Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

So essential it's just rinse and repeat. Probably the same player(s) who just don't like to be told they are playing shit when they are playing shit.

Even if it were true, I doubt it's either of them because the article mentions the player is unhappy with the tactical role they play, neither Maguire or Sancho even play. Rashford doesn't press or track back so it would most likely be coming from his camp, especially considering how he's been torn apart by the media due to his lazy performance against Bayern and his pretty abysmal start to the season. He's also a common denominator under Mourinho, Solskjaer, Rangnick and ten Hag, all of whom suffered from leaks. I mean, he's even mentioned directly in the article:

It makes sense its Rashford although I do feel if they are seperate complaints the tactical role is McT. He is the only one that had to do something different since the loss of Antony.

They were asked to run and they did for a few months.

It's what makes every manager lose their jobs, asking the players for effort.

Keane was right, they'll throw every manager under the bus.

I also see Laurie Whitwell is prepping for ETH sacking in The Athletic

TBH, against Munich, I saw McTominay (who I was supportive of as he broke into the first team quite a while ago now) break forward into the final third before conceding possession then doing that (now very familiar) gentle trot backwards towards our goal, completely behind play and with no drive to close / press / get in the way.

Doesn't matter how good your tactics are, moments like the above cost you, and it's the managers job to reduce it happening, I sympathize with ETH but if he doesn't get the team performing (which is his job) he'll be in trouble; that said, it's a hard task, if he just kicks out the bad apples (as he has done with Sancho) he'll be castigated in the media (which is why he's likely chosen the highest profile one with Sancho).

This is it, this is the point where the club either back the manager to get rid of the naysayers or they sack him and it starts all over again.

Personally, I'd say moments like the McT one highlighted above make me think that ETH should be backed, and until we have 11-players who are all working themselves into the ground on the training pitch and on match days I'd keep backing him, because he has done it at CL level, he can make a team function, so let him weed out the trouble makers, but he does have to limit the carnage in the meantime.

Yes. The player who starts every week and is constantly praised by his manager is definitely the first one I thought of when hearing about players moaning about being unfairly criticised. Nice agenda.

It’ll be Sancho’s agent talking bullshit. Or made up nonsense by Luckhurst. The sooner we start winning the sooner this bullshit will stop for a bit.

He wasn't exactly praised after Bayern was he? Though Ten Hag didn't mention him by name he clearly alluded to him being among the culprits on Bayern's first goal. Plus he's looked frustrated, lazy and petulant on the pitch for quite a while now. The "agenda" stuff is just silly.

To be clear I hope it's Sancho or some of the other players Ten Hag clearly doesn't rate talking shite, or just nonsense made up by Luckhurst.

I suspect it's no coincidence that Sancho has been banished and all of a sudden there are leaks and reports of unrest in the dressing room.

Predictable and boring in all honesty.

For ETH though 7 very winnable games coming up in all competitions, after our poor start I think we have to win all 7 in all honesty to get our season back on track and build some confidence before the derby at the end of October.

I suspect it's no coincidence that Sancho has been banished and all of a sudden there are leaks and reports of unrest in the dressing room.

Predictable and boring in all honesty.

For ETH though 7 very winnable games coming up in all competitions, after our poor start I think we have to win all 7 in all honesty to get our season back on track and build some confidence before the derby at the end of October.
There's no point in Sancho leaking anything though cause he's likely going to be allowed to leave in January anyway.

There's no point in Sancho leaking anything though cause he's likely going to be allowed to leave in January anyway.

PR it's all the managers fault, protecting his image/brand.

It really dosent make sense for anyone else in the squad to leak such stories right now.

I don’t like Goldbridge but he’s spot on when he says the likes of Martinez, Casemiro etc are not picking up the phone to Samuel Luckhurst of all people to complain. This has the likes of McTominay, Sancho, and Maguire all over it.

I don’t like Goldbridge but he’s spot on when he says the likes of Martinez, Casemiro etc are not picking up the phone to Samuel Luckhurst of all people to complain. This has the likes of McTominay, Sancho, and Maguire all over it.

And Rashford.

My manager is ETH.
He is shit.
He is tactically naive.
He is caught between planning and executing.
Yet, He will remain my manager.

He will not be the guy I want but He is the guy we need. My manager.

For all those who make unlimited excuses for ETH, I want to ask you a very simple question.

Just remove from the equation that Ajax 2018/19 season where Frenkie De Jong demonstrated that he is truly a generational talent and was within seconds of carrying Ajax to the Champions League final.

Let us also consider that after Frenkie’s departure to FC Barcelona, Ajax’s performances in Europe have been as follows:

-2019/20: 3rd in group stage and round of 16 exit in the Europa (Getafe).
-2020/21: 3rd in group stage and quarter final exit in the Europa (AS Roma).
-2021/22: 1st in the group stage (relatively easier group but 6 wins in 6 deserves credit) and round of 16 exit (Benfica).

Has Ten Hag done enough in his career to earn the role of Manchester United manager?

I ask this because when I was excited about Ten Hag’s hiring, I preferred him to Pochettino. I felt that Ten Hag was on an upward trajectory compared to Poch. This was due to a perception that he was over-performing with Ajax and pulling rabbits out of the hat.

But looking back on it, while his European feats may have been remarkable by the standards of Ajax and an Eredivisie club, they do not seem enough to get the job at a club like United.

Granted he may have been hired for the style of play implemented at Ajax (even though Ajax have a structure and tradition that is conducive to possession football). Perhaps the thinking was that, if he had access to the resources at United, he would get us over-achieving too.

But where are the giant killings during which he displayed the tactical nous that gives a team the edge following the sale of Frenkie? Getting eliminated from Europe by Getafe and Benfica isn’t a good look.

I started having these thoughts after the 7-0 at Anfield but this torrid start to the season has solidified them. The dysfunctional environment at United is a fair excuse, but I’ve seen Big Ange at Spurs already implement a style of play with far worse players and he inherited from Conte and Mourinho!

United’s squad is blamed for Ten Hag’s failures but I question his squad building also. For example, why did he sign Hojlund? He is a good player, but given Rashford’s contract and that he is an untouchable Carrington product, it would have made sense to sign a number 9 that plays to his strengths, perhaps the same profile as Martial. Someone who drops deep, connects the play and creates space for Rashford to run in behind. Instead we signed a strikers who’s strengths are also running in behind, which subsequently exposes Rashford’s weaknesses (he doesn’t cross often and he can’t create chances). Ironically enough, the perfect profile to bring out the best of our £72m signing is someone like Sancho but he has not even had a chance to play with him.

I could go on all day about Ten Hag’s confusing tactical choices:
- Bruno on the right-wing.
-Weghorst and Antony’s unlimited chances
The 3-1-6 build-up that leaves the 1 isolated on defensive transitions.
- Playing two number 10s but without one of the full-backs inverting to solidify the middle.
-The ‘minimum width’ principle whereby wingers do not stretch the opposition defensive which then creates congestion in-front of the opponents goal and lets them stay compact.

All of these things are making me view Ten Hag as more LvG than a future SAF. For the life of me I cannot understand the logic of these choices and I would really appreciate it if somebody explained to me their pros because all I can see is cons! Please feel free to enlighten me. I am willing to change my mind upon the receiving new information.

Perhaps the Ten Hag we wanted to envisage in our heads is not the same Ten Hag we have in front of us.

Quite a lot of points here. I am going to provide some countering points.

I'll start with Rashford and buying a striker that suits him. Wayne Barton makes some points about City compared to United on his latest podcast (Talking Devils - or maybe it was him guesting at No Question About That), where Pep can move on players that a) don't fit b) aren't good enough c) he has problems with. That - besides the hierarchical structure is the main difference in how the two clubs are run. Cancelo was fecked off as soon as he had a spat with Pep. Barton said players like Shaw, Bruno and Rashford might all struggle to get into top sides, and I largely agree. They are our best players, but they are very inconsistent, which is the absolute requirement for top sides. I am not saying they should be moved on, but that they should not be untouchable. I think that's part of the reason it has been mentioned we've wanted a left sided forward in the last three windows - to everyone's bemusement. Shaw upped his game massively when Malacia got a run in the side at the start of last season. The other two will play no matter what. Buying a striker to suit Rashford rather than buying a striker that suits the manager's long-term tactical vision is putting all the eggs in the basket of an inconsistent player becoming an iconic figure that will carry this team forward. It would be madness.

Postecoglou is currently in charge of a Spurs team (5 matches into the season) that have almost no expectations and are not in Europe. He's not under the microscope and he is doing a good job. Sample size is far too small. As with De Zerbi, a very exciting manager, the same contextual logic holds: the expectations on Brighton (which have started to change only in the last week or so) are tiny compared to United and the scrutiny that is on the club. He, as with Postecoglou, has not inherited a dressing room of massively overpaid and in most cases average players that is difficult to shift, steeped in a culture of entitlement. So context matters.

Now what Ten Hag did at Ajax is frankly excellent, and I'd be surprised if there are Ajax fans out there who think differently. That he failed to repeat the European performances post FDJ after the squad had been gutted is nothing I'd put against his name. Look at the team he had, some of those players had been washed up in other leagues and he got them performing to likely their maximum level.

What had he to work with at United? A defence that had one consistent but injury prone player in Varane. An absolutely terrible midfield. An over the hill prima donna star forward, the most exciting youth prospect since Giggs under criminal investigation, an unmotivated and over the hill Martial, and Rashford who had, let's be honest, been a 5/10 player for a year and a half after Ole ran him into the ground. What ETH did last season was overachieve.

Now, since that League Cup win the form has been terrible, injuries and suspensions have piled up, and his insistence on playing the same players has caught up with quite a few of them. This is certainly a criticism I have for him, much like I did with Ole. The main issue here, besides carrying a load of poor players, is expectations. If he is allowed to instil his tactical style of play and we accept growing pains, fine, he can utilise youngsters here and there or the odd squad player he actually trusts and he can excommunicate any of the players who undermine him publicly or via the press. But it's not like that, he has to get results whilst also implementing his vision, and that in a season where there are two matches a week (which is commonly called three matches a week, but it's two) so time to train is in short supply when it is all about match preparation.

Now, Louis van Gaal first spoke of United as a commercial club during pre-season when he realised they don't give a feck about providing him with the best chance of sporting success when they can make money by touring the States or wherever the feck. This also happened last summer in what can only be seen as an anti-pre-season. This is something I would hope to see changed completely under new owners where the coaching staff is just asked "how do you want to prepare for the season" and that's that.

For whatever reason we have also not had the adequate medical staff for about six months I read, which is incredible for a club at this level.

So the context is quite important and nuanced.

I still worry about his reluctance to blood youngsters and I would like him to be more discerning with the media, forceful when he needs to be. And I hope he does all he can to uncover those undermining him anonymously in the press and banishes them from the team asap.

But why would Rashford be complaining about favouritism and such when he’s arguably one of those “favourites”
Because he's not carrying out the manager's instructions and the press picked up on it after the Bayern game, he was indirectly called out by ten Hag in the post match interview too relating to Sane's goal.

For all those who make unlimited excuses for ETH, I want to ask you a very simple question.

Just remove from the equation that Ajax 2018/19 season where Frenkie De Jong demonstrated that he is truly a generational talent and was within seconds of carrying Ajax to the Champions League final.

Let us also consider that after Frenkie’s departure to FC Barcelona, Ajax’s performances in Europe have been as follows:

-2021/22: 1st in the group stage (relatively easier group but 6 wins in 6 deserves credit) and round of 16 exit (Benfica).

Has Ten Hag done enough in his career to earn the role of Manchester United manager?

I ask this because when I was excited about Ten Hag’s hiring, I preferred him to Pochettino. I felt that Ten Hag was on an upward trajectory compared to Poch. This was due to a perception that he was over-performing with Ajax and pulling rabbits out of the hat.

But looking back on it, while his European feats may have been remarkable by the standards of Ajax and an Eredivisie club, they do not seem enough to get the job at a club like United.

Granted he may have been hired for the style of play implemented at Ajax (even though Ajax have a structure and tradition that is conducive to possession football). Perhaps the thinking was that, if he had access to the resources at United, he would get us over-achieving too.

But where are the giant killings during which he displayed the tactical nous that gives a team the edge following the sale of Frenkie? Getting eliminated from Europe by Getafe and Benfica isn’t a good look.

I started having these thoughts after the 7-0 at Anfield but this torrid start to the season has solidified them. The dysfunctional environment at United is a fair excuse, but I’ve seen Big Ange at Spurs already implement a style of play with far worse players and he inherited from Conte and Mourinho!

United’s squad is blamed for Ten Hag’s failures but I question his squad building also. For example, why did he sign Hojlund? He is a good player, but given Rashford’s contract and that he is an untouchable Carrington product, it would have made sense to sign a number 9 that plays to his strengths, perhaps the same profile as Martial. Someone who drops deep, connects the play and creates space for Rashford to run in behind. Instead we signed a strikers who’s strengths are also running in behind, which subsequently exposes Rashford’s weaknesses (he doesn’t cross often and he can’t create chances). Ironically enough, the perfect profile to bring out the best of our £72m signing is someone like Sancho but he has not even had a chance to play with him.

I could go on all day about Ten Hag’s confusing tactical choices:
- Bruno on the right-wing.
-Weghorst and Antony’s unlimited chances
The 3-1-6 build-up that leaves the 1 isolated on defensive transitions.
- Playing two number 10s but without one of the full-backs inverting to solidify the middle.
-The ‘minimum width’ principle whereby wingers do not stretch the opposition defensive which then creates congestion in-front of the opponents goal and lets them stay compact.

All of these things are making me view Ten Hag as more LvG than a future SAF. For the life of me I cannot understand the logic of these choices and I would really appreciate it if somebody explained to me their pros because all I can see is cons! Please feel free to enlighten me. I am willing to change my mind upon the receiving new information.

Perhaps the Ten Hag we wanted to envisage in our heads is not the same Ten Hag we have in front of us.

How do you explain Ten Hag's United beating a Barcelona with Frenkie, then?

Agree with this 100%. I also agree with some of the posters who think Rashford is behind some(not all) of the leaks. Every time his body language has been off and he shows this kind of petulant attitude that we've been seeing, the leaks seem to go hand in hand. I fear the relationship between him and ETH is not as good as it may seem, despite his game time. The minute he starts to come under fire by the media or fans, this kind of statement about players being unhappy about 'manager instructions' or some other kind of nonsense props up.

Daring to criticise or suspect Rashford in any way is not an 'Agenda' by the way. He was clearly behind a lot of the leaks under previous managers. It's not such a far fetched idea that he might one of the culprits again.

I don't think ETH is beyond criticism either and I'm not 100% sure he is the right man, but we've seen the exact same thing before under each of our previous managers. They have good periods followed by a rough patch that never seems to end because the minute people dare to question the players attitudes, all the PR spin comes out left, right and centre to protect their image. Meanwhile, they can't be bothered to do the very basic requirement of football players which is simply to work hard game in game out cause they don't 'like' the manager anymore. It's so fecking childish and repetitive and I'm surprised people are still falling for it.

ETH may not be the answer, but we will never know until these tumours are removed from the dressing room.

Last edited:
It has not even 2 years and our players have already thrown manager under bus! :wenger: Oh in regard of favorites, every manager always has their own favorites, i dont know why it's become a nuisance at this club? Giggsy and Gary Neville were Fergie favorites, they would always play whenever fitness permitted and ETH might have favorites too, but then so what? it's not like the alternatives (like Sancho) performed better whenever they were given chance anyway.

The club need to stick by him, we cannot allow these scum to throw another manager under the bus
True but we need to overhaul the whole structure, it means sacking the likes of Murtough who is an ally of ETH.

TBH, against Munich, I saw McTominay (who I was supportive of as he broke into the first team quite a while ago now) break forward into the final third before conceding possession then doing that (now very familiar) gentle trot backwards towards our goal, completely behind play and with no drive to close / press / get in the way.

Doesn't matter how good your tactics are, moments like the above cost you, and it's the managers job to reduce it happening, I sympathize with ETH but if he doesn't get the team performing (which is his job) he'll be in trouble; that said, it's a hard task, if he just kicks out the bad apples (as he has done with Sancho) he'll be castigated in the media (which is why he's likely chosen the highest profile one with Sancho).

This is it, this is the point where the club either back the manager to get rid of the naysayers or they sack him and it starts all over again.

Personally, I'd say moments like the McT one highlighted above make me think that ETH should be backed, and until we have 11-players who are all working themselves into the ground on the training pitch and on match days I'd keep backing him, because he has done it at CL level, he can make a team function, so let him weed out the trouble makers, but he does have to limit the carnage in the meantime.

Totally disagree, I sympathize with Ten Hag in terms of off the field issues (Antony, Greenwood, club sale, Sancho) and injuries (Shaw, Varane, Mount, AWB, Amrabat), but the bolded is totally on him, he knows what's Mctom is all about, yet he chooses to either start him or bring him on, I have no sympathy on that, Hannibal could've come in vs Bayern

The issue at a club like United, is that with the masses following the club, the seagulls that follow them, and the mass psychology of it all (just watch this place), negativity filters through to the entire club personnel in a way that doesn’t happen at any other club in the PL for instance. RM and Barcelona may be the only comparable clubs.

What happens to very ordinary people in such ‘critique pressure tanks’, is often ugly, it’s difficult to avoid people turning on each other.

Remember, for Ferguson to be able to turn the club around, he needed five years, including replacing practically the entire squad. Even then, he shocked everyone just two seasons after our first league win in 25 years, by sending three marquee players out the door, with no like for like replacements comming in. Likewise with stars like Beckham, Veron, Van Nistelrooy. Didn’t matter what they cost, their standing in the dressing room, or among the fans. Or eve nif we spent a season or two trophyless ajdjusting to the loss. That was the priority it had, to be able to control the squad.

Either Glazer/Arnold backs Ten Hag through a couple more seasons of revolving doors, or it’s rinse and repeat for the fifth time.

I know he has his his faults (and it's not politically correct), but Bobby K is one my favorites of all time. Thanks for that.

I went to school there. Was there when he threw the chair.

Woody said himself that you can manage kids of today the same way anymore. Knight's suicide runs would be considered abuse nowadays.

Another gem: Knight's hairdryer:

But why would Rashford be complaining about favouritism and such when he’s arguably one of those “favourites”

This has been going on for years and he's one of our longer serving players. The press and fans have been calling out Rashford recently and to much surprise stories start up again about how players aren't happy with ETH.

Who knows who it is(if anyone) but I wouldn't be ruling him out.

Totally disagree, I sympathize with Ten Hag in terms of off the field issues (Antony, Greenwood, club sale, Sancho) and injuries (Shaw, Varane, Mount, AWB, Amrabat), but the bolded is totally on him, he knows what's Mctom is all about, yet he chooses to either start him or bring him on, I have no sympathy on that, Hannibal could've come in vs Bayern

Aye, it's an interesting point, the only possible reason is that if he does jettison all the dissenters at once, the noise will go up and then it turns to Hannibal to make the decision look like the correct one in the short term (i.e., if he plays well EtH vindicated and vice-versa), but you're 1000% right, it's up to ETH to get us on the right track, and from the outside looking in I'd agree, bomb MCT out, can't be jogging back ever, never mind when we're in the mire!

Totally agree.

I went to school there. Was there when he threw the chair.

Woody said himself that you can manage kids of today the same way anymore. Knight's suicide runs would be considered abuse nowadays.

Another gem: Knight's hairdryer:

This does something to people; they either melt and blame everyone else, or shoulders go back and you go for it.

This has been going on for years and he's one of our longer serving players. The press and fans have been calling out Rashford recently and to much surprise stories start up again about how players aren't happy with ETH.

Who knows who it is(if anyone) but I wouldn't be ruling him out.

The thing that makes it all the more likely is the article mentioning ETH criticising how easily Rashford was bypassed by Leroy Sane. Also, people using the excuse that Rashford is one of his 'favourites', it doesn't mean that Rashford may not be unhappy at ETH's selection in other areas of the pitch, namely ETH's 'favourite' Antony over his mate Sancho.

On top of this, his body language and attitude has been completely off compared to how it was last season. The last time we saw him like this was under Rangnick and we all know how that went.

Also, as a sidenote - is there a single manager except perhaps LVG, who Rashford hasn't had issues with at some point? I think that says it all.

Last edited:
The thing that makes it all the more likely is the article mentioning ETH criticising how easily Rashford was bypassed by Leroy Sane. Also, people using the excuse that Rashford is one of his 'favourites', it doesn't mean that Rashford may not be unhappy at ETH's selection in other areas of the pitch, namely ETH's 'favourite' Antony over his mate Sancho.
I think people are overdoing the thing about Rashford there, in that goal there were other players who didn't show the "determination" either. He was only talking about that goal because Onana's mistake was brought up, and Rashford didn't make Eriksen and Casemiro yet again leave a forward wide open in the box for a cutback on the second.

This does something to people; they either melt and blame everyone else, or shoulders go back and you go for it.

It's different times now. Now sure most players will react the way Bobby Knight would have wanted. Even towards the end of his tenure at IU, he lost three 5 Star recruits (after a year) because they couldn't handle his management/coaching style. Martial quit playing for a season because he had his # 9 taken away.

you can't say this isn't entirely predictable.
Also which is why I think ten Hag should lie through his teeth this fecking so called journalists about Sancho

I support Ten Hag, this has to stop somewhere, the players whining and getting managers sacked. It should stop here. He should be allowed to ship out and get on. He is at least signing players who, OK I'm a bit worried about their quality, but you can see the profile of player and it's consistent.

I ask this because when I was excited about Ten Hag’s hiring, I preferred him to Pochettino.

I feel like much of the support for EtH when he was transitioning to become the manager of United was actually based on the identity of Ajax's philosophy. A manager from outside looking in who plays for a club that prioritises possession being built on the Cryuff model that the likes of Pep has demonstrated and orchestrated in his own beliefs, with his entire coaching ethos being based on Johan influence with his inspiration in management. It felt like a unique opportunity where United provisionally would finally have a manager playing on the front foot.

The reality however is that many of those factored beliefs haven't presented themselves in reality and United do not in any way reflect those pre conceived ideals. So the situation for me personally is EtH is a competent manager which he has proven but the same could be said for a Mourinho / LVG. As far as trying to equivocate this team's direction it's very hard to assess what the projection is over the next 36 months. The recruitment has been all over the place, there's certainly a lack of significance with integration of the youth players at academy level, it's genuinely hard to know at this point with EtH what to expect.

It doesn't feel like a project so much but more the manager trying to find his feet in amongst the circumstances of the current players. Makes it harder on both the manager and the players imo.

Last edited:

On top of this, his body language and attitude has been completely off compared to how it was last season. The last time we saw him like this was under Rangnick and we all know how that went.

Also, as a sidenote - is there a single manager except perhaps LVG, who Rashford hasn't had issues with at some point? I think that says it all.

According to Solskjaer, Sancho doesn't want to play right-wing. Poor thing being asked to play somewhere he doesn't want to play.

It's different times now. Now sure most players will react the way Bobby Knight would have wanted. Even towards the end of his tenure at IU, he lost three 5 Star recruits (after a year) because they couldn't handle his management/coaching style. Martial quit playing for a season because he had his # 9 taken away.
What did those 5-star recruits go on to do?

According to Solskjaer, Sancho doesn't want to play right-wing. Poor thing being asked to play somewhere he doesn't want to play.

These Gen Z footballers are too entitled and soft. 90% of people would take it up the arse bareback for what Sancho's being paid. And twice on sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.