Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
International break is absolutely perfect! Get some defenders back please and hopefully things can begin.

There was zero excitement tbf. Most have been slagging anyone and everyone off from manager to players.
Yeah I noticed that yesterday. Yesterday was a chink of light for once so roll with it people. I know it wasn't a great performance and the late win doesn't solve everything but it was joyous none the less and we have to enjoy those moments as we don't get them often these days! It certainly deserved a day off the negativity at least.

Got bailed out by the two players he most wanted to bin off. Extremely ironic and lucky.

It's just really disappointing that once again instead of seeing a system and philosophy being implemented we're seeing a manager fighting for his life and being bailed out by individual moments of brilliance. What's changed from Ole's tenure? Feck all really.

Outside of Martial obviously not being up for it for a while now, I think that midfield lacks serious mobility. Eriksen is not a starter. Amrabat is either getting up to speed or just not that dynamic. We'd struggle with that selection.
Eriksen for all his flaws is probably our best CM seeing him this season (which says a lot). It’s a real mess in the midfield three but I think that setup would work just as well (or as badly) as whatever the current idea is. Mount is a 10, Eriksen plays the CM role where he drops off to the left and Amrabat can play DM.

We’ll never see it because Case and Bruno will never be dropped but just an idea.

They needed the win, however it came but it was fortunate, Brentford, like Forest decided to sit and hold rather than make an attempt to kill the game. Actually think the points gained this season flatter the performances, for all the whining about refs and bad luck, been totally unconvincing.

The style of play and personnel don't fit the league. The goal to be the best transition team is being served by constant long balls off opposition turnovers, looking to exploit the space, high failure rate to that and because the play is so stretched there is a lot of ground to cover defensively which doesn't fit the physical profile of this team and the signings he has made.
This is one of the biggest issues. He's put together a squad that makes it look like he still hasn't grasped the need for physicality in this league. Even Rangnick pointed it out.

It's just really disappointing that once again instead of seeing a system and philosophy being implemented we're seeing a manager fighting for his life and being bailed out by individual moments of brilliance. What's changed from Ole's tenure? Feck all really.

A trophy for one. He pushed the squad really hard last season. This season he's had his share of rotten luck and has made some errors no doubt, but let's wait and see how the season plays out before drawing comparisons with Ole.

"If you cannot find him, you will not play"

Accountability, standards, these are things Ten Hag is not implementing at the moment.

If he doesn't change his ways he'll be another manager that the players got sacked.

I honestly think if he'd lost the Brentford game and then to Copenhagen, he'd be in serious trouble

I haven't seen any of the game, but it sounds true to form. ETH is struggling and his post-game comments will not help

"When you can't handle the pressure, don't play here"

It's Mourinho all over again. ETH is up against it now.

,"
Why? He is absolutely spot on.

He's hardly done himself any favours. He picks Onana constantly who is clearly struggling with the pressure, but won't drop him. He has never taken personal responsibility his entire time here.

A trophy for one. He pushed the squad really hard last season. This season he's had his share of rotten luck and has made some errors no doubt, but let's wait and see how the season plays out before drawing comparisons with Ole.
The most pointless one of the lot. Ok..

He's hardly done himself any favours. He picks Onana constantly who is clearly struggling with the pressure, but won't drop him. He has never taken personal responsibility his entire time here.
The entire 18 months after finishing third and winning a trophy right?
The melodramatic nature of our fanbase really is a sight to behold. A lot of our fanbase shits the bed faster than the players

The entire 18 months after finishing third and winning a trophy right?
The melodramatic nature of our fanbase really is a sight to behold. A lot of our fanbase shits the bed faster than the players
Hardly melodramatic, especially compared to his supporters calling him a great manager when he hasn't proven that.

But how does his statement is any wrong. He is just stating the obvious. You have to handle pressure if you want to succeed at United and that applies to everyone.

Easy for me to say obviously but if we can gain some confidence and move the ball forward with pace I think we'll be ok. The team are still quite passive in attack.

Obviously you get that feeling watching the games but they showed a few clips on MOTD where forward passes were on which would have put Brentford under serious pressure and the ball went to the side or back. We're far too risk averse and slow in our play at the moment. Now that could be down to personnel as well. Martinez, for example, would be firing those balls forward.

Yeah you could see yesterday that we aren’t moving the ball quick enough in games. Don't know how Erik gets them to be less static off the ball because that's a big issue

Yeah you could see yesterday that we aren’t moving the ball quick enough in games. Don't know how Erik gets them to be less static off the ball because that's a big issue

Training training and more training.

LVG took an average bunch of players and turned them into the best possession based team in the league through rigorous training exercises.

The LVG possession was mostly in our own half and the most boring as feck shit I’ve ever seen but it showed that training works if it’s done in the right way.

feck knows what ETH has them doing on the training ground. Not a lot judging by how appallingly we look.

Hel get in just fine at most teams out of the top 6. In fact he's a better performer than Richarlson and to some extent Kulusevki so he can be valuable for Spurs too.

Im not saying he's an 80m talent but to say he's not worth 30m OR a PL team is just daft.

There is no way Ange takes Anthony over Kulusevki.

City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa, Brighton, West Ham, Newcastle, Palace, Chelsea, Wolves and Forest all have better and more productive players than Anthony at RW.

Any of the lesser, more "workmanlike" teams wouldn't want to carry a show pony like Anthony, therefore, my point stands....

He wouldn't get into any starting XI in the league.

Training training and more training.

LVG took an average bunch of players and turned them into the best possession based team in the league through rigorous training exercises.

The LVG possession was mostly in our own half and the most boring as feck shit I’ve ever seen but it showed that training works if it’s done in the right way.

feck knows what ETH has them doing on the training ground. Not a lot judging by how appallingly we look.

Yeah when you look at our performances it does make you wonder what he's doing in training

Has anyone noticed how downhill Ajax have gone since ETH has left? They’re near relegation zone. There in a transitional period I see.

City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa, Brighton, West Ham, Newcastle, Palace, Chelsea, Wolves and Forest all have better and more productive players than Anthony at RW.

Any of the lesser, more "workmanlike" teams wouldn't want to carry a show pony like Anthony, therefore, my point stands....

Antony is a "workmanlike" team's wet dream, he never stops working, so I'm not sure your point does stand in all honesty.

Any of the lesser, more "workmanlike" teams wouldn't want to carry a show pony like Anthony, therefore, my point stands…

How is he a show pony? He’s one of the hardest workers in our team and tracks back way more than any other attacker we have.

You can argue that he doesn’t have the required ability or attacking output but there’s no way he can be labelled a show pony just because he did the odd trick when we first signed him.

With the amount of money he has spent he simply has to stick with him, even though he has been utter crap. You can't spend north of 50 million on a goalkeeper and then just decide they're rubbish after 10 games and bin them. It's not like United have a situation like Arsenal have, with two good goalkeepers.

Onana will get at least half the season to prove himself because there is just no other option beyond bringing in Bayindir who is probably even worse, and Heaton who is solid but currently injured and getting on in age. Heaton might be useful for half a season if Onana really hits the skids.

Put simply, Erik Ten Hag has been unbelievably weak in the transfer market, most likely the worst manager we've ever had in transfer windows. Going around signing ex-players as he has done is utterly clueless and underlines the need for a strong Director of Football who will veto signings that seem based on sentiment.

Last edited:

Again the hyperbole is just way too much. We all know Antony is blunt in end product but his grafting, press resistance and link up play is an asset to most PL sides. To say he's get in none is just agenda driven nonsense.

I still don’t get people who play down the league cup. Even when we were always winning stuff I still wanted to win everything, including the league cup.
Sure, but we did care little about it and called it The Mickey Mouse Cup back when we were relevant in major tournaments.

Again the hyperbole is just way too much. We all know Antony is blunt in end product but his grafting, press resistance and link up play is an asset to most PL sides. To say he's get in none is just agenda driven nonsense.

Not saying he is terrible. Not saying he wont improve. Yes, he does, at times appear to put in the effort - we saw some good stuff against Arsenal in terms of tracking back.
But im convinced that no manager in the Premier League would swap their right sided forward for Anthony.

Not saying he is terrible. Not saying he wont improve. Yes, he does, at times appear to put in the effort - we saw some good stuff against Arsenal in terms of tracking back.
But im convinced that no manager in the Premier League would swap their right sided forward for Anthony.

I think that's way over the top. So by the same logic, would you take any of the other right forwards in the league over him?

And our alternative in that possession was who?

How does that matter. He is first choice RW for a PL team and that too for the team that finished third. So your post is just wrong.

Plus a 3rd place finish in the same season. He achieved more than Ole in one season.
Not really. You might call winning the league cup without beating any good teams an achievement but I don’t. Getting to EL final under Ole beating Lepzig and Milan and only losing on penalties was a bigger achievement.

Not really. You might call winning the league cup without beating any good teams an achievement but I don’t. Getting to EL final under Ole beating Lepzig and Milan and only losing on penalties was a bigger achievement.

We’re not seriously calling lost cup finals an achievement nowadays, are we?

Everything is an agenda now. There's someone calling out people having an agenda against ddg in the Onana thread, people are called out for having an agenda because they criticize Rashford for his turdy performances and here people have an agenda against Antony because they called him shit.

Because he has bought many of the current players. And he is responsible for picking the team. Doesn't he know which players can play at Man Utd, and who may not be able to cope with the pressure?

ETH needs to be careful, as he may be accused of saying too much in public. This statement "When you can't handle the pressure, don't play here" sets him apart from the players. He is talking about 'them'. I don't think that's helpful. Not at all. Consider recent comments about Sancho, he may be accused by some, some, of sharing too much criticism, publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.