Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is quite literally what they did.

It doesn't hold up.

The starting lineups for City's two games against Real Madrid in the CL semis (the season before Guardiola arrived):

Hart, Sagna, Clichy, Kompany, Otamendi, Fernando, Fernandinho, Navas, Touré, Silva, De Bruyne, and Aguero.

Ferran Soriano joined City in August 2012 and Txiki Begiristain joined in October 2012. They are the ones believed to have helped bring Guardiola to City and 'built' the team for him.

But of the players I listed, Kompany, Clichy, Touré, Silva, Aguero, and Hart were all signed before 2012.

And of the ones signed after Soriano/Begiristain, Sagna, Clichy, Fernando, and Navas were all gone within a year of Guardiola's appointment.

That just leaves Nicolas Otamendi and Kevin De Bruyne.

That is not a squad that had been built for his arrival.

We know ETH phoned up Amrabat early in the summer and told him to sit tight. Hes perma benched as well.

I'm not absolving him of it all. But ultimately the club has form for making odd transfers that are at odds with the current manager, and it's their failing that no clear plan is in place for these signings.

It doesn't hold up.

The starting lineups for City's two games against Real Madrid in the CL semis (the season before Guardiola arrived):

Hart, Sagna, Clichy, Kompany, Otamendi, Fernando, Fernandinho, Navas, Touré, Silva, De Bruyne, and Aguero.

Ferran Soriano joined City in August 2012 and Txiki Begiristain joined in October 2012. They are the ones believed to have helped bring Guardiola to City and 'built' the team for him.

But of the players I listed, Kompany, Clichy, Touré, Silva, Aguero, and Hart were all signed before 2012.

And of the ones signed after Soriano/Begiristain, Sagna, Clichy, Fernando, and Navas were all gone within a year of Guardiola's appointment.

That just leaves Nicolas Otamendi and Kevin De Bruyne.

That is not a squad that had been built for his arrival.

Well having players of the calibre of Kompany, Silva and Aguero certainly helps.

De Bruyne was obviously a massive signing and you've conveniently ignored Sterling and Fernandinho.

A base of Kompany, Silva and Aguero, that is then built on with Fernandinho, De Bruyne and Sterling, before his arrival, plus a bottomless pit of money and the ability to repeatedly sign new players for the same positions after his arrival was extremely helpful.

I'm starting to agree with the manager is great and can do no wrong people.

We can't judge ETH or expect any half decent football until he has been given 5 years and 500m to spend. Only then can we expect more than 1 goal and a few passes to be played against teams like Luton

I'm starting to agree with the manager is great and can do no wrong people.

We can't judge ETH or expect any half decent football until he has been given 5 years and 500m to spend. Only then can we expect more than 1 goal and a few passes to be played against teams like Luton

You mean 500m more right?

£1bn and 5 years is bear minimum to judge a United manager on his ability to set a team up that can convincingly beat Luton and Sheffield United at Old Trafford.

You mean 500m more right?

£1bn and 5 years is bear minimum to judge a United manager on his ability to set a team up that can convincingly beat Luton and Sheffield United at Old Trafford.

Yes 1bn sounds about right.

Oh, and the Glazers need to be gone as they stop him from winning or playing good football

Utter shite.

Easy games are now over and we might be in for a shite Xmas

Another win in which my only feeling is relief we got the points rather than feeling good about the whole thing.

Crap but 3 points.

Another game where we should have won by at least 4-0, again massively let down by all attacking players, but I'm sure people will find a way to blame it on ETH.

Should have been 2-3 up, better performance but the bar is very low that's easily the worst team in the league. The result was significantly the most important element because the upcoming fixtures will be a difficult period.

Much needed win. Decent performance overall.
Can someone explain to me why is Bruno still on set pieces?

I can explain that. It's because no one at the club watches games back or they all lost a bet and Bruno can do whatever he wants.

Hoping he sorts the football during the break. We are winning for now, which is good, but things can quickly go sour with the upcoming fixture list. :nervous:

Another poor performance with a set piece to nil like Copenhagen and Burnley.

i’ll take it but we really are not looking any better and i have concern for the harder fixtures ahead.

There is genuinely no hope there. Anyone wanting to keep him is mad.

Another poor performance with a set piece to nil like Copenhagen and Burnley.

i’ll take it but we really are not looking any better and i have concern for the harder fixtures ahead.
What harder fixtures? We can’t play City etc 5 times a season.
We’re basically losing and winning games every other team bar City are doing at the minute

Glad to see Erik get booked today. He has to be more vocal and put pressure on the referees. We see Klopp running up to officials, screaming in their faces. We see Klopp calling for replays. Putting massive pressure on referees and it works. Being a choirboy hasn't helped us. Even today we could've had penalties for pulling on Maguire. They would've been soft but we've seen them given e.g., in the City game against Hojlund. We need the manager to be making the referees aware they won't get away with making bad decisions.

In terms of his coaching today, had our forwards decided not to dilly dally or blast it straight at the keeper, we win comfortably. It wasn't vintage but at least you could see a clear idea of what we were trying to do.

I can't believe he told Rashford to shoot straight at the keeper, Hojlund to poke it at him from 3 yards out, and Garnacho not to shoot at all while clean through 1v1.

Shocking management.

That was a fairly tragic display. I don't see any life in our football anymore, and that was against the worst team in the league. I will continue to hope he can hang on for Radcliffe to come in, but the signs are just not there. I'm utterly dreading us turning up to Anfield soon.

We're six points off artetas invincible best team in the world, despite playing the full season with half a team and no defence. Stick with it, grind out results and wait for players to come back, and who knows, maybe a new signing in january to give a boost. If liverpool or arsenal or anybody was playing with this level of injuries they'd be happy to just be in contention.

12/15 in last 5 league games. Hopefully shaw comes back soon, I think he adds alot

That felt like a loss. Labouring to a nail biting win against the bottom team. Where's the standards on this forum

Ten Hag's sacking is only a matter of time. I can't watch this dreadful football anymore!!! =(

The long goodbye.

Much better performance. We dominated them in every aspect really apart from a few minutes after our goal.

Doom and gloom.. Looking at the team sheet a few weeks back and today, and then looking at the table!? We are hanging on, and there is no reason for being the manager out knuts our fanbase allways are when hitting a bump.

The style isn’t there yet and there are big concerns with this team, but we have thankfully won 4 in 5 in the league now which we badly needed. If we can get the forwards scoring we will be fine but it’s looking like a big if for him.

A sorry excuse of a manager. Scraping narrow wins at home against the worst teams in the league.

Good luck when the fixtures turn bad after the break.

You might be right, but we've clearly got form for chasing and signing ill-suited players that find themselves almost instantly benched.

Again, because you don't like a player and a manager chooses to bench them doesn't mean the manager didn't initially want him. We may as well say Bruno was a Woodward signing since he didn't play in the Norwegian league since that's how we're going to decipher who was responsible for transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.