Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't start Garnacho or partner Casemiro with McTominay, but if we are going to start using the latter as some sort of desperate Fellaini - like Hail Mary, then fair enough :)
Point is, the change worked and the players who were slated came to rescue, today. I don't expect an apology but a self realization that they are decent players and can help us in this difficult situation is the least we should do.

And Oh,Rashford and Sofiyan were shit today as well.

I applaud him for subbing both Casemiro and Martial that early. They have been piss poor. I think we always start the game well with high energy and somehow end up conceding stupid goal and then the morale goes down. We need a big win to get our season started again. Feel the confidence is lacking.

You do know that both Murtough and our scouting department ok'ed the decision? It's clear as day that no only were they fine with it, but they also thought that paying 90 million for Antony or 45 for Onana was a good deal. And yet somehow it is his fault? Both Murtogh and Arnold could have said: "No, we're not spending 90 mil on a winger from Eredevise, but we got these other options that are very similar and are going to cost anywhere from a 1/3 to 1/2 of what they want for Antony"
What are you trying to say? That ETH is not at fault for the club paying 90m on a player he wanted and trained for 2 years? Yeah Murtough and the other wanker are at fault but so is ETH, he had the best insight of his value and ability and he okeyed it. Ultimately he should have known that buying a former player of his, will always be on him more than on anyone else.

I imagine what really happened, is that Murtough/Arnold got their marching orders from the Glazers about getting Top 4 and fixing the squad before ETH gets here(ETH was still managing Ajax at the time and he didn't focus on United). In their desire to present themselves different from Woodward, they got carried away with "negotiations and structure" that they left all these gaping whole in our squad.

Desperate, scrambling and trying to cover their asses, they resorted to ETH and what he needs. And now, if all else fails, they can save their asses by saying that ETH was being very unreasonable and he wanted players X, Y and Z which they got him. Hence why they left him with a full control over the transfers for a second window running.

Somehow I doubt ETH got the job by telling Murtough and Arnold that he needs full control over the transfers, and only then for him to gush to the press about how good and modernized our structure was.

Most likely both Murtough and Arnold are trying to save their asses right now, and they are throwing ETH under the bus. This would explain why the "insiders" claim that he looks so jaded and aloof. He probably feels like he's been lied to by our hierarchy.

I work for a medium sized company that is doing the exact thing that I've listed above. A detached and shady owner that wants to travel the world and have minimal input into how his company is run. Useless higher management that puts all the responsibility on the middle management and the regular workers. When everything goes tits up, they are always throwing everyone else under the bus, and the owner laps it up. Rinse and repeat. And that is current version United for you.

How do I know this to be true?
ETH had 0 issues working with Overmaars at Ajax. Their relationship was solid, and ETH trusted him 100%. Now I'm having a hard believing that once he moved to United, he did a 180 and said he doesn't need any input from a DOF and wants 100% control over the transfers. Most likely when he walked in he realized that the so called "structure" wasn't there and he had to take control fast to save his job.

If we also look at the press leaks and exclussives: they are always blaming ETH and how he has full control and almost zero mentions, that it is Arnold's and Murtough's job to take said control from him and implement a structure. They get a free pass because the news are coming from them.

But it's good to see that more and more fans are slowly waking up and realizing that this is what's going on, and ETH is getting the short end of the stick. So even if he's not good enough(jury still out for me), the first 2 that need to get the boot are Arnold and Murtough, and only then can we direct our grievances to ETH.
Nobody is saying Arnold and Murtough are not at fault, they are most culpable of blindly following ETH, that is because they are a bunch of football nobodies and need to be sacked. But there is no excuse for training some crap player like Antony for 2 years and deciding that he is the player that will improve my team in the PL at Manchester United and is worth 90m of my club's budget.

Well with pep you have a CL level manager and one already thought as one of the best ever…we have someone who was a big success with Ajax with no credit in the bank here at all really. We don’t know what he’s trying to do yet with our play. It’s not clear to anyone watching.
Clearly, but the point is we don't have Pep and there isn't another like him anywhere. We had two CL winning managers, we bought shite under them. We had an ex-player who knew "the United way" and bought shite under him. That people are still blaming the manager for buying shite is just slightly mad to me.

Point is, the change worked and the players who were slated came to rescue, today. I don't expect an apology but a self realization that they are decent players and can help us in this difficult situation is the least we should do.

And Oh,Rashford and Sofiyan were shit today as well.
Garnacho has always been a good option off the bench so McTominay was the only one who was unwelcome really. However, he did the business when he came on. I still don't think he is anywhere near good enough, but if he can pinch a few late goals like Fellaini did, then fair play to him.

Agreed. I'm not against Garnacho and Mainoo (when fit) coming into the side.

Garnacho has always been a good option off the bench so McTominay was the only one who was unwelcome really. However, he did the business when he came on. I still don't think he is anywhere near good enough, but if he can pinch a few late goals like Fellaini did, then fair play to him.

Agreed. I'm not against Garnacho and Mainoo (when fit) coming into the side.

Give the credit to Harry too. He was great today.

we played shite
Mct wasn't brought on to "partner case"
Dalot didn't play on the left
Lindelof didn't play on the right
Garnacho didn't start
You are missing the whole point,buddy. You think this is one of the "hey I told ya" posts.

Keep doing that.

You do know that both Murtough and our scouting department ok'ed the decision? It's clear as day that no only were they fine with it, but they also thought that paying 90 million for Antony or 45 for Onana was a good deal. And yet somehow it is his fault? Both Murtogh and Arnold could have said: "No, we're not spending 90 mil on a winger from Eredevise, but we got these other options that are very similar and are going to cost anywhere from a 1/3 to 1/2 of what they want for Antony"
*Ten hag OD's on coke*

"You do know Murtough and Arnold were at the party watching him do it? They could've stopped him. And yet somehow it is his fault?"

It depends. Let us not forget he got frustrated with Bayern hierarchy and left. Managing United is a different kettle , more pressure, more scrutiny. Not saying he won't have done a better job than all our coaches but I don't think he would have lasted as long as he is at city. He would have puked at Woodward and Murtough.

There is as much pressure on Bayern manager than a United manager. They expect to win everything.

City is a perfect environment for Pep, but he has created that. City hired Txiki Begiristain the year before Pep came in, on the instruction of Pep as a condition for him joining.

In 18 months, i dont think we have seen what Ten Hag football looks like, certainly not consistently.

I believe Pep would stamp his identity on this team pretty quickly.

Well - Never in doubt .

They didn't play with 2 DMs and couldn't score until Casemiro was off the pitch with McTominay basically playing as a 3rd striker.

Anyways you're right about Amrabat at DM, he's way better there than at LB and he's an upgrade on Case for what we need from that position.

My man, under the other managers we sucked at Anfield and Etihad. Under ETH you can now add Amex and this season, even Old Trafford. At least under Ole we had a few memorable big wins and that long unbeaten streak. In what universe is a ETH-led Utd looking like it can beat even bottom teams comfortably at home? I mean, Wolves, Forest and Brentford at home this season? Shocking!

There's no difference between him and Ole. Please, no one say 'but league cup' like it's the holy grail of English football. ETH won't get fired, but I don't think he's going to be very respected. His own signings are flopping hard and he's had to turn to the old guard to get him a bit more time.

And the comparison to Klopp, and feck me, Pep?! Might as well have looked at SAF and say that it should be written into Man Utd hiring policy that every manager gets a minimum of 5 years because, well, Fergie.
We did go basically a season unbeaten at home - between last seasons opener at home to Brighton and a few games ago. Our home form under him was fantastic last season.

I’m not going to act like we’ve seen Ten Hag’s brand of football, but it’s early days and we’ve been killed by injuries. Right now it’s just about getting results until we can get everybody fit and firing.

I’m not comparing Ten Hag to Klopp or pep, other than to say that even the 2 best managers in the league struggled initially. Ten Hag finished 3rd and won a trophy - something neither pep or Klopp did. He’s also had to contend with disciplinary issues of Antony, Greenwood and Sancho, the ownership issue, the club running out of money and several other things out of his control. Prime Arrigo Sacchi wouldn’t get a tune out of a team with no first choice defenders in it!

It would be a challenge to check the stats on this, but I don't recall Messi ever scoring twice in stoppage time. Or Ronaldo.

I imagine what really happened, is that Murtough/Arnold got their marching orders from the Glazers about getting Top 4 and fixing the squad before ETH gets here(ETH was still managing Ajax at the time and he didn't focus on United). In their desire to present themselves different from Woodward, they got carried away with "negotiations and structure" that they left all these gaping whole in our squad.

Desperate, scrambling and trying to cover their asses, they resorted to ETH and what he needs. And now, if all else fails, they can save their asses by saying that ETH was being very unreasonable and he wanted players X, Y and Z which they got him. Hence why they left him with a full control over the transfers for a second window running.

Somehow I doubt ETH got the job by telling Murtough and Arnold that he needs full control over the transfers, and only then for him to gush to the press about how good and modernized our structure was.

Most likely both Murtough and Arnold are trying to save their asses right now, and they are throwing ETH under the bus. This would explain why the "insiders" claim that he looks so jaded and aloof. He probably feels like he's been lied to by our hierarchy.

I work for a medium sized company that is doing the exact thing that I've listed above. A detached and shady owner that wants to travel the world and have minimal input into how his company is run. Useless higher management that puts all the responsibility on the middle management and the regular workers. When everything goes tits up, they are always throwing everyone else under the bus, and the owner laps it up. Rinse and repeat. And that is current version United for you.

How do I know this to be true?
ETH had 0 issues working with Overmaars at Ajax. Their relationship was solid, and ETH trusted him 100%. Now I'm having a hard believing that once he moved to United, he did a 180 and said he doesn't need any input from a DOF and wants 100% control over the transfers. Most likely when he walked in he realized that the so called "structure" wasn't there and he had to take control fast to save his job.

If we also look at the press leaks and exclussives: they are always blaming ETH and how he has full control and almost zero mentions, that it is Arnold's and Murtough's job to take said control from him and implement a structure. They get a free pass because the news are coming from them.

But it's good to see that more and more fans are slowly waking up and realizing that this is what's going on, and ETH is getting the short end of the stick. So even if he's not good enough(jury still out for me), the first 2 that need to get the boot are Arnold and Murtough, and only then can we direct our grievances to ETH.

A lot of "what i think" here and assumptions. We don't really know what goes on behind closed doors. To assume that the club has no data, scouting reports or intel on players it quite frankly ludicrous. The club hire 50+ scouts.

Both the club and ETH have a veto - it has been reported in relation to Kane who the club Veto'd and ETH wanted.

What is factual is that Anthony and Onana are both Ten Hag's guys. Yes, the club could have veto'd the signings, but when a manager says "I want these players and I can vouch for them" it is very hard to kick back against.

Ill give Ten Haag one excuse. Nobody could predict our main players falling off a cliff. Its not even poor form. Its like they cant play football anymore. Im talking about our key players - Rashford, Bruno, Casemiro, Onana. Thats the spine of the team along with Varane who just cant stay fit but we could all see that coming. But with these other players I mean WTF is wrong with them. Sure you can say Ten Haag could have just dropped them but I think any manager would struggle if your main players just went totally sht overnight. Say Liverpool had Allison, Van Dijk, Salah and Szoboszlai just go sht. Could they cope? Could Arsenal cope if say Saka, Rica, Saliba, Odegard went donkey sht. its unprecedented. Its not just form. Its attitude, its their leadership, its everything.

He looks clueless on how to construct a top level attack in this league.

Our goal-scoring has been abject in both seasons in the league.

He's not going to survive here if he doesn't seriously pick it up a few levels.

We did go basically a season unbeaten at home - between last seasons opener at home to Brighton and a few games ago. Our home form under him was fantastic last season.

I’m not going to act like we’ve seen Ten Hag’s brand of football, but it’s early days and we’ve been killed by injuries. Right now it’s just about getting results until we can get everybody fit and firing.

I’m not comparing Ten Hag to Klopp or pep, other than to say that even the 2 best managers in the league struggled initially. Ten Hag finished 3rd and won a trophy - something neither pep or Klopp did. He’s also had to contend with disciplinary issues of Antony, Greenwood and Sancho, the ownership issue, the club running out of money and several other things out of his control. Prime Arrigo Sacchi wouldn’t get a tune out of a team with no first choice defenders in it!

Home form good. Last years away form was diabolical.

Beyond against Palace B, we have been poor in every other game.

More often than not, regardless or injuries, we still have the far superior players. You can only really say Bayern and Arsenal have better.

No one can see what the plan is supposed to be. We literally cant string 3 passes together. This manager is not getting this team to do even the basics or marking, tracking back, finding space, passing to an open man.

There is a disconnect between managers and players. We got away with it today and hopefully its a turning point, but if its more of the same after the break, something has to give.

I’m behind him more than I was Ole or Jose when they had their wobbles, and I was Ole in until the scouse slapped us. Ten hag has shown he can do it, both at Ajax and here. Let’s not forget it took pep and Klopp a couple of years to turn things round at their clubs, especially Klopp who finished 8th.

He’s had to deal with an unprecedented amount of shit, including never having his first eleven available. Give him time.
I agree with you. The thing that’s frustrating is though, we don’t yet see a style of play after a year in charge. We’re seeing the spurs manager change them around instantly. ETH has made expectations higher for himself because he won a cup and finished 3rd in his first season. It shouldn’t be 1 step forward and 2 back. We should be seeing a lot more progress this year. It took guardiola 2 years to start winning things and challenging… it took Klopp about 3. We’re nowhere near at their level though. The scousers had 1 bad season last year and they’ve instantly turned it around this year again so far…

A lot of "what i think" here and assumptions. We don't really know what goes on behind closed doors. To assume that the club has no data, scouting reports or intel on players it quite frankly ludicrous. The club hire 50+ scouts.

Both the club and ETH have a veto - it has been reported in relation to Kane who the club Veto'd and ETH wanted.

What is factual is that Anthony and Onana are both Ten Hag's guys. Yes, the club could have veto'd the signings, but when a manager says "I want these players and I can vouch for them" it is very hard to kick back against.
Seems pretty straightforward to block them just on money grounds, unless they can't themselves provide any better alternatives.

Home form good. Last years away form was diabolical.

Beyond against Palace B, we have been poor in every other game.

More often than not, regardless or injuries, we still have the far superior players. You can only really say Bayern and Arsenal have better.

No one can see what the plan is supposed to be. We literally cant string 3 passes together. This manager is not getting this team to do even the basics or marking, tracking back, finding space, passing to an open man.

There is a disconnect between managers and players. We got away with it today and hopefully its a turning point, but if its more of the same after the break, something has to give.
I’m not going to read too much into today, the same as I wouldn’t read too much into some of the losses we’ve had this season. I’m just looking at the bigger picture, and while the away form against the top 10 is concerning, as well as the drop off post league cup final, I’ve seen enough to give him time to get it right.

I certainly don’t think sacking him and going back to square one is a smart thing to do. We’d have to begin the whole cycle again.

Well we could have signed antony for much cheaper though had we gotten him in June itself. The board were idiots to waste one month chasing fdj and then panicking with antony signing.

Clearly, but the point is we don't have Pep and there isn't another like him anywhere. We had two CL winning managers, we bought shite under them. We had an ex-player who knew "the United way" and bought shite under him. That people are still blaming the manager for buying shite is just slightly mad to me.

Personally if we had all our players back I’d be confident we could get back to being a cohesive team in time…but we didn’t have that so he’s in serious trouble. By the time we do confidence might not be redeemable in time to save him.

So is Rashford though, so we might as well help the kid develop by giving him more minutes
No, he's not that bad. He's had a bad start to the season, and his confidence is low. But he is easily our most threatening player in general. Fans just have short term memories.

He looks clueless on how to construct a top level attack in this league.

Our goal-scoring has been abject in both seasons in the league.

He's not going to survive here if he doesn't seriously pick it up a few levels.
This is basically it for me. It's less to do with personnel and more tactical. And he hasn't shown the tactical level yet. Our wide play is pathetic, we have a complete lack of options out there until late in games. It just doesn't make sense when you consider how key that is for any big club. City, Arsenal, Liverpool etc all put so much focus on dominating the wings, having combinations out wide, stretching the pitch and then making paths for cut backs or crossing from better positions.

It's something United prioritized throughout all of Sir Alex's time and that is still key to this day. Yet we have Rashford rarely going on the outside, inverted left backs, whoever at RW roaming inside all game as well as asking Dalot to invert and tuck in pretty often along with then overlap when he gets the chance. It's a system set up for narrow play which requires precision that is just hard to execute even for top players. Very frustrating to watch

It's actually 2 times out of 3 this season IIRC.

I agree he probably isn't ready to start but he should be subbed on for Rashford a lot earlier when Rashford is this ineffective.
Maybe. Though there might be something in having him fresher against more tired opposition by making the sub later? Just a theory. I assume the analytics guys would look at that.

People need to stop with this repeated BS.What is this even based on? A grand total of 2 games at the start of the season?

In those two games Garnacho was just poor. His touch was heavy, his ball control was wayward and he just wasn’t even decent with anything. If he plays like that against tired legs for 20 minutes, he would still struggle.

Rashford has had stinkers for so many games after that, yet Garnacho doesn’t get a look in because of this ridiculous label based on a sample set of 2 fecking games.
I guess he didn't start any games last year.

If EtH doesn't drop one of Bruno or Mount in the attacking midfield to play McT, and doesn't drop Rashford for Garnacho, then Erik has no balls and no brains.

Doesn't matter who done what when in the past. Right now, right here - play your best team. McT is clearly on goal-scoring streak for national team and United. Garnacho clearly knows winger needs to assist. Let them score goals! No two ways about it

Last edited:
People need to stop with this repeated BS.What is this even based on? A grand total of 2 games at the start of the season?

In those two games Garnacho was just poor. His touch was heavy, his ball control was wayward and he just wasn’t even decent with anything. If he plays like that against tired legs for 20 minutes, he would still struggle.

Rashford has had stinkers for so many games after that, yet Garnacho doesn’t get a look in because of this ridiculous label based on a sample set of 2 fecking games.
Bang on.

And while Sancho was and is out of line, it's stuff like this that can turn more of the squad against EtH.

He won’t survive if we keeps signing his favourites.

Rashford needs to be dropped/sold on - he won’t have a better season than last year.

We clearly need some structure around signings because his have been shit too often, but many have been saying that for years

Someone needs to take him off recruiting. Every year we buy more deadwood it’s honestly insane. Our signing success rate must like 10-20%. Shambles.

Someone needs to take him off recruiting. Every year we buy more deadwood it’s honestly insane. Our signing success rate must like 10-20%. Shambles.
Seems high, particularly when taking fee into account.

For a Manchester United supporters forum, there are an awful lot of cnuts in this thread. It's pathetic :mad:

Happy we won but to be honest, we just as easily could have lost every single game this season apart from the league cup match against Palace.

For me it is the utterly disorganised and chaotic manner of our defending that is the biggest flaw. All it takes is for one player to switch off and the press crumbles.

There are so many issues with our tactical set-up and ETH hasn't made it easier for himself by poor recruitment to adapt to an approach that clearly needs a different set of players both from an ability and mentality perspective.

All good talking about us needing to live up to our standards but standards are set only when the system is present. We have neither.

We've taken 2 steps back this season from last season's progress.

I’m not going to read too much into today, the same as I wouldn’t read too much into some of the losses we’ve had this season. I’m just looking at the bigger picture, and while the away form against the top 10 is concerning, as well as the drop off post league cup final, I’ve seen enough to give him time to get it right.

I certainly don’t think sacking him and going back to square one is a smart thing to do. We’d have to begin the whole cycle again.

I agree.

But if the form and performances do not improve, something has to give.

You cant give him another couple of transfer windows to fix it if there are no real signs of life.

Well we could have signed antony for much cheaper though had we gotten him in June itself. The board were idiots to waste one month chasing fdj and then panicking with antony signing.

And why were they chasing FDJ? Because ETH wanted him.

Not sure if that is the case anyway. We already stuffed Ajax's bank account after the Martinez deal - a second player Ajax was away going to be expensive.

I have got to think there was enough of an indication that FDJ was open to a move for them to keep persisting.

Status
Not open for further replies.