Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they haven’t done anything you mean? Arteta, rightly, should have been sacked and he would have if he didn’t win the FA cup.
From Amazon prime "All or Nothing: Arsenal", Arteta somehow seems earned the unconditional support from Josh Kroenke. A FA cup or not probably would not get him sacked. Josh backed him 100% to write off the value of Ozil, Aba, and basically the entire team from Wenger era.

It doesn’t matter which manager has had the most negativity post Fergie, talks of cults and nonsense like this takes away from the actual issue which is that Ten Hag has taken us backward this season. His signings have been ineffective/poor and we don’t have a consistent style of play implemented. The football structure probably does need updating, but we need a top class football manager like City and Liverpool have, if we had Pep or Klopp we’d be miles better off as much as it pains me to admit it.

Not getting either of them due to a combination of Bayern getting there first with Guardiola and the Toy Story puppet selling us an adult Disneyland to Klopp has ended up setting us back years

Good thing Ten Hag was given the chance to “to mould a new team together with the scouting department and together with the board” like Rangnick says there. It just so happens that his choices were-

Also, curious that Rangnick said you don’t need two, three or four years for the process.

Lastly, for someone that was successful with Ajax, people act like this guy is a proven manager - made of the same caliber at some of the other guys at the top of the game. His CV certainly doesn’t reflect that.
You mean the head scouts that were sacked before he arrived? He's working for a CEO and DoF that don't know if they have a job tomorrow. How do expect them to work well with him?

I absolutely cannot stand the constant hoof ball we play under him. I thought we bought Onana to play from the back but instead he launches the ball 70 percent of the time. We just constantly and needlessly give the ball away every match by kicking the ball long. It makes even less sense when the system has left the DM isolated.

Not sure if I believe a single word from Erik in the press conference. Players back him and we play 2 good games and 1 bad game. I am not sure how he sees the game, it seems different from what I am seeing. Against Everton, Garnacho scores a wonder goal and we struggled most of 1st half. Against Galatasray, we played well but conceded 2 stupid goals due to Onana. Newcastle was a no show once again, I think he needs to show me that his team can beat a 6 top side before talking about right direction. There is currently no fire from his group, no one is fighting for one another unlike last season. You could see that everyone was fighting last season when we defend as a team. This season, players slowly jogging back once the ball is lost, opposition ghosting into the box without anyone tracking. The motivation is no longer there to keep clean sheet, so what is Erik seeing. I don't really know.

So they haven’t done anything you mean? Arteta, rightly, should have been sacked and he would have if he didn’t win the FA cup.

Stevie wonder could see that they needed to get rid of Aba, Ozil, and Pepe. One was in Barcelona on ‘holiday’ all transfer window, the other was too busy posting political tweets about turkey and the last couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo.

All he’s done in recent years is spend a feck tonne of money on the wrong players, like we’ve done every summer, and now he’s a hero? You do realise we’d have leapfrogged arsenal considerably if Ten Hag didn’t sign all his mates from the Dutch league?

Thankfully Arsenal weren’t as shortsighted as you.

I absolutely cannot stand the constant hoof ball we play under him. I thought we bought Onana to play from the back but instead he launches the ball 70 percent of the time. We just constantly and needlessly give the ball away every match by kicking the ball long. It makes even less sense when the system has left the DM isolated.

Our best ball playing CB is injured, which is why we saw Shaw take LCB to try and ease the pressure on Onana. It didn’t work but the injury crisis has not helped ten Hag.

You mean the head scouts that were sacked before he arrived? He's working for a CEO and DoF that don't know if they have a job tomorrow. How do expect them to work well with him?

You think because the head scouts moved on before he joined United, United didn’t have a scouting network or reports on thousands of players?

Transitional organisational period occurs everywhere. Surely you don’t think people stop handling their responsibilities because of impending changes? Nevermind that Ten Hag is on record saying he’s been kept informed of said organisational changes and that they are likely to be a net positive for him as they’ll translate into bigger transfer budget and more resources for the project as a whole

She gets it

:lol: Basically, sack everyone but the manager. As if the manager himself didn't have anything to do with the poor recruitment and poor rebuild strategy. She gets it, alright.

It's pretty telling that we're talking about Arteta once again here. It's never about why ETH is the right man for the job. It's always either "well, who else then?" or "time + hundreds of millions = Arteta".

Our best ball playing CB is injured, which is why we saw Shaw take LCB to try and ease the pressure on Onana. It didn’t work but the injury crisis has not helped ten Hag.
That's true but you have to question why he didn't push to sign another ball playing CB in the summer instead of spending big on Mason Mount.

You think because the head scouts moved on before he joined United, United didn’t have a scouting network or reports on thousands of players?

Transitional organisational period occurs everywhere. Surely you don’t think people stop handling their responsibilities because of impending changes? Nevermind that Ten Hag is on record saying he’s been kept informed of said organisational changes and that they are likely to be a net positive for him as they’ll translate into bigger transfer budget and more resources for the project as a whole
I think you're being purposely obtuse. Refusing to accept the fact that the people above him won't be in a job and how that affects planning. Together with the fact they ripped up their global scouting heads and made a focus more on data analytics and having no idea how that affects the relationship.

:lol: Basically, sack everyone but the manager. As if the manager himself didn't have anything to do with the poor recruitment and poor rebuild strategy. She gets it, alright.

It's pretty telling that we're talking about Arteta once again here. It's never about why ETH is the right man for the job. It's always either "well, who else then?" or "time + hundreds of millions = Arteta".
It's outstanding how you've completely and utterly missed her point.

I feel like this is the first presser where he’s straight up starting to annoy me. He’s either completely delusional or thinks saying this stuff will turn the players around.

excusing our poor performance on 3 games within a week is just so WEAK. Newcastle had to play the exact same 11 three times, making 0 subs against PSG (they all played 90mins!) and with a 17yr old in midfield to boot.

they ran us off the pitch!

This is what happens when you have a ‘principals’ manager. You consistently play the same way, insist on the same principals and then you blame the players when it doesn’t come off because the principals can never be wrong.

Just think about how many world class CB parings would never have saw the light of day if your CB’s had to be one left and one right footer? Not us though, it’s absolutely necessary if we’re going to beat the likes of Luton.

This is common throughout the team. They’re doing ‘principals’ for the sake of it.
I'm learning all about his tactical shortcomings for the first time, that fluffy CM on Saturday was eye opening.

Even if we had four brilliant, Cruyff-turning ball playing defenders to complement Onana's incredible footwork, our woeful finishing would still be a massive problem.

Why we refused to bring in a proven striker in the summer of 2023 will forever be an indictment of the management of Manchester United.

I think you're being purposely obtuse. Refusing to accept the fact that the people above him won't be in a job and how that affects planning. Together with the fact they ripped up their global scouting heads and made a focus more on data analytics and having no idea how that affects the relationship.

I’m not - I just know that organisations don’t stop functioning and people don’t neglect their responsibilities due to impending changes, in fact - that’s a core function of planning.

I think you’re being purposely hysteric and amplifying footnotes into grave problems that somehow disrupt all micro and macro functions of a manager’s job to justify his shortcomings - despite him being on record bullish about it

I feel like this is the first presser where he’s straight up starting to annoy me. He’s either completely delusional or thinks saying this stuff will turn the players around.

excusing our poor performance on 3 games within a week is just so WEAK. Newcastle had to play the exact same 11 three times, making 0 subs against PSG (they all played 90mins!) and with a 17yr old in midfield to boot.

they ran us off the pitch!

He shall have credit not criticising the players. But he really need to find a way of not defending everything all the time.

And banning media will only get you even worse off.

Even if we had four brilliant, Cruyff-turning ball playing defenders to complement Onana's incredible footwork, our woeful finishing would still be a massive problem.

Why we refused to bring in a proven striker in the summer of 2023 will forever be an indictment of the management of Manchester United.

His transfers have been appalling and haven't made sense for the progression of the team.

I dont understand why he spent what he did on Onana and Mount this summer. I wont count Casemiro as a hit because he’s not part of the long term picture despite contributions last season.

I think Martinez and Hojlund are his only hits so far. £400m spent now and when you look at the consistency, application, availability and ability of our players we are probably 7 or 8 first team players from being able to field a good enough starting 11. Its horrible we are as far away as ever

We have sacked every type of manager it's possible to have at this point. Surely you see that for all his faults sacking ETH will result in more of the same?

Genuinely for those that are ETH out, what do you expect with a new manager? Like for this and next season what would the expectations be?

We have sacked every type of manager it's possible to have at this point. Surely you see that for all his faults sacking ETH will result in more of the same?

Genuinely for those that are ETH out, what do you expect with a new manager? Like for this and next season what would the expectations be?
What have all those managers done after we sacked them, could it be we are shit at hiring managers.

His transfers have been appalling and haven't made sense for the progression of the team.

I dont understand why he spent what he did on Onana and Mount this summer. I wont count Casemiro as a hit because he’s not part of the long term picture despite contributions last season.

I think Martinez and Hojlund are his only hits so far. £400m spent now and when you look at the consistency, application, availability and ability of our players we are probably 7 or 8 first team players from being able to field a good enough starting 11. Its horrible we are as far away as ever
I find it very hard to call Hojlund a hit. He has scored no goals in the league so far and is clearly not ready.

What have all those managers done after we sacked them, could it be we are shit at hiring managers.

There has certainly been questionable decision making at the club for many years. Still if we sack him what do we expect? Top 4? Title charge next year?

Are we sure that sacking ETH will change our poor recruitment policy?

Sacking him just seems like the easiest, press the red reset button, we go again, stupid media driven option to me.

You're talking about something completely different here. I think ETH needs to go. But, no one is going to have any success here with this random group of players aquired by multiple random managers. It just doesn't happen at successful sides. Should ETH have done better? Yes. Both of these things are true.
Well, the first part of my post is very much on topic. I get this point, though, that it would be better there was a long turn plan for building a squad, although sometimes there will be need for changing direction. And one should not exaggerate either; it's not so that one player can only function in one system. So, for me it's more about who we actually signed, than who signed them. Some some simply not good enough, whatever system you want to play.

I’m not - I just know that organisations don’t stop functioning and people don’t neglect their responsibilities due to impending changes, in fact - that’s a core function of planning.

I think you’re being purposely hysteric and amplifying footnotes into grave problems that somehow disrupt all micro and macro functions of a manager’s job to justify his shortcomings - despite him being on record bullish about it
You talk about hysteria and then claim that my argument was the organisation stopped functioning?

My point is it would function poorly. And the CEO and DOF having their job under threat together with structural investment overshadowing the club and the sacking of head scouts is not just a footnote :lol:

There has certainly been questionable decision making at the club for many years. Still if we sack him what do we expect? Top 4? Title charge next year?

Sacking him just seems like the easiest, press the red reset button, we go again, stupid media driven option to me.
Why is it media driven? A majority of fans seem to want him gone. Can you tell me one thing he has done this season that suggests we keep him? Managers come through adversity, they improve players, they try things. We are back to a worse version of Ole ball with almost the same players but £400m gone from the bank.

That phenomenal network of scouts whose only alternative to De Jong was bloody Casemiro? It's genuinely like Murtough panicked at having to do something and googled 'who is the best DM'.

One constant in all of this is a scouting team that throughout numerous revamps has consistently turned up with nothing, forcing managers to pick players and then, conveniently, not having the blame on their shoulders for players who didn't work out.

You talk about hysteria and then claim that my argument was the organisation stopped functioning?

My point is it would function poorly. And the CEO and DOF having their job under threat together with structural investment overshadowing the club and the sacking of head scouts is not just a footnote :lol:

There's enough context in my posts to ascertain that my point is that it wouldn't necessarily function poorly - not to the extent that it becomes an explanation or justification for managerial shortcomings. Again, core aspect of planning.

Structural changes and impending departures happen everyday/everywhere. He'll be alright (away from United, hopefully)

One constant in all of this is a scouting team that throughout numerous revamps has consistently turned up with nothing, forcing managers to pick players and then, conveniently, not having the blame on their shoulders for players who didn't work out.

This isn't true by the way.

He really did mess up the recruitment this summer, we are left with mctominay, Mount and amrabat and yet got rid of fred for peanuts who would have contributed more than any of them in midfield

There's enough context in my posts to ascertain that my point is that it wouldn't necessarily function poorly - not to the extent that it becomes an explanation or justification for managerial shortcomings. Again, core aspect of planning.

Structural changes and impending departures happen everyday/everywhere. He'll be alright (away from United, hopefully)
Ten Hag's circumstance of working for a CEO that doesn't know if he has a job tomorrow is categorically NOT something that happens everyday / everywhere. That is a crazy thing to insinuate.

Your insistence on hanging bad transfers solely on ten hag is just weird. If we bought well before him you would definitely have a case. But we bought shit since well before him. There is absolutely nothing to suggest our scouts would be able to suddenly pluck up some good transfers after 7-8 years of doing feck all.

If we sack Ten Hag and hire a good manager we would expect progress, an emerging style of play and if we have a transfer window better signings that target areas of weakness. Sacking Ten Hag will change our recruitment policy as he has input in it. Sacking him is the easiest option, it's (imo) the most sensible one, too. He's built a poor squad and overindulged average players. The new manager needs to come in and make drastic changes that benefit us in the long-term. Sticking with the current manager won't help us becasuse in my eyes we're not building toward anything, we're just coasting through the season.

If we sack Ten Hag and hire a good manager we would expect progress, an emerging style of play and if we have a transfer window better signings that target areas of weakness. Sacking Ten Hag will change our recruitment policy as he has input in it. Sacking him is the easiest option, it's (imo) the most sensible one, too. He's built a poor squad and overindulged average players. The new manager needs to come in and make drastic changes that benefit us in the long-term. Sticking with the current manager won't help us becasuse in my eyes we're not building toward anything, we're just coasting through the season.
Who would you want to replace him?

Why is it media driven? A majority of fans seem to want him gone. Can you tell me one thing he has done this season that suggests we keep him? Managers come through adversity, they improve players, they try things. We are back to a worse version of Ole ball with almost the same players but £400m gone from the bank.

I’m not disputing that a majority of this forum want him gone.

Last year I thought he did well and this year not so much.

You mention reverting back to Ole ball, why do you think that is? And what do you expect to change if we replace ETH?

I really wanted him to succeed but I fear he doesn't see the problem, the Everton and Galatasaray games were not good enough but he's using them as vindication of progress.

Ten Hag's circumstance of working for a CEO that doesn't know if he has a job tomorrow is categorically NOT something that happens everyday / everywhere. That is a crazy thing to insinuate.

At this point I think you're just pulling my leg - fair enough for dragging me into it as long as you did.

Your insistence on hanging bad transfers solely on ten hag is just weird. If we bought well before him you would definitely have a case. But we bought shit since well before him. There is absolutely nothing to suggest our scouts would be able to suddenly pluck up some good transfers after 7-8 years of doing feck all.

Yeah, good thing I haven't done that - I however; do not absolve him of responsibility because of supposed impending organisational changes - as it's been widely reported the club attempted to accommodate his targets (to a detrimental degree even) as it was suggested by the Rangnick quote.

Who would you want to replace him?
That's the big question isn't it. The answer probably depends on who is available and willing to join. As others said if you could get someone pragmatic like Emery we would be better off in the short term. Long term we would need to find an emerging talent or proven manager that can get the best out of us. Ancelotti would be fantastic if we could actually get him.

Thanks for answering, I agree that it is the easiest and therefore the most likely option. A Few more questions:

What do you mean by progress? Finish higher in the table vs last season or win 2 cups vs 1? Or another measure?

Do you think if we had a different manager at the start of the season we wouldn’t have had the same amount of injuries?

Also do you think with a different manager we would have offloaded Maguire and Mctominay in the summer and not be playing them again this season?

At this point I think you're just pulling my leg - fair enough for dragging me into it as long as you did.

Yeah, good thing I haven't done that - I however; do not absolve him of responsibility because of supposed impending organisational changes - as it's been widely reported the club attempted to accommodate his targets (to a detrimental degree even) as it was suggested by the Rangnick quote.
"supposed impending organisational changes". What's supposed about it?

Hes meant to be supported by a network. And by supported I don't mean some clueless guy asking him what he wants. His job is to manage, and he's evidently been given too much freedom. That's not a failure on ten hag, but a failure on the system. Which is what the tweet was all about.

As for pulling your leg, you must be joking yourself by insinuating that structural investment briefs happen all the time /every day :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.