Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dont rate most of our players. I didn't rate them 18 months ago and its for the same reasons they piss me off now. Theres a point of no return for every manager and were reaching that point I guess but i dont think it'll solve any problems or improve anything.

The next man will certainly have one hand tied behind his back unless he's allowed to bin the majority of these players, and we have an actual footballing structure in place, with qualified people overseeing it.

I just dont rate most of our players. I didn't rate them 18 months ago and its for the same reasons they piss me off now. Theres a point of no return for every manager and were reaching that point I guess but i dont think it'll solve any problems or improve anything.
Main issue is that ETH has recruited many of them. We would be top 4 candidates if we had signed a proper RW, striker and no 8. We/ETH didn't. Of course we pay the price.

Please elaborate.

Well he arrived at a club with a transfer department that was dysfunctional in a number of key ways. He tried to compensate by buying players he knew and trusted. But many of those players turned put to be not good enough, being from the farmer's league themselves. For me he's been bad at a part of the job that should not really have been his responsibility. Add to that the mess Ole left behind and the Glazer permanent state of short-termism and it's very difficult.

But within a functioning club it might be a very different story. I have little faith in INEOS but if they were to restructure the club in the right way then who knows. If they do not, it really does not matter who is manager.

Seriously what a pathetic and pointless stat. Talk about looking for any way to post something negative. Rather just focus on our terrible play instead.

"First time EVER that United have been beaten 1-0 by Newcastle at 8pm on a Saturday night, after drawing 3-3 with Galatasary during an early Wednesday CL game :eek: :eek:"

Once Ratcliffe joins, I can see Erik given a boot. Every fans see what is happening on and off the pitch. Erik is bias and stubborn when it comes to playing players. He continues to back players who gives 5-6 rating every game. When did Rashford had a good game? Rashford's form has drop off since the end of last season and he continues to play him. McTominay was dropped to bench and since he score 2 goals, he became undroppable that it is ridiculous. Antony started the season contributing nothing and he continues to play him until recently. Why do we have a manager who is stubborn and bias? With our poor form against top 9 teams, why wouldn't you play counter attacking football with 2 CDM? What is progressive or transitional football? What I see is a team getting embarrassed by any decent team! Any decent team will beat this sorry ass team. Don't tell me that this is progression with this lot. Even if the whole squad is fit today, we will continue struggle. Erik is running out of excuses. It is next to find the next guy.

I'm done with this team, this squad and this manager. They've had a good run of fixtures to build up some sort of form and consistency. Galatasaray I defend them, I thought they deserved better and the keeper threw the game for them. Then last night happened, all them results and the performance in Turkey mean nothing, we're absolutely shit!

Only a handful of players give a shit. To me that's unacceptable given the number of players ETH has brought into the club. He's made a mess even bigger in my opinion. We are now not just a side of overpaid players who couldn't care less, we are also a side of average to crap players. His signings are absolutely rubbish. They've taken us back years as a club and he's built a midtable side.

I think it’s much harder for coaches to implement a proactive style of play when you don’t have players that know how to keep the ball. Shaw and Mainoo are arguably the only players that are good at keeping possession from yesterdays lineup. Compare that to the players ETH had at his disposal in Ajax

I think it’s much harder for coaches to implement a proactive style of play when you don’t have players that know how to keep the ball. Shaw and Mainoo are arguably the only players that are good at keeping possession from yesterdays lineup. Compare that to the players ETH had at his disposal in Ajax
If this is first year, then it's reasonable enough. However, this is second year with plenty of signings. ETH himself picked Rashford, McTominay over his own signings who is supposed to be possession based football players like Antony, Amrabat. Start Shaw in CB position weakens the attacking ability for our left back position, when not long ago Varane was first choice and core players in his best XI, so he could play AWB and Dalot.

If ETH is meant to be he head coach for when everything else is in place, then it's exactly the issue. We need someone who build the foundation, and progress. Not just smash and grab result waiting for everything to fall into places.

The people in the media are really trying to create narrative and profit from it, aren't they? I meant even before this recent defeat, it's well known that we'h been having alarming losing rate this season. They stirred up controversial talking point about our league form in easy run of games against bottom half teams. Now they (rightfully) stick the boot in back in the doom and gloom reality.

The people in the media are really trying to create narrative and profit from it, aren't they? I meant even before this recent defeat, it's well known that we'h been having alarming losing rate this season. They stirred up controversial talking point about our league form in easy run of games against bottom half teams. Now they (rightfully) stick the boot in back in the doom and gloom reality.
To be fair, they were all running stories about us being the most in form team in the league last week so I don't think it really matters as long as our name is in the title.

If you are still unsure of whether Ten Hag can turn this around or not, read this thread so that you can fully grasp his tactical incompetence.

The thread lays out, in granular detail, the issues with Ten Hag’s pressing system.

The biggest red-flag is that Ten Hag still employs the same man-to-man pressing system that caused the 7-0 loss at Anfield (for which he blamed the players!).

We were still somewhat solid defensively last season due to our individuals and the pivot we played. Cas was the best destroyer in the world, Varane has amazing recovery speed, Fred is very mobile. So what does Ten Hag do this season? Benches Varane, sells Fred and then starts using a 4-1-4-1 system that isolated the defensive midfielder and leads whatever DM we play to drop absolute disasterclasses.

As of this post, only Luton and Sheffield United have conceded more shots than United this season. We don’t even create enough chances or score enough to compensate for being so open defensively and Ten Hag has not changed a thing.

There are no excuses, and there isn't a single performance.
My argument for keeping him is based on the simple situation of getting rid of the revolving door on the managers office.

We had to do this when we took on a young manager from Aberdeen with a very similar CV, he was given five years, and turned out to be the greatest manager England and maybe the world has ever seen

A true big club like Real Madrid, Barcelona or FC Bayern would have sacked him by now. But here you have a high proportion of our fanbase saying if we give him time he could be the next Sir Alex :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, Sir Alex himself may have ended up at Arsenal or Liverpool if we gave Ron Atkinson or Dave Sexton more time in the hope they would become the next Sir Matt Busby. Have a think about that one for a moment before you dare to compare the greatest manager of all time to this fraud!

I'm in the out camp since yesterday. I didn't want this to happen. Part of me still wants him to turn it around, no idea why. I just thought we finally had a manager that joined us on an upward curve in his career. Yes it was a relatively low bar from the Dutch league, but watching his Ajax team thump RM in Madrid was wonderful to watch. You can't help but feel somewhat bad for his current predicament. A lot of the players that were signed were not his first choice. The club isn't geared towards winning trophies and a lot of staff are just stealing a living. Employees in crucial positions as well. All circles back to the Glazers of course, and that's why we are a graveyard for players and coaches. Shame it's turning sour so quickly. Takeover needs to happen asap.

I'd say the issue is mainly in the squad, I don't see any manager really doing well with this team. The only one I rate is Hojlund and maybe Fernandes, but the rest is average at best. How can Maguire be starting XI in 2023?

The problem is, ETH is (co)-responsible for signings and most of his signings have been lacklustre at best.This while spending considerable money.

I don't see him turning the ship around. Not everything has been his fault, but ETH won't be the one rebuilding this squad.

Every new manager keeps the players that are good, gets rid off the bad apples and replaces them. Problem with ETH, even the decent / good players don't believe in him anymore, so ETH kicking players will just be received as spiteful / fault - blaming.

The Athletic thrive off of negative United news, nothing new here.

Clueless. We are back to pre-sack Ole with us sitting deep and Maguire hitting the ball to the wing.

Seriously what a pathetic and pointless stat. Talk about looking for any way to post something negative. Rather just focus on our terrible play instead.

Well, people here were posting meaningless stats about how many wins Ten Hag got in his first 50 games in comparison to Klopp and Arteta and some of you were enjoying it despite it meaning feck all, so if people liked such meaningless "positive" stats, why not let others share similar "negative" ones?

as much as I don’t think any manager will succeed here under the current setup, he should be getting more out of the players than he is. And he absolutely should be dropping Rashford.

I'm in the out camp since yesterday. I didn't want this to happen. Part of me still wants him to turn it around, no idea why. I just thought we finally had a manager that joined us on an upward curve in his career. Yes it was a relatively low bar from the Dutch league, but watching his Ajax team thump RM in Madrid was wonderful to watch. You can't help but feel somewhat bad for his current predicament. A lot of the players that were signed were not his first choice. The club isn't geared towards winning trophies and a lot of staff are just stealing a living. Employees in crucial positions as well. All circles back to the Glazers of course, and that's why we are a graveyard for players and coaches. Shame it's turning sour so quickly. Takeover needs to happen asap.
How can a club that spends £400m to support a manager with players he 100% wanted not be geared towards winning trophies? We don't sign almost all the players he brought in unless he's our manager. Antony, Martinez, Malacia, Onana, Mount and Amrabat wouldn't have even been on our radar if it weren't for him.

He should have gone after that Anfield game.
No wonder perfomance sliped after that game. No one was question after that game.

They just don't care.

The one bit of speculation I indulge in is how many of Ten Hag’s buys were his actual first choice and how many times was he nixed by the Glazers In certain pursuits?

I’d speculate further by suggesting the Glazers/Arnold had no intention of paying £120m (or whatever it took to make Levy flinch) for Harry Kane because there‘s no resale value, but I’m inclined to think he was the “experienced” striker Ten Hag wanted.

Rangnick loved to tell the media all our issues but what did he actually do to address them? I don't remember him changing the team all that much and from what I've read the coaching during his tenure was shocking. He's also statistically the worst manager we've had in 50 years.

This part is just a big bullcock. He signed a lot of players as a first choice (Martinez, Antony, Malacia, Onana, Mount) and we still play like crap. Thats on him. Why cant people just accept that Glazer is horrible but ETH is also an incompetent buffoon ?? It doesnt need to be one thing or the other, both can be true in our case. Also Howe with Newcastle and "inferior" players play far better football than this dross so you cant blame Glazers for his horrible tactical displays. Even the Everton game I would say we were dominated tactically by them.

Rangnick loved to tell the media all our issues but what did he actually do to address them? I don't remember him changing the team all that much and from what I've read the coaching during his tenure was shocking. He's also statistically the worst manager we've had in 50 years.

he wasn’t given a proper transfer window was he

:lol:

If INEOS give him the finances to buy a proper goal threat in January, it could change everything. After the bullshit yesterday, I doubt he would ever play Martial again if he didn’t have to.

We’re just so bad to watch there is no certainty to how we will play. We also know we will be sliced through our midfield and we also know no ball will be carried from deep, we know we won’t play the ball through the middle (like newcastle did yesterday). We know we are playing towards the wings most of the time and thats where our attacks die most of the time aswell. We know very much but little is done about it.

If INEOS give him the finances to buy a proper goal threat in January, it could change everything. After the bullshit yesterday, I doubt he would ever play Martial again if he didn’t have to.
A goal threat wouldn’t do anything to this team it’s not like we’re missing chances we can barley play football we got no controll of the ball unless we play bottom teams.

Also the board needs to systematically assess the 2nd seasons. How is it possible we look so good under Jose, Ole and ETH for many games and suddenly it all goes to shit. Why is it that under every manager we seem to have a number of games where players perform and then it all falls apart. Under one it's just something that happens but under 3 different managers it's a trend. Do we honestly have no data scientists examining this? At this point it isn't a coincidence. At some point it isn't that all these managers are so shit, or the players are only capable of 20 games under a manager before they become shit and a new manager is needed to reset the whole thing. Why is it that we can be very good for 20 games and then shite again until a new manager comes in. Any proper club or business would be working their ass off to figure this out.

The biggest one is why do players come here and instantly start under performing. Why is it we buy so many players who instantly turn shite when they come here? This has happened under every manager, so what is the club doing wrong that allows this happen. I worry that no one at the club is analysing this.

In regards to paragraph one I would say there are still several players - Rashford, Mctominay, Martial, Shaw and Lindelof i would name, who have been part of the downing tools process under several managers and whilst being several of our more senior/premier league experienced players, show nothing consistent in terms of form, ability, attitude and injuries. All 5 need to go, along with Varane and Casemiro and any other mercenaries/obvious busts like Sancho and Van de Beek.

on point two, its because there is no structure in place. We have never had a technical director who says ‘we will sign players to play x type of football and a manager to play x type of football or very similar’. An example is Harry Maguire - I think he’s a good defender in a low block and useless in a high line. If that methodology in philosophy and recruitment is in place we never sign him. This is why every new manager we get needs a new squad of players - we never match up managers and players looking at the long run.

I think ETH has not been courageous enough. Personally, I’d be willing to see these results if he bombed off the shite and primadonnas above and played the likes of hannibal, pellestri, mainoo, and I could see a progressive style on the pitch but we needed more recruitment and lacked quality to make the gameplan yield results yet. Just feels like we are back playing Ole ball so he can try and get results we are not getting anyway and its a massive disappointment because he was brought in to get us playing football not kick and rush. Ultimately, sticking with the Rashfords, mctominays and martials of this world will be what gets him sacked

For me, Erik is responsible for everything happening at United. If everyone says that our players suck then it is his job to move them out. Rashford would have offers for PSG last season when he was scoring goals for fun. Anyone in United can be shipped out, everyone can be replaced. I don't see any cohesion from this team, front 3 is not scoring, midfield isn't creating or protecting the back 4 and the defence is leaking goals. What on earth is Erik doing in training? Why mentally weak players are still playing? Why is young players sitting on the bench? I would pick Garnacho, Hoijund, Pellestri as my front 3 and put in Amad once he is fit. I would play Mainoo, Amabrat and Bruno. I know it isn't the best squad but at least we have players trying their best to break into XI instead of a bunch of players that is limited or unmotivated playing week in week out. The state of our football is simply shocking. The lever keeps dropping and soon Erik will be fighting against relegation. We called ourselves one of the biggest clubs in the world, what is a joke considering how we perform since Alex retired.

Well he was an interim manager - what would you expect him to do? He did precisely what was required but our board felt uncomfortable hearing the cold hard truth and let him go. Whilst he hasn't the best management record in football, his analysis was a no-holds barred evaluation of how dysfunctional we are as a club.

How can a club that spends £400m to support a manager with players he 100% wanted not be geared towards winning trophies? We don't sign almost all the players he brought in unless he's our manager. Antony, Martinez, Malacia, Onana, Mount and Amrabat wouldn't have even been on our radar if it weren't for him.

It just looks like he has lost the locker room. And thats the view of a neutral, gooner mate of mine.

The question is whether he can win them back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.