it? Is he a stubborn philosophy guy or is he just making up as he goes along? It seems you change your mind on this as long as it remains a stick to beat Ten Hag with.

We have sacked every type of manager it's possible to have at this point. Surely you see that for all his faults sacking ETH will result in more of the same?

Genuinely for those that are ETH out, what do you expect with a new manager? Like for this and next season what would the expectations be?
We have sacked Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Solskajer.
None was good enough when they came here to win us big trophies. They all went in a smaller club after here.

Do you think SAF was here 26 years only because he got support ? He was one of the best manager ever.

We need a manager good enough.

No it doesn't, he would be an example of a short term pragmatic manager that would get better results immediately. I quite obviously wouldn't think Ancelotti would be here for a project as he isn't that kind of manager? Emery may not be cut out for the United job, I think he is certainly a better and more proven manager than the one we have right now. A large portion of fans would be delighted to see the back of Ten Hag.
Is a short term pragmatic manager really a good idea? We tried that with Mourinho and it set us back years. A short term manager isn't going to care about bedding in the youngsters from the academy. As he'll be aware he was brought in to generate instant results, he's not going to have patience with any of the younger lads with raw ability, and will more likely push for signing older players who are going to be of no use to us in 3 years time.

We have sacked Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Solskajer.
None was good enough when they came here to win us big trophies. They all went in a smaller club after here.

Do you think SAF was here 26 years only because he got support ? He was one of the best manager ever.

We need a manager good enough.
There's feck all chance SAF gets the same time in today's game. In season 3 or 4 he was finishing in the bottom half of the league wasn't he?

I'm fairly sure you're one of the main complainants about us apparently having no identifiable principles (or style, or philosophy, whatever you want to call it) but now because a blog post has said sticking to principles is bad, you've changed your tune.

Apologies if it's not you in particular, but it's frankly hilarious that we've had weeks of "what is he even trying?", seemingly endless posts about how it's great that Spurs have gone to shit with injuries because Crocodile Dundee isn't wavering from his principles even if it means losing, and even more about how Ten Hag should stick to his philosophy even if the players don't suit it, and now one piece criticises Ten Hag for doing precisely that and suddenly we've got a bunch of posters jumping on that and agreeing wholeheartedly.

Edit: Just checked, you do appear to be one of them. So which is it? Is he a stubborn philosophy guy or is he just making up as he goes along? It seems you change your mind on this as long as it remains a stick to beat Ten Hag with.

You're probably right. And the below posts are just from today.

There are quite a few people who just want him to fail, so they can proved right they wanted him gone. I've said it before, it's the self fulfilling prophecy, they want him to fail so they can be happy they were proven right. It will happen with the next manager and the one after that and continue until the end of time.

We’re never going to see it apparently, it’s reserved only for Ajax. Considering we’re only two first team players away from his first choice 11 we should be seeing something.
I don’t understand the excuses or the plan if there is one. I think a lot of people are just jaded with the hiring and firing of managers so they cling to the hope that the current one is the right one, he just needs more time 25 new players and about £1b.

Is a short term pragmatic manager really a good idea? We tried that with Mourinho and it set us back years. A short term manager isn't going to care about bedding in the youngsters from the academy. As he'll be aware he was brought in to generate instant results, he's not going to have patience with any of the younger lads with raw ability, and will more likely push for signing older players who are going to be of no use to us in 3 years time.
If we can’t find anyone that we want to be here long term then yeah. Bring in an older head that can still bring in youth players (not that we’ve got loads coming through anyway) but is better tactically than ETH.

She gets it

Yeah well its not rocket science and I've said this countless times along with other members.

The club needs to be purged from DOF, to manager and through to the players.

A complete reset is needed and I hope Ratcliffe can get the pieces in place to get the ball rolling on that front.

Start at the very top with the very best in class to run the footballing operations and the rest will fall in place.

Yeah well its not rocket science and I've said this countless times along with other members.

A complete reset is needed and I hope Ratcliffe can get the pieces in place to get the ball rolling on that front.

Start at the very top with the very best in class to run the footballing operations and the rest will fall in place.
Many, many people don’t see this.

There's feck all chance SAF gets the same time in today's game. In season 3 or 4 he was finishing in the bottom half of the league wasn't he?
He beat Madrid with Aberdeen…

So you think the managers we had post him were as good as him ?

The club wasn’t in the same situation when he took over. It wasn’t one of the richest in the world . He made it. So today, he won’t need few years to show some results.

He beat Madrid with Aberdeen…

So you think the managers we had post him were as good as him ?

The club wasn’t in the same situation when he took over. It wasn’t one of the richest in the world . He made it. So today, he won’t need few years to show some results.
He can beat Madrid with Aberdeen in this modern era and still be sacked by season 3 when he finished just above relegation.

You're probably right. And the below posts are just from today.

There are quite a few people who just want him to fail, so they can proved right they wanted him gone. I've said it before, it's the self fulfilling prophecy, they want him to fail so they can be happy they were proven right. It will happen with the next manager and the one after that and continue until the end of time.
I would love nothing more than Ten Hag to turn this around and prove he’s a good manager with tactical nouse.

If we can’t find anyone that we want to be here long term then yeah. Bring in an older head that can still bring in youth players (not that we’ve got loads coming through anyway) but is better tactically than ETH.
Like who? That's the question. I don't see any long-term manager out there who is unlikely to crumble under the pressure of one of the biggest jobs in world football.

If we're not careful we're going to end up sacking our manager without a succession plan in place and end up with another Rangnick type of situation.

Does he spend £400m and make the squad worse in this scenario also?
I love this argument now.
You're angry at money spent - blame the structure. To blame the manager because of poor DoF duties is so outright hilarious its just clutching at more straws than a masturbating strawman. Give over.

Ye because that’s what’s happened over the last few years when players have constantly thrown managers under the bus.

Well exactly, and we keep ending up back in the same place soon enough.

I'm hoping the new regime won't be so weak this time.

@crossy1686

Let me clarify for you, he’s shite and doesn’t know what he’s doing. It’s square pegs, rounds holes and it’s all the pegs fault from his perspective. Stubbornness for the sake of stubbornness. I can’t blame him though, there’s such a rich history of Dutch coaches winning things with their Cruyff principals in the last 30 years…

I'm not sure why you deleted your post, but you've confirmed to everyone that you've got nothing of any meaning or substance to add to a discussion about Ten Hag.

You've been one of an extremely vocal group saying that Ten Hag is shite for not sticking to his philosophy despite the players at his disposal, and now one piece on a random website by a bloke called Pauly something says that we've been shite because he has stuck to his philosophy despite the players at his disposal and you've completely changed your tune.

Couldn't be clearer that all you want is for Ten Hag to be sacked just so you can go "see, I was right all along!" and that you have absolutely no desire to actually discuss him with anything remotely resembling good faith.

@crossy1686

I'm not sure why you deleted your post, but you've confirmed to everyone that you've got nothing of any meaning or substance to add to a discussion about Ten Hag.

You've been one of an extremely vocal group saying that Ten Hag is shite for not sticking to his philosophy despite the players at his disposal, and now one piece on a random website by a bloke called Pauly something says that we've been shite because he has stuck to his philosophy despite the players at his disposal and you've completely changed your tune.

Couldn't be clearer that all you want is for Ten Hag to be sacked just so you can go "see, I was right all along!" and that you have absolutely no desire to actually discuss him with anything remotely resembling good faith.

In fairness, if you look at his first few pages of posts in this thread, he's calling for an overhaul and saying that he deserves time to flog most of the players off and we need to recruit properly to challenge etc.

Not quite sure why he turned against him to this extent.

I love him. Time to throw out the garbage with a bath water who oppose the club's approach to stand by him.

I find it very hard to call Hojlund a hit. He has scored no goals in the league so far and is clearly not ready.

he’s shown enough in the UCL to show he is a good player and I think he will get better as well.

the problem is that he should have been brought in as a long term investment to develop and to come off the bench and play cup games etc. instead he’s going to have to hold responsibility for scoring all the goals in an underperforming team in his first months in english football. He shouldn't need to be this ready yet. Squad planning has hung him out to dry

You're comparing apple and orange.

Back in the days, during the ban on English clubs in European competition, there is little difference between finish second and outside of relegation zone. There is no UEFA Cup qualification reward. You win the league or you don't. You're relegated or you don't. Trophies counts. That's why SAF specifically mentioned that the FA Cup triumph saved his job. That FA triumph brought the Cup Winner's Cup qualification, which we won and put behind everything. Cup Winner's Cup was almost equivalent of finishing 2nd placed. There is a reason, plenty of strong teams were also in CWC back in the days before UEFA reformation of these competition. From prestige point of view, CWC can be seen as a more reputable competition due to the fact that it was a competitions for mostly champions of domestic Cups. UEFA Cup is more difficult to navigate, but it's a competition of challengers that fell short to win.

Nowadays, it's easier for "losers" to get into CL, and especially smaller UEFA competitions, so don't expect the modern SAF career to be the same when applying context. Even washed out Mourinho and David Moyes all had won ECL, and both had a strong EL campaign in recent years. A young SAF wouldn't fall short. A young SAF in modern settings would be someone closer and better (my bias) than Klopp at Dortmund even.

ETH had a respectable time with Ajax and a very decent first season with us, but he's still not comparable to SAF with evidence being against him about being SAF type of manager (identifying transfer targets). He can't be trusted to purge and rebuild the squad, as well as he can't be trusted with as much time when he chooses to abandon the play style principle that got him the job. He made the problem itself bigger by building the team and playin style around Rashford. If you disregard history, history likely repeat itself (Rashford having a stinker of season).

I love this argument now.
You're angry at money spent - blame the structure. To blame the manager because of poor DoF duties is so outright hilarious its just clutching at more straws than a masturbating strawman. Give over.
I'm just trying to add context to the hypothetical scenario you wrote about Fergie. Does he get the biggest war chest in the history of the football club and appoint people around him to help with the recruitment process to ensure he gets the right players or does he blow it all on Partik Thistle players because he played against them and his management group know the players? If it's the latter he deserves to be sacked also.

In fairness, if you look at his first few pages of posts in this thread, he's calling for an overhaul and saying that he deserves time to flog most of the players off and we need to recruit properly to challenge etc.

Not quite sure why he turned against him to this extent.

Consistently inconsistent. Reactionary. Whatever you want to call him.

As I said, he offers nothing of substance to this discussion, and any pretense that he did has eroded very quickly.

This was after we won the League Cup:

I've never been more certain about us having a manager that will win us a Champions League and a PL double within 5 seasons.

I'm just trying to add context to the hypothetical scenario you wrote about Fergie. Does he get the biggest war chest in the history of the football club and appoint people around him to help with the recruitment process to ensure he gets the right players or does he blow it all on Partik Thistle players because he played against them and his management group know the players? If it's the latter he deserves to be sacked also.
I'm not the one who brought Fergie into the conversation. The two aren't comparable because its different times. I just said Ferguson wouldn't get the same time that he got back then, because the modern game is a lot more impatient today vs 30-40 years ago.

To insinuate Ten Hag should be sacked because the club fecked up on their transfer structure sounds like a gross misevaluation of the problem.

@crossy1686

I deleted the comment because I didn't truly believe what I wrote and I felt it was too hash in hindsight, I also think it didn't add much to the discussion.

I don't need any meaning or substance, we're terrible and haven't beaten a top 8 side away since he arrived. I've consistently said that he sticks to his philosophies and then refuses to adapt in game, which is what I mean when I say he hasn't got a plan or a clue as to what he's doing. Football has progressed past the point of putting a team out with some 'principals' and telling them to do the principals more if they want to win the game. There is no plan beyond that, it's one dimensional and it's terrible management at this level in my opinion.

As I said, he offers nothing of substance to this discussion, and any pretense that he did has eroded very quickly.

That's hilarious.

:lol: So I guess this proves your point I want him sacked for the sake of being right. Here I am congratulating the manager on winning and having us playing well when clearly I want him sacked instead. Why would I be complaining about the manager at that point? What exactly are you trying to prove other than fans are happy when their team is winning and playing well?

Many, many people don’t see this.
Mainly because it's completely and categorically up there with the dumbest things you could ever, ever say. It's saying "we should replace every single player, manager, scout, coach, owner and director and tea lady. And then we will do (?????????) and that will make us win again!"

It's mind blowing idiocy to the point where my own brain feels like it's getting dumber and many word not work anymore You don't get successful by firing an entire companies staff.

Like who? That's the question. I don't see any long-term manager out there who is unlikely to crumble under the pressure of one of the biggest jobs in world football.

If we're not careful we're going to end up sacking our manager without a succession plan in place and end up with another Rangnick type of situation.
Yeah there aren’t many long term options, so if needed pick a short term one which was my original point.

Yeah there aren’t many long term options, so if needed pick a short term one which was my original point.
I've seen enough from the Van Gaal and Mourinho reigns to put me off short term appointments. A short term manager will pick his favourites to sign, and those players will get binned off by the next manager 2 years later. Thus further restricting us FFP-wise.

Why the manager though? How can you feasibly judge his quality if you are also willing to accept the players and the DoF and the CEO are terrible?

Mainly because it's completely and categorically up there with the dumbest things you could ever, ever say. It's saying "we should replace every single player, manager, scout, coach, owner and director and tea lady. And then we will do (?????????) and that will make us win again!"

It's mind blowing idiocy to the point where my own brain feels like it's getting dumber and many word not work anymore You don't get successful by firing an entire companies staff.
Hate to break it to you but there are thousands of employees who work for Manchester United. Moving on a bunch of players for better, more suitable ones isn’t dumb at all. Maybe that could be you?

In football a high turnover of playing staff is not exactly unusual, especially in transition.

His transfers have been appalling and haven't made sense for the progression of the team.

I dont understand why he spent what he did on Onana and Mount this summer. I wont count Casemiro as a hit because he’s not part of the long term picture despite contributions last season.

I think Martinez and Hojlund are his only hits so far. £400m spent now and when you look at the consistency, application, availability and ability of our players we are probably 7 or 8 first team players from being able to field a good enough starting 11. Its horrible we are as far away as ever

I know our malaise as a club has nothing to do with my needs, but I am sick and tired of being laughed at by my colleagues for the idiotic manner in which United has been run since Ferguson retired. We all respect how ten Hag conducts himself personally but it's abundantly evident that it's all falling apart around him -- an immolation that he himself has had a hand in authoring. His transfers, with the exception of Martinez and Hojlund, have bee appalling, and his tactics come nowhere near to maximizing the talent has does have. The one thing you'd have to give him a lot of credit for is how he handled the Ronaldo fiasco.

What's saving him right now is the absence of any realistic alternative the club could bring in to replace Erik right now. The one plausible name is Conte but that's out of the question. Carlo's name has come up in speculation but that's just not realistic.

That's the big question isn't it. The answer probably depends on who is available and willing to join. As others said if you could get someone pragmatic like Emery we would be better off in the short term. Long term we would need to find an emerging talent or proven manager that can get the best out of us. Ancelotti would be fantastic if we could actually get him.
I've seen this a couple of times already - why would Ancelotti be fantastic? He is a great manager to make the last step, pushing a very good team to be the best team in a given year. But why would that be helpful to us? We have next to nothing to build upon. He is experienced though I agree so in theory our primadonnas should have respect for a little longer but I don't think, he is the right manager for us. If we have to bring in another manager because of some stupid decisions in the coming weeks, then it has to be somebody very very strict. Somebody who is happy to get into conflict and who is ready to push every of our "stars" to the Reserves training if the effort isn't right and when instructions aren't followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.