Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crap 60min performance, but every change that occurred made us slightly better. The last 10mins of regular time was pretty good. Thought Antony looked dangerous and a bit less selfish than normal. Its a mystery why Garnacho doesn't start games.

Still way more questions than answers though, we struggle to create chances, our GK is horrific, defense looks fragile. Midfield still clueless at tracking back. We got away with it a bit, thought Strakosha was awful for Brentford, a really nervous and flappy goalkeeper.
Because 9 times out of 10 he's dismal as a starter. He's an impact player with loads of potential currently.

Because 9 times out of 10 he's dismal as a starter. He's an impact player with loads of potential currently.
So is Rashford though, so we might as well help the kid develop by giving him more minutes

It's actually 2 times out of 3 this season IIRC.

I agree he probably isn't ready to start but he should be subbed on for Rashford a lot earlier when Rashford is this ineffective.

It's possible Rashford would also look better if he did 30 minute cameos against tired legs. When Garnacho started our first two games of the season he looked lost and we lost them both.

True, but you forgot he had Rashford playing as a CF which was a disaster class that should never be repeated.

I think he is shit at identifying talent. You can't spend 300m+ on Antony, Casemiro, Onana, Mount, Malacia and then succeed to implement some kind of modern football. All of them were overpaid by at least half the price, affecting his budget and to top it off, he chooses his priorities. Today was saved, but that kind of bad recruitment I think can't be survived.

People need to stop with this repeated BS.What is this even based on? A grand total of 2 games at the start of the season?

In those two games Garnacho was just poor. His touch was heavy, his ball control was wayward and he just wasn’t even decent with anything. If he plays like that against tired legs for 20 minutes, he would still struggle.

Rashford has had stinkers for so many games after that, yet Garnacho doesn’t get a look in because of this ridiculous label based on a sample set of 2 fecking games.

He looks as lost as Ole did at times to me. I think it's possibly a job that came too early for him and he had a lot done for him at Ajax at a better run club.

As we saw with the cheers to Rashford getting subbed today, blind faith in underperforming players is the fastest was to lose the fans.

I think he’s doomed and todays result is just delaying the inevitable, i hope he can turn it round but we look poor in every department and it’s hard to see how we’re going to string a good run of results together.

Just another manager at United who's now fighting for survival. Any hope that we'll see a system or style of play take shape under ETH is out of the window, it's the Ole era all over again.

Last edited:
I think he is shit at identifying talent. You can't spend 300m+ on Antony, Casemiro, Onana, Mount, Malacia and then succeed to implement some kind of modern football. All of them were overpaid by at least half the price, affecting his budget and to top it off, he chooses his priorities. Today was saved, but that kind of bad recruitment I think can't be survived.
He's given far too much responsibility for our incomings.

Great point.

Maybe this is a turning point but I don't see it sadly

We were shit today and we got 2 goals at the end, not through his tactical brilliance or anything. Just fecking load the box football which I am fine with but not all the time

I don't really want him sacked as I genuinely don't know who else there is but he needs to really come up with a system. I don't see anything really, when we have that good 20 minute spell each game it's still not great football, it doesn't really look like we'll score. We just keep the ball in their half

You would like to think that in the future there will be more of an input from data analysts etc. I doubt that ten Hag was an expert on Højlund for instance.
I don't think data analysts is what we are lacking, we need a proper football figure at least on par with the manager, and it doesn't need to be an expert of said player, but someone with the authority and football knowledge. You can't just go and splash money on Mount and Onana when you have a Casemiro on his last legs and no capable right winger or striker.

He isn't being asked to scout talent though, or go through a list. Players like Antony and Onana he has worked with for many years, so it's concerning that he thinks they are good enough to play in the PL in his system. Especially if the reports were true about our scouts saying no to Antony.

I’m behind him more than I was Ole or Jose when they had their wobbles, and I was Ole in until the scouse slapped us. Ten hag has shown he can do it, both at Ajax and here. Let’s not forget it took pep and Klopp a couple of years to turn things round at their clubs, especially Klopp who finished 8th.

He’s had to deal with an unprecedented amount of shit, including never having his first eleven available. Give him time.

He's fecked himself with his own signings. Antony, Casemiro, Malacia are already duds, and Onana and Mount are headed that way too. No matter what happens from now, I can't see us challenging with such a dysfunctional team and most of that has been bought by ETH. He might ride out the season but can't see top 4 so will get sacked and we'll start over with another mediocre cycle.

I don't think data analysts is what we are lacking, we need a proper football figure at least on par with the manager, and it doesn't need to be an expert of said player, but someone with the authority and football knowledge. You can't just go and splash money on Mount and Onana when you have a Casemiro on his last legs and no capable right winger or striker.
Is Murtough supposed to be that guy? Sounds a lot like the type of figure that will only be brought in under ambitious new owners.

He isn't being asked to scout talent though, or go through a list. Players like Antony and Onana he has worked with for many years, so it's concerning that he thinks they are good enough to play in the PL in his system. Especially if the reports were true about our scouts saying no to Antony.
Identifying talent is more than scouting in my humble opinion. Yes he does no scouting but he surely reads reports and watches footage yes? And that is without going into the scary part as you say, for example Onana he was not working with him for how long 2 years? He must have had some fresh output coupled with the inside knowledge. To have all that and identify Antony as a Manchester United right winger? That is border line criminal.

I think he’s not going to be able to turn it around. Too many players including his buys just not capable of being top PL players. Rashers when low in confidence is such a championship level player it’s weird. Case looks like he hasn’t the stomach for it this season and that’s not going to change with each season. The manager says we need a reset… scary…we shouldn’t need that in his second season it should be just further progression needed.

He seems like a stubborn manager, so, I am not sure that anything else would work. For example, what if the upper management forced him to buy some other players? Would ETH be okay with that? The club offered a contract to De Gea, the player signed it, and ETH vetoed this. What if the club went ahead and signed De Gea and refused to sign Onana or any other goalkeeper? Would ETH use De Gea? And would we, as fans, accept that the club decides who to buy and sell and not ETH?

I think this is my biggest worry when it comes to Ten Hag. He proved last year that he could get results and I believe he can turn it around this year but he's not making it any easier with the signings he's bought in. Honestly, other than Martinez I don't think you could say any of his signings have been a success. The board need to start taking a bigger role in signings. We're just making the same mistakes we did with every previous manager.

Guardiola spent more in his first two seasons and started with a much better squad. A lot of those signings flopped too, they binned 2-3 players off after his first season and spent over 300m in his second season, and this was 6 years worth of transfer fee inflation ago.
It's all these things at once - they had a much better squad to begin with, they spent more and they spent better. Ten Hag takes his share of the blame for some of his targets but we just wind back to the fact that no manager should be relied on for recruitment to the extent we've done. Every single manager we've had has spent badly so it should be pretty obvious that it's not a manager thing at this point.

I’m behind him more than I was Ole or Jose when they had their wobbles, and I was Ole in until the scouse slapped us. Ten hag has shown he can do it, both at Ajax and here. Let’s not forget it took pep and Klopp a couple of years to turn things round at their clubs, especially Klopp who finished 8th.

He’s had to deal with an unprecedented amount of shit, including never having his first eleven available. Give him time.

My man, under the other managers we sucked at Anfield and Etihad. Under ETH you can now add Amex and this season, even Old Trafford. At least under Ole we had a few memorable big wins and that long unbeaten streak. In what universe is a ETH-led Utd looking like it can beat even bottom teams comfortably at home? I mean, Wolves, Forest and Brentford at home this season? Shocking!

There's no difference between him and Ole. Please, no one say 'but league cup' like it's the holy grail of English football. ETH won't get fired, but I don't think he's going to be very respected. His own signings are flopping hard and he's had to turn to the old guard to get him a bit more time.

And the comparison to Klopp, and feck me, Pep?! Might as well have looked at SAF and say that it should be written into Man Utd hiring policy that every manager gets a minimum of 5 years because, well, Fergie.

The way ETH wants to play will only work if he play traditional 442 because of the personnel at his disposal right now.

The structure of our team is a massive problem and we are all to busy feigning blind. This foolishness can’t continue and people applauding it or blaming individual players just to absolve ETH. It’s his responsibility to make things work like he did today but I’m not liking what I am seeing.

Even with my uneducated eyes, I’ve watched football long enough to know when a manager is doing a bad job with his set of players. He should know what his players are actually capable of by now. Fix it please.

My man, under the other managers we sucked at Anfield and Etihad. Under ETH you can now add Amex and this season, even Old Trafford. At least under Ole we had a few memorable big wins and that long unbeaten streak. In what universe is a ETH-led Utd looking like it can beat even bottom teams comfortably at home? I mean, Wolves, Forest and Brentford at home this season? Shocking!

There's no difference between him and Ole. Please, no one say 'but league cup' like it's the holy grail of English football. ETH won't get fired, but I don't think he's going to be very respected. His own signings are flopping hard and he's had to turn to the old guard to get him a bit more time.

And the comparison to Klopp, and feck me, Pep?! Might as well have looked at SAF and say that it should be written into Man Utd hiring policy that every manager gets a minimum of 5 years because, well, Fergie.
"Even Old Trafford and the Amex", buddy that's not new, that's just this team reverting back to type.

You do know that both Murtough and our scouting department ok'ed the decision? It's clear as day that no only were they fine with it, but they also thought that paying 90 million for Antony or 45 for Onana was a good deal. And yet somehow it is his fault? Both Murtogh and Arnold could have said: "No, we're not spending 90 mil on a winger from Eredevise, but we got these other options that are very similar and are going to cost anywhere from a 1/3 to 1/2 of what they want for Antony"

I imagine what really happened, is that Murtough/Arnold got their marching orders from the Glazers about getting Top 4 and fixing the squad before ETH gets here(ETH was still managing Ajax at the time and he didn't focus on United). In their desire to present themselves different from Woodward, they got carried away with "negotiations and structure" that they left all these gaping whole in our squad.

Desperate, scrambling and trying to cover their asses, they resorted to ETH and what he needs. And now, if all else fails, they can save their asses by saying that ETH was being very unreasonable and he wanted players X, Y and Z which they got him. Hence why they left him with a full control over the transfers for a second window running.

Somehow I doubt ETH got the job by telling Murtough and Arnold that he needs full control over the transfers, and only then for him to gush to the press about how good and modernized our structure was.

Most likely both Murtough and Arnold are trying to save their asses right now, and they are throwing ETH under the bus. This would explain why the "insiders" claim that he looks so jaded and aloof. He probably feels like he's been lied to by our hierarchy.

I work for a medium sized company that is doing the exact thing that I've listed above. A detached and shady owner that wants to travel the world and have minimal input into how his company is run. Useless higher management that puts all the responsibility on the middle management and the regular workers. When everything goes tits up, they are always throwing everyone else under the bus, and the owner laps it up. Rinse and repeat. And that is current version United for you.

How do I know this to be true?
ETH had 0 issues working with Overmaars at Ajax. Their relationship was solid, and ETH trusted him 100%. Now I'm having a hard believing that once he moved to United, he did a 180 and said he doesn't need any input from a DOF and wants 100% control over the transfers. Most likely when he walked in he realized that the so called "structure" wasn't there and he had to take control fast to save his job.

If we also look at the press leaks and exclussives: they are always blaming ETH and how he has full control and almost zero mentions, that it is Arnold's and Murtough's job to take said control from him and implement a structure. They get a free pass because the news are coming from them.

But it's good to see that more and more fans are slowly waking up and realizing that this is what's going on, and ETH is getting the short end of the stick. So even if he's not good enough(jury still out for me), the first 2 that need to get the boot are Arnold and Murtough, and only then can we direct our grievances to ETH.

It's all these things at once - they had a much better squad to begin with, they spent more and they spent better. Ten Hag takes his share of the blame for some of his targets but we just wind back to the fact that no manager should be relied on for recruitment to the extent we've done. Every single manager we've had has spent badly so it should be pretty obvious that it's not a manager thing at this point.

Well with pep you have a CL level manager and one already thought as one of the best ever…we have someone who was a big success with Ajax with no credit in the bank here at all really. We don’t know what he’s trying to do yet with our play. It’s not clear to anyone watching.

For some odd reason, I am still behind him, normally I hate Utd way of delaying the sacking, until top 4 is unachievable or some other stupid reasons. I actually think the Madrid way is best, as you quickly get the best available manager and it stops the bleeding.

The reason for still backing him, comes from last season where he built up hope and expectations, plus I remember how impressed I was the way we played against Barca home and away and dominated them, it felt, he was a breath of fresh air for us.

I think he has made plenty of mistakes this season, specially continuously playing underperforming players and his stupid signings such as Antony, Onana and Mount, whom everybody was against from the start.

Just maybe today was the the turnaround we needed and with players coming back after international break and out fortunes turnaround.

Well with pep you have a CL level manager and one already thought as one of the best ever…we have someone who was a big success with Ajax with no credit in the bank here at all really. We don’t know what he’s trying to do yet with our play. It’s not clear to anyone watching.
I think he's around the level of De Zerbi. He had a great structure at Ajax and they built him a team based on their philosophy. He's hopeless at signings because I remember some disgruntled Ajax fans pointing out how useless his own signings were that he brought with him from Utretcht.

white text?
I was just about to reply to that poster saying the same thing, why would you play McT when we have Amrabat now. Everyday I see weirder and weirder things posted on here :lol:
No thanks.
Are you an opposition fan/want us relegated?
I was just about to reply to that poster saying the same thing, why would you play McT when we have Amrabat now. Everyday I see weirder and weirder things posted on here :lol:
This isn't going to get us anywhere.

Well - Never in doubt .

Guardiola would flop at Utd, its a club set up to fail from a sporting perspective and set up to succeed from a commercial perspective, no manager in world football can fully function at an optimum level without the correct structure in place, until that's put right the club will be lesser than the sum of its parts.

While he wouldn't be as successful, given City's great structure, it is a stretch to say he would flop here.

He would get every last drop out of the players we have.

Right now, ETH isnt getting much out of this team.

This sort of reminds me of that win against Fulham away with Garnacho getting the winner in injury time last season. The game where Ronaldo did the interview afterwards. Was a turning point in our season and again it was the last game before the international break.

Seeing some of his post match comments it would seem he's finally getting pissed off at the way some of the players are carrying themselves.

While he wouldn't be as successful, given City's great structure, it is a stretch to say he would flop here.

He would get every last drop out of the players we have.

Right now, ETH isnt getting much out of this team.
It depends. Let us not forget he got frustrated with Bayern hierarchy and left. Managing United is a different kettle , more pressure, more scrutiny. Not saying he won't have done a better job than all our coaches but I don't think he would have lasted as long as he is at city. He would have puked at Woodward and Murtough.

Status
Not open for further replies.