Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The jury is not out, he has proven to be a good coach at multiple clubs. Utd is a massive challenge, and he's struggling to get us going this season, but you can't just write off his career because of that, we have made every manager since Ferguson look shite.
We’ve also made every player look shit. How can people say the problem is everything but the club at this stage? At some point they have to just stop looking outside the club for the answers.

In the previous comment you made a good point about players not following his instructions / not putting enough effort. This is all true. There are plenty of excuses for ETH currently, no one is going to deny that. However, I just question if we've seen enough from him at United to say "he is a good coach". I believe we have not seen nearly enough. It's all based on his reputation in other clubs. He might have been a good coach on that level, just like Ole at Molde for example, but on this level? I have not seen this yet.
I think he adapted well last year to make us a winning team, without the players that suited his personal style of football. That alone makes him a good coach, in my eyes.

I can see clear progress in how we are playing this season, especially in the last few games vs the first. He is missing his starting CB, CM and RW, I think we are going to continue looking good going forward, and stabilise defensively in midfield and defence, he just needs some time.

I dont have any basis for this other than anecdotal evidence, but I don't think Mount was ETH's first choice for that Midfield slot. He spent a summer chasing a progressive ball carrier in FDJ, there were then some links to him again in this summer which came to nothing. I could be wrong but I can't think of anyone of the profile of FDJ that was available and attainable for the fee we paid for Mount, so I think ETH made the best of a situation and chose to sign Mount and make a tactical change. There is also the Home Grown situation to think about which may have played a part.

I think you can criticise ETH for certain signings that were obviously his pick, but I'm not 100% sure he went to the recruitment team and insisted that Mount must be his priority. I do think he asked to get his preferred Midfielder and Goalkeeper in first as they would have the most influence tactically especially if the team was changing system and Mount was being asked to play a role unfamiliar to him.

Mount stinks of the Mata signing. A player United could get and it was that player or nobody better. That’s the United way, sign players managers didn’t exactly want, managers have to publicly support the signings and fans argue about why the manager wanted that signing when it turns out bad.

I think he adapted well last year to make us a winning team, without the players that suited his personal style of football. That alone makes him a good coach, in my eyes.

I can see clear progress in how we are playing this season, especially in the last few games vs the first. He is missing his starting CB, CM and RW, I think we are going to continue looking good going forward, and stabilise defensively in midfield and defence, he just needs some time.

I can see progress aswell, I hope ETH can get past this over reaction period so a fully fit squad can get going and show us what it can do under him.

It was inevitable that he was going to have period of poor results at some stage again.

Whatever the reasons, and there appear to be numerous, we will get to see what he is really made of when the chips are down and the pressure is on.

It’s quite unbelievable how you can go from Hero to Zero in football management in such a short space of time.

However, we have a team and squad of very experienced and well paid international players and they also need to step up more.

Like all good runs come to an end, this poor run has also got to end. What’s most worrying is that we are unable to dominate teams for any sustained period at the moment and seem to be full of silly errors.

We need to back and support ETH now more than ever as he will come good again.

I listened to his comments after the game last night, and now I am very worried. He is blaming the players. 'You make your own luck' by being determined? And that's what we need to do...'

He nevers speaks about his tactics. Bayern were not even all that good, and they hit four? We concede goals, teams run through our midfield and we need to be more 'determined' ?

The players will pick up on this.

He feels a lot like LVG to me, never his fault, always the players. He had no charisma either and I have wondered myself how these comments, coupled with his treatment of some players and the failing tactics, will go down with the players. I'm sure it has crossed their minds that they're being hung out to dry a bit. But I also suspect this is why he's surrounded himself with his players, to prevent unrest and protect his position.

For all those who make unlimited excuses for ETH, I want to ask you a very simple question.

Just remove from the equation that Ajax 2018/19 season where Frenkie De Jong demonstrated that he is truly a generational talent and was within seconds of carrying Ajax to the Champions League final.

Let us also consider that after Frenkie’s departure to FC Barcelona, Ajax’s performances in Europe have been as follows:

-2019/20: 3rd in group stage and round of 16 exit in the Europa (Getafe).
-2020/21: 3rd in group stage and quarter final exit in the Europa (AS Roma).
-2021/22: 1st in the group stage (relatively easier group but 6 wins in 6 deserves credit) and round of 16 exit (Benfica).

Has Ten Hag done enough in his career to earn the role of Manchester United manager?

I ask this because when I was excited about Ten Hag’s hiring, I preferred him to Pochettino. I felt that Ten Hag was on an upward trajectory compared to Poch. This was due to a perception that he was over-performing with Ajax and pulling rabbits out of the hat.

But looking back on it, while his European feats may have been remarkable by the standards of Ajax and an Eredivisie club, they do not seem enough to get the job at a club like United.

Granted he may have been hired for the style of play implemented at Ajax (even though Ajax have a structure and tradition that is conducive to possession football). Perhaps the thinking was that, if he had access to the resources at United, he would get us over-achieving too.

But where are the giant killings during which he displayed the tactical nous that gives a team the edge following the sale of Frenkie? Getting eliminated from Europe by Getafe and Benfica isn’t a good look.

I started having these thoughts after the 7-0 at Anfield but this torrid start to the season has solidified them. The dysfunctional environment at United is a fair excuse, but I’ve seen Big Ange at Spurs already implement a style of play with far worse players and he inherited from Conte and Mourinho!

United’s squad is blamed for Ten Hag’s failures but I question his squad building also. For example, why did he sign Hojlund? He is a good player, but given Rashford’s contract and that he is an untouchable Carrington product, it would have made sense to sign a number 9 that plays to his strengths, perhaps the same profile as Martial. Someone who drops deep, connects the play and creates space for Rashford to run in behind. Instead we signed a strikers who’s strengths are also running in behind, which subsequently exposes Rashford’s weaknesses (he doesn’t cross often and he can’t create chances). Ironically enough, the perfect profile to bring out the best of our £72m signing is someone like Sancho but he has not even had a chance to play with him.

I could go on all day about Ten Hag’s confusing tactical choices:
- Bruno on the right-wing.
-Weghorst and Antony’s unlimited chances
The 3-1-6 build-up that leaves the 1 isolated on defensive transitions.
- Playing two number 10s but without one of the full-backs inverting to solidify the middle.
-The ‘minimum width’ principle whereby wingers do not stretch the opposition defensive which then creates congestion in-front of the opponents goal and lets them stay compact.

All of these things are making me view Ten Hag as more LvG than a future SAF. For the life of me I cannot understand the logic of these choices and I would really appreciate it if somebody explained to me their pros because all I can see is cons! Please feel free to enlighten me. I am willing to change my mind upon the receiving new information.

Perhaps the Ten Hag we wanted to envisage in our heads is not the same Ten Hag we have in front of us.

I agree with all of this. I think the fans and club got a bit over excited with ETH and, when you look a bit closer, there were potential red flags already.

With regards to your last point, last season I reached the point where I was questioning the tactics against what we were told by his fans that he would be. Numerous times I asked Ajax fans and others to try to help me understand his plans and how it was conducive to the type of football we thought he'd bring. Nobody could give me an answer other than 'we're clearly trying to be a possession team but just need more players'. Ajax fans said things about him that made me question our direction even more, said he's stubborn, some said many Ajax fans were actually glad to see the back of him in some ways.

Personally I think he's over confident and simply believes that his tactics will win the game if followed perfectly. But it gives no leeway for coming up against a team who also have a good plan. In reality it feels like many managers have his number, it's just whether their players can carry out the plan. Even the smaller teams. He just either can't recognise this or genuinely believes any failure was just down to our players not following the plan like finely tuned robots. But there are obvious problems with his tactics even to us supporters.

Our team is in absolute bits, and you don't have to spend 30 seconds online to find a tactical analysis video showing that some of the players aren't doing their jobs in the system.

I'm not sure what a manager can do if the players are following the system but not putting in the required effort to make it work, other than bin those players, which he seemingly tried to do but couldn't.

Getting players to perform to their level and follow instructions is surely the main aspect of his job? It's certainly not just picking the squad on the day and that's that.

It would appear he's struggling to motivate some in the team. The players need looking at too but it's still a managerial issue.

I think this point gets lost a lot but he wanted Antony early in the window can't remember the quoted figures 40 million? Somewhere there. Had the club not dithered around he would have looked a lot better value. Instead they messed around and massively over paid for him. He is a system player nothing more.

Mount is still open for debate but I was never a fan of his. Hopefully he comes good.
You're quite right with the Antony fee being on the club but it's partly on Erik too as he must have seen him as a crucial 'whatever it takes' player instead of reaching a point at eg £60m where he realises Antony's being grossly overpriced and he'd be better off using the funds elsewhere, maybe on two players instead.

My confidence in Erik has taken a bit of a hit but calls for him to be sacked are ridiculous.

Getting players to perform to their level and follow instructions is surely the main aspect of his job? It's certainly not just picking the squad on the day and that's that.

It would appear he's struggling to motivate some in the team. The players need looking at too but it's still a managerial issue.
Some players aren't capable of playing at the required level, McTominay is a prime example, he just is not capable of performing in the system. What do you do if you have lots of injuries and have to play certain players? You can't just motivate anyone to become more than they are capable of, that's not how football works.

Some players aren't capable of playing at the required level, McTominay is a prime example, he just is not capable of performing in the system. What do you do if you have lots of injuries and have to play certain players? You can't just motivate anyone to become more than they are capable of, that's not how football works.

We've seen McTominay play better than his current sulky form so it's a lie to say he can't play to a required level. I agree he can't play in this current system exactly as it is so the manager has to tailor it to him or play someone else like Hannibal. He's doing neither unless the diamond was that attempt but it made no sense as just exposed his weaknesses.

We've won titles with worse players than McTominay. Let's not pretend playing him or other squad players is an automatic loss. That's why the squad is there.

Don't get me wrong I have sympathy for ETH it's a bad situation but he's not handling it well and ultimately all managers do have to deal with such times. It isn't so simple as he has good or bad players to select from so win/loss.

I dont have any basis for this other than anecdotal evidence, but I don't think Mount was ETH's first choice for that Midfield slot. He spent a summer chasing a progressive ball carrier in FDJ, there were then some links to him again in this summer which came to nothing. I could be wrong but I can't think of anyone of the profile of FDJ that was available and attainable for the fee we paid for Mount, so I think ETH made the best of a situation and chose to sign Mount and make a tactical change. There is also the Home Grown situation to think about which may have played a part.

I think you can criticise ETH for certain signings that were obviously his pick, but I'm not 100% sure he went to the recruitment team and insisted that Mount must be his priority. I do think he asked to get his preferred Midfielder and Goalkeeper in first as they would have the most influence tactically especially if the team was changing system and Mount was being asked to play a role unfamiliar to him.

Yeah I think you could be right with this. It seemed such an odd transfer. I think it was silly to pay the price we paid for him too. We just have to hope he settles when he's back from injury.

Erik needs to find a solution to our current form or we will be looking for a new manager come Christmas again.

One thing I don't understand on a separate note with regards to the keeper. Since he got lobbed in pre season he has been stuck to his line like glue. Do we think he's been told to stay on his line? I know he will come forward with the ball a bit but nothing like the early few games.

Here we go again, leaks leaks leaks and not to mention an agenda by the media, Samuel being the top of the tree, he never approved of ETH in the first place

Will be an ETH inner till the end but am very awake to the possibility we might find out we have bottled the first couple hundred mil of the rebuild. Hopefully we get loaded owners who don't mind restarting another new rebuild with the lessons we have learned. More football savvy people in the hierarchy and let them help him with or without his approval.

He's got a decimated squad at the moment, let's see what happens when he has a fully fit squad, in the meantime, let's hope that come January some of the obvious cliques in the dressing room clearly trying to undermine the manager are out of the club once and for all.

We’ve also made every player look shit. How can people say the problem is everything but the club at this stage? At some point they have to just stop looking outside the club for the answers.

100%. the problem is the club and it always will be while the Glazers remain.

What led you to that conclusion?
I think it’s the most logical conclusion. Whenever people start to get at him his PR team strikes, trying to shift the blame for his shit performances and lack of effort. Happened under Ole, Jose and Rangnick. His PR is unrivalled, it’s unbelievable people still actually fall for it.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Rashford tbh.
Yes. The player who starts every week and is constantly praised by his manager is definitely the first one I thought of when hearing about players moaning about being unfairly criticised. Nice agenda.

It’ll be Sancho’s agent talking bullshit. Or made up nonsense by Luckhurst. The sooner we start winning the sooner this bullshit will stop for a bit.

Rashford must be annoyed that ten hag always plays his favourites, even though he always plays. Great theory.

I think this point gets lost a lot but he wanted Antony early in the window can't remember the quoted figures 40 million? Somewhere there. Had the club not dithered around he would have looked a lot better value. Instead they messed around and massively over paid for him. He is a system player nothing more.

Mount is still open for debate but I was never a fan of his. Hopefully he comes good.

Exactly the club waited and waited until the team was beaten comfortably a few times, then panicked and overpaid...how that is EtH's fault is beyond me.

Unless you expect the United manager to coach, scout, negotiate deals and discipline the squad, while everyone else at the club gets off without taking any responsibility whatsoever.

I’ll bet any money this is Scott’s leak.
This is why the squad needed a clear out. The same snakes will throw another manager under the bus so they can all stay together and rinse the club dry.

I’ll bet any money this is Scott’s leak.
This is why the squad needed a clear out. The same snakes will throw another manager under the bus so they can all stay together and rinse the club dry.

He criticised Rashford (indirectly) for the Sane goal post the Bayern game for a lack of determination.

I hope people don't underestimate how big this story is.

If this is true, it basically signals the start of the end for him.

Like clockwork. So predictable :lol: Easy to figure out who they are. January can't come quick enough.
That’s their problem now, there’s so many players out injured or signed by Ten Hag that could even be his favourites that it shines a light on who’s left.
I’m guessing they wanted hand jobs and steak dinners all round for their performances this season. Imo they haven’t been criticised enough

Status
Not open for further replies.