Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last 40 games:
Goals Scored: 55
Goals Conceded: 55
perfectly-balanced-thanos.gif

Was a bit disappointed when I saw the lineup and the nonexistence of changes... I predicted an Eriksen injury 5minutes in and there we go. Same goes for Rashford, Bruno Hojlund - I think, it won't take too long to pick something up (exclude Bruno, hes a freak).
Apart from that, I thought we looked like a team with a plan that every player understood and followed. Basic stuff but given the recent performances I think, that is a step in the right direction. Felt, 2nd half we lost our line to a degree and chances goal and defence became a bit scrappy but there you go.

I log in here and not disapointed at all. The usual suspects are moaning that we should sack the manager despite us being only 6 points of Arsenal.

Apparently missing half of your team due to injuries and having to start your 4th and 5th choice CBs as well as your 3rd choice RB doesn't mean anything anymore.

And in spite of that we could have easily had at least 3 goals today if Hojlund and Garnacho had some composure about them.

Our football is slowly improving, we are looking more and more fluid, but there yet. Which is quiet a feat considering our injuries.

The only gripe I have with today's matches is Rashford and Bruno get to play for the entire 90, despite being shite again.

Also the fact that Hannibal and Mainoo didn't get any minutes either, but I imagine ETH doesn't want to risk it when the game is this close.

All in all happy with the 3 points. Now only 5 off Spurs and 6 off Arsenal which is mental considering the doom and gloom on here.

Not a reason to play him as the deepest midfielder now though.

Not with Amrabat and Mainoo on the bench.
Amrabat hasn’t shown much either to be fair. I think ETH sees Mctominay as another goal threat. He’s obviously not what we need in the midfield though.

Yep, clearly been spending all week on shooting drills for Lindelof, and they paid off. :drool:

Just have to focus on everything else now and we should be good after the break :D

We haven't beaten a team by more than one goal in the league now in almost 6 months. If not Luton at home, hard to know when.

He should have complained against Arsenal, Tottenham, CP and ManCity. Called them out. I don’t buy it today. But atleast he is not afraid anymore.

How do you manage to blame this "only 1 goal" victory on ETH is truly beyond me.
Awful posts, truly.
Maybe you should ask questions about the score in Rashford/Garnacho/Hojlund threads.

Jesus, even LVG's second season had more goals scored after 12 games than us right now (16 goals to 13)

As i said, i'm happy the win has relieved the pressure but something drastically has to change with the attack, be it that certain strikers start scoring again or we bring in someone in January who can take the pressure off Hojlund. It feels so unsustainable and I don't want EtH to get the sack but we're just struggling through at the moment.

Your missing we’ve scored half the number of PL goals that the other top 7 in the top 8 have scored 13 PL goals from 12 games, he needs to go and let someone have a chance with this shower of a squad, too many players don’t live up to the hyperbole billing. This team has regressed and we desperately need a number 9, Hojlund a great prospect but misses like today prove that he’s misfiring badly in the PL.

United need two truly elite attackers, two elite midfielders and two Elite Defenders, all this after ETH spent £400m.

I disagree.

He showed enough last season with some consistency. He's still playing a team that mostly isn't his. Onana has settled now, Martinez is excellent, Casemiro made sense last season but we overpaid. The other 'starters' mount, antony, hojlund, the jury is out but i wouldnt write off any at all.

A piss easy run against some of the worst teams in the league in which we barely scrapped wins against everyone of them and Ten Hag fans are back in full force.
Spurs scraped by Sheff United, so did City. 10 man Fulham got a draw at the Emirates, Luton should have beaten Liverpool last week, Fulham drew with Brighton last week (?)
But I get it, United should be playing City and Arsenal 38 games a season since it’s obviously so easy to almost win every game v non top 5 teams.
Takes the guess work out of it
Nobody is more miserable after a United win than el3mel and it’s hilarious at this point

Another game where we should have won by at least 4-0, again massively let down by all attacking players, but I'm sure people will find a way to blame it on ETH.
He picks the players, right? And he keeps picking the same players that are letting him down. Rashford especially will be the hill that ETH dies on.

I think we won't look solid until Shaw and Martinez are back

Solid? That wasn't our issue today. Luton barely threatened.

In today's game it was all about breaking a lower team down. In the final third, outside of a Maguire switch out wide or Bruno direct pass, there was no attempt at penetrating Luton's defensive wall. We hardly got behind them and most of, if not almost all our chances came from crosses coming from the byline. We barely had touches in the opposition box. I don't care if the style of play is tika taka, wing play, gegenpress or whatever style, to win games consistently, you need to create chances. We couldn't break them down, not because Luton are special defensively, but simply because we can't break anyone down. We rely on mistakes, set pieces, individual brilliance from Bruno, Rashford or Hojlund. This doesn't put our attacking and creative players in good positions to actually score. There is a tactical problem there. It could be speed of play, movement, not enough dribbling, not enough risk taking or us not being direct enough. However, its quite clear, creatively, something is lacking. I can't look at Bruno or Mount and say its them either.

We must have the worst forward line in the league for goals and assists

Could've easily 3-5-0 games but same set of attackers get the team down again.
"BUT Manager picks the players!!!" if you're so good then pick it then. Literally no one is left, unless you want to play Sancho.

Jesus, even LVG's second season had more goals scored after 12 games than us right now (16 goals to 13)

As i said, i'm happy the win has relieved the pressure but something drastically has to change with the attack, be it that certain strikers start scoring again or we bring in someone in January who can take the pressure off Hojlund. It feels so unsustainable and I don't want EtH to get the sack but we're just struggling through at the moment.
The problem with that season is that he started ok, but around Christmas is when he completely went off the rails. All them 0-0 with 1 or no shots on target and 85% of the match we did sideways passing. Good times, and yet some people tell us that the 4-3 thrillers or 1-0 wins are even worse.

I know, it’s almost like he has no control over what players do in training all week!

He's missing the point that we played Luton and these are all the chances we created. Watch Arsenal, Saka, Martinelli and Jesus miss these type of chances all the time. However, since they keep attack, they create enough chances to eventually make it count.

Yeah we've arrived at the LVG days again. We're at the point where if we don't score first we'll lose and we don't look like scoring for most of the game. At least with LVG we drew games though, now we just lose and ship loads of goals.
yeah, definitely. At least the attacking dullness was matched by solidity in defence. This defence is so unpredictable. I hate to keep blathering on about it but the 7-0 shouldn't ever happen, it points to something fundamental that's gone wrong and was masked by the positives.

Spurs scraped by Sheff United, so did City. 10 man Fulham got a draw at the Emirates, Luton should have beaten Liverpool last week, Fulham drew with Brighton last week (?)
But I get it, United should be playing City and Arsenal 38 games a season since it’s obviously so easy to almost win every game v non top 5 teams.

Fulham, Sheffield, Luton, Burnley and Nottingham occupy the spots between 15th to 20th. 3 of these will definitely get relegated this year yet you're trying to convince us it's a great job we scrapped wins by one goal against all of them.

Having a one off difficult game against a bad opposition is different from continuously barely managing to win playing relegation fodders every week. It's why we end up getting exposed playing any semi decent team.

I have no issue with your delusional nonsense but at least don't force it on us. Be relieved we get the points tonight but don't act like what we did in such run was extraordinary. This is Manchester freaking United.

Could've easily 3-5-0 games but same set of attackers get the team down again.
"BUT Manager picks the players!!!" if you're so good then pick it then. Literally no one is left, unless you want to play Sancho.
50m on Mount, 80m on Antony.

I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have had a problem finding a quality striker for 130m.

Solid? That wasn't our issue today. Luton barely threatened.

In today's game it was all about breaking a lower team down. In the final third, outside of a Maguire switch out wide or Bruno direct pass, there was no attempt at penetrating Luton's defensive wall. We hardly got behind them and most of, if not almost all our chances came from crosses coming from the byline. We barely had touches in the opposition box. I don't care if the style of play is tika taka, wing play, gegenpress or whatever style, to win games consistently, you need to create chances. We couldn't break them down, not because Luton are special defensively, but simply because we can't break anyone down. We rely on mistakes, set pieces, individual brilliance from Bruno, Rashford or Hojlund. This doesn't put our attacking and creative players in good positions to actually score. There is a tactical problem there. It could be speed of play, movement, not enough dribbling, not enough risk taking or us not being direct enough. However, its quite clear, creatively, something is lacking. I can't look at Bruno or Mount and say its them either.
Bingo. My biggest issue today was the lack of patterns of play, and general pass and move despite having the lion's share of possession. It feels like most of our chances were created by chaotic football in the first half, ie a quick counter and cross from Rashy on the right that Hojlund shot straight at the keeper. When we do have the ball, we ping it around LVG style.

The usual suspects are moaning that we should sack the manager despite us being only 6 points of Arsenal.
Being six points off Arsenal with less than a third of the season played isn't good. You'd be 19 points adrift by the end of the season if you carry on like that.

He's missing the point that we played Luton and these are all the chances we created. Watch Arsenal, Saka, Martinelli and Jesus miss these type of chances all the time. However, since they keep attack, they create enough chances to eventually make it count.

That, and decisions are a key part of coaching. The attack is so disorganized and players are constantly making the wrong decisions.

Nobody is more miserable after a United win than el3mel and it’s hilarious at this point
He is a weird one that one.

He was lecturing me the other day about how he supports United over the manager, and yet when we win every time all he does is moan, bitch and complain.

He was also lecturing me on how the reason he hates ETH is because we have not an attacking side and have no attacking play patterns, and yet he wanted Conte here. And when I bring his hypocrisy to his face, I'm shifting goal posts. You can't make it up. :lol:

What harder fixtures? We can’t play City etc 5 times a season.
We’re basically losing and winning games every other team bar City are doing at the minute

yeah true. I think easy maximum points for us against newcastle, bayern and liverpool

Fulham, Sheffield, Luton, Burnley and Nottingham occupy the spots between 15th to 20th. 3 of these will get relegated this year you're trying to convince us it's a great job we scrapped wins by one goal against all of them.

Having a one off difficult game is different from continuously barely managing to win playing relegation fodders every week.

I have no issue with your delusional nonsense but at least don't force it on us. Be relieved we get the points tonight but don't act like what we did in such run was extraordinary. This is Manchester freaking United.
I’m just telling you that consistently beating them and beating them well does not happen in this league. You can if and but all you want with crying about the manager since wins doesn’t suit your argument but it is what it is. I just watched Forest beat Villa a week after this forum had a thread of will Villa finish above us?! Maybe go back to watch highlights of the early 2000 EPL if you want that, that’s not Ten Hag or any top manager in the EPL fault.
Wait until Brentford does Liverpool and holds them to a scrappy draw / really narrow Liverpool win tomorrow but you won’t be anywhere to be seen because it’s yet another example against your argument but you’ll be straight on here in a fortnight pissing and moaning when it’s Everton 0 - 1 Utd (Reguillon 90)

He is a weird one that one.

He was lecturing me the other day about how he supports United over the manager, and yet when we win every time all he does is moan, bitch and complain.

He was also lecturing me on how the reason he hates ETH is because we have not an attacking side and have no attacking play patterns, and yet he wanted Conte here. And when I bring his hypocrisy to his face, I'm shifting goal posts. You can't make it up. :lol:

I see you're persistent on turning it personal, even though I don't care about you or your posts. Weird obsession. Imagine being obsessed by someone you don't even know what his name is on internet forum.

Being six points off Arsenal with less than a third of the season played isn't good. You'd be 19 points adrift by the end of the season if you carry on like that.
Exactly. It doesn't matter where we are in the league for me. The whole point now isn't getting into the top 4. It's seeing if the manager is good enough to take us forward. I could care less if we're only 6 points behind Spurs or Arsenal. They play far better than we do. They create chances each game. They go into games expecting to beat teams like Luton comprehensively, particularly at home. Arsenal can legitmitately go into a game with any top team in the Champions League and believe they can win. I'm not even sure we're going to beat Galatasaray in a must win game. We're not winning the league this season unless some immediate miracle happens, so nothing else matters except ensuring we are actually heading in the right direction on the pitch.

It's almost certain what's gonna happen in the next few games. We massively struggle against the weakest team we could possibly face. I'm not gonna delude myself into thinking that this is a temp issue, because the football has been horrible for a long time. Even last season we were efficient but never great.

You don't have almost everyone playing below their level and not look at the manager. Dead man walking.

There’s been an upturn lately tbf. We’re top of the form table going off the last 5 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.