Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is baffling where we currently sit in the table for how awful we’ve looked all season.

We've been lucky in how our poor performances have distributed in terms of points. Only wins and losses, no draws.

Don't understand the criticism towards his in game management today. Thought he made the right substitutions at the right time and red the game well. Fulham were at bay, they only real danger was the 2 shots in 1 minute that Onana had to save (ironically, Onana is getting criticism on this forum for those saves, for Christ's sake.)

We played awfully, but we got away win against tough team. There is improvement to the god awful performance against Newcastle, hope we can keep this up.

We need Shaw BADLY, Dalot is so terrible. AWB on the right even on dodgy form made difference immediately today.

Mate, I get you've moved on to sack the manager mode but that wasn't some moment of brilliance, it was a heavily pressed opponent coughing the ball up to a wide open midfielder at the top of the box.

If he'd scored a long shot or dribbled through 3-5 defenders I'd agree that it's not something you can count on but that's exactly the kind of scoring opportunity the team is looking to create with a high press, it's textbook.

I don't even really know what your point is. Even if we accept that the goal came about as part of the tactics, that's still not nearly enough. That was pretty much our only half chance in the game, wasn't it? We've scored two goals in the last four games. Thats' dreadful. We need to be creating chances in many other ways than that.

Bottom line, do you come away from this game feeling better or worse about ETH's ability to set up a team and implement tactics? Because for me it's definitely worse.

Another outstanding and hard fought win by players fully behind their manager despite being decimated by further injuries.

So glad to see so many of you backing the manager and players in these trying times like true fans.

It’s a worrying state of affairs to know that last minute goal will have annoyed some of you on here.

My advice is this. Life is really ridiculously short, too short to be so mad about something like football so enjoy the plucky United win and have a lovely weekend everyone.

You being miserable won’t improve anything about the club, the players, the manager the structure anything and it’s probably affecting your personal life and relationships in real life.

So try and enjoy this for what it is. A win, 3 points and enough to tide us over until everyone is back fit.

Don't understand the criticism towards his in game management today. Thought he made the right substitutions at the right time and red the game well. Fulham were at bay, they only real danger was the 2 shots in 1 minute that Onana had to save (ironically, Onana is getting criticism on this forum for those saves, for Christ's sake.)

We played awfully, but we got away win against tough team. There is improvement to the god awful performance against Newcastle, hope we can keep this up.

We need Shaw BADLY, Dalot is so terrible. AWB on the right even on dodgy form made difference immediately today.
You agreed Antony deserved 63 mins ?????

You agreed Antony deserved 63 mins ?????

After the awful first half he clearly had a chance to improve. He didn't take it and was rightfully subbed off.
100% he won't be starting in Denmark.

Another outstanding and hard fought win by players fully behind their manager despite being decimated by further injuries.

So glad to see so many of you backing the manager and players in these trying times like true fans.

It’s a worrying state of affairs to know that last minute goal will have annoyed some of you on here.

My advice is this. Life is really ridiculously short, too short to be so mad about something like football so enjoy the plucky United win and have a lovely weekend everyone.

You being miserable won’t improve anything about the club, the players, the manager the structure anything and it’s probably affecting your personal life and relationships in real life.

So try and enjoy this for what it is. A win, 3 points and enough to tide us over until everyone is back fit.

Blind faith won't improve anything either.

Mate, I get you've moved on to sack the manager mode but that wasn't some moment of brilliance, it was a heavily pressed opponent coughing the ball up to a wide open midfielder at the top of the box.

If he'd scored a long shot or dribbled through 3-5 defenders I'd agree that it's not something you can count on but that's exactly the kind of scoring opportunity the team is looking to create with a high press, it's textbook.
@RedOrange youre not seriously suggesting that a high pressing side is designed to create defensive errors in areas high up the pitch and therefore closer to goal so that you can have these kind of moments? Do you know what thread you’re in? Don’t come here with logic about how the coaching style actively contributes to those moments occurring.

It must be just sheer dumb luck and magic pixie dust and everyone should be sold and sacked because none of them want to play football.

But it’s been there for 18 months. Even if we say we won’t improve, we still are winning these games and winning them every week.
The same way we can’t get that bit of quality every week evens out with the shit luck we get with VAR every week as well
We have Luton and Everton in our next 2 games, would it shock anybody if we do reach 6 wins out of 7 or whatever it is?
I just had a look at the fixture list, we should win the next 2. Then we will lose v Newcastle and Bayern, we’ll beat Bournemouth at home and lose at Anfield. Then it’s another streaky fixture list that we should do ok in and that’s how we get our points.
It’s painfully predictable
Look how people have turned on Rashford not being able to maintain the output that literally carried the team; look how the team is playing now that Rashford is out of sorts. The two are mutually exclusive, and it's not for the first time - we're cycling through star performers who cannot maintain the level that has earned them plaudits because it's all maverick stuff that gives them no time for a breather, or recovery or even affords them dips in form.

Out greatest teams bailed one another out so we barely noticed when a player was going through a rough patch - he was rarely left to go through it alone; others would pick up the baton and that player would have his own time to reflect and get back in the campaign. We have not a single iota of that now, which is why players start high and it's a sliding scale and a very, very lonely place when the magic deserts them.

Those 18 months you refer to is us cycling through: Varane, Casemiro, Bruno, Rashford, Eriksen, Shaw, Martinez and whoever else contributed, and that was in a better system than we're playing this term. We don't have the players under these players to run with the burden of constantly producing individual moments that bail an entire team out or mask horrendous perfomances.

Win, lose or draw, every single game we're playing is a slog - we've had one win at a canter the entire season, and that was a league cup match, that's a cumulative fatiguing issue just waiting to have it's time in the sun.

I can't look at fixtures as gimmes at all anymore - I expect us to make a real quagmire of a game against both Luton and Everton, and the remainder, you're doing much better than me to be positive about.

Unless we instill a functional system, and ten Hag massively improves himself, I expect this season to fizzle out with our players being spent well before April.

I could say exactly the same thing and say life is too short to accept being so mediocre and we should demand much more than being happy with a lucky win against Fulham while our neighbours win title after title and now trebles. Life is too short to accept these awful standards.

It's another below par performance so nothing new regarding that but a huge win for ten Hag. I think if we can beat Kopenhagen and Luton before the international break and then follow it with decent results over late November and December when another few players should be back like Shaw (also Martinez?) then there's still possibility to have a decent season, though I think it's really unlikely we'll finish in top 4 and do something significant in Champions League, even if we manage to pass the group.

He desperately desperately needs Martinez and Shaw back, our first phase build up is sorely lacking, they’re a huge part of it. And I think Mainoo should be given a chance in midfield, he’s probably our most press resistant and composed deep lying midfielder (sad state of affairs)

It can’t be said enough how much we’re missing Shaw and Martinez. They are vital in our build up and provided stability last season. Rashford clearly missing Shaw as well.

Ten Hag’s downfall will be failing to play young and hungry players like Mainoo, Hannibal, Pellistri and Garnacho.

I could say exactly the same thing and say life is too short to accept being so mediocre and we should demand much more than being happy with a lucky win against Fulham while our neighbours win title after title and now trebles. Life is too short to accept these awful standards.
Take stock of your life right now and consider the impact that United is having on it. If it’s that bad genuinely seek support to reach a point where it is an aspect of your life but not a controlling one that dictates your mood.

I’m delighted by a last minute winner in a hard fought game.

We're not going to magically become some free flowing team this season. It's all about staying solid and nicking as many points as we can.

Hopefully we can improve the flow and style for next season, but I would say this will be the standard of our football for this year and we should be prepared.
Yeah that’s reserved for us last season and Tottenham this season. This season we should focus on survival and be more like Luton.

Take stock of your life right now and consider the impact that United is having on it. If it’s that bad genuinely seek support to reach a point where it is an aspect of your life but not a controlling one that dictates your mood.

I’m delighted by a last minute winner in a hard fought game.
Don’t presume to think it affects anything other than my interest in the club and football in general, but we get nowhere with your passive way of approaching it. Standards. Always.

A bitter little egomaniac sidelining Rashford just because he got the whole season wrong and then lying its because of Injury. He should get sacked
To be fair, I don’t think he did. That happened after the City game and he played in the CL game right after and surely the manager already knew at that point.

It is baffling where we currently sit in the table for how awful we’ve looked all season.
I think you should look at the table from the Storey perspective. That table we used to have bumped on here every season was much more reflective of actual positions as it accounted for the quality of the opponents played and gave perspective that these raw numbers can't, given we've not entered our dreadful run of games yet, whilst others around and above us, have.

After the awful first half he clearly had a chance to improve. He didn't take it and was rightfully subbed off.
100% he won't be starting in Denmark.

I wouldn’t take that bet. ETH has not shown that he’ll bench his favorites, regardless of form.

I still can’t imagine what tactical advantage he’s finding that excuses Evans over Varane.

They finished second the season before. Lost only 3 games and missed out by one point. They were just seeing their young players come through who were going to turn out to be top class players and far, far too good for Eredivisie. Think they missed out on the League by 1 point in that season and also reached the EL Final, where they lost to us.

They were already way on the up before he arrived, dominating possession must games. I had a look through a handful of games and they were having around 70% possession in the league. They had that part nailed down.
For the record, I disagree with the post you quoted and think he did a good job at Ajax, but why do we need to rewrite history?

They finished 2nd, a mere point behind champions Feyenoord and got to Europa League final (with the youngest team to ever make it there, by some distance) the season before.

They weren’t struggling, he didn’t join a team that was doing ‘poorly’ and completely changed their fortunes. He took over a team that was doing well, was very young and clearly on upwards trajectory and helped them take the next step.
I suppose this is an old point by now; but yes, they did well under Peter Bosz the season before - who is also clearly a good manager (good, not great). But then Bosz left for Dortmund and was succeeded by Marcel Keizer, who got Ajax kicked out of the CL play-offs by Nice and subsequently also out of the Europa League play-offs by Rosenborg, got them out of the Dutch cup in the fall, and generally in poor form in the league. So when Keizer was fired in December and Ten Hag took over, Ajax was not at all in a great position - although you'd be right to say that the foundations had clearly been there under Bosz.

I'll admit that I thought the gap between Bosz and Ten Hag had been longer though - not just half a season. On another point, I'm not sure about the upwards trajectory point. Since the Bosman ruling, Ajax is almost always on the up and down simultaneously: promising prospects coming through that might together form a great team - and then get bought away gradually so that this specific great team never materializes; but with some luck (some players staying a little longer, clever acquisitions, and a good coach) a good team might appear anyway. So the point about an Ajax team being promising is always a little shaky in the 2000s. I mean, even Ten Hag had to work with very different squads (apart from some key mainstays) during his just four seasons at Ajax.

(I notice it seems like I'm defending Ten Hag all the time. That's not my point, but I suppose it might come across that way.)

Last edited:
Don’t presume to think it affects anything other than my interest in the club and football in general, but we get nowhere with your passive way of approaching it. Standards. Always.
Based on your posting history I’d say it’s a reasonable assumption that United are negatively affecting your mood regardless of results.

I’m not passive in the slightest I’m proactively trying to get people to understand the context of our performances and how having a consistent dour attitude won’t change anything any more than my positive one will but I know which one is healthier.

Yeah that’s reserved for us last season and Tottenham this season. This season we should focus on survival and be more like Luton.

It's shite but if we have to do it to get results, we have to do it. We've lost too many points already to carry on with wild experimentation with playing styles.

If ETH can't even get us to stay solid, then he should go. It's the most basic thing to coach. Even Fat Sam can do it.

I wouldn’t take that bet. ETH has not shown that he’ll bench his favorites, regardless of form.

I still can’t imagine what tactical advantage he’s finding that excuses Evans over Varane.

Evans has been solid when he had to play. Varane has been god awful for a few games this season. Maybe he's still recovering from the injury. Don't know.

But if he doesn't put Antony on the bench, it will be baffling.

Based on your posting history I’d say it’s a reasonable assumption that United are negatively affecting your mood regardless of results.

I’m not passive in the slightest I’m proactively trying to get people to understand the context of our performances and how having a consistent dour attitude won’t change anything any more than my positive one will but I know which one is healthier.
My posting history or general negativity has zero impact outside of my interest in Utd believe me, I have a great life. I do not accept our current position though and will not. Just how I’m built.

It's shite but if we have to do it to get results, we have to do it. We've lost too many points already to carry on with wild experimentation with playing styles.

If ETH can't even get us to stay solid, then he should go. It's the most basic thing to coach. Even Fat Sam can do it.
That’s the thing, he isn’t experimenting. He’s not coaching anything technical and he’s leaving lots of things to the players to work out on the pitch. When it doesn’t work his solution is to make a sub, then we get what we saw today and somebody forces the issue with indivisible effort, the same stuff Ole got smashed for.

I worry about us staying solid because we’re going to man to man in the midfield which makes them easy to bypass and puts loads of pressure on the defence, and then the midfield to get back and help out.

ETH out gang seriously pissed at the last minute goal, you can taste the tears :D

Fully agree here.
Tbh we had much more intensity off the ball today in large parts. Eriksen ran out of steam as usual but that’s him now. Injuries are clearly not helping.

That’s the thing, he isn’t experimenting. He’s not coaching anything technical and he’s leaving lots of things to the players to work out on the pitch. When it doesn’t work his solution is to make a sub, then we get what we saw today and somebody forces the issue with indivisible effort, the same stuff Ole got smashed for.

I worry about us staying solid because we’re going to man to man in the midfield which makes them easy to bypass and puts loads of pressure on the defence, and then the midfield to get back and help out.

I agree that we brought him in not to play Ole ball. We have bigger ambitions and we should still hold him responsible for transitioning out of Ole ball. If we wanted Ole ball, we should just re-hire Ole.

However, for now, let's manage the crisis and get a good run of points under our belt. When we get the confidence back, we can try a different style again.

Even if we do well this month, December is really tricky. Newcastle away, Chelsea at home, Liverpool away, West Ham away, Villa at home.. If performances don't improve until then we'll hardly win any of those games.

I agree that we brought him in not to play Ole ball. We have bigger ambitions and we should still hold him responsible for transitioning out of Ole ball. If we wanted Ole ball, we should just re-hire Ole.

However, for now, let's manage the crisis and get a good run of points under our belt. When we get the confidence back, we can try a different style again.
The problem is mate, the crisis started last year around April when we started getting injuries, that’s now followed us right into this season, and by all accounts it was self inflicted for picking the same 11 players 3 times a week in competitions we shouldn’t have been even trying to win with the strongest 11. So now we’ve got ourselves in a position where we have to play players Ten Hag basically shit on last season and wanted gone and there’s no actual coaching going on until the first 11 come back and we can start working on shape again.

Ultimately this is going to get him sacked unless he starts treating everyone with respect and giving them the same amount of attention and patience he shows Antony. Things might start to improve at that point and he might get out of this self inflicted hole.

ETH out gang seriously pissed at the last minute goal, you can taste the tears :D
This is such a strange take on things. Everyone wants us to win, but it was still a badly coached game and we should aim higher than scrape a win against bloody Fulham. The way our managers are being treated like they're demi-gods and untouchable is mindboggling.

The problem is mate, the crisis started last year around April when we started getting injuries, that’s now followed us right into this season, and by all accounts it was self inflicted for picking the same 11 players 3 times a week in competitions we shouldn’t have been even trying to win with the strongest 11. So now we’ve got ourselves in a position where we have to play players Ten Hag basically shit on last season and wanted gone and there’s no actual coaching going on until the first 11 come back and we can start working on shape again.

Ultimately this is going to get him sacked unless he starts treating everyone with respect and giving them the same amount of attention and patience he shows Antony. Things might start to improve at that point and he might get out of this self inflicted hole.

It's was a mess of a preseason, and the result of that is that we didn't develop from the good parts of last year. I don't think it was up to standard and I hold ten Hag responsible for that. It's his job to make sure the players were prepared going into the new season.

For me right now, if we can learn to be solid enough defensively, even with lots of 0-1 shitty wins, it's a start.

I only hope that preseason next year will be better and we can kick on. Assuming of course, ten Hag is still there at that time. If I were him, I'd hold the entire preseason in Manchester and tell the commercial team to feck off. We need one good and proper training camp, not a worldwide fan tour.

Bang on. Bunch of miserable fecks. Utd won be happy for a few minutes.

I was just at a game where my team lost by 8 goals on sopping wet pitch in the pissing rain and I got sent off from the touchline. I was going to the Arsene Wenger stand. But they only had a portaloo as a high point, wasn't standing up there.

Now I just realised, I'll have to pay a fine and maybe get a touchline ban. And my iptv won't work. A fecking awful Sat until I saw the result.

Seeing Utd had won 1-0, cheered me up anyway. Probably because I didn't have to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.