Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He tried to play Mount at left with Rashford center at the beginning of the season and it doesn’t work. Now, he can try the same with Hojlund in center by dropping Rashford. Will it work?

Seems pretty straightforward to block them just on money grounds, unless they can't themselves provide any better alternatives.

Or ETH wanted them so much they went out and paid top $.

Who knows?

But either way, Anthony isnt good enough to be a Premier League player, so a valuation of $30mil, $60mil or $90mil would have been too much.

I haven't seen any of the game, but it sounds true to form. ETH is struggling and his post-game comments will not help

"When you can't handle the pressure, don't play here"

It's Mourinho all over again. ETH is up against it now.

,"

I agree.

But if the form and performances do not improve, something has to give.

You cant give him another couple of transfer windows to fix it if there are no real signs of life.
Honestly? At this point I’d rather bin off the players that didn’t buy in. You have to draw a line in the sand at some point and just get behind a manager.

Two goals (offside goal included) came from cutbacks and the only player doing it is Garnacho. Other attackers just force hollywood dribbles or aimless shots
someone needs to take the clue

Hopefully he learns this season that he shouldn't get too attached to any player in this team. None are good enough to be invincible and I think he's slowly realising as he's subbed Rashford and Casemiro, two things he has been totally unwilling to do since he joined.

He also shouldn't get too attached to any idea. If he has to drop Onana, Mount, Bruno or whoever he has to do it. None are beyond undroppable status and there are players on the bench especially the youngsters hungry to make a difference.

I wish he’d just go full possession for a game to see how it works.
Garnacho - Martial - Antony
——————Mount —————-
———Eriksen - Amrabat ——

Or ETH wanted them so much they went out and paid top $.

Who knows?

But either way, Anthony isnt good enough to be a Premier League player, so a valuation of $30mil, $60mil or $90mil would have been too much.
I'm not sure how your account is any different. It's still pretty easy to say "he's 90m, so no".

Hes not up to the expectation but this bold statement is nonsense.

I think he's around the level of De Zerbi. He had a great structure at Ajax and they built him a team based on their philosophy. He's hopeless at signings because I remember some disgruntled Ajax fans pointing out how useless his own signings were that he brought with him from Utretcht.

One of the biggest worries with Ten Hag is that he seems to prefer signing players he's already worked with. It feels like he doesn't back himself to get his ideas over to new players. It's the kind of thing that I'd expect from Harry Redknapp or Frank Lampard.

I think I'm right in saying that Pep Guardiola or Jurgen Klopp haven't signed a single player that they previously worked with.

One of the biggest worries with Ten Hag is that he seems to prefer signing players he's already worked with. It feels like he doesn't back himself to get his ideas over to new players. It's the kind of thing that I'd expect from Harry Redknapp or Frank Lampard.

I think I'm right in saying that Pep Guardiola or Jurgen Klopp haven't signed a single player that they previously worked with.
Afaik he didn't do that at Ajax or Utrecht either. Seems to be specific to United for him and probably is related to the weak DoF/scouting United has.

I always thought if Antony or Mount had a great season we’d do well. Our striker is capable so I just think that’s the case. Unfortunately right now those 2 don’t look like doing much. Course we have plenty of other issues but any great working combo like that would carry and mask a lot until they came good.

I think we will finish from 8-10 in the EPL, I don't really know what am I watching these days. The football is utterly bad, I guess teams would be happy to play United every weeks. Rashford is a counter attacking player, he doesn't have the ability to break teams down and actually slows down the play when he has possession. Antony is just a very poor RW, he won't start if he is in Liverpool, City or Arsenal. It is mind boggling that we paid over 80 million for 3rd tier winger. Lastly, Bruno and Mount isn't working and Casemiro is on a decline. We will probably be easily beaten by City and Liverpool in the coming weeks. There will be no hiding for ETH and these players. The biggest problem ETH has, he wasted the fund made available for him. He probably get 100 million per season and it is not enough to undo his mistake in signings. United won't get better under Glazers unless new owners comes in. The only thing that he can do, make sure Garnacho, Amad, Mainoo, Hannibal continue to improve to eventually replace these underperforming millionaires.

Didnt say championship level.

Come on, lets hear it?

Who's PL best XI does Anthony get into?
Hel get in just fine at most teams out of the top 6. In fact he's a better performer than Richarlson and to some extent Kulusevki so he can be valuable for Spurs too.

Im not saying he's an 80m talent but to say he's not worth 30m OR a PL team is just daft.

Now the excitement and happiness of winning the game in extra time a la 99 is wearing off, reality is sinking in.
We were crap again, and this wasn't Bayern. It was Bradford. We were awful , ETH has a lot of answering to do.

Last edited:
——————Mount —————-
———Eriksen - Amrabat ——

Outside of Martial obviously not being up for it for a while now, I think that midfield lacks serious mobility. Eriksen is not a starter. Amrabat is either getting up to speed or just not that dynamic. We'd struggle with that selection.

While I am fully behind ETH, and believe 90% of what we're experiencing right now is down to over a decade of incompetence on a board/ownership scale, I do worry that he's not exactly weathering the storm right now but caught in the middle of it. We were minutes from another embarrassing home defeat to Bradford today and he needs to mix up his ideas because Shefflield away in 2 weeks could easily become another nightmare.

While I am fully behind ETH, and believe 90% of what we're experiencing right now is down to over a decade of incompetence on a board/ownership scale, I do worry that he's not exactly weathering the storm right now but caught in the middle of it. We were minutes from another embarrassing home defeat to Bradford today and needs to mix up his ideas because Shefflield away in 2 weeks could easily become another nightmare.

Yeah Newcastle made them drop their heads so we have to somehow do the same, obviously we haven't got the team to score 8 though

Yeah Newcastle made them drop their heads so we have to somehow do the same, obviously we haven't got the team to score 8 though

It's mad that I'm genuinely fearful of playing away to a team that recently got humbled 8-0, but here we are. Hopefully this break helps us get some injuries back also.

We have got a lot of players who have the ability to get goals. 8 is a freak result but anything Newcastle can do ought to be possible for us.

It's mad that I'm genuinely fearful of playing away to a team that recently got humbled 8-0, but here we are. Hopefully this break helps us get some injuries back also.

Frustrating thing for Erik is he probably won't have a first choice defence again until around the time we go to Anfield on Dec 17

We have got a lot of players who have the ability to get goals. 8 is a freak result but anything Newcastle can do ought to be possible for us.
City only beat them 2-1 with a late goal. Spurs had to McTominay them. Will no doubt be one of those grim to watch ties.

Frustrating thing for Erik is he probably won't have a first choice defence again until around the time we go to Anfield on Dec 17

Easy for me to say obviously but if we can gain some confidence and move the ball forward with pace I think we'll be ok. The team are still quite passive in attack.

Obviously you get that feeling watching the games but they showed a few clips on MOTD where forward passes were on which would have put Brentford under serious pressure and the ball went to the side or back. We're far too risk averse and slow in our play at the moment. Now that could be down to personnel as well. Martinez, for example, would be firing those balls forward.

——————Mount —————-
———Eriksen - Amrabat ——

Choosing to start Martial for possession purposes, or any purpose really is utterly bizarre. What you're seeing from him now is the best and his level now, late sub appearances, and he still had time to waste a great chance.

They needed the win, however it came but it was fortunate, Brentford, like Forest decided to sit and hold rather than make an attempt to kill the game. Actually think the points gained this season flatter the performances, for all the whining about refs and bad luck, been totally unconvincing.

The style of play and personnel don't fit the league. The goal to be the best transition team is being served by constant long balls off opposition turnovers, looking to exploit the space, high failure rate to that and because the play is so stretched there is a lot of ground to cover defensively which doesn't fit the physical profile of this team and the signings he has made.

Just caught the end of yesterday's game again. Still buzzing from it. Nothing like two unexpected late goals to win a game is there. Really does stir up old memories and emotions. I'm emotionless watching us in general so makes a nice change. Seeing the buzz in the manager, players and in the stadium was great to see. Let's hope it gives them the confidence to turn things round. Not gonna say it might be a Mark Robins type moment but a bit of positivity is much needed and can make a huge difference.

Hope he can manage us to a win against Sheff United so this tag of worst season since 1878 or whatever it is can be dropped.

It’s still a pathetic start, but it will at least mean we’re better off after 9 games than 21/22, 18/19 and 14/15

Granted the manager was sacked in the first two mentioned - but the media love touting around about our worst ever start and the players and staff don’t need that added pressure if we’re to stabilise our season.

Now the excitement and happiness of winning the game in extra time a la 99 is wearing off, reality is sinking in.
We were crap again, and this wasn't Bayern. It was Bradford. We were awful , ETH has a lot of answering to do.

There was zero excitement tbf. Most have been slagging anyone and everyone off from manager to players.

Just watching MOTD, really do hope that they can galvanise themselves.

I don’t want ETH sacked, I’m really fond of him and want it to work. I’d also love to see how things could settle down if the other issues settle down and the team gets a decent run.

Any team missing their entire defence will struggle. Any keeper missing their first defence will struggle. The player’s confidence looks through the floor , no amount of coaching can fix that, but winning yesterday is just the kind of thing that can help us kick on.

If by Christmas we have scraped through CL group and have at least arrested the defeats in England (looking like we are starting to get going) I’d be delighted because sacking the manager is the panic option.

I get why clubs end up doing it and why fans want it, but there’s no other club , this big , making has so many issues that’s nothing to do with the manager. We are a uniquely broken club that makes the managers job so much tougher then it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.